Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Xae posted:

The Molotov is a good boat, one of the best cruisers for its tier.

But it is still a cruiser that is very easy to citadel in a game with a BB centric metagame.

Yup, and it was on full display in my first game out for ranked. However, I personally had the dunkerque out instead. It went quite well and should be able to limp me to unlocking t8s I'd hope. I also have a cleveland, but it didn't seem that useful in the match I saw either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

JuffoWup posted:

I still can't decide what I would bring to try this out. Dunkerque might be useful, but I'm not sure. Molotov can probably hold its own. Or the ryujo and I kind of suck in CVs with the current cv meta. I don't have any other t6s that I can think of right now.

Molotov was too squishy last season. At the tier 8 bracket, the only thing making the Kutuzov somewhat survivable is the smoke.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Well, that happened. Just had a ranked in which two other battleships on my tema and my Bayern each earned High Calibre. :stare: In my case by ramming my ~4k health ship into an enemy Bayern that was still at ~30k. :black101:

Also, the Bayern is monstrous in the lower-rank games. I'm racking up High Calibres in something like half my games, if not more.

Magni fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 1, 2016

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

i wonder what will work better in ranked, my lvl 17 captain atago, or a lvl 14 captain bismark...

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

Learning to play battleships in the South Carolina. Kill 2 enemy battleships and 2 cruisers. Not a single other ship destroyed by my team :negative:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

TheDemon posted:

Hard-carrying a ranked game is so much more fun than the equivalent "holy gently caress everyone is bad" in random battles. 7 opponents seems about the limit of actually possible.

Yeah this is my feeling as well. Playing well still might not mean you win, but it has a greater impact than normal.

I'm 2-2 now after that first game I posted. I've acquitted myself well I think averaging over 70k damage a game in a Bayern. Just had a game where me and a Fuso stuck it out against a Bayern, Aoba and Mutsuki and won.

Before that though had a game where two of our battleships hosed off to a corner of the map and didn't contribute gently caress all all match.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

So yeah. The Bayern is real loving good.

Edit: Just got high caliber.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 1, 2016

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
And that's rank 15 and I think I'll call it for the day. THe Bayern served well. But I don't have a Bisko yet, so the choice for T8 is between Atago or Tirpitz. Oh well, my german BB captain can use more training.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

xthetenth posted:

Did he get the NC killed by allowing the torps to get out?
Sadly no, the torpedoes were panic fired and badly aimed and the NC avoided them just by going in a straight line. Somehow I get the feeling the NC dodged those torpedoes by luck instead of knowing they would miss.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Well, my first Ranked match was a win, then it's just been a loss after a loss after a terrible loss.

I'm good enough to topscore in most every battle but not good enough to hard carry these loving windowlickers.

The worst was a battle where I did 120k damage and it still wasn't enough. :negative:

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I haven't won yet on the NA server and I haven't done less than 70k damage in the Farragut every game.

Despair is the only word I can use right now. :negative:

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

is it mid october yet?

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Barely made it to Rank 12 tonight, but this game mode is so draining.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
So how are cruisers supposed to be played in a game? I am new and teched up to the lvl 4 German cruiser and the matches the game is putting me in always has like 4-5 BBs 3 cruisers and 1-2 destroyers. Every match seems to revolve around DDs doing sneaky things and BBs dominating everything else.

The moment I become annoying enough to focus attention on, their big guns shred me to bits. I tried going for a close range attack with AP but I just ended up giving somebody a "close combat" badge..... What is the purpose of a cruiser when there are that many battleships running around other than just trying to kill enemy cruisers while cowering in fear of some BB deciding to make you eat your lunch

VVV Sorry if it came off as whiney I am just trying to figure out hte game VV

MikeC fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 2, 2016

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Why is the sea so large?

Tears of Karlsruhe captains.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Nah, we're not calling you whiny, the Karlsruhe is just a contender for weakest ship in the game. Keep at it--next tier you're going to get one of the strongest ones. You still won't have any armor but your guns will be INCREDIBLE.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Redeye Flight posted:

Nah, we're not calling you whiny, the Karlsruhe is just a contender for weakest ship in the game. Keep at it--next tier you're going to get one of the strongest ones. You still won't have any armor but your guns will be INCREDIBLE.

Thanks, its just so weird. I was doing really well in the German lvl 3 cruiser but lvl 3 games seem to have A LOT LESS BBs to hide from. And those BBs don't take out half your health with 1 volley.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

German cruisers are somewhat not very newbie friendly as a whole, even if the Konigsberg is amazing.

Kilravock
Jan 27, 2006

We are the hollow men
Cruisers can do a good job of bulling around DD's if they are supporting their DD's or hang back out of sight near the BB's. The last thing I want to see as a DD is to be greeted by something like the Atlanta backing up a DD at a cap or next to a BB. A tag team of a IJN DD and a CA with radar shuts me down if not kills me every time.

At low tiers, use lots of WASD, watch were the incoming fire is going, hug those the islands and only fire when the enemy is already firing on someone else, unless you are already spotted, which you are in that ship. Let the BB's and DD's get the attention first. If they are firing at you then try to trick them by making it hard to predict your movements by using WASD and get an island between you. Watch your map and be aware of who can see you and at what angle.

This is easier if you only have one or two ships that can see/fire on you. CA's can handle skirmishes well, but stay way from the BB sniper-fest. Also don't forget your torps since a CA is just like a fat DD when you island hug.

For the Karlsruhe I had some luck just hugging islands or being in valleys and using torps on the edge of the battle. Basically ambushing ships trying to get to me or go after caps only DD or CA tend to go after.

The next ship, the Konigsberg is a lot better and you will love those rear turrets. Still it likes to blow up like a British BC.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
My average potential damage in the Bayern is almost 1,2 million. :shepface:

Nordick fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 2, 2016

Kilravock
Jan 27, 2006

We are the hollow men
People really want you dead man.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Is the Kirov the one with the Stalinium guns? I just had my first round in it and scored 9 citadels, including 5 on a poor Kuma that I sunk in 3 volleys.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
ok, don't use Dunkerque in ranked. poo poo gets penetrated by NM/Bayern all day.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Aesis posted:

ok, don't use Dunkerque in ranked. poo poo gets penetrated by NM/Bayern all day.

You have to play it carefully, but it has worked for me. The warsprite is also on your list of poo poo that that can punch your bow. I had a game where the enemy team focused on be and stayed bow to me. However, my team was flanking and started melting them. I still died, but I took out both the enemy cruisers before I went under.

Still though, hanging back a little to let your new mex and bayerns lead the charge works well. I would say the ship is a better choice over the fuso though.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
Went from 16 to 12 without a single loss....in a TASHKENT! Turns out when there's a lot of Bensons and Fubus, the Tashkent is super effective because of it's near 20k HP and awesome arcs at 13 km. Since you fight at range your smoke works well for the cruisers and BBs on the team.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Vernii posted:

Is the Kirov the one with the Stalinium guns? I just had my first round in it and scored 9 citadels, including 5 on a poor Kuma that I sunk in 3 volleys.

Russian guns from T5 to T9 on their CAs are pretty good. They've really good dispersion, high shell velocity, and their AP tends to make mincemeat of other cruisers. Their HE fire chance is respectable (esp with DE) so you always have a tool you can use to get some hurt in.

Avoid showing your sides at all costs though.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Vernii posted:

The molotov is the kirov hulled ship with the donskoi's guns.

However, when it comes to the word stalinium, the imperator nikolai is what comes to mind.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I'm sitting at a solid 20% win rate right now in ranked across 25 games. At least I now know not to even bother.

Edit: 12 hours of play, netted one star. Guess I'm done.

ranbo das fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 2, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

no bones about it posted:

Russian guns from T5 to T9 on their CAs are pretty good. They've really good dispersion, high shell velocity, and their AP tends to make mincemeat of other cruisers. Their HE fire chance is respectable (esp with DE) so you always have a tool you can use to get some hurt in.

Avoid showing your sides at all costs though.

The AP on the T5 to T9 russian cruisers borders on worthless, will only pen other cruisers if they're at short range and giving you a perfect broadside - just the slightest of angles will autobounce, even on tin cans like Furutaka and Pensacola - and will never pen battleships unlike the German, IJN and USN 8" guns of those tiers, which can do proper damage to the lightly armoured sections. You should basically be firing the HE from max range 99% of the time, or hunting down destroyers, which is what the tight shot groupings are good for.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 2, 2016

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Lol

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I scrolled past the quote to read the post without looking who it was, and reading the post I just knew anyway.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Is the St. Louis supposed to be some god tier cruiser at low levels? That thing seems to pack a big punch and have a shitton of hp

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yea the St. Lou is pretty brawny. Tough for a cruiser and has like a million guns sticking out of it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

MikeC posted:

Is the St. Louis supposed to be some god tier cruiser at low levels? That thing seems to pack a big punch and have a shitton of hp

At T3 the St. Louis is basically a better BB than the actual T3 BBs.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I'm glad I did this battle because I had run out of flags and didn't know what I was going to do about it

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I'm glad I did this battle because I had run out of flags and didn't know what I was going to do about it

Play Ranked, if you manage to go up a bunch of ranks it doles out signal flags like candy.

After my terrible initial loss streak I managed to get up to rank 15, which is as far as I'm gonna go because after that it gets tier 8 and I don't have any. But it's cool, I got a bunch of stuff out of it anyways.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
FUCKIN T6 RANKED
I DONT LIKE T6 AND I DONT WANT TO BUY THE MUTSUKI but oh well I guess I should because the Fubuki will be moved there BUT SERIOUSLY gently caress T6

BBs are cancer, german BBs are late stage cancer, its all becoming clear now

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

MikeC posted:

Thanks, its just so weird. I was doing really well in the German lvl 3 cruiser but lvl 3 games seem to have A LOT LESS BBs to hide from. And those BBs don't take out half your health with 1 volley.

As others have said, the Karl is hands down one of the worst ships in the game. Poor range, weak guns, flimsy hull. If you can stomach getting through this ship, you get (in my opinion) three strong ships in a row.

The tier 5 Konigsberg is considerably better. It has almost zero armor, but the guns have great range, flat arcs, and reload quickly. High damage AP shells let you murder cruisers that show broadside (at 10km or less), and your HE is still potent enough to mangle DDs and harass BBs with fire. The hardest part really is keeping an eye out for BBs firing salvos at you, so you can try to dodge or at least angle yourself. With 2/3rd of your firepower in your rear turrets, its a great ship for kiting opponents, whittling them down with HE and fire as they try to chase you.

If you dont like the Kberg, then id say try another line.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Also worth noting, the Konigsberg's rear turrets can turn 360 degrees now, a rare trait in ships. This gives you great versatility in your forward-facing options since it'll take you so much less time for your turrets to switch sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Too busy today to actually get started with ranked, but good to know there are already huge numbers of shitters clogging it up.

As T6 is currently a huge gaping hole in my list of ships, and as I'm starting at 16 and thus only need to go up one, I'll probably just try and power through that one rank with my Molotov instead of shelling out to rebuy a ship, or spending the time to finish grinding one of my T4/5 lines up to there.

T8 I'm fine with, and both Tashkent and Tirpitz are good to go. Amagi too, if I want to chance a slightly less optimal choice. Bit saddened by it not being dual tier, as I'd hoped to just Saipan my way through most of the season, but oh well.