Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

wet your whistlers mother posted:

Goro: Naoto, literally Naoto. He has light, dark, and almighty based spells. He has a loving pistol and a dumb glowing sword. His damage is very good, his sp is very high, and he can also use a stupidly powerful physical ability, HE'S JUST BETTER NAOTO.

No one in the cast is outright bad, but not all teammates were created equal.

Big spoiler
Don't rely on Goro.

Favorite character confirmed. I miss Naoto :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
SMT4A talk:

What kind of skills should I be grabbing for a DEX/Mag build?

I am currently running Crit eye/concentrate/ tetrakarn/matrakarn/Grand Tack/Sexy Dance/Ziodyne

Is it too mixed or should i start focusing one way or the other?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
You should really just focus on one attack stat. Also I would try to work in Magaon (smirk remover) and either of the de- skills (as in dealing with the excessive buffs or debuffs). My final build for strength was Akashi Arts, berserker god (more of a left over then anything) Charge, Hades blast, Dekunda, Dekaja, Magaon, and Awakened Power.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also DC Douglas was confirmed to be in P5 as one of the voices and I can tell you he's probably voicing Igor, the fifth target, or the seventh target and doing double duty as a coop or two, probably Munehisa.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Also DC Douglas was confirmed to be in P5 as one of the voices and I can tell you he's probably voicing Igor, the fifth target, or the seventh target and doing double duty as a coop or two, probably Munehisa.

Douglas is great so I'm down for this

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Man I'm really gonna need to study more about VO stuff like this, I can never keep track of names.

(Also all the impressions you've been giving us have been really informative, thanks!)

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Just as a frame of reference, DC Douglas voiced Albert Wesker in RE5 and more recently is the voice of one very important character in Zero Time Dilemma.

His character was not great, but he was good.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

That being said most of the P5 thread when the game comes out is gonna lose their poo poo over Futaba probably, so if you got sick of hearing about Chie enjoy hearing 300 goons not shut the gently caress up about her.

ill never get sick of hearing about chie-chan

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DC Douglas as Igor would kind of own.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
kind of?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Alternatively the surprise casting choice is he's actually Joker and I name P5 game of the year of both 2016 and 2017

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Final boss spoilers

The description of the Bullet you use to kill Yaoldaboth is, "A bullet forged through the bonds you fostered amongst the war that raged against the seven deadly sins and the treasonous god."

This game is so loving good

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am seriously dying for February to get here so I have an excuse to replay the stupid thing.

I'm glad I imported it though because I went looking for information on a completely unrelated subject and one of the search results was a massive-rear end spoiler.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Between this thread and the wiki I've already spoiled myself really badly on most of the really big stuff, but I did that for P4 too and still loved it so whatever.

Just 135 days to go...

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Finally, finished the game, what a ride. Now to wait four months to play it again in the language I don't have a base understanding of.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Just as a frame of reference, DC Douglas voiced Albert Wesker in RE5 and more recently is the voice of one very important character in Zero Time Dilemma.

His character was not great, but he was good.

He also voiced Odin in SMT4A.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Finished the game as well. Pretty good but the last few dungeons were super long.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Final boss spoilers

The description of the Bullet you use to kill Yaoldaboth is, "A bullet forged through the bonds you fostered amongst the war that raged against the seven deadly sins and the treasonous god."

This game is so loving good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiSjkl9rPBY

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

He also voiced Odin in SMT4A.
I was wondering why Odin sounded so suave..

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

He uses masculine pronouns and is referred to as male by the cast

I mean do they acknowledge that they named a character after King Arthur's psycho half-sister in their game which they have already filled with literary references?

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Hunt11 posted:

You should really just focus on one attack stat. Also I would try to work in Magaon (smirk remover) and either of the de- skills (as in dealing with the excessive buffs or debuffs). My final build for strength was Akashi Arts, berserker god (more of a left over then anything) Charge, Hades blast, Dekunda, Dekaja, Magaon, and Awakened Power.

Do enemy demons get the smirk remover spell also and how common is it? That would shake things up a little bit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DalaranJ posted:

I mean do they acknowledge that they named a character after King Arthur's psycho half-sister in their game which they have already filled with literary references?
i mean, what persona characters have actually referenced the origins of their persona in dialogue. it's, like, chie. and nobody else.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Endorph posted:

i mean, what persona characters have actually referenced the origins of their persona in dialogue. it's, like, chie. and nobody else.

Nate from Persona 1? Sort of?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
it's kinda weird they don't call him Morgan but i guess morgan isn't used for boys much anymore anyway...

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

It's okay they can change his name to Mordred, or even MOREDREAD if they feel like making it real cool

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Him having a feminine name isn't a mistake, characters reference that he has a kind of feminine name and that they aren't sure about his gender.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Alright, so I wrote up a pastebin with a ton of poo poo and a LOT of words, I am not kidding in how many words I wrote on this poo poo, it's loving nuts. I can't believe I wrote this many words, but it was surprisingly easy. This is non-spoiler stuff so if you want to see some dude's insane ramblings on P5 but not dip into the actual story and character stuff then go ahead and read that because it's mostly talking about the game's mechanics and setting and also making snide comments at the start about some arguments on this thread in the past. I also wrote up a cast prediction for the dub, because I'm a stupid loving dork and like doing stuff like predicting who's gonna be what. If you want me to clear up any va stuff like with clips or anything just ask, but I can't go in depth on why I feel certain characters will be voicing whom.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Endorph posted:

Him having a feminine name isn't a mistake, characters reference that he has a kind of feminine name and that they aren't sure about his gender.

verifying cat gender requires getting more up close and personal with cats than i generally like to get, that's for sure

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Neko janai

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
How is skill inheritance on demons persona? Is it tantamount to cheating easy, like in SMT4A?

Also if your determined for that write up to be spoiler free you might want to remove Futaba's last name

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's a name she was advertised with ads and stuff, it's not really a spoiler. Her relationship to Sojiro though and how they both handle that is, but I don't talk about that in any capacity. Also skill inheritance is free as poo poo and you can pretty much throw whatever you want on Persona in fusion if either of the others had it as a skill.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm actually interested to see how close your dub voice actor preferences to the expectations will turn out, so thanks for writing it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also the actual spoiler with regards to Sojiro and Futaba is actually, she's adopted.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i want bridget hoffman to voice hacker chick in P5

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
She's basically retired

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
you'll be eating crow when she comes back for xenosaga 4!! and the full length Lain movie!!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
and a new digimon tamers movie, sure what the hell

Dr. Video Games 0156
Jan 1, 2005
romantic comedy wahhhh
That was a good writeup and I enjoyed reading it. I agree w/ almost everything you wrote but I want to give Atlus a tiny bit of credit for at least trying to make the bosses interesting. No spoilers of course but I think basically all of them are more interesting than they ever were in p4 (mechanically speaking) so I think it was a step in the right direction even if they didn't go far enough. I don't know what all you can do to make an interesting boss fight within the bounds of persona's one-more system so I don't envy them the task of trying to improve.

I'm hopeful that if they do a "golden" p5 or just for p6+/smt5+/etc down the line that they can use what they learned in p5 to keep making even better games, specifically in the boss fight arena but also wrt to some of the other things you mentioned as well.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I have to finish p3p before p5 comes out, I've been playing it since it came out and am still not done.

Also, I feel like starting p4 again, I need some tips, I played through it on normal and didn't plat it or follow a guide, I want some advice:

-Do I have to sell everything before the final boss? I forgot to do that last time so it might be worth loading up my last save if I still have it, and selling everything?
-should I play p4 on hard or normal in my NG+? I am not a super grognard and like to enjoy myself, but I do have a ton of stuff in my compendium and it might be easier the second time

Finally, for people who have played p5: Is this going to be a super shameful game to play in front of my wife, or is it about as bad as P4G all in all, which is still not great?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The first dungeon is gonna have a ton of skeevy poo poo so it will be worse in that sense, but that's about the worst it gets.