Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Hypnolobster posted:

Got a whole bunch of 10+ year old roughsawn (circular mill) cherry for free 2 weeks ago, so I made a kitchen helper thing for my niece.

GREAT SCOTT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

:argh:

Is this kind of thing even remotely common for you? I would have had to spend probably $100 on lumber to make that piece assuming I'm reading the scale right. Looks nice, incidentally.
I don't usually get this much at once, but I end up with random deals here and there. I do a lot of milling for work and at home and usually end up with lots of scraps or small slabs.

I forgot to post this,

which perfectly illustrates why I love the ridiculously overpriced but still-cheaper-than-a-domino Dowelmax. A couple minutes making a registration fence let me make a 3/4" reveal, and then stacking some other stock dowelmax parts gave me the 2" reveal I needed as well. All the dowel holes drilled in the other stock is perfectly centered and registered, so I didn't have to do any measuring for layout of the joinery except in one direction.

e: holy poo poo this thing has 58 2" dowels in it. :stare:

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 1, 2016

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax
Hi DIY&H this is my first post here ever I think. Anyway I have been accumulating materials and cheap tools for a while and like to make goofy stuff sometimes. I made this table that has springs for legs yesterday. It is surprisingly stable but jiggles like a bobblehead all the time which has made for some real laughs with the roommates. I got the elements for it from the inside of a couch I was given for free. Cheers

http://imgur.com/a/Lidyf

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

RadioPassive posted:

I can't get my dull jointer knives out. I tried prying it every which way, smashing it with a mallet and block of wood, penetrating lubricant, and an acetylene torch.

My life and day job got real busy and I never had a chance to come back to this. Finally solved it this morning:

I removed the cutter head and drove a screwdriver between the wedge and cutterhead with a mallet. Only then did the wedges finally pop out. I'm taking this opportunity to de-rust, clean, and lubricate everything while it's disassembled.

I can finally loving sharpen the knives. What a massive pain in the rear end this has been.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

The XKCD Larper posted:

Hi DIY&H this is my first post here ever I think. Anyway I have been accumulating materials and cheap tools for a while and like to make goofy stuff sometimes. I made this table that has springs for legs yesterday. It is surprisingly stable but jiggles like a bobblehead all the time which has made for some real laughs with the roommates. I got the elements for it from the inside of a couch I was given for free. Cheers

Suck it Fine Woodworking!

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Hypnolobster posted:

I forgot to post this,

which perfectly illustrates why I love the ridiculously overpriced but still-cheaper-than-a-domino Dowelmax.

e: holy poo poo this thing has 58 2" dowels in it. :stare:

What the hell were you trying to accomplish with this? One drawbore peg is enough, so I'm assuming this is in lieu of tenons?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

GEMorris posted:

What the hell were you trying to accomplish with this? One drawbore peg is enough, so I'm assuming this is in lieu of tenons?

Yeah. Dowel joinery is a thing, I'm not drawboring the everliving gently caress out of something.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I wish I had that jig instead of this bit of plywood with holes in it for marking.

Dowel joinery is awesome and I'm never using screws or nails again.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

learnincurve posted:

I wish I had that jig instead of this bit of plywood with holes in it for marking.

Dowel joinery is awesome and I'm never using screws or nails again.

They're really awesome, but definitely expensive as hell. The owner is also sort of an rear end in a top hat. I still love it though, and in the usual 1/2 - 1" stock it's about as strong as mortise and tenons (or stronger if you believe the Dowelmax people, which I don't) and very fast. They have the Dowelmax Jr. now, but it seems a lot less convenient.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I was looking at the prices and it's £250 over here, from my searching I'm not overly impressed at the choice we have vs what's available over in the americas either. Going to stick with doing it the old and slow way with dowel centers and a ruler. Still less of a pain than any other joint and just as solid if you have the right dowel pins and glue.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
What does the Dowelmax do that a self-centering dowel jig (like this one) can't do? Just a wider capacity?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

What does the Dowelmax do that a self-centering dowel jig (like this one) can't do? Just a wider capacity?

It's a little more accurate, but the big deal is it has really perfect reference faces, so you can set up different offsets and drill dowel holes that reference off eachother instead of pencil marks. You can also do miters, as well as using it out in the middle of a panel instead of just edges.
It's not self centering, but that means it's a lot more accurate as long as you're careful with how you use it.

It'll do weird stuff like this in a pinch

or normal but large stuff like this

and all the goofy nonsense that they have on the Dowelmax website.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

The XKCD Larper posted:

Did you power plane that with all those drywall screws in there?

:whitewater:

I kinda like it, it's definitely a step up from a wire spool.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Hot take: dowel joinery is really lovely and you should just make real tenons

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

GEMorris posted:

It's not Real Woodworking unless you built the tools yourself from ore you mined yourself, fired in a kiln you built yourself, forged on your homemade anvil with your homemade hammer, and applied to wood that you chopped down, stripped, sawed, and planed by hand.

In other words, there's a huge range of valid ways to do woodworking. Let people work at whatever level they like best. I might be more impressed by "real" mortise-and-tenon joinery, but that's just because I know it's more work, not because it creates an objectively better product. Pocket-hole screws are similar; are they worse in some way than normal joinery? Sure, but they're still more than good enough for most applications, and the average persoen won't even notice either way.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Dowels are super non structural as only about 20-30% of the glue surface is actually effective and the rest is end-grain-to-edge-grain which is super weak. So yeah. Dowels are lovely. Real mortise and tenon joinery is objectively better as any study about joint strength will show.

Keep trying tho.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

GEMorris posted:

Dowels are arguably very slightly stronger or very slightly weaker in 3/4" stock than mortise and tenon joinery. They're also fast an accurate and I don't have to drink a cup of tea and masturbate furiously to the holy grail of "I'm better than you" handtool altar before building a project. I like tenons, I do projects with them on a regular basis and I've spent ~150ish hours for the last 2 winters timberframing at work. They're not the ultimate joinery, it's just another method.

Also I bought a bandsaw last.

e: nevermind. If you want to have feelings on joinery that's fine.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 2, 2016

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Tenons aren't the end all bee all joint, they're just better than terrible dowel joinery

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
Kreg screws 4 life.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I would argue that for small end tables then mortice and tenon is a bit overkill, but if you are making a double wardrobe then dowels might not be the best plan. Both are still better than using screws because using screws is cheating.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
All my joints are just wrapped in electrical tape.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Slugworth posted:

All my joints are just wrapped in electrical tape.

Try zig zags.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Just hock a big phlegmy blob of sinus pudding into your butt joint and you're good to go

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
The bookshelf is done! Took your guys' advice about the sliding dovetails and tenons. Apologizes for the lovely camera and lovely lighting.

The bottom shelf is 3/4" off the ground and I'm already regretting not putting an apron in front to prevent dust accumulation underneath, but I had designed this whole thing with this century-old hardwood flooring underneath it that I knew wouldn't let the shelf lay flush on the ground. Any suggestions? I'm renting, so no I can't refinish the floor.

A tea box I made earlier in the summer is the main decoration, but within the week this thing is going to be stuffed with books and succulents.

With all this walnut this was definitely my most expensive project, but once I put the teak oil on I didn't regret it. Look at all those swirls @v@

My first carving project, a tea flower for housing my massive tea collection. Using a single knife made the results... a little rough around the edges. There's always next time.

The sliding dovetails (3/4", 7º) make this thing really sturdy for how sparse it is but I hid them because I was worried about how clean they'd look.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Apologies for being a joinery snob.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Anyone have a set of plans for a small box that they'd recommend for a beginner that might result in a box worth giving as a gift? I get that this is fairly google-able, but I figured someone here might have a good suggestion.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Nice work.

GEMorris posted:

Apologies for being a joinery snob.

Should have used extra fancy dowels :laugh:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Slugworth posted:

Anyone have a set of plans for a small box that they'd recommend for a beginner that might result in a box worth giving as a gift? I get that this is fairly google-able, but I figured someone here might have a good suggestion.

Actually the Wood Whisperer has several excellent videos ...
here are 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vfYSjiECRk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LREBFMFyu4w

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

wormil posted:

Nice work.

Should have used extra fancy dowels :laugh:

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

The XKCD Larper posted:

As Paul Sellers says, "It's not what you make, it's how you make it."

I would have put casters on the springs so I can chase my beer across the living room.

Project Bench Stool continues. It took 2 weeks in my spare time to cut and plane all the bits, but finally the mortises are chopped and the tenons are cut. Naturally they are loose and riddled with gaps, but I think it will hold together.

Learned a lot of basic techniques, though I'm an idiot child compared to the cool stuff you guys can do. Pretty confident the next one will be better!

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
My name was changed by FactsAreUseless in the GBS thread. Probably some meta critique of my posting...

The Black & Decker Workmate seems to fit my available space quite well. Thank you for the recommendation, learnincurve. I'd say our workspace is about the same.

Here is my godawful first dovetail joint. Some times it seemed like the chisel may have been crushing the wood instead of cutting. Maybe with this wood (especially) I need to pare away the waste before moving down to the desired final depth. I goofed in some areas and did not press the chisel in a manner where the grain was being compacted. My saw lines were not really straight. Any other hot tips to help me along?

My meh quality chisels are not flat on the bottom and neither is the face on one of them. Might be able to square them up with a lot of sanding. My smallest chisel (the OK quality one) seems flat on the bottom and front face, but it is so narrow that I had difficulty keeping the front face flat to the stone. It frequently skipped across the stone. Do you all recommend using one of those clamping aids?

(I'm concerned that the clamping force will screw up the side edge, and maybe I should just 'get good'. My fingertips were not too happy after sharpening. )

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Sometimes it really is the tools. What you want is a backsaw or a dovetail saw, Stanley ones are £5-10 on Amazon, but I've always used a coping saw. Some stuff to add to your basket.

Coping saw: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0001K9Q6S
Sharpening set for chisels and planes: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000Y8OM48
Gorilla glue: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008ESKPKA

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

TheDon01 posted:

Did you power plane that with all those drywall screws in there?

:whitewater:

I kinda like it, it's definitely a step up from a wire spool.

Hehe, yup, I used the drill to make sure that the screws were good and deep in the wood before planing, the only thing that hit the screw tops was a belt sander. In extreme cases I just removed the screw, sanded the region, then put it back in there

Much respect for all the woodworkers out there, I just am a dude without great tools who likes to make stuff every now and then.

Love the suggestion to put it on casters... i kinda want it to not run away tho, thats a bit much.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I have a set of sharpening stones (140, 400, 1000, 5000, 12000, iirc), just not that honing guide.

Top saw is the one I used. Just got the bottom saw today, maybe that will be better for smaller cuts?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Unless those are very flexible it's just a case of practice really, or you could be a wuss like me and use a jigsaw.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I don't know anything about woodworking, but I have always been intrigued by it. I would really like to make some nesting boxes for birds as well as things like bee boxes, bat boxes, and other wildlife-oriented projects. I would also like to eventually be able to build a chicken coop, though that seems well beyond my reach. Bird houses I think are "baby's first DIY" for a lot of kids, so I'm hoping I could manage that despite my complete lack of experience.

What are the very basic tools that someone would need for projects like this? I don't want to spend much money until I've tried a couple projects and see if this is something I'll actually enjoy or if it's something I'll just enjoy the idea of enjoying, if that makes sense.

Also a browse of a few pages of this thread is amazing. You are some talented goons. I really love the tea box especially as someone with a big collection of my own.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Enfys posted:

I don't know anything about woodworking, but I have always been intrigued by it. I would really like to make some nesting boxes for birds as well as things like bee boxes, bat boxes, and other wildlife-oriented projects. I would also like to eventually be able to build a chicken coop, though that seems well beyond my reach. Bird houses I think are "baby's first DIY" for a lot of kids, so I'm hoping I could manage that despite my complete lack of experience.

What are the very basic tools that someone would need for projects like this? I don't want to spend much money until I've tried a couple projects and see if this is something I'll actually enjoy or if it's something I'll just enjoy the idea of enjoying, if that makes sense.

Also a browse of a few pages of this thread is amazing. You are some talented goons. I really love the tea box especially as someone with a big collection of my own.

Heck, for the most simple joinery get yourself a fine-toothed saw (this one rips and crosscuts nicely), a combination square and a power drill.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Others would have to help you with the hard stuff but for materials stainless steel screws/hinges and wood are the basics, please please read this: http://www.mdvaden.com/bird_page.shtml no wood glue, and don't stain or varnish either. Birds are fragile little shits, and for animals that evolved to live in trees a surprising amount of woods will kill them.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

For simple bird houses?

Materials: You should probably buy some thin-ish planks of solid wood, probably not thicker than 1", but also thick enough that you can screw/nail into the side of them. Plywood and other engineered wood will bend and disintegrate in weird ways when it gets wet for too long.
Decide on whether you want to screw or nail them together, screws are probably easier, but nails require less tools. Whichever you choose, they should be at least twice the length as the thickness of your material.

Make sure you have a work surface. A regular table may do, but keep in mind it can take damage from your tools, consider getting a sacrificial plate to lay on top, that can just be cheap particle board with a laminate surface.

Get a regular hand saw for crosscutting.
You will need a drill, any cheap one should be fine for casual work. If you want to use it with screwdriver bits, it's best to use one with a torque limiting head, most often found on non-impact cordless drills.
Hole saws or spade bits for the entry holes to the birdhouse. Remember the holes need to be correctly sized for the birds you intend the house for.
If you're using screws, you should also get drills to pre-drill holes, to prevent the wood from cracking. The drill needs to be about the diameter of the core of the screw you're using.
Screwdriver, screwdriver bits set, or hammer, as appropriate.
Clamps to hold things fast while sawing and drilling.

And also what the others said.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Oct 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Enfys posted:

I don't know anything about woodworking,...

Do stuff, make mistakes, just try not to get hurt.

Joint work is awesome. Metal brackets don't really add the sturdiness that good joinery provides. Birdhouses and such can get by with simple flat wood + screw/nail, but for your chickencoop or other things that need to bear a load or stand up to strong winds you will need more advanced structural knowledge.