Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

moller posted:

I actually have an apartment with an electric range for once - Boo! But on the upside, I now have an electric oven and access to a self clean cycle. I am wondering however - the electric oven has a heating element that covers the "floor" and I'm led to believe you have to remove the oven racks for the self clean cycle or they warp.

So, uh, where do I put the cast iron I'm trying to strip?

All I know is that you should never ever put anything directly on the floor of your oven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I use a gas oven with a flat bottom. If you have exposed heating elements on the bottom you could put your iron up on bricks so it's not touching the element.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
I have an cast iron dutch oven with an enameled exterior/outside. How much heat does this handle if I put it in the oven to clean/season?

copen
Feb 2, 2003
Misread that, I wouldn't put it through an oven cleaning cycle. But should be fine around 350 degrees which is plenty to season it. Use some steel wool to even out the old seasoning.

copen fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Sep 23, 2016

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

I'm sorry John, I don't remember
This was my recent journey: old rusted cast iron, remove most of the seasoning & rust and re-seasoned 6 times using Sheryl Canter's guide with 100% organic flaxseed oil. It was a lot of time and work so hopefully it was worth it.

I also think the reason my pan was so rusted was a mixture of bad seasoning from before and the fact I used to clean it out by simmering water in the pan, clearly that was stupid.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

whatupdet posted:

I also think the reason my pan was so rusted was a mixture of bad seasoning from before and the fact I used to clean it out by simmering water in the pan, clearly that was stupid.

It was only "stupid" because of the bad seasoning, a good seasoning will hold up to water just fine, even soapy water.

New finish looks drat good.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
I'm 4 flax seasonings in to a lodge pan myself and it's looking like the middle picture. I'll be happy if it's like the final result by #6.

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

I took pictures after each seasoning coat but only uploaded pics of coats 1 & 6 because I couldn't see the differences between each coat, needless to say I was very pleased how it turned out.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

If the seasoning is taking too many coats you can try putting less oil on or turning your oven up higher. I was doing 500F and ended up turning up to 550F before it started looking better each time.

It's also important to note that some ovens are way out of calibration so we could say 550 but its only hitting 400 something.

Most ovens can be recalibrated pretty simply. many times there is a service pamphlet in a plastic envelope either on the back of the oven or inside the metal cover around the control panel.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Nabokoffin posted:

Misread that, I wouldn't put it through an oven cleaning cycle. But should be fine around 350 degrees which is plenty to season it. Use some steel wool to even out the old seasoning.

I scrubbed it a bit and did 2 seasonings with canola oil and now it's great and pitch black. thanks!

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

Does this look the same to you guys as it does to me? To me it looks like I burnt off the seasoning, there goes 6 coats down the drain. I thought the seasoning would stand very high temperatures but apparently not high on my burner.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Did you just let an empty pan sit on the stove on High for a long time? Don't do that. If you're searing steaks or something you're really shooting for like 400 degrees, not Glowing Red Hot.

Cast iron maintenance: cook bacon sometimes, clean your pan gently shortly after using, smoke a bowl, take it easy.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

less fuss more bacon

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Re: Stripping seasoning; The best way might be chemicals, or high heat. But the most FUN way is a blasting cabinet and walnut shells.

:v:

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

whatupdet posted:

Does this look the same to you guys as it does to me? To me it looks like I burnt off the seasoning, there goes 6 coats down the drain. I thought the seasoning would stand very high temperatures but apparently not high on my burner.

Welcome to cast iron! I made the exact same mistake - as others have already said, even though some recipes say to get the pan as hot as possible they don't mean it literally. Extremely loving frustrating to learn the hard way.

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

Very frustrating indeed, lesson learned. Looks like my evenings this week will be filled with re-seasoning.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Or, you know, not. Are you trying to make a pan with a flawless mirror shine, or tasty food? The former is not required for the latter.

copen
Feb 2, 2003
Yeah I abuse the hell out of my cast iron pans and they cook just fine. When I scorch the seasoning like that i might wipe some oil on it and let it sit on mediumish heat till it starts smoking. Turn of the burner and wipe of the excess and that's it

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Cast iron goons, I need your help. I put my Lodge 10 incher thru the oven self-cleaning a couple weeks ago, for only 2.5 hours. This produced quite a pile of brown particles on the sheet of foil I set below it. But the pan still had a tinge of brown. I seasoned it anyway and tried it out, but wasn't happy with it.

On Thursday morning I put it in the oven and did the self-clean for 4 hours, I did this in the morning before I went to work and didn't get home until late that evening (I know, risk of fire and all). When I got home my roommate had taken it out and set it aside, so I didn't see the result it produced as he cleaned up any mess it left behind.

It was still pretty rusty looking so I put some water & vinegar in it and let it sit for over an hour. After that it looks even worse:

http://imgur.com/a/hSwF7

So what's the next step here, for getting the rust out? Is electrolysis my only hope? I don't have the resources for that but I could see about getting them if it's my best choice.

I did pick up a fresh quart of white vinegar. I also got an 8oz bottle of organic flax oil from Whole Foods to season with. Just wondering what my best next step here is.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
Scrub it with some vinegar and a stiff bristled brush, rinse with plain water, put it on the stove to completely dry it, after it's dry immediately put a coating of oil on it and season it.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
What Biscuit Joiner joiner said. You`ll need to go after that rust with something abrasive. Vinegar might help but that rust will need to be scrubbed off with wire brushes, sand paper, steel wool, or green scrubbing pads. Dry and oil immediately or you`ll see where the name `flash rust` comes from.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Hexigrammus posted:

What Biscuit Joiner joiner said. You`ll need to go after that rust with something abrasive. Vinegar might help but that rust will need to be scrubbed off with wire brushes, sand paper, steel wool, or green scrubbing pads. Dry and oil immediately or you`ll see where the name `flash rust` comes from.

Well I scrubbed white vinegar into it with a green scouring pad, rinsed off and set it on a hot stove burner, and it came out more rusty than before. Tried it twice, same result. It's back in the oven for another self-clean cycle, 3 hours.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Steel wool until the rust is gone.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Cleaning cycle won't remove rust, just seasoning. You'll need steel wool/wire wheel on a drill/angle grinder and a gently caress off attitude to take care of that.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Well poo poo, only 1:54 to go.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Dremel 1in Rust Remover bit. And a dremel.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Tried scrubbing with steel wool and white vinegar, but I'm probably not strong enough as it made very little difference. I've got the pan soaking in 4 cups white vinegar + 4 cups water for now. I have friends I can talk to about the methods involving tools.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Stop that. The only thing vinegar is going to to is make it worse. It's likely the reason you're having flash rust issues in the first place. This is the reason why we say not to cook with acid if your seasoning is poor.

Try scrubbing it with dish soap and water instead of vinegar. Rinse it very well when you are done, then dry on heat and season it.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 18, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
hay guys my iron is corroded, I'ma clean it with corrosives ok

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Post a pic, light surface rust will wipe off with vinegar, heavy rust will take a wire wheel or paint/rust remover disc in a drill.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

my turn in the barrel posted:

Post a pic, light surface rust will wipe off with vinegar...

I already took that advice, I was told to stop that.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Have you tried vinegar

(But for real, it looks like you're getting flash rust from the moisture in the vinegar. Heat dry the pan and sand with a scouring pad to remove, then warm and oil the panto start seasoning)

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Oct 23, 2016

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Wilford Cutlery posted:

my turn in the barrel posted:

Post a pic, light surface rust will wipe off with vinegar, heavy rust will take a wire wheel or paint/rust remover disc in a drill.

I'm in the process of seasoning several items for a video that will hopefully shed some goony light on the process.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Media blasting > all other rust removal methods.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Okay, so a while back I picked up these:

Borrowed a drill and went to town on it. Here's how it turned out:

That's after a good couple hours at it. Am I right in thinking that's rust I see in some of the pics there?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Those look drat good to me. And I know from gun threads that light in pictures can often make it look like rust where there is none. I'd start seasoning asap before the rust sets in.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Not enough to worry about. I would wipe it with vinegar, rinse with water, wipe with a paper towel then dry on the stove burner. While warm apply flax and begin the seasoning process.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Okay thanks goons, looking forward to making my skillet great again :buddy:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Wilford Cutlery posted:

making my skillet great again :buddy:
:bravo: :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is there any reason to prefer a bare dutch oven over an enamelled one?