Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Shades is just as good, if not better, than Wesley. Marvel Netflix is setting the standard for henchmen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Steve2911 posted:

I'm enjoying it but that is definitely not true.

It is true. I've easily liked this one the best. I couldn't finish JJ and season 2 Daredevil had way too much Punisher.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

tweet my meat posted:

Shades is just as good, if not better, than Wesley. Marvel Netflix is setting the standard for henchmen.

I don't think Shades would have placed a loaded gun on a table between himself and a prisoner. :(

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

... and season 2 Daredevil had way too much Punisher.

I know people like things for different reasons, and people aren't going like things I do, but what?

I think consensus is that DD S2 didn't live up to the promise of the first season, but Punisher was everything that was good about S2. If anything DDS2 was too unfocused and there wasn't enough Punisher.

Actually, I think the real issue is that Netflix needs to stop forcing these into 13 episode narratives. The MCU series are always two or three episodes too long and it feels like padding. Come up with a lean, compelling story arc and then use as many or as few episodes as it takes. Look to Stranger Things for an example of narrative that was no longer or shorter than it needed to be.

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

Yeah, upon viewing four seasons of three different Marvel Netflix shows, it's pretty obvious they'd all do better with 10 episodes instead of 13. Especially if some of those spare episodes could be donated to The Defenders.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Man, episode 10 is fantastic!

radlum
May 13, 2013
Can someone remind me why Kilgrave had Jessica kill Reva?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Luke Cage is good y'all.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

flosofl posted:

I know people like things for different reasons, and people aren't going like things I do, but what?

I think consensus is that DD S2 didn't live up to the promise of the first season, but Punisher was everything that was good about S2. If anything DDS2 was too unfocused and there wasn't enough Punisher.

Actually, I think the real issue is that Netflix needs to stop forcing these into 13 episode narratives. The MCU series are always two or three episodes too long and it feels like padding. Come up with a lean, compelling story arc and then use as many or as few episodes as it takes. Look to Stranger Things for an example of narrative that was no longer or shorter than it needed to be.

I'm the one person who doesn't like the character 'The Punisher'. I liked the Hand and Elektra though.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I'm the one person who doesn't like the character 'The Punisher'. I liked the Hand and Elektra though.

Fair enough. I mean, theoretically people like you exist, I just never expected to see one in the wild. :v:

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

flosofl posted:

I agree with that. The back half of both Daredevil season 2 and Luke Cage suffer a bit from resolving an interesting conflict and then padding out the rest of the series with something less compelling to get to thirteen episodes.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

radlum posted:

Can someone remind me why Kilgrave had Jessica kill Reva?

She was sniffing around Kilgrave's past I think, trying to tie it into the experiment that gave Luke his powers.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
As a character piece. I really enjoyed everyone's story (except Diamondback). Shades was awesome. So was Mariah. Luke Cage was perfect.

It got a bit slow towards the end, but a good ride.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ireallylikeeggs posted:

Yeah, upon viewing four seasons of three different Marvel Netflix shows, it's pretty obvious they'd all do better with 10 episodes instead of 13. Especially if some of those spare episodes could be donated to The Defenders.

That would actually have left enough episodes for a fifth show like Punisher (or to allow Daredevil to be renewed without having to do a new contract with Marvel Studios), as the original deal was for 60 eps, I believe.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Well, I guess we know how the Night Nurse will end up meeting Iron Fist at Colleen Wing's kung-fu class.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Probably the best Marvel Netflix season of television that's aired, definitely better than JJ. It's not perfect - Luke Cage's seventh episode is kind of a mess, and the conceit they give Diamondback so he's a viable threat to Luke is dumb and sells out the entirety of LC's powers, but it's a knowingly black show dealing with black issues and framed within a black consciousness, and unlike JJ it ruminates on greater sociological/philosophical issues without being bogged down in tone. JJ often feels like a Very Serious Show dealing with the Very Serious Topic of Rape Culture, whilst Luke Cage is a show that's about the black experience in America while still being a good superhero show.

It has a wide array of villains while utilizing all of them pretty well, so avoids JJ's issue of being framed entirely around Kilgrave. Cottonmouth and Diamondback are wildly different "main threats", while both Mariah and Shades do unbelievable work in the background as constant menaces.

It's able to complete its own main character's arc and its supporting characters' arcs much, much better than JJ does. And I really, really enjoyed the final confrontation and how texturally different it was then the final confrontations that came before. So yeah, really enjoyed Luke Cage.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

tweet my meat posted:

RIP Wesley, you died too soon for such a great character

Shades is great, and it was nice to see Theo Rossi have a prison stint where he didn't turn into Marilyn Manson's fuckboy

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Luke Cage completed. General whole-series thoughts ahead, so I'm gonna be cautious and spoiler the whole drat thing.

I've never been so happy to see two villains succeed and get away with everything. Mariah and Shades are the new Bonnie and Clyde. :c00lbert:

I complained in another thread that it seemed like they burned through the Cottonmouth story in only five episodes, and I had no idea how right I was-- dude gets offed in, what, episode 6? 7? Either way, in comes Diamondback out of-- well, not out of nowhere. They did a pretty good job of setting him up. But the fact that he was Luke's goddamn illegitimate half-brother-- that came right STRAIGHT the gently caress out of nowhere and felt like the cheesiest most random half-baked bullshit coincidence in the entire universe. It turned the story from pulp to high camp for me. Like, pretty good camp, all things considered, but camp nonetheless. It was completely loving absurd, and Diamondback never felt like anything but a cartoon character-- unlike Cottonmouth, who I was really starting to enjoy just when they killed him.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Just finished it. I liked the show overall. Mariah's fanning the flames seemed to only work at the political level and barely at that. Didn't like the romance between Claire and Cage. I was also hoping for a Jessica Jones cameo. I wasn't aware so many people disliked Jessica Jones.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Thought this series was good.

But bring on Iron Fist.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I think Jessica Jones is a great character. I just hate the Purple man and not in an 'entertained by the hate' way. I understand why the used the ALIAS storyline for the series, but I already suffered through the comics and I wasn't going to go through it again.

My dislike of the Punisher is that he is such a nihilistic character. It's probably why I like Cap and Spidey so much. They're positive and trying to make the world a better place, not trying to seek brutal vengeance.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 2, 2016

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

This show gets super boring once Luke Cage gets shot with those dumb special bullets. I get that he needed a weakness, but that just felt like a lame way to get around his power. Also the actress who plays Mariah is loving terrible. She acts like someone playing a bad actress on purpose.

First few episodes were great, but overall the season was kinda disappointing. The politics are too contrived and generic to be particularly interesting, and that's a large portion of the dialogue in the show. The crime drama aspect, specifically Luke's framing, and Misty's involvement in the investigation, are bland and depend entirely on everyone besides the main characters being horribly inept.

Overall Luke Cage is best when Luke Cage is doing cool Luke Cage poo poo, but he's not a very compelling character otherwise.

It feels weird to say this, but I feel like LC would be better suited with a feature length film than a 13 episode series.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
My friend and I both stopped watching at Episode 6, it felt like a lovely version of The Wire and Empire mushed together. The scenes with the cops were unbearable. This show had some of the worst actors delivering some of the worst dialogue I've ever had to sit through, I honestly don't get how anyone likes this at all.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
Yeah... there were parts of this that were just bad. Like cartoonishly bad. The final fight looked like it was coreographed by someone who had no idea what they were doing and just cribbed a Worldstar clip. I'm not quite sure if it was supposed to be tongue in cheek or not, which is probably a bad sign. The poster who brought up Power Rangers costuming was dead-on...

If you're going to make a comic book show you have to go all-in and respect your audience. I kind of thought the MCU understood that by now.

It's like they tried so hard to make it a black show that they forgot to make it a good show.

Paddyo fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 2, 2016

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I just hope rhe sound track gets released

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Paddyo posted:

The poster who brought up Power Rangers costuming was dead-on...

If you're going to make a comic book show you have to go all-in and respect your audience. I kind of thought the MCU understood that by now.

These are contradictory statements. The only way Diamondback's costuming could be more comic book was if it was in brighter colors.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

howe_sam posted:

These are contradictory statements. The only way Diamondback's costuming could be more comic book was if it was in brighter colors.

I got that Diamondback's Logan's Run reject outfit was supposed to be a lovely Hammer Industries knockoff on an Iron Man suit, but it was so doofy and out of place compared to the visual design of the series.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Hammer Industries is actually producing tech that works with Justin behind bars I guess. Diamondback is a terrible goddamn shot though.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
Episode 4
This is an awesome easter egg

Compare:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Amstrad posted:

Episode 4
This is an awesome easter egg

Compare:

And yet not 5.minurss later he is wearing the shirt too

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Vhak lord of hate posted:

My friend and I both stopped watching at Episode 6, it felt like a lovely version of The Wire and Empire mushed together. The scenes with the cops were unbearable. This show had some of the worst actors delivering some of the worst dialogue I've ever had to sit through, I honestly don't get how anyone likes this at all.
That's funny, I really felt like it was channelling The Wire too... and that was before loving Kima walked on screen.

Still overall I thought it was okay, and the soundtrack was great. I'll give it a B-. Some of the cameos were a bit too blatant for my taste though, really took me out of it at times. And the ending was boring as poo poo.

Is it Iron Fist next?

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

bunnyofdoom posted:

And yet not 5.minurss later he is wearing the shirt too

Oh poo poo, I should have waited before geeking out then.

Post-episode edit: Not getting a full body shot of the classic look is a bummer. But great pandering all the same.

Amstrad fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 2, 2016

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
1x12 Method Man getting held up and meeting Luke was pretty awesome.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Overall, not as good as Daredevil Season 1 or Jessica Jones but solidly above Daredevil Season 2 which admittedly isn't a high bar to clear. I'd give it a B+ easy. The music was just sublime and I really enjoyed Misty and Cottonmouth even though they had some corny bits. I like that Netflix Marvel has really chosen a theme for each show to really explore with Daredevil being about corruption, Jessica Jones about rape/rape culture, and Luke Cage about black struggles.

Each show kinda whiffs when they sway away from the chosen theme, though. Daredevil Season 2 ending being all about the incredibly boring Electra/weird cult poo poo, Jessica Jones kind of slightly swerving in bits near the end, and Luke Cage with Diamondback. I get that they had to have a villain who could present a challenge to Luke but after having a whole lot of characters who did a good job representing different voices/ethos in American black struggles like Pop/Luke as his stand-in, Cottonmouth, Misty, and Miriah, Diamondback didn't really fit in and just brought overloaded ham and pop culture references to a show where the ham level was already pretty high. That costume in the end was just, well, literally comical.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rocksicles posted:

1x12 Method Man getting held up and meeting Luke was pretty awesome.

The robber trying to have a conversation was better.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The whole scene was brilliant, and the next one.

Did we get a final count of The Wire Alums? had to be about 6 or 7 right?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

"Are you serious. Are you really trying to have a conversation right now?" Is probably the best line in the show.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Rocksicles posted:

The whole scene was brilliant, and the next one.

Did we get a final count of The Wire Alums? had to be about 6 or 7 right?

4 from what I can tell: Burrell, Kima, Levy, and Cheese.

All of them were pretty much complete wastes of a bunch of good actors on the show. Faison is the only one with any real amount of screen time.

When Rosario Dawson was on screen it was like a breath of fresh air because she is by far a better actor than most of the cast.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Oct 2, 2016

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I'm only 7 episodes in and I'm enjoying it a lot. But can we talk about the intro? Is it made by the same people responsible for Dare Devil's? It's excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Hollismason posted:

Luke Cage lives in a world of color. 95 percent of the casting are persons of color in fact the first two white people you see are immoral bad guys. In fact I think there are 3 white people who speak in the entire series.

The opening scroll shows Malcolm X BLvd not once but twice.

This show has a lot to say maybe you are not listening if you say that.

Like? What does it say? Does Luke's speech really sum up the show's themes accurately?