Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If I somehow come in to a few hundred thousand dollars I would buy one of the two youth hostels on Yakushima and just live out the next 40 years there until I died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I'm in Sapporo and it's cool. The food is good

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Anyone have suggestions for events (festivals, art shows, etc) to see in Tokyo from Nov 20th to Nov 27th? Everything I've found seems to occur in early-mid November.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I've got a daytime party on November 23, I've rented one of the suites in my building. Are you a goon or are you goony? Because there may or may not be girls there.

Edit: And you may find some of them accommodating

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Sep 14, 2016

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I am a goon and goony. That's a long way in the future dude.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

I'm assuming goony is less bad than being a goon, so I'd say goony.

But I'm curious what sort of social behavior would classify someone as a goon.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If you have to ask...

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

.Z. posted:

I'm assuming goony is less bad than being a goon, so I'd say goony.

But I'm curious what sort of social behavior would classify someone as a goon.

I think you've lost your invite to the party

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

ALFbrot posted:

I think you've lost your invite to the party

:shrug:

I want horror stories

:getin:

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Being "a goon" just means "registered poster on the Something Awful forums"
Being "goony" means you're a socially intolerable misanthrope who labors under delusions of being the edgy funny guy in a group, or you are a wreck of a human who lurks around gawking at any member of your chosen sex, or you know not the basic tenets of social interaction regarding personal hygiene and space, or you're the 30-something who never quite moved on from their days quoting Monty Python in middle school, or, or, or..

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

ALFbrot posted:

Being "goony" means you're a socially intolerable misanthrope who labors under delusions of being the edgy funny guy in a group, or you are a wreck of a human who lurks around gawking at any member of your chosen sex, or you know not the basic tenets of social interaction regarding personal hygiene and space, or you're the 30-something who never quite moved on from their days quoting Monty Python in middle school, or, or, or..

turn on youre moniter lol

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

ALFbrot posted:

What if you want to go to Japan and volunteer your time in a farm on a tourist visa?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I'd recommend working on a farm on a tourist visa in China instead. It's a better cultural experience.

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011
Anyone have any advice for our third trip to Japan next April? We were thinking of staying around north kanto and southern tohoku. We'd be there three weeks, haven't been to Nikko yet and thought it would be nice to maybe travel up to Sendai (not too far north though).

Primarily going to be pretty chilled out visit, staying in airbnbs for four nights or so with a couple of ryokan visits and maybe an onsen town. Just want to eat good food, do a little shopping and visit a few national parks and temples. It's a little confusing picking a few cities to base ourselves in. Nikko would be a day trip from somewhere, is Sendai a nice place to stay?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I used to live at the end of the Utsunomiya line on the north end of Tochigi. It's a really nice area. My friend just opened a hostel there in July and I stayed there when I went to visit some friends. Definitely recommend.

chus-nasu.com

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Yo, question for goons who are married to a Japanese national and then returned back to their home country, ideally asking people from the United States. My wife and I are starting the process here pretty shortly, and we want to do it from Japan. Do you all remember if the process limited the travel of the spouse during the time? Like will the American embassy have my wife's passport, making her unable to leave the country? There's a decent amount of information out there about what exactly we have to do, but I'm having trouble finding if my wife will be unable to leave Japan while the process is going on. It doesn't really matter one way or another to us, it will just dictate how much longer I'll be at my job, and how much more time I can spend in Japan. I'm kinda hoping she can't leave Japan during the process, because that's like another half year that I'll get to chill in Japan, and that is cool and good, IMO.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

The Great Autismo! posted:

Yo, question for goons who are married to a Japanese national and then returned back to their home country, ideally asking people from the United States. My wife and I are starting the process here pretty shortly, and we want to do it from Japan. Do you all remember if the process limited the travel of the spouse during the time? Like will the American embassy have my wife's passport, making her unable to leave the country? There's a decent amount of information out there about what exactly we have to do, but I'm having trouble finding if my wife will be unable to leave Japan while the process is going on. It doesn't really matter one way or another to us, it will just dictate how much longer I'll be at my job, and how much more time I can spend in Japan. I'm kinda hoping she can't leave Japan during the process, because that's like another half year that I'll get to chill in Japan, and that is cool and good, IMO.

If you have any detailed questions feel free to PM me or ask in the immigration thread in Ask/Tell, but I've gone through this process and can hopefully remember the important stuff. Anyways to answer your question, you only hand over the passport at the final interview after your petition has been approved by USCIS, forwarded to the NVC, and you've gotten your third notice of action and filled out the attached boatload of forms they give you with that that need to be submitted to the NVC/embassy. So yes they'll have the passport but in our case it was some irrelevant amount of time that didn't matter like a month or two out of the ~eight month process.

Some stuff worth mentioning: it is possible to fly in on ESTA/VWP and then file for adjustment of status, but there are a bunch of caveats (your spouse can still be removed from the country even though you've filed I-485, for example). It's honestly a lot easier to just do the entire process from Japan if you can, that way as soon as your spouse crosses the border they're a permanent resident and you're basically done. Whatever you do I would strongly discourage you from attempting to visit America during the process since that'll throw tons of red flags up to USCIS. Also don't be one of those idiots who wastes money on an immigration lawyer. The process is dead easy for spouses & immediate relatives of citizens if either of you can read English at a high school level and your spouse hasn't been previously deported.

Edit: you should be following this.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 16, 2016

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Chill in Japan 4eva imo

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Sheep posted:

If you have any detailed questions feel free to PM me or ask in the immigration thread in Ask/Tell, but I've gone through this process and can hopefully remember the important stuff. Anyways to answer your question, you only hand over the passport at the final interview after your petition has been approved by USCIS, forwarded to the NVC, and you've gotten your third notice of action and filled out the attached boatload of forms they give you with that that need to be submitted to the NVC/embassy. So yes they'll have the passport but in our case it was some irrelevant amount of time that didn't matter like a month or two out of the ~eight month process.

Some stuff worth mentioning: it is possible to fly in on ESTA/VWP and then file for adjustment of status, but there are a bunch of caveats (your spouse can still be removed from the country even though you've filed I-485, for example). It's honestly a lot easier to just do the entire process from Japan if you can, that way as soon as your spouse crosses the border they're a permanent resident and you're basically done. Whatever you do I would strongly discourage you from attempting to visit America during the process since that'll throw tons of red flags up to USCIS. Also don't be one of those idiots who wastes money on an immigration lawyer. The process is dead easy for spouses & immediate relatives of citizens if either of you can read English at a high school level and your spouse hasn't been previously deported.

Edit: you should be following this.

Thank you for this. We are going to Hawaii in early December and then may make a trip the continental States, may not. She has an ESTA right now, but we want to get the process started early next year and have no plans to enter the United States during the entire process. We will be in either China or Japan at least until next fall/when the process is finished.

peanut posted:

Chill in Japan 4eva imo

obv this is ideal

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

peanut posted:

Chill in Japan 4eva imo

I might do this.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

The Great Autismo! posted:

Thank you for this. We are going to Hawaii in early December and then may make a trip the continental States, may not. She has an ESTA right now, but we want to get the process started early next year and have no plans to enter the United States during the entire process. We will be in either China or Japan at least until next fall/when the process is finished.

You'll want to remain in the country where you applied until granted a visa since that's whose local consulate and hospital you will be dealing with for the medical. Not sure how it'd work applying from Japan and then moving to China mid-process but sounds like a massive headache and 110% not something I'd want to deal with.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Sheep posted:

You'll want to remain in the country where you applied until granted a visa since that's whose local consulate and hospital you will be dealing with for the medical. Not sure how it'd work applying from Japan and then moving to China mid-process but sounds like a massive headache and 110% not something I'd want to deal with.

We are living in China, I've been here seven years and she's been here nine. We have the residency permits for China, but my wife is from Kyushu and we want to do the process in Japan. She gave birth in Kyushu the end of last year and has been there like 9 months in the past year, she's just back in China now. We are trying to figure out exactly how we want to deal with the next few months/year, because my work contract is up at the end of November, I'm going through contract negotiations right now and they are predictably and hilariously Chinese, and we are wondering what the travel restrictions will be once she starts applying for the visa to the States. It's not a bad flight from where we are (Tianjin) to where we need to go (Kyushu) with a simple connection in Seoul, but if the travel is limited we aren't thrilled with the possibility of my wife and son being in Japan for like six months while I work in China alone. We'll figure it out, I appreciate the help and advice.

Anyway, that's my family story, thanks for reading

Also Japan is better than China, thanks for reading

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Apply and do the process from your current country of residence, don't overcomplicate things by trying to do it in a third country. The fact that your spouse is Japanese doesn't mean you need to include Japan in the equation at all aside from maybe grabbing a copy of their koseki.

Anyways this is one hell of a derail so if you want to talk more about this I'd recommend using the US immigration thread in A/T.

Edit: vvvv And under what SOR are you going to be in Japan? Spouse of a citizen? Similarly to America you have to show that someone earns enough money to support you in order to immigrate if you don't have a certificate of eligibility yourself. They've been cracking down on the chain-tourist visa situation for over a decade now so hopefully you aren't planning to go that route.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 16, 2016

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'll just answer this because it is topical with Japan, because I will compare it to China, by saying I would rather be repeatedly kicked in the balls than going to the American embassy in Beijing, if we are stuck in Japan for 8 months that's totally fine by me, because Japan is awesome, and everyone should go there.

I could quit my job tomorrow if need be, nothing is keeping us here other than money, and we are getting to the point with a 9 month old that we don't even care about that anymore.

I'll check out the immigration thread and will drop by when we are moving this process forward, thanks for the suggestions!

edit: It would be nice if I could get a spouse visa, but I think we'd have to go through a proxy applicant, because my wife worked here in China the past nine years. We have a joint bank account in Japan that shows we could live there for a while with no problem, but we may have to get one of her parents to be proxy applicant it looks like. Or I just stay in China and keep working while she does all the application stuff back in Japan, and I continue to make monthly trips over for a week or so like I did last year/earlier this year. That's not ideal, but we can make it work if need be. I'll swing by the immigration thread in the not too distant future!

The Great Autismo! fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 16, 2016

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
You shouldn't have any issues at all with immigration if you do it in Fukuoka. You are married and have a kid. Easy stuff. There is even a dude there who helps you fill out the forms and makes sure you have the documents you need. If you don't have the documents they give you an envelope and tell you to send them the documents.

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

totalnewbie posted:

I used to live at the end of the Utsunomiya line on the north end of Tochigi. It's a really nice area. My friend just opened a hostel there in July and I stayed there when I went to visit some friends. Definitely recommend.

chus-nasu.com

Thanks! We've actually been looking into Utsunomiya, I think our rough plan is coupled days Tokyo-Utsonomiya for like 4/5 nights, somewhere in Fukushima for a couple of nights (maybe around Aizu/Kitakawa then to Sendai for a week before going back down to Toyko. Will try to fit a ryokan night or two in somewhere and a few day trips out of Sendai and Utsonomiya.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ned posted:

You shouldn't have any issues at all with immigration if you do it in Fukuoka. You are married and have a kid. Easy stuff. There is even a dude there who helps you fill out the forms and makes sure you have the documents you need. If you don't have the documents they give you an envelope and tell you to send them the documents.

Yeah when I went to the American embassy in Fukuoka the guy was super helpful and nice. It was like, the best embassy experience ever. If I have to do anything there moving forward, I'm not feeling all that worried, though I think we'll have to go through Naha or Tokyo when the immigration to the States stuff comes down. As for getting a spouse visa in Japan, if we are doing it through Fukuoka, I'm not worried at all.

Good to hear from you man, hope all is well with you!

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Welcome to Fukuoka, go Fukuoka yourself heh

SPM
Jan 7, 2009
I'm coming back to Tokyo for my second time and I'm after some recommendation of things to do that I might have missed previously.
Arriving Fri 11th Nov and
leaving 17th Nov

I'm planning on finding a hostel in Asakusa as that is where I stayed last time, unless someone recommends somewhere else?

Are there any sports being played around that time? Baseball or sumo? Something else?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I bought way too little candy in Japan during my trip last week, so I want to buy more.

Assuming I really liked this stuff (Alfort green tea chocolate/cookies in particular), what else do you recommend I should look for on amazon?

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Anyone have any experience with using a pocket wifi while in Japan? Is it easy to pick it up at the post office in Narita Airport?

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
The AirBNB I had for a couple weeks came with one, so I can't tell you anything about how to get one, but the big problem I had with mine was the battery life. It only lasted maybe 4-5 hours if I left it on, so either be prepared to turn yours on and off a lot or carry a backup battery to keep it topped up. I had no real problems with reception or speed, although I didn't go very far off the beaten path.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Helios Grime posted:

Anyone have any experience with using a pocket wifi while in Japan? Is it easy to pick it up at the post office in Narita Airport?

it's easy to pick up and drop off. you can also order ones which deliver to your hotel/address

they are all micro usb and you need a spare battery if you want to last all day long

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Any recommendations on service providers where i can order it online?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

What should I do in Sapporo for a week.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Drink Sapporo.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

name change confusingngngngg

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

What's the best way to get a card that works in overseas ATMs in Japan? I want to move some of my Japan money to Holland, but I still don't quite get the way banks work here. I have a Japan Post account, which just issued me a stripless ATM card which doesn't work anywhere else in the world. Is there a bank which gives me a real, Maestro-like card that will let me withdraw from foreign ATMs without problems? I'd rather not get a credit card because it hardly seems worth it, and I just use my Dutch mastercard for everything here anyway.

Or should I just do an international transfer? Or physically take my yen and exchange it somewhere? I can't find a lot of good information on this.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
How did I miss the existence of this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Dammit, he found it.