Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Razzled posted:

ducats are good and nice

please do not disparage their good name just because you ride japcrap

The land of Mussolini has better engineering and design than Hitler and Emperor Hirohito, yeah sure. :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Ducati makes the best naked ever if the extent of your naked bike experience is the Honda 599.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I've heard him for some time, but haven't actually seen him until now.
There's some idiot who rides around our neighborhood on an old ninja 500 with a straight pipe. It sounds godawful, and he revs it up and goes WOT from stop sign to stop sign.
I suddenly feel like an old curmudgeon.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I washed my bike and put two coats of MEGUIAR'S TECH WAX NXT 2.0 on it and now the gas tank is super slippery :saddowns:

sure is shiny though

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

its all nice on rice posted:

There's some idiot who rides around our neighborhood on an old ninja 500 with a straight pipe. It sounds godawful, and he revs it up and goes WOT from stop sign to stop sign.

Would you feel that way if it were a DRZ-400SM blapping around the neighborhood?

I smile when I hear our neighborhood motard

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Razzled posted:

please do not disparage their good name just because you ride japcrap

Harleyowners.txt

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

its all nice on rice posted:

I think every bike should be silent and I absolutely hate braaping. A douchebro keeps telling me to get a carbon fiber slipon instead of the beautiful, massive, stainless steel cock that is the zrx's stock exhaust. I keep trying to explain that I have worked the grave shift in the past and if someone in my neighborhood woke me up regularly with an obnoxious vehicle it would end poorly.

I dunno, I think a muffler should.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Chichevache posted:

beautiful, massive, stainless steel cock

Mods, name change please

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I can't tell if my bike is loud because I always wear earplugs. :v:

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Chichevache posted:

I think every bike should be silent and I absolutely hate braaping. A douchebro keeps telling me to get a carbon fiber slipon instead of the beautiful, massive, stainless steel cock that is the zrx's stock exhaust. I keep trying to explain that I have worked the grave shift in the past and if someone in my neighborhood woke me up regularly with an obnoxious vehicle it would end poorly.

I dunno, I think a muffler should.

But you owned two DRZs

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

clutchpuck posted:

Would you feel that way if it were a DRZ-400SM blapping around the neighborhood?

I smile when I hear our neighborhood motard

If they're doing it at 1am yeah. This guy is usually farting around later at night, and it's annoying.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Marxalot posted:

But you owned two DRZs

When I bought my DRZ it had a Yoshi slipon with the baffling removed. Literally the first thing I did was have a mechanic perform a basic fluid check and replace the exhaust with the stock muffler. Stock my DRZ400S was pretty quiet for a thumper. I don't know if the SM has a different exhaust.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The SM is quiet stock as well. I had a wide open full MRD system on my DRZ-SM, its the loudest (and most powerful) system made for the DRZ.

My last two bikes have retained their stock exhaust. I actually think I have some sort of record for owning an SV with 17K miles that still has a stock exhaust,

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I feel bad running my DRZ with the choke on in the morning, so I understand Chiche. But the stock exhaust sounds so nice when it just putters along.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Space Whale posted:

Minage a cati

More like minger-a-cati.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

I'm keeping the XT mostly stock for now, but I'm eyeing a Delkevic pipe. They helpfully just have strap mounts and a custom midpipe so they can just offer any of their cans for any bike. 9" shawty, maybe? I wonder how much brap this 225 has.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

My DRZ has a FMF Titanium 4 full system on it, and it's uncomfortably loud. I ended up buying the Quiet Core part for it, which helps keep it reasonable. It's still loud, but at least I can putt around the neighborhood in the morning without waking everyone within a three block radius. The other side of the coin is that when I do let the DRZ wide open it sounds amazing.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
My DRZ came with a full Yoshi RS-2 when I bought it. Even with the insert, it was stupid loud.

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.
Big bore DR790, full exhaust with no silencer. Even with how offensively loud it is, people merge into me.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Isolationist posted:

Big bore DR790, full exhaust with no silencer. Even with how offensively loud it is, people merge into me.

Because despite whatever logic loud pipes save lives people use, you can't hear poo poo from loud pipes in a car unless the bike is directly in front of you.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Also because everyone is using their cellphone so you could literally be a full orchestra and it wouldn't matter.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Isolationist posted:

Maybe it's a sign that loud pipes only wake up babies, upset neighbors, and set off car alarms?

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
I've been told my little 125 sounds like a police siren whine when I'm slowing down for a stop.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Finger Prince posted:

Because despite whatever logic loud pipes save lives people use, you can't hear poo poo from loud pipes in a car unless the bike is directly in front of you.

LOL, my old Ulysses with a dirt bike pipe would part traffic like Moses parted the Red Sea

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

LOL, my old Ulysses with a dirt bike pipe would part traffic like Moses parted the Red Sea

People were probably just nervous of the vibrating blur spitting assorted bolts out that they saw slowly approaching in their rear view.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Finger Prince posted:

People were probably just nervous of the vibrating blur spitting assorted bolts out that they saw slowly approaching in their rear view.

Not to mention the death-like rictus of a man frantically repeating to himself "THIS IS A GOOD MOTORBIKE THIS IS A GOOD MOTORBIKE THIS IS A GOOD MOTORBIKE" through teeth clenched to stop them from being shaken clear out of his head.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
After 12+ years of riding of which 5+ have been in Seattle I finally had a bike get knocked over while parked. I've had bikes moved, spraypainted, license plates and a battery stolen, but never knocked over. That I knew of, anyway.

Most surprising is that the driver left a note with their name, number, and place of work (around the corner from where it happened). I left them a message earlier. We'll see how that goes.

Damage to the Zuma 125 is modest: broken brake lever, hand guard, and rear turn signal, and slightly bent handlebars - totaling $56 on Partzilla. If I count the tiny scratches to some body panels that tally quadruples but the bike's so weathered it's not worth the effort. I'm having my mechanic quote out labor even though it's all easy DIY stuff, just to have that info in hand. The bars are so slightly bent I bet if anyone else got on they wouldn't notice - it's not visible - but I can tell.

Riding home in fresh rain with no rear brake wasn't ideal, but other than that and the very-slightly-bent bars the bike is fine.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Not to mention the death-like rictus of a man frantically repeating to himself "THIS IS A GOOD MOTORBIKE THIS IS A GOOD MOTORBIKE THIS IS A GOOD MOTORBIKE" through teeth clenched to stop them from being shaken clear out of his head.

Finger Prince posted:

So the closest you've seen one is a picture on the internet

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Darn kids spitting off motorway bridges :argh:

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

clutchpuck posted:

I've always imagined your Buells as being like those clapped together apocalypse bikes from the old Mad Max movies.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

clutchpuck posted:

Actually I've seen a few Buells in the flesh and they're not that bad-looking but definitely not for me. I just have to prop up the crippling insecurity that leads a man to buy a blood-red Italian motorcycle for his 4-mile commute by dissiing everyone else and their choice of motorcycles.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I have always thought that buells were great looking motorcycles, and excellent mechanically, with lot's of features (vtwin) that make them a very desireable motorcycle... in the absence of any other motorcycle to compare them to. The xb12 is a stunning and cool bike, until you realize that it's not your only choice.

I still want to ride one. Maybe I'll be die hard for buell some day.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Coydog posted:

I have always thought that buells were great looking motorcycles, and excellent mechanically, with lot's of features (vtwin) that make them a very desireable motorcycle... in the absence of any other motorcycle to compare them to. The xb12 is a stunning and cool bike, until you realize that it's not your only choice.

I still want to ride one. Maybe I'll be die hard for buell some day.

I've learned to never talk poo poo on other bikes because one day you'll wake up and find a reason, any reason, that it looks "better" than what you have now. I was one of those assholes that poo poo on cruisers for years, but today one of my coworkers pulled up on an HD Forty-Eight with spoked wheels and I'm falling for that thing hard. It's so goddamn pretty, and a big torquey v-twin, relaxed riding position, that front tire. :swoon:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Ripoff posted:

I've learned to never talk poo poo on other bikes because one day you'll wake up and find a reason, any reason, that it looks "better" than what you have now. I was one of those assholes that poo poo on cruisers for years, but today one of my coworkers pulled up on an HD Forty-Eight with spoked wheels and I'm falling for that thing hard. It's so goddamn pretty, and a big torquey v-twin, relaxed riding position, that front tire. :swoon:

Say goodbye to your coccyx.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It's fun sometimes being the designated "bike guy" at school because I always show up ATGATT. It does get me into a lot of situations like the one today:

:v: Hey man I rode on the highway for the first time yesterday on a 900rr! It was so scary!
:eng101: Yeah, it can be unerving the first couple of times. All that wind, and so many cars around you.
:v: OH YEAH espescially when you go into a tank slapper on some of those bumps. Like there is a 2 inch one that really makes it happen, you know?
:eng101: No... I don't. Are you sure that bike was ok? It sounds like a bearing in the wheel or triples is bad, or something.
:v: It was a streetfighter and a real rat trap bike. Anyway, I am going to get a honda shadow 600 soon I think.
:eng101: Oh, that's a good bike. People like those-
:v: Yeah I'm gonna convert it to a cafe racer!
:eng101: oh don't do that. Just get a ninja 250 if you need those ergos and-
:v: yeah but thats a little 250. They say that you need 600 or more for your first bike.
:eng101: That's a myth, besides the ex250 is faster than a shadow 600, and faster than most cars on the road. You wouldn't say most cars were unsafe to drive on the highway. For honda shadow money, you could get a really good ex250 that you could learn more from and would treat you better.
:v: Nah, I'm gonna get a shadow and convert it to a cafe racer. I can't be riding a cruiser, you know. I hate those.
:eng101: Then... don't buy a cruiser. Get a nice standard like an ex250 and sell it for the same or more in the spring and upgrade to whatever you want.
:v: I think I'm just gonna make a cafe racer. I love how those look!
:eng101: Go for it! It's a shadow, so nothing of value will be lost!

Why is it that everyone who "kinda sorta plans to get a motorcycle" only wants a cafe?! Why is this fad still popular? Are there not enough poorly made cafe projects to buy from craigslist at this point that you feel you need to spew one more abomination into the world?

I'm awaiting the day when 90s sportbikes are the new fad. I guess it's easier to ruin a bike by cutting things off and away, than it is to get your hands on pristine plastics. 90s vinyl kits should come back into style to install on modern bikes, though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Coydog posted:

Why is it that everyone who "kinda sorta plans to get a motorcycle" only wants a cafe?! Why is this fad still popular?

Instagram and Tumblr.

I mean we've got one of em in our own forum too:

JHVH-1 posted:

I think if I was looking for a first bike again I would look at the Suzuki S40 Boulevard.
Then keep it and buy one of the Ryca motors kits to turn it into a cafe racer or something.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 3, 2016

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Coydog posted:

I'm awaiting the day when 90s sportbikes are the new fad. I guess it's easier to ruin a bike by cutting things off and away, than it is to get your hands on pristine plastics. 90s vinyl kits should come back into style to install on modern bikes, though.

The skill/item in demand will be custom steel tubing so you can make a subframe to mount whatever original fairings you can find onto somebody's ex-cafe project bike

Then down the road you'll get people buying bonnevilles specifically to put plastics on :magical:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lol if you are building a cafe racer in tyool 2016

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Lol if you are building a cafe racer in tyool 2016

The next cool thing will be chopping up faired bikes to make scramblers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
what if I buy a cafe racer and put a dustbin fairing on it, those are still cool right