Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

$8 an hour is below minimum wage in Los Angeles, though. Even years ago it was $9.

Having "worked" in the music industry (I was in Nashville) it's basically built on interns and slave labor of people willing to work for nothing to follow their dreams. My wife worked at a small record label around 2009, made $10 an hour (not completely awful in Nashville, cost of living is/was super low), and they cleared house to bring in replacements willing to work at $8 an hour.

I'm fortunate enough not to have crazy debt from my degree, but yeah, schools really won't do a good job to prepare anyone majoring in any type of music on what to expect after graduating. A sales pitch of "yeah, you'll make minimum wage if you're lucky, hope you like teaching lessons as your main income" isn't a great sales pitch. Especially because the skills you need to actually do well in music, with the exception of performance and music education, really can't be learned in school anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Having "worked" in the music industry (I was in Nashville) it's basically built on interns and slave labor of people willing to work for nothing to follow their dreams. My wife worked at a small record label around 2009, made $10 an hour (not completely awful in Nashville, cost of living is/was super low), and they cleared house to bring in replacements willing to work at $8 an hour.

I'm fortunate enough not to have crazy debt from my degree, but yeah, schools really won't do a good job to prepare anyone majoring in any type of music on what to expect after graduating. A sales pitch of "yeah, you'll make minimum wage if you're lucky, hope you like teaching lessons as your main income" isn't a great sales pitch. Especially because the skills you need to actually do well in music, with the exception of performance and music education, really can't be learned in school anyway.

I want to respond to this.

I feel I shouldn't.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Not saying that this is your position, but I just want to point out that chasing unrealistic dreams is not necessarily a problem. Many people have no issues with living a life of poverty if it allows them to <insert your item of fancy>. After all, monks do and real monks exist, don't they? The main issue would be if they act surprised that their "job" pays minimum wage or sub-minimum wage.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

John Smith posted:

Not saying that this is your position, but I just want to point out that chasing unrealistic dreams is not necessarily a problem. Many people have no issues with living a life of poverty if it allows them to <insert your item of fancy>. After all, monks do and real monks exist, don't they? The main issue would be if they act surprised that their "job" pays minimum wage or sub-minimum wage.

That's some bucket-crab nonsense.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
My company offers a poo poo 401k (no match, a management company I've never heard of, and fees I'm afraid to even look at). And even that they tried to take away from me when I was getting reclassified after a merger.

I think they were surprised anyone was even using it when they tried to pull the benefit. But I would have ended up paying $1200 more in taxes next year had I not stayed enrolled.

I'd say companies should use the tax savings angle more when pitching their 401k plans, but most of the people not saving probably get refunds already anyway. :(

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

Krispy Kareem posted:

I'd say companies should use the tax savings angle more when pitching their 401k plans, but most of the people not saving probably get refunds already anyway. :(

I know getting people to save something rather than nothing is better, but should they really push the tax savings? I though current concensus was that roth 401k was better than a standard 401k.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

That's some bucket-crab nonsense.

Why? There is a cost to pursuing our dreams. I worked hard to achieve mine. What is so surprising about the notion that you must pay your dues?

[Mind you, I am not saying you are not allowed to do it. I am saying that there is often a very hard road to travel]

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Ignore tiny brontosaurus, known D&D shitposter.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Surprisingly, as of a year or so ago the median balance for TSP holders, the federal equivalent of a 401k, was about 118k. Not gonna retire off that, but it's a good start.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

John Smith posted:

Why? There is a cost to pursuing our dreams. I worked hard to achieve mine. What is so surprising about the notion that you must pay your dues?

[Mind you, I am not saying you are not allowed to do it. I am saying that there is often a very hard road to travel]

I know! I'm getting closer to Diamond level every day - just gotta put in those dues, work on my downline, and gut through this crushing debt!

There's no inherent reason for skilled technical work like audio engineering and music production to pay pennies, and it's perfectly reasonable to call out the industry for paying lovely wages with next to no opportunity for advancement when the industry as a whole is swimming in money.

JohnGalt posted:

I know getting people to save something rather than nothing is better, but should they really push the tax savings? I though current concensus was that roth 401k was better than a standard 401k.

Not really, unless you're at the cap on traditional contributions. The tax benefits are a mathematical wash (assuming you don't have a crystal ball for future tax policy), and Roth 401(k)s don't have the structural benefits of Roth IRAs like early principal withdrawal in an emergency and the ability to dodge RMDs.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

John Smith posted:

Boy you are gullible. You have completely and uncritically swallowed the propaganda of the people picking your pockets. Watch out for wallet inspectors.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

No one reads this thread to find out goon opinions on the music industry.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/55d665/i_just_received_an_extra_5000_on_a_student_loan/

quote:

I got $5000 more in my student loan than I needed this semester, and my parents advised me to keep it in saving and use it to pay rent ($389 monthly).
I know that this is a waste of money because it is sitting in a savings account at <1% interest.
My question is should I put it in a market index to try to at least match the market interest rate, should I try to invest it by hand (I don't have much experience investing in individual stocks), or should I do something else?
Edit: I need it to pay rent, but I just want to know if there is a way to make it go farther than it will sitting in a savings account

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this here but I know a girl who got some scholarship or grant money her first year of college. The next few years, she got a check. She assumed it was her scholarship money. She kept it and let her parents pay her tuition, then got her student loan bill after she graduated.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

If he needed it for rent it wasn't really more than he needed, was it?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

quote:

Me and the child of my mother agreed on a child support number

So him and his sibling?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

John Smith posted:

The way you post makes me want to dunk your head in a toilet until the bubbles stop coming up.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The Mandingo posted:

Ignore tiny brontosaurus, known D&D shitposter.

Wow, gently caress off rear end in a top hat.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Not exploiting the poor for your personal enrichment when you have the opportunity is BWM.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Not exploiting the poor for your personal enrichment when you have the opportunity is BWM.

BWM? That's bad with life. That flies in the face of millenia of human instinct. You may as well run into a den of bears covered in steaks for how much you're going against human instinct.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Krispy Kareem posted:

My company offers a poo poo 401k (no match, a management company I've never heard of, and fees I'm afraid to even look at). And even that they tried to take away from me when I was getting reclassified after a merger.

I think they were surprised anyone was even using it when they tried to pull the benefit. But I would have ended up paying $1200 more in taxes next year had I not stayed enrolled.

Do you work at a major company? How big are the fees?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Vox Nihili posted:

Do you work at a major company? How big are the fees?

I'm an IT contractor, so all my 'benefits' come from the company that just handles my taxes and payroll.

The 401k is managed by Great Western. It might be great, it might be terrible. It doesn't matter because it's the only option I had. As soon as my contract is up, this account gets rolled into my old Fidelity IRA anyway.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

defectivemonkey posted:

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this here but I know a girl who got some scholarship or grant money her first year of college. The next few years, she got a check. She assumed it was her scholarship money. She kept it and let her parents pay her tuition, then got her student loan bill after she graduated.

I'm not American and unfamiliar with the interplay between the three sources of money you mentioned. Could you dumb it down a touch for me? (I'm not seeing how student loans come into it.)

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Weatherman posted:

I'm not American and unfamiliar with the interplay between the three sources of money you mentioned. Could you dumb it down a touch for me? (I'm not seeing how student loans come into it.)

Your student loans are sometimes not paid directly to the college, they are dispersed to you as check. This amount of money is supposed to be budgeted by you, including tuition and living expenses. This particular woman failed to pay her tuition, instead using this money like it was not a loan, and her parents ended up paying her tuition anyway. Unfortunately now she has debt for money she spent and did not realized was loaned.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

I'm American and I'm still not entirely sure what the hell happened in that story, most recent explanation included.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Tldr took out a loan and now owes money.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
Her parents "paid her tuition" by taking out student loans for her it seems.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Her parents "paid her tuition" by taking out student loans for her it seems.

No, she had gotten student loans but didn't know what she was doing or forgot about it. She got checks, but she assumed that they were scholarship/grant money and just spent them on whatever because her parents were already paying her tuition. She learned after she graduated that the mystery checks were student loans.

Of course, this story comes from the person who didn't bother to look at where a check was from before cashing it so the details are...confusing.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Boy you are gullible. You have completely and uncritically swallowed the propaganda of the people picking your pockets. Watch out for wallet inspectors.

You have a lazy mindset. But many people do not. If you want to break into a superstar industry like music and movies, then you are going to have to endure a lot of suffering. Simple as that. Unwilling to pay those dues? Then just work a normal job instead of chasing after these unrealistic dreams.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

"Has frugality ever cost you a friendship?"

quote:

ETA: This is two women, not a romantic relationship. This was not to be a date. Please read the entire post, or don't comment. I'm getting nasty comments from people who obviously haven't read the post all the way through.
I have a friend who loves to eat out. She can't really afford it, but she does it anyway several times a month. I hardly ever eat out, and when I do, it's because I have a coupon or there is some kind of discount involved.
I was given a coupon for a free meal + 50% off the second meal for a chain restaurant where I hardly ever go because it's pricey, but she loves it, so I offered her the freebie meal if she would pay for the beverages, which were not included. Honestly, I thought she'd be happy, but she got really pissed, called me a cheapskate and said she would be embarrassed to go there with coupons. I was shocked!
Anyway, she called me today and said that my "cheapness" is just too much and it's embarrassing to her, and she doesn't want to hang out with me anymore. It really hurt my feelings! I've had her over to my house for dinner more times than I could count, and she never seemed to mind my "cheapness" then. I would suffice to say that 99% of my frugality does not affect her at all. Evidently, though, it makes her feel guilty for being such a spendthrift, so I'm out.
Why did you want her to cover the drinks?

quote:

She drinks alcohol, I don't. She likes expensive "cocktails," while the most I would drink would be a glass of tea with free refills. We have gone out dutch before and her bill is always twice mine because of her alcohol purchases. I was just asking her to pay for her own alcohol and my one $2 glass of iced tea.
Why should she have paid for your tea? Why not split that and go dutch on the drinks? Or you could have even covered the 1/2 of a meal out of friendship.

quote:

Because she would INVARIABLY order the most expensive thing on the menu, that's why! I can't afford her tastes, which is why I figured I'd give her the free meal (up to $40) and let her pay more if she wanted, but I could keep mine down to $20 ($10 at half price). O.K., so maybe I should have paid for my tea, but is that any reason for her to dump a six year friendship? She's just wrong, that's all there is to it.

quote:

Not OP posted:

You weren't giving her a free meal. You were giving her a coupon for a free meal that would let you have a half-priced meal. It seems unlikely that this was the only thing that led her to end the friendship. If you value the friendship, you will need to see things from her perspective. She doesn't share the value of frugality with you. Maybe she thinks you are judging her lack of frugality. If you do patch things up, I would suggest avoiding situations where the question of who is paying is even going to come up.
People (well, most people) aren't trying to be mean to you on this thread. They are trying to show you how your actions appear to a neutral party. If you have a friend who isn't frugal, they are more likely to take offense at instances when you seem like you are calling them out for their spendthrift ways. If you find a friend that gets a kick out of stretching a dollar and maxing coupons, this kind of thing won't come up. But is it worth the friendship to you?
And asking her to pay for your tea was tacky. Sorry, it just is. Not a capital crime though.
Do you realize how NON-NEUTRAL you sound? I don't want to patch things up with her, and I don't want to read your posts anymore.
Coupons are more important than friendship

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I'm on cheapskate's side.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

quote:

A role-model FIRE uncle taught me something by his example. I had just bought my first house. It stood vacant for a couple of of weeks while I was finishing a consulting job out of town. He was in town and asked if he could stay there until I returned. He assured me he would be no trouble, and I agreed.
When I got there, it was late and he didn't expect me. He and his wife (who seemed old to me even though they weren't) were sleeping on the bare wooden floor, fully clothed and wearing coats and winter hats. I was like "what the hell are you doing on the floor in 50 degree cold in the house?"
He reminded me he didn't want to be any trouble. He later told me he's just trying to have a free place to stay, and people usually allow it if he doesn't cost them a single penny. By the way, he and his wife always dressed in rags he would find at garage sales. And they spent a lot of time at garage sales.
I saw myself in him. I saw a cheap bastard who has his beautiful wife sleeping on the floor in the cold to save money. At the time, I would have done the same, but seeing him do it, I realized I needed to change my behavior.
This story is already way too long so here was the lesson. Frugality can be taken way too far. And excessive frugality is driven by fear. Face the fear and you'll find your groove.
edit: on the first night of my honeymoon in Europe, we arrived to Zurich at 1 am. The train took us to the city and the train station immediately closed. It was 3 am. I had my newlywed wife and I sit on a park bench for 3 hours instead of pay for a hotel. It was 40 degrees Fahrenheit in summer. Luckily we had a sheet in our bag to keep warm and a pocket knife for self defense...

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
I can understand the fear thing.

My grandfather was the biggest cheapskate I've known, and he didn't care that other people knew. He had a joke that he loved to tell every time he saw you. If you talked about money he would pull out his wallet and open it, then acting all surprised and trying to kill the imaginary moths that came out. He would never tip for anything, ever. Ever. As a kid he once served me a moldy muffin for breakfast. I complained about the mold so he cut it off with a knife and handed it back to me.

He lived through the great depression in a poor family. He was taught that food was an extremely rare resource that you didn't waste. And by association, money was an extremely rare resource. So he spent the rest of this life stock piling it. He retired at the age of 50, hand built a house, small yacht, and workshop. Gave me mutual funds for graduating highschool and college. My dad inherited a few million when he passed (and my dad already told me he's spending it all before he dies). He led the life he wanted to live; didn't care about the shiny toys, newest gadget, or latest trend. He bought a lot of wood and metal work tools/power tools, created a lot of cool poo poo, and traveled a lot with a job in Saudi Arabia. He didn't drink, didn't go to fancy restaurants (home town buffet was a treat), matinee movies a couple times a year,

Everything he did had a calculated cost. He always treated money as if it could dry up or be taken any day. He still manged to learn how investing worked, trusted it, and put all his money away.

But even after he was well beyond financial independence, he still acted like he could lose it any day.

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Oct 2, 2016

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Someone who doesn't drink not wanting to split someone else's hefty bar tab is a pretty strange definition of BWM. Then again, I'd also rather spend 3 hours on a bench in Zurich in summer (a very safe city) instead of pay for a hotel room I'd only use for a few hours.

Dustoph posted:

Everything he did had a calculated cost. He always treated money as if it could dry up or be taken any day. He still manged to learn how investing worked, trusted it, and put all his money away.

But even after he was well beyond financial independence, he still acted like he could lose it any day.

That's the thing about life though - you can lose everything you have in ways you could never predict or prepare for. That's something you learn if you suffer a serious trauma or any other kind of extreme event (such as the Depression). It doesn't sound like your grandfather was a bad person either, and cheapskate is a pretty prejorative term. As you said, he lived the life he wanted, did cool things, and then passed his accumulated wealth to his son (who is apparently determined to spend it all because maintaining wealth is dumb I guess).

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

It's not about whether it's good or bad to use a coupon or not buy someone else's alcohol.

It's about a 6 year friendship being thrown out because they can't navigate a restaurant bill. Both of these people are awful and letting their feelings about money ruin relationships in their lives. That is bad with money.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Need your advice. (buying a home)

quote:

OK guys. I have really really bad credit ,defaulted student loans (never graduated) and not even so much as a bank account ( dumb I know)
my wife is in not in a much better position (been foreclosed on )we live in an area where average rent in a small town is $1000 plus a month for a 3 bedroom house built 40 years ago. yet you can buy a house for 50 to 75,000.
We have three young kids and I've spent the last year staying at home with the youngest. we are begrudgingly on food stamps and any other governmen Aid we can get ,which I don't care for, but dont see another option right now.
I'm currently looking for work but afraid of getting too many hours or a daytime job because average child care cost is 250 a week per kid and I'm honestly not educated enough to make the kind of money I need to to cover the gap of daycare plus the kids insurance, My insurance,and the little bit we get for food costs every month from Uncle Sam,even if I got a full time job. My wife makes around maybe 45000 on a good year. we don't have any extended family around to help really so I don't know if we could even fans someone willing to cosign or help at all.
So my question is,are we stuck dumping half our income and overpriced rent forever or are there steps that we can take outside of slowly paying off all our debts over a number of years to be able to get a loan for a house, feel like it won't be long before our only option is a 2 bedroom apartment in methville. Cause the funds are dryin up quick. And just really don't know what to do and any helps appreciate it thanks?

The last thread they posted was titled "Physicists say twin towers destroyed by controlled demolition"

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Switchback posted:

FIRE stuff

I used to check out the financial independence page when I first started learning about money then I realized a large number of the people there are awful libertarian leaning nimby shitheads generally view compassion as a liability.

e.

quote:

UK is a homogenous culture whereas US is not. put simply, in UK you get to be surrounded by white, English-speaking, mostly Christian people, who know basic etiquette and manners. In USA you have to deal with minorities along with their crime, music, language, and religion

I wouldn't mind seeing the post-capitalist proletariat revolution come a few years early if it meant knowing those fucks would eat crow (and guillotine).

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 2, 2016

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:

Guest2553 posted:

I used to check out the financial independence page when I first started learning about money then I realized a large number of the people there are awful libertarian leaning nimby shitheads generally view compassion as a liability.

Yeah I'm grateful to FIRE sites for what I learned about index funds but that stuff's kind of a difficult read when it's a bunch of 30-40-something guys who seem to assume anyone making under 50-60k wouldn't... I don't know, own computers? Be literate? Attempt to manage their finances?

prezbuluskey
Jul 23, 2007
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
BWM? Losing 1 billion in one year. GWM? Never paying taxes again.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/02/u...v=top-news&_r=0

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

prezbuluskey posted:

BWM? Losing 1 billion in one year. GWM? Never paying taxes again.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/02/u...v=top-news&_r=0

Nothing wrong with this, but the implication that he's so bad at finance that he hasn't been able to recoup that in 11 years and with his "billions" of dollars is something that should throw red flags up about his "knowing something about business."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Solice Kirsk posted:

Nothing wrong with this, but the implication that he's so bad at finance that he hasn't been able to recoup that in 11 years and with his "billions" of dollars is something that should throw red flags up about his "knowing something about business."

Yes, but that tax return proves that he either lied about making billions of dollars in income or he gamed his taxes to not pay income tax on at least $50 million in taxable income every year for the past 18 years.

He's probably not an actual billionaire or is a billionaire by virtue of non-liquid assets and the "value" of his brand, which is imaginary money.

• Locked thread