Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/55fm8n/probably_going_to_get_fired_after_lashing_out_at/ posted:

A couple hours ago, I was in the break room at work during lunch hour and finished up my shift, but thought I'd eat my food there before heading home.
I was having kind of a lovely week already so I wasn't in the mood for small talk or anything. Just wanted to eat my food and head out for an hour long commute back home (traffic on the 405 is killer).
I'm watching some wrestling clips on youtube off my laptop to kill the time while I eat and one of my coworkers comes in, hovers over me and says "you know that whole thing is fake right?"
I don't know what exactly made me snap but I looked up at the guy and pretty much yelled "No, I didn't know this poo poo was fake Gregg! You mean to tell me a guy who dresses up in a vest and jeans can actually get away with putting cement in his bosses car? You do know Tom Hardy wasn't strapped to a loving car in the goddamn desert for 2 hours right? What about that poo poo Gregg?!"
At that point, some people were peeking into the break room to see what was going on but by then, I grabbed my stuff and headed out and drove off in a huff. Sitting here hours later, I don't know why particularly his comment made me go off like that.
My phone's been ringing off the hook since I got home. I don't really care. Of the lovely things that happened this year, the only bright spot in my life has been wrestling. Probably got tired of hearing it get shitted on. Peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

He was probably strapped to a car for a lot more than two hours cumulatively, honestly.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

And everyone in the break room stood up and clapped.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Yeah, Tom Hardy seems like one of those actors who absolutely wouldn't mind doing that kind of thing even if it didn't call for it or a stunt guy offered to do it instead

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

WrasslorMonkey posted:

I actually believe this one because he seems to realize what he did was stupid and unnecessary, as opposed to that kind of self aggrandizing poo poo.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Between this dude and the pipebomb dude from a couple weeks back it's a really cool time to like wrestling imo

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

projecthalaxy posted:

Between this dude and the pipebomb dude from a couple weeks back it's a really cool time to like wrestling imo

Wrestling is in a really weird place in pop culture right now. The other day some vlogger my sister was watching made an offhanded reference to masturbating to Dean Ambrose and I was slightly taken aback.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

WrasslorMonkey posted:

And then Gregg grew up to be Albert Einstein.

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Wrestling is in a really weird place in pop culture right now. The other day some vlogger my sister was watching made an offhanded reference to masturbating to Dean Ambrose and I was slightly taken aback.

Ambijacksterity is a very impressive skill. I'd be taken aback too.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Chris James 2 posted:

Yeah, Tom Hardy seems like one of those actors who absolutely wouldn't mind doing that kind of thing even if it didn't call for it or a stunt guy offered to do it instead

Hardy had to be the one strapped in because his face is in the center of the shot. He said it was the hardest scene in the whole movie cause he had to keep his eyes open the whole time despite all the sand and grit kicked up by the vehicles in the desert.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sionistic posted:

Rollins doing the pedigree is his way of sticking it to HHH, its fine storywise

Right, hence why I said I'm OK up until Mania/when the feud blows off. If he's beaten Trips and he's STILL using it, then that's a problem.

remusclaw posted:

Rollins doesn't do it as good as H^3 does. Case in point, people kick out of it when Rollins does it.

Also this.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
He's not a bad wrestler. He's just worth 2/10.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

I love people who don't have the confidence to own up to their bad arguments. He is bad, but maybe I don't get him. He has good matches but he isn't a good wrestler.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I introduced my brother to NJPW a while back, and out of all the guys I was excited to show him, the only one he didn't like was Nakamura. He just thought he was weird and didn't seem to like the strike based move set he had. When I told him the landslide used to be his finisher when he did it to Ibushi, he said he thought that move was way better than the whole knee strike thing Naka had going now. He basically said he thought Nakamura didn't do anything too physical, he liked guys who do slams and complicated moves. Otherwise he liked Tanahashi, Ishii, Goto, Ibushi and such, wasn't a huge fan of the Young Bucks. But his favorite guys were Ricochet, Osprey, and Kushida. So he likes slams and Juniors, can't really blame him I guess.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I think there's an issue with guys who work a shoot style in pro wrestling where we're conditioned to expect them to look like Severn, Brock and Shamrock. Nakamura just doesn't have that imposing look to him that says "this man can disassemble me like a child two-handed throwing a lego set into a brick wall", people want their shoot guys to be big-rear end heavyweight boxer dudes. I'll admit when I was a kid I had this exact problem with Angle until I saw him wrestle a few times, I was like "oh, he's got muscles and stuff, but he looks kinda small and squat and he walks like an angry duck". Where as now I realize he's not actually very small, a lot of that is his stance, and at the time he debuted he could have easily won a fight with basically anyone employed by the WWE because real wrestling has nothing to do with how well you can lift another huge man up in the air and throw him all fancy like.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

Right, hence why I said I'm OK up until Mania/when the feud blows off. If he's beaten Trips and he's STILL using it, then that's a problem.

Also this.

It's not a problem, if he beats the guy with his move and keeps using it it's good. It's a move that is extremely over, it is good that he uses it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

This post reminded me of when I was watching religiously in the early 00s and Angle seemed like he was on the smaller end of the dudes on screen. Then they had an outside broadcast bit of him walking around New York and I realised that he was actually massive.

I met Kane and Trish Stratus at a signing event at a shopping centre near my work around that time and Kane is the single largest individual I have ever seen.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Memento posted:

This post reminded me of when I was watching religiously in the early 00s and Angle seemed like he was on the smaller end of the dudes on screen. Then they had an outside broadcast bit of him walking around New York and I realised that he was actually massive.

I met Kane and Trish Stratus at a signing event at a shopping centre near my work around that time and Kane is the single largest individual I have ever seen.

A lot of wrestlers can be deceptively huge like that. Edge, Randy Orton and Billy Gunn all got/get protrayed as 'normal' sized guys on TV, but are really ginormous compared to a real normal sized person.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Memento posted:

I have family in Tampa, where a lot of wrestlers hung out in the 90's and my cousin was once at a restaurant with the Undertaker and said that he only noticed because even while seated his head was several inches higher than every other sitting person in the room. I had a similar experience a few years back being on a plane with Stephen King, that guy is a lot taller than you'd think.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Memento posted:

I watched Sisters today and John Cena is absolutely massive compared to everyone else in the movie. Not that he's small for WWE, but he's probably around average.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
I know he wasn't actually 7'4 but when i was about 5, I met andre the giant at a WCCW show and I could meet someone who was a legit 8 feet tall, and my brain will never compute anyone being bigger than andre

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

flashy_mcflash posted:

I don't think it's hyperbole to say that if TNA doesn't run Bound For Glory it'll be like the housing crisis times 9/11.

It will if you're doing integer division

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Yeah I mean, even Rey is actually significantly taller than the average Mexican man.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I was shocked to find out that Tajiri, who is a "small guy", is actually around average height.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

extradite THIS! posted:

I was shocked to find out that Tajiri, who is a "small guy", is actually around average height.
He's average height for a white dude. For a japanese guy, he's actually pretty tall.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

The diminutive Eddie Guerrero was an inch shorter than the small guy Tajiri. It's a wonder he accomplished anything!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Endorph posted:

He's average height for a white dude. For a japanese guy, he's actually pretty tall.

To be fair, Taijiri spends most of his matches hunched over.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

WrasslorMonkey posted:

The diminutive Eddie Guerrero was an inch shorter than the small guy Tajiri. It's a wonder he accomplished anything!

Eddie had heart.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

exploding mummy posted:

Eddie had heart.

some would say too much

goml23
Jan 31, 2001

Fatass
Nmu:er

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I'm the boss at work and nobody goes home on Friday until they put me down for the 1 2 3.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Davros1 posted:

To be fair, Taijiri spends most of his matches hunched over.

That's the thing with Taj, Angle and even Regal, if you wrestle in a low stance like Tajiri or in a amateur/catch stance you're always going to look kinda short because it necessitates a wide stance with low shoulders.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
Beaten.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ColeM fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 5, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Haha yeah that was funny when it was posted five days ago!

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Proud to announce the re-posting of Chris Regal's stupid wrestling fan opinion to a multi-year contract to Rowdy Ringsports.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Uh you guys it clearly says it was posted 38 minutes ago, not 5 days ago.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

super macho dude posted:

Proud to announce the re-posting of Chris Regal's stupid wrestling fan opinion to a multi-year contract to Rowdy Ringsports.

Congrats. He will carry the brand well into the future.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

A good post av combo