Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I was not using Iguana Tweaks--or rather Tinker Tweaks for this case of 1.10.2. I just found out that is a thing. So flint is equivalent to stone as far as I can tell.

Is the normal progression with Iguana Tweaks alone to pray the pick levels up its mining level? That sounds very volatile. I have only ever seen Iguana Tweaks paired with Metallurgy, so IIRC there was a guarantee of minable copper and such.

The other thing is you can upgrade the heads without making a new pick and every level also adds a random upgrade + a slot for upgrade

meaning that by the time you upgrade to diamond/steel, its usually maxed out anyway as parts are upgradable, rather than having to make more picks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

TheresaJayne posted:

The other thing is you can upgrade the heads without making a new pick and every level also adds a random upgrade + a slot for upgrade

meaning that by the time you upgrade to diamond/steel, its usually maxed out anyway as parts are upgradable, rather than having to make more picks

Also for anyone who plays 1.7 packs with Ex Nihilo and Iguana Tweaks for replaceable tool parts: after you apply the "Smashing" mod to a tool that lets it act like a hammer (Tool + Diamond hammer) it sets the mining speed to zero - this is a bug. If you then replace a tool part (say, replace the wooden handle with a stone handle) the mining speed will go back to what it should be. You can then swap the handle right back to wood again if you want.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

TheresaJayne posted:

That's still assuming Iguana Tweaks or Tinker Tweaks, and then having access to metals to make casts. Just to go back to the beginning, I'm trying to figure out a 1.10.2 early progression that doesn't involve basically just playing vanilla minecraft with a few new metals. Preferably, it should be comfortably possible to stay on the surface most of that time. I personally do like to done at least one cave run, but I discovered from the BFSR YouTube kiddies that they didn't really bother with it.

As it stands in 1.10.2, there are a few problems:
1. No rather simple way to start getting wool. I thought I had Immersive Engineering, but I didn't see the whole hemp thing. I'll have to double-check that.
2. Infinite cobblestone now requires building a this resonator machine that needs RF. I need an ender pearl to make the machine. There isn't an alternate way to get under pearls than getting lucky and mugging an enderman. With 1.10.2 attack mechanics, that's a pretty rough fight now--especially if you're waiting for the smeltery to get good weapons. I consider having automatic cobblestone generation essential for using the Progressive Automation miner unless it no longer needs a cobblestone supply.
3. The whole thing that started this was not having a good path to make casts with the smeltery.
4. A big glut on power generation. I did bring this up and the alternatives have been mentioned, but we're used to more. It also looks like my yellorium generation rate is terrible and needs fixing.
5. Really hard to get some quick, portable storage. Previously, I had at least MFR plastic bags. Due to it being hard to get fabrics, a lot of the other bags are out of the way. With converting zombie flesh to leather, there are a few leather bags, but they look like they need some materials that a stone-level tool cannot mine.

It might be that the way to stick to the surface for the most part now is to just hammer on Botania. I admit I'm not really good with that mod, but I don't want to lean on that for everything anyways.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Are there any good/easy ways to control a reactor without using ComputerCraft?
Th0 CC version for 1.9/1.10 is horribly broken, maybe OpenComputers?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

CrazyTolradi posted:

For a passive reactor? Should be able to just use a few redstone ports. It's been a while but I think the setup was 3 ports set up with:

-redstone out if > 90%
-redstone out if <10%
-toggle power on redstone pulse

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

ImpactVector posted:

For a passive reactor? Should be able to just use a few redstone ports. It's been a while but I think the setup was 3 ports set up with:

-redstone out if > 90%
-redstone out if <10%
-toggle power on redstone pulse

My lazier passive route was two ports, redstone out if rf > 90%, redstone active set control rods to 99%

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

CrazyTolradi posted:

Is it broken because of https://github.com/sandalle/minecraft_bigreactor_control/issues/78 or https://github.com/sandalle/minecraft_bigreactor_control/issues/77 ? I need to do a new release with those fixes included, I've just been busy, sorry. :/

If there's a different issue, please open a new issue. :)

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

lolmer posted:

Is it broken because of https://github.com/sandalle/minecraft_bigreactor_control/issues/78 or https://github.com/sandalle/minecraft_bigreactor_control/issues/77 ? I need to do a new release with those fixes included, I've just been busy, sorry. :/

If there's a different issue, please open a new issue. :)
No it isn't your program, it's CC that's horribly broken. Monitors render like vomit.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Playing Agrarian Skies 2 and my Blood Altar seems to have stopped accepting blood.
Im only on the 3rd quest in that chain so I havent used it that much.
Tried creating a new altar and relogging but that didnt help.
Jumped ahead and created the item that tells you how much is in there and it says the orb has 5,000 lp and the altar has 0 lp.

e: I think maybe I am misunderstanding this blood poo poo.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 29, 2016

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

chrisf posted:

My lazier passive route was two ports, redstone out if rf > 90%, redstone active set control rods to 99%
Ah, good call. That sounds more like it. And less prone to breaking.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

OgNar posted:

Playing Agrarian Skies 2 and my Blood Altar seems to have stopped accepting blood.
Im only on the 3rd quest in that chain so I havent used it that much.
Tried creating a new altar and relogging but that didnt help.
Jumped ahead and created the item that tells you how much is in there and it says the orb has 5,000 lp and the altar has 0 lp.

e: I think maybe I am misunderstanding this blood poo poo.

Orbs contain Life Points that can be used by tools and rituals. Blood in the altar is liquid lp basically, which can only be used for making items via the altar IIRC. You can't get blood/LP out of the orb and back into the altar.

The only way to get blood in the altar is to hurt something. Either by giving your own hearts to the altar, sacrificing a mob on the altar, or using the ritual of torment or whatever to harm mobs around the altar. The ritual is usually what people use to generate large amounts of LP, by either autospawning mobs for it or abusing mobs that heal themselves (like Witches).

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

McFrugal posted:

Orbs contain Life Points that can be used by tools and rituals. Blood in the altar is liquid lp basically, which can only be used for making items via the altar IIRC. You can't get blood/LP out of the orb and back into the altar.

The only way to get blood in the altar is to hurt something. Either by giving your own hearts to the altar, sacrificing a mob on the altar, or using the ritual of torment or whatever to harm mobs around the altar. The ritual is usually what people use to generate large amounts of LP, by either autospawning mobs for it or abusing mobs that heal themselves (like Witches).

There is a ritual to take LP out of an orb and into an alter.
Cry of the Eternal Soul
https://ftbwiki.org/Ritual

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

SugarAddict posted:

There is a ritual to take LP out of an orb and into an alter.
Cry of the Eternal Soul
https://ftbwiki.org/Ritual

Oh huh, I think that's new. Kindof looks like a bad idea.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

So, whats a good mod pack for if someone wants to try learning Immersive Engineering?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Two questions on Progressive Automation:
1) Is there a way to get the Miner to not autofill the blocks it mines out?
2) What's a standalone pipes mod that works with it?

I'm still trying to put together a minimalist-style Skyblock modpack, but I'm not sure what I want to use for automation. The Thermal series is nice, and the Autonomous Activator would be perfect if it was possible to make it a stand-alone mod with a simpler recipe.

e: I mean, for a Skyblock the main automation tasks are generating cobble and cutting down trees, and maybe something to kill mobs in your mob farm. I don't think it's really necessary to have a multi-step process to make a block that could handle all those tasks.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 29, 2016

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Meanwhile, I'm sitting here wondering what good is redstone in B Team outside of going to space. There any other things or is it just "Furniture and space"?

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
I think dedicated machines for those tasks(autokilling mobs, cutting down trees, generating cobble) is much easier to find in a lightweight package than a single machine that could do all of them

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

That's still assuming Iguana Tweaks or Tinker Tweaks, and then having access to metals to make casts. Just to go back to the beginning, I'm trying to figure out a 1.10.2 early progression that doesn't involve basically just playing vanilla minecraft with a few new metals. Preferably, it should be comfortably possible to stay on the surface most of that time. I personally do like to done at least one cave run, but I discovered from the BFSR YouTube kiddies that they didn't really bother with it.

As it stands in 1.10.2, there are a few problems:
1. No rather simple way to start getting wool. I thought I had Immersive Engineering, but I didn't see the whole hemp thing. I'll have to double-check that.
2. Infinite cobblestone now requires building a this resonator machine that needs RF. I need an ender pearl to make the machine. There isn't an alternate way to get under pearls than getting lucky and mugging an enderman. With 1.10.2 attack mechanics, that's a pretty rough fight now--especially if you're waiting for the smeltery to get good weapons. I consider having automatic cobblestone generation essential for using the Progressive Automation miner unless it no longer needs a cobblestone supply.
3. The whole thing that started this was not having a good path to make casts with the smeltery.
4. A big glut on power generation. I did bring this up and the alternatives have been mentioned, but we're used to more. It also looks like my yellorium generation rate is terrible and needs fixing.
5. Really hard to get some quick, portable storage. Previously, I had at least MFR plastic bags. Due to it being hard to get fabrics, a lot of the other bags are out of the way. With converting zombie flesh to leather, there are a few leather bags, but they look like they need some materials that a stone-level tool cannot mine.

It might be that the way to stick to the surface for the most part now is to just hammer on Botania. I admit I'm not really good with that mod, but I don't want to lean on that for everything anyways.

I can help some
1. You have to be clever with vanilla options currently, there are no ranching mods, and a very small amount of farming mods. The lack of MFR is crippling, as everyone else's ideas for automatic farming are full of tedium, makework, and similar. Pam's does have it's cotton though, and a large enough cotton farm is a decent amount of wool.
2. EE doesn't use RF anymore, it uses it's own power system, which runs on an availability system rather than consuming power, the resonator needs about 8 available to complete a craft cycle. It's still a bit reliant on luck with the endermen though
3. So 1.10 TiCon doesn't use aluminum brass anymore. It's either 2x gold for a permenant cast or some clay for a temporary cast. The only new ores with TiCon now are the stuff like cobalt.
4. So for power gen, the current options are really EnderIO, Mekanism, and the BigReactors clone. EE has some great early game power gen, and a decent end game power gen, but doesn't have a good source of midgame power gen.
5. I don't think extra storage is as important as quickly as you seem to think, and there are plenty of storage systems ported to 1.10 already (although obviously not AE) that as long as you're diligent on keeping your inventory clean you'll be fine until you can get a better tool or a large cotton farm going.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

What's a good modpack these days for kinda adventurey stuff? Dungeons, villages, npcs, cool vehicles to make, maybe some fun rail stuff. Particularly one with good documentation - the trouble I seem to have with modpacks is I install one and I have no idea wtf to do and I don't know what I need to build stuff :downs:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Not sure of adventure-y things but here is a handy way of getting situated in a modpack.

1. Do your vanilla stuff, collecting ore, smelting ingots, getting to at least a couple diamonds.
2. Inspect various blocks in NEI in a mod that you want to learn about. Settle on something that sounds interesting.
3. Determine that you are lacking in the amount of ingredients needed to get that block. Curse bitterly.
4. Mine a mountain of ore. (Expert level, automate yourself to some mining machine to do that for you)
5. Build block. Block sits inert and prodding at it doesn't reveal its secrets.
6. Sigh, load up a wiki and read what little documentation there is on the subject.
6b. Search Youtube for some help, get maybe 5 seconds of useful information from the video after 20 minutes of them faffing about on barely related other things.
7. Build infrastructure to support block. You may have to go back to step 3 or 5 multiple times.
8. BLOCK WORKS SUCCESSFULLY. PRAISE BLOCK.
9. Wonder what you can do with block.
10. Build pretty place to house block and take an image to show off your work. VERY IMPORTANT STEP.
EXPERT LEVEL
11. Come up with a convoluted chain of steps that incorporates block in a way that mod author never expected, use it to break out of normal game loop and become post-scarcity on any material you could imagine.

I've only managed the 11th step once with EnderIO tanks and Thermal Expansion AAs to basically create any sort of liquid out of a tiny bit of it to start. Good times when dealing with pink slime or shiny/platinum liquid metal.
Then you've got these dudes who rig up capturing a high-end mob at 0 HP and spawn direct copies of it constantly for it's loot. I think it was a Wither so it could be powered by a 64x Wither Star Generator indefinitely. Been a few years since then.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

McFrugal posted:

I was under the impression that the orb was like a second tier knife. I guess that i just had enough Lp in the altar at first that I didnt notice that using the orb wasnt filling the altar but itself. After moving to agriculture for abit then back it dawned on me.

I really like Agrarian Skies 2 but it does have me jumping around quite alot between systems so that im missing a few points here and there.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Maiden posted:

2. EE doesn't use RF anymore, it uses it's own power system, which runs on an availability system rather than consuming power, the resonator needs about 8 available to complete a craft cycle. It's still a bit reliant on luck with the endermen though
Okay I need to know a little more of what the hell this is. Last night, I tried to power a resonator with all kinds of generators parked right next to it. Ultimately, I got one of ExtraUtil2's own generators and it still wouldn't do anything. How do you get the resonator to... resonate?

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
Extra utilities 2 uses grid power. You make the power gen and it just makes the power, it's all passive I think. No wires or anything you just make the power and it go to the grid and then everything get power from the grid. There's a Direwolf 20 video that covers it.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Oh grand... another power generation system in YOOL 2016.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

bigperm posted:

Extra utilities 2 uses grid power. You make the power gen and it just makes the power, it's all passive I think. No wires or anything you just make the power and it go to the grid and then everything get power from the grid. There's a Direwolf 20 video that covers it.

Basically correct. Instead of generating units of energy that are consumed over time, the system produces power units (that are tied to your player entity, not stored). If you have/place/use enough things that it consumes more power than is produced, everything shuts down until that imbalance is repaired.

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

It's honestly not bad, as most things in EE only need GP when you're making them, or parts for them, in the resonator. The only issue is the one already brought up, getting ender pearls sucks hard in 1.10

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Just treat it like youre playing C&C: Red Alert again.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I looked them up and tried to watch some crap about them. I'm still getting nowhere. I made 9 solar panels and laid them out. I apparently have something like 10.21/9 GP or something in the daytime. I even put the resonator next to it. When I put a light pressure plate in, it does nothing. It claims to need 8GP to turn that into the base I need for a mining upgrade. Nothing happens.

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

That's used/total, you need to make more and put them out

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Ok then I am clearly not getting it. The resonator claims to need 8 GP to craft. How am ai using 10?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Maiden posted:

Sorry, what mod are we talking about here? I feel like I'm starting to really lose my handle on all the Minecraft abbreviations.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Grid Power is used by Extra Eutilities, obviously.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Fortis posted:

Grid Power is used by Extra Eutilities, obviously.
xu is the abbreviation for extra utilities. EE is equivalent exchange.

Grid Power is okay but it scales like poo poo which is a big problem. It needs more condensed generation methods for the mid-late game. Also, certain things pretend to take up a spot but will function if you have no grid power. Like the cobblestone gen stuff. It takes up a slot, but it will work if you have no grid power anyway.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I can't tell if everyone is talking about Grid Power or not. Does EE also have a power system now or is it just Extra Utilities we're discussing?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Grid power is in ExtraUtils2.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
So uh I just found out it is actually a REALLY bad idea to hook up your Electric Blast Furnace to HV in Gregtech. Despite not specifying a voltage for its recipes, the EBF behaves like any other machine and "overlclocks" recipes that use a lower voltage than you give it, which makes the recipes take half as much time but use quadruple the eu/t (which means they consume twice as much EU). The vast majority of EBF recipes require 120 eu/t which is MV, so you wind up wasting tons and tons of EU trying to do anything other than the one or two HV recipes you want to bother with.

Normally you'd just make separate machines for each tier that you're actively using. The EBF is a big expensive multiblock so that's not a reasonable solution. The reasonable solution is to put in fourtwo MV Energy Hatches instead, so you can provide the 480 eu/t for the "HV" recipes without making all the other recipes consume so much EU.

Edit: What the gently caress is going on?! It's still gobbling up way too much energy this way.

Edit2: Seems the only way to have efficient operation is to have a single MV Hatch. If you put more than one on the EBF it considers itself to be an HV machine even if you don't give EU to all the hatches. I'm guessing the code involved is badly made and requires specific tiers for every machine like that, rather than the EBF determining its tier based on the voltage it receives.
ANYWAY, this seems to mean you can approach the problem two ways without wasting a ton of materials(mostly from the coil blocks tbh): 1) Leave a heat proof casing accessible by wiring, then replace it with an MV Hatch when you need to run an HV recipe, or 2) Replace your MV Hatch with an HV Hatch and have both voltages accessible at the same location (I don't advise this, it's best to keep differing voltages in separate, designated areas)
No, you can't have an MV and an HV hatch on the EBF. Mixing tiers for hatches results in the machine refusing to work.

Edit3: Derp I forgot hatches accept 2 amps so you only need ONE extra MV Hatch.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 1, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I figured out why I had GP consumption even when nothing was going on; I had cheated in some speed upgrades to the cobblegen since I got pissed. After that, I could start making stuff. Well, not really. I am not sure, but it looks like the resonator eats GP and then the thing it makes eats even more GP. So I had a pile of solar cells. It's really a dumb mechanic.

Speaking of dumb mechanics, did the chisel durability get heavily nerfed in 1.10.2? I am hoping it is just rear end in a top hat settings in the configs I started from. Otherwise, you only get to do a few stacks of stuff before the chisel breaks on you. I couldn't cover flooring across two chunks on one chisel.

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I figured out why I had GP consumption even when nothing was going on; I had cheated in some speed upgrades to the cobblegen since I got pissed. After that, I could start making stuff. Well, not really. I am not sure, but it looks like the resonator eats GP and then the thing it makes eats even more GP. So I had a pile of solar cells. It's really a dumb mechanic.

Speaking of dumb mechanics, did the chisel durability get heavily nerfed in 1.10.2? I am hoping it is just rear end in a top hat settings in the configs I started from. Otherwise, you only get to do a few stacks of stuff before the chisel breaks on you. I couldn't cover flooring across two chunks on one chisel.

Does it use durability at the same rate if you're using the chisel in the world or in the inventory?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

XU2 is really dumb right now, regardless. Horrible documentation both in and out of game, no way to know how to make upgrades and GP is a very bleh power system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

General Specific posted:

Does it use durability at the same rate if you're using the chisel in the world or in the inventory?

Is there something I'm missing with the Chisel mod? I don't know how to interact with it in the world.