Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

ddogflex posted:

This would probably be a good idea on going from emunand to A9LH too eh? Seems like it might be better to start the thing fresh?

Not really, if you have emuNAND you are already downgraded. It's the downgrading to 9.2 process that soft-bricks and requires a recovery update to latest.

m2pt5 posted:

Yeah, it took me about 3 hours, and most of that was backing up/restoring various things.

Reportedly, ctr-httpwn works to get around the "latest update" restriction on system transfers.

That's possible. I've still done absolutely nothing with httpwn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
What's the best DS flashcart that works on a 3DS with no homebrew access? I don't care about the DSTWO's extra features.
Most of them look like they have a lovely interface.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

r4i gold

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

They all have a lovely interface but we don't mind.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
So how do I get Wii U homebrew to work?
I have it set up so I can get loadiine running, but when that loads I get two things.
A) a blank menu with nothing on it (despite having games in the list that are titled properly and everything)
B) a music track that crackles and pops constantly

So... What am I doing wrong? I was able to get 3DS a9lh working flawlessly (except for losing my custom theme) so i'm confused if i'm doing anything wrong.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

RMZXAnarchy posted:

So how do I get Wii U homebrew to work?
I have it set up so I can get loadiine running, but when that loads I get two things.
A) a blank menu with nothing on it (despite having games in the list that are titled properly and everything)
B) a music track that crackles and pops constantly

So... What am I doing wrong? I was able to get 3DS a9lh working flawlessly (except for losing my custom theme) so i'm confused if i'm doing anything wrong.

I wasn't even aware there was any wiiu homebrew at all

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

System transfer from an unhacked system to a hacked system works, giving the hacked system all the content of the unhacked system and also keeping all its content and hacks. If you are looking to hack a 3DS and you're upgrading systems you're in a great position.

m2pt5 posted:

Reportedly, ctr-httpwn works to get around the "latest update" restriction on system transfers.

This works; I system transferred from a hacked 2DS to my friend's 3DS and kept theirs on 11.0 using this method.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Finally a real reason to homebrew your 3DS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjXe1vdyUz0

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

baram. posted:

r4i gold

Which one? There's a thousand of clones.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Olivil posted:

Which one? There's a thousand of clones.

http://www.nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=149

I ordered mine from here since they sponsor GBAtemp and I haven't heard anything bad about them.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
How big are DS games, in general? Smaller than 3DS by a fair margin?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

AnonSpore posted:

How big are DS games, in general? Smaller than 3DS by a fair margin?

Biggest is 512 megabytes, average is 256 megabytes.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

that ivy guy posted:

I wasn't even aware there was any wiiu homebrew at all

At this point it's mostly for custom VC games, nothing too big unfortunately.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Well that and piracy.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Please don't pirate Wii U games.:smith:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Looks like a lot of work was done on the WiiU end of things recently. I love HD Loaders and it has nothing to do with being a pirate; I have about 15 WiiU games and I'm so lazy I hate swapping discs.

edit: from what I can see, the WiiU hack is still kind of annoying as you need to run a web browser exploit every time you reboot the WiiU.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 22, 2016

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Looks like a lot of work was done on the WiiU end of things recently. I love HD Loaders and it has nothing to do with being a pirate; I have about 15 WiiU games and I'm so lazy I hate swapping discs.

edit: from what I can see, the WiiU hack is still kind of annoying as you need to run a web browser exploit every time you reboot the WiiU.

I thought load times on WiiU hax were INSANE SLOW. Like 30 minutes to load a game or some nonsense? I'm pretty sure that would be much worse than getting up to swap a disk.

e: unrelated: A9LH was stupid easy. Just takes 3 and a half years to get through due to the whole transferring an entire 32GB SD card back and forth 2-3 times. I actually still have to do the final cleanup because the process took way longer than I expected last night and I had to go to bed.

ddogflex fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 22, 2016

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
They're fast if you set the sd card to 64kb clusters or something and if the game has loading modded. Only encountered bayonetta 2 with that fix, though.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
Man I've done a whole bunch of reading since I last posted. I didn't realise Oot hax was still a thing, I've got a spare copy of it so I'd just need a powersave.

But from reading the fine print (as in many many forum posts and documents) there's no way to downgrade to 9.2 from 11 or above yet, right? Well at least not without doing a hardmod AND having a 2nd already hacked 3ds?

I've currently got a 3dsxl on 11.0.0 33 wiht my ambassador cert and all my stuff on that i dont want to lose. Plus an o3ds with broken cameras on 11.1.0 that I wouldn't mind trying to hard mod, but I don't think a hardmod alone is enough to get hax working?

I was hoping I could somehow get hax working on the o3ds, then transfer my xl over to the o3ds. Then wait a week and using dsi ware hax to transfer back to the xl so that I end up with both of them running hax.

There's no aternative I've missed is there? Really wishing I hadn't sold off my low firmware model as soon, could have used it to infect the others.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
No alternatives right now, no. 11.x was the update that pretty solidly killed off downgrading, by imposing a hard version requirement for all system software that's installed (and surprise surprise, the minimum version is always gonna be > 11.x).
The whole reason you want to dowgrade to 9.2 is because it's the last version with a known ARM9 exploit, ARM9 being the processor handling all the cryptography. If you can bypass the cryptography, ou can do whatever you want. If you can't, you can only install stuff officially signed by Nintendo - all other exploits are bound to that. System titles are all signed by Nintendo, so you could work around it by just installing the old official system titles for 9.2 as soon as you have hax permissions for installing, until 11.x came along and implemented the thing mentioned above.

There's a new ARM9 exploit in the works, which means you don't need to downgrade anymore and can bypass the cryptography on 11.x directly, but it's probably not going to be released in the near future. The developer will likely wait for the end of the 3DS' support life to release it, so it can't get fixed.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Actually from rereading plailects guide yet again, it seems if you have a hardmod you can force the NAND back down to 10.4.0?

Though you're correct in what you say, it's probably just worth waiting another year till the 3ds is at the end of its life and nintendo stops bothering with updates.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

I downgraded my new 3ds (11) using an a9lh old one. Since I only had to system transfer in one direction it was even quicker. You don't need a hard mod if you have a DSiWare that can be exploited, most of which are still for sale.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

that ivy guy posted:

I downgraded my new 3ds (11) using an a9lh old one. Since I only had to system transfer in one direction it was even quicker. You don't need a hard mod if you have a DSiWare that can be exploited, most of which are still for sale.

You do however need a 3ds that's already using CFW to setup the DSiWare exploit.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Just wanted to say thanks for everyone's help earlier, decided to just pick up a new 3dsxl from Tesco and hope for low firmware.

Sure enough picked it up this morning and it's at 9.8 :) so hopefully tonight I'll install a9lh then look at using it to get a9lh onto my nephews n3ds then finally copy my own account over to it. Fingers crossed :)

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I installed the softmod that was all the rage months ago, though I forgot exactly what it involves. Currently my 3ds is on 10.6 or 7 or something like that and I want to upddate it so I can buy some new games. Is it safe to update, and if not whats the best way to do so to make sure nothing is broken?

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I installed the softmod that was all the rage months ago, though I forgot exactly what it involves. Currently my 3ds is on 10.6 or 7 or something like that and I want to upddate it so I can buy some new games. Is it safe to update, and if not whats the best way to do so to make sure nothing is broken?

If you have a9lh you should be safe to update without any issues.

If you do not have a9lh, you should follow the instructions until you have it.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Luisfe posted:

If you have a9lh you should be safe to update without any issues.

If you do not have a9lh, you should follow the instructions until you have it.

Is a9lh the one that had the long complicated tutorial on github (I think)? It sounds familiar.

Yeah, that's it. Thank you!

BTW, does anybody know how to get foreign carts to show up in the main screen without having to load it via the homebrew app?

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 27, 2016

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Is a9lh the one that had the long complicated tutorial on github (I think)? It sounds familiar.

Not as long and complicated anymore. The overall process has made great strides over the months in making it more accessible to do.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Not as long and complicated anymore. The overall process has made great strides over the months in making it more accessible to do.

Yep and pretty soon you won't even have to downgrade to 2.1.0 anymore to get OTP for a9lh on the New 3ds. Old 3ds is stuck still doing the 2.1.0 downgrade though.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

It's an excellent guide. I hadn't done homebrew stuff since ds days so was a bit out of touch but it went fine.

It took my longer to get access to my tesco account to order the 3ds then it did to go though the guide.

I also was trying to join the chat room so if anything went wrong midway I had people to help, but by the time it finally let me speak in the chat room I was already running the final system update.

So yeah, guide is great! Now to figure out how to transfer my nephews n3ds over to this one and then back again with dsihax

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
So as somebody on 11.0.0-33 with MenuHax installed, am I SOL for any sort of online connectivity for the time being? What about booting carts that ask for updates as I assume Pokemon Sun/Moon will?

Edit: I do have Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon which has its own secondary exploit so I could theoretically update and keep homebrew if needed but is that something I should bother with

Double edit: Looking into httpwn now

Dr. Dos fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 28, 2016

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Oh nice. OTPLess is out. It's part of SafeA9LHInstaller.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

havenwaters posted:

Oh nice. OTPLess is out. It's part of SafeA9LHInstaller.

This means no downgrade to 2.1 needed anymore right? That's neat. That's the "scariest" part of the A9LH install.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

ddogflex posted:

This means no downgrade to 2.1 needed anymore right? That's neat. That's the "scariest" part of the A9LH install.

Yeah. For NEW N3DSes only you can install A9LH on 9.2 now.

Old N3DSes still have to downgrade to 2.1.0 but the old 3ds doesn't have a risk of an unrecoverable brick if you close the lid by accident or let it go to sleep by some other means.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
No downgrade past 9.2? Well my sysnand is still on 9.2 so it's looking like it might finally be time to buy a 64gb card and make the switch from my old Emunand hack.

If I'm switching SD cards and hacks, should I back up my saves first, or should I be able to keep everything intact? Granted I'll probably just back up my saves first anyway....

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
Everything comes over, and a full backup is part of the guide.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Only problem with the guide right now is that the direct links for some of the stuff were taken down again so now you're stuck with using torrents.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

For some reason and I have no idea why my gateway can't read the emunand

I'm also pretty lovely and stupid about these kinds of things

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

It's your fault for buying a drat Gateway cmon fam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012