Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

AotC betrayed and murdered my childhood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

euphronius posted:

Rots also looks very good on blue ray hi def. lots of spectacular and gorgeous scenes.
Yeah, ROTS had great transfer on the Blu-rays. Unfortunately, TPM just looks awful on them, which is a shame because aesthetically it's probably my favorite of the saga.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Lord Hydronium posted:

Yeah, ROTS had great transfer on the Blu-rays. Unfortunately, TPM just looks awful on them, which is a shame because aesthetically it's probably my favorite of the saga.

It's a little jarring that the battle droids have such clunky voices in TPM, but are drastically improved as the films go on. In the Clone Wars cartoon, they're fantastic.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Holy poo poo, my six year old got Disney Infinity 3.0 Star Wars set for his birthday (yes, we know it's been discontinued). He's running around as Luke and starts shooting a Jawa. I told him doesn't have to shoot those and he asks, "Are those good guys?" Thinking he's still a bit young to deal with the slavery implications of Star Wars, I said, "Well, they aren't the bad guys....you just don't have to shoot them."

I did not make this up, he asked, "Do they sell droids?" Me, "Yes."

"How can they be good guys if they sell droids?"

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Holy poo poo, my six year old got Disney Infinity 3.0 Star Wars set for his birthday (yes, we know it's been discontinued). He's running around as Luke and starts shooting a Jawa. I told him doesn't have to shoot those and he asks, "Are those good guys?" Thinking he's still a bit young to deal with the slavery implications of Star Wars, I said, "Well, they aren't the bad guys....you just don't have to shoot them."

Oh, Ani.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The final teailer is out and its fuckin great

Darth is gonna kill erryvody

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
The last Rogue One trailer doesn't come out until the end of the month. It's supposed to be attached to Doctor Strange. Not sure what you're watching.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
A cursory YouTube search turned up something called final fan trailer.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Did it feature that Mummy gently caress Dengar or reused Harrison Ford dialogue from Anchorman 2? I still can't believe how many people fell for that one.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=McPq8FPgl6c

Is it a fan trailer? This is what I watched but im kinda drunk and cant reallt focus on it i just see star wars stuff

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Phi230 posted:

Is it a fan trailer? This is what I watched but im kinda drunk and cant reallt focus on it i just see star wars stuff

quote:

[Fan-Made]

This is fan made trailer made by me. In the title, it says "F-M" which stands for "Fan Made" sorry for the inconvenience! I hope you enjoyed my trailer tho!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
poo poo bro I thought the sequence of Vader in slo mo was stupid tbh but him walking with his posse was great. Again, cant really focus so idk if that was from the OT. It prolly was. What a shame

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Phi230 posted:

...im kinda drunk and cant reallt focus on it i just see star wars stuff

This is a p good summary of my life and I'm wondering if I can use it for my tombstone

e: vvvvv I thought the same thing, it's from a BTS clip from months back

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Oct 2, 2016

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Yo in this fanmade trailer it looks like at 1:44 there's like a fuckin doorgunner laughing like its Full Metal Jacket? Is this real?

HOW DO YOU KILL STORMTROOPERS? DEATHTROOPERS?

EASY...

YOU LEAD EM LESS!

it even looks like an M60 wtffffffff

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

You should remind him that Star Wars is about hating George Lucas and not thinking too hard.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Ubering home from her coding class, my two year old daughter Successa turned to me and asked "Father, why would anyone long for the Old Republic when it transformed itself so seamlessly into the Empire?"

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You should remind him that Star Wars is about hating George Lucas and not thinking too hard.

Unironically this

E; okay I missed the post above mine which was funnier.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Unironically this

I just don't understand this attitude, because thinking about movies and shows that I liked and recognizing some deeper meanings in them is so cool.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I know I said this before, but how can that not be interpreted as Obi-Wan wanting Luke to kill Vader? He tells him he has to "face" him, but Luke obviously thinks that means kill. He doesn't say, "I can't face my own father," or, "I can't defeat my own father." When Luke adds precision to Obi-Wan's vague "face," Obi-Wan doesn't correct him or give him other options. It's, "If you don't kill him, we're done."

From his point of view, there are no other options. Obi-Wan doesn't think Vader can be turned because he thinks that Anakin was "destroyed"; when Luke says there's still good in him, Obi-Wan dodges; "He's more machine now than man. Twisted and evil." If he can't be turned and he doesn't want Luke to kill him, what does he want him to do when he "faces" him?

I acknowledged and explained this in my post. Obi-Wan is responding to the fact that Luke says (emphasis mine), "I can't kill my own father." So....what? If it was just some random dude, and nothing else about the situation had changed, Luke could kill him? No, Luke's reasoning doesn't make sense because it isn't based on a solid foundation.

In the initial throne room scenes, the Emperor is able to take advantage of this fact by twisting Luke's love for his father into hate for his father--which is trivially easy for him to do, since love and hate are two sides of the same coin.He did the same thing with Anakin in the prequels: Anakin's greatest virtue was that he loved people too much, and that was also his greatest vice--and it ultimately led him down the road to hate. Palpatine's M.O. never changes. If your love for someone is conditional on them being your father or your mother (or your surrogate father or surrogate mother), then all that has to happen for you to lose compassion for them is for them to let you down.

Luke is reaching the right conclusion, but through the wrong method. He's making decisions purely intuitively when he should be making decisions with a healthy balance of both intuition and rationality. That's the path to unconditional love, which is what defines a true Jedi.

Emphasis mine:

George Lucas posted:

LUCAS: It will be about how young Anakin Skywalker became evil and then was redeemed by his son. But it's also about the transformation of how his son came to find the call and then ultimately realize what it was. Because Luke works intuitively through most of the original trilogy until he gets to the very end. And it's only in the last act--when he throws his sword down and says, "I'm not going to fight this"--that he makes a more conscious, rational decision. And he does it at the risk of his life because the Emperor is going to kill him. It's only that way that he is able to redeem his father. It's not as apparent in the earlier movies, but when you see the next trilogy, then you see the issue is, How do we get Darth Vader back? How do we get him back to that little boy that he was in the first movie, that good person who loved and was generous and kind? Who had a good heart.

http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,23298-4,00.html

Luke begins ROTJ working purely intuitively: "I can't kill my own father, because that's intuitively wrong", and ends ROTJ working more rationally: "I can't kill Vader, not just because he's my father, but because he's a human being just like I am, and all human beings are deserving of mercy."

ROTJ is the synthesis of the message of ANH: "Your eyes can deceive you, don't trust them; let go your conscious self, and act on instinct; trust your feelings" and the seemingly contradictory message of ESB: "Ignore your instincts; use your head; don't go rushing into danger based on nothing but a feeling." Obi-Wan actually synthesizes these contradictions in a very Yoda-esque, Zen way during the conversation in question in ROTJ:

Return of the Jedi posted:

BEN
Your insight serves you well. Bury your feelings deep down, Luke. They
do you credit. But they could be made to serve the Emperor.

Obi-Wan isn't contradicting his advice to Luke in ANH. He's augmenting it, and forcing Luke to think about things in a deeper, more complex way, in the manner of a Zen koan.

And for whatever it's worth, the interpretation that Obi-Wan intended for Luke to do what he did all along has been supported by Lucas (emphasis mine):

quote:

"The part I am working on now is mostly about Darth Vader, who he is, where he came from, how he became Luke and Leia's father, what his relationship to Ben is. In Jedi, the film is really about the redemption of this fallen angel. Ben is the fitting good angel, and Vader is the bad angel who started off good. All these years Ben has been waiting for Luke to come of age so that he can become a Jedi and redeem his father. That's what Ben has been doing, but you don't know this in the first film."

--George Lucas, Star Wars-A New Hope: The Annotated Screenplays, 1997

It's also supported by Dave Filoni, the guy who helmed TCW and had countless personal, in-depth conversations with Lucas regarding core aspects of the series:

Dave Filoni posted:

They never tell Luke to actively go out and save his father. In fact, they say he’s probably going to have to destroy his father. But it’s mainly because they can’t tell him that which he needs to understand — the true enlightenment of “I have to save my father.” They can’t just say it. That makes it easy. Faith isn’t about knowing.

Yeah. It’s not about seeing. It’s about believing.

That’s all in the Yoda arc. It’s a very, very big one, as far as what the Force is all about. And I think that we were very lucky to have George answer our questions before he was gone. But he’s not gone entirely! He’s more like a Force spirit that I can communicate with from time to time! [Laughs]

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Zoran posted:

I just don't understand this attitude, because thinking about movies and shows that I liked and recognizing some deeper meanings in them is so cool.

Certain types of people don't like having a shallow justification for an opinion if other people have a deeper one. So therefore certain things must not deserve a deeper opinion, and if you do have that you're just a "tryhard".

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
You guys!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miVRaoR_8xQ

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sweet god this is an 1:45 minutes long, and where I randomly jumped into it he was babbling about how the Republic and the Resistance are different things but that that's stupid, but I didn't stick around to find out if that was a mock of the critique or a critique itself because he jumped to some other pointless comment and again, living force, this video is almost the same amount of time to watch this as would be to watch the film.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Cnut, what's your take on Obi-Wan hiding Vader's true identity from Luke?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Barudak posted:

Sweet god this is an 1:45 minutes long, and where I randomly jumped into it he was babbling about how the Republic and the Resistance are different things but that that's stupid, but I didn't stick around to find out if that was a mock of the critique or a critique itself because he jumped to some other pointless comment and again, living force, this video is almost the same amount of time to watch this as would be to watch the film.

They're cultural critiques, not movie reviews. Anyway I'm only like seven minutes in but it's pretty funny so far. That's their main purpose--if you're not laughing turn it off!

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Zoran posted:

On a dead gay comedy forum though, where SMG trolls/talks about feudalism every 2 pages? Serious discussion of Star Wars (especially regarding the *shudder* prequels) should probably take place on theforce.net forums. I registered an account there in '03 if you want the login creds.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Thank God it's so far dismissed the crazy line drawing side if the argument.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Lines can be a useful visual aid when talking about shot composition.

Serf
May 5, 2011

"People can only discuss certain topics in places that I find acceptable."

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

On a dead gay comedy forum though, where SMG trolls/talks about feudalism every 2 pages? Serious discussion of Star Wars (especially regarding the *shudder* prequels) should probably take place on theforce.net forums. I registered an account there in '03 if you want the login creds.

CD is like the default place I think of when it comes to discussing movies seriously.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Last I checked, TFN was filled with internecine shipping wars.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Cnut, I'm not sure I agree with all your conclusions (or Lucas's, for that matter) but I really appreciate you taking the time to dig up those quotes. It's really fascinating stuff, and I really enjoy reading through it.

I don't need your permission to talk about some movies. By all means, though, if you don't want to discuss them, go right ahead and don't do that.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

What are they saying over there.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It's totally trolling to talk about feudalism when the movies depict feudalism.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I always thought you'd go to poo poo like theforce.net if you wanted to talk about how many space miles to the gallon the Slave 1 took, or what the names of all of Princess Leia's pets were growing up. Dumb poo poo that is considered part of the universe because it showed up on a topps card or on the back of a cereal box.

Also, if the prequels were what changed your mind about what you thought Star Wars was, and not the Holiday Special, the Droids cartoon, the Ewoks cartoons, or any of the other countlessly bad and incessant tie-ins that came before it, then maybe you should be a little less naive about the way you approach your fandom.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I loved The Force Awakens and I also enjoyed the Plinkett's new review. I'm a Star Wars fan.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
:siren: IDIOTIC MILLENIALS RE-THINK THE STAR WARS PREQUELS :siren:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

No need for the redundancy.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Phi230 posted:

This is me. I've done this. But not in the way the review explained.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Being young enough to be able to rethink long held beliefs is really nice and probably would have saved the Jedi. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Phi230 posted:

Here's a movie for you: https://youtu.be/VGyv85zitYg

• Locked thread