Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Mervyn is like the Hero if the Hero were an old man, since all his physical stats are still pretty high, albeit rusty. I'm probably gonna make him a caster though since he's comparable to Maribel, only without the speed due to being old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i made him a jester as soon as i got him, now he's a dancer. gonna turn this old man into the newest teen idol

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

AriadneThread posted:

i made him a jester as soon as i got him, now he's a dancer. gonna turn this old man into the newest teen idol
If they didn't change the optional postgame fight against god he's in good company.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Dr. Fetus posted:

Wisdom does nothing to increase magic damage since spells deal fixed damage. Wisdom is actually the magic evasion stat.

I'm aware that they didn't add bonus damage from high Wisdom on spells until DQ8. It just also happens to be the stat Mervyn outclasses everyone else in, unless they changed his stats for the remake as I don't have him yet, so I mentioned it. He also has MP at least as good as Maribel at most levels.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, it's actually pretty cool that he's a slower version of like every Hero, and there's worse things than a slow mage in a game where the AI literally cheats in your favor.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
As far as I know, he's either got best or second-best stats in the game for every stat but agility.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

neongrey posted:

As far as I know, he's either got best or second-best stats in the game for every stat but agility.

IIRC he has bad Style too, but who cares?

edit: If Style does anything aside from let you win the style contest in DQ7, I don't know what it is.

Prism fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 2, 2016

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

If they didn't change the optional postgame fight against god he's in good company.

They made it better. He loving twerks you, one butt cheek at a time.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Cyberventurer posted:

Is that The Almighty giving you his best Puff-Puff, or just the Underpants Dance?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I've never played a DQ game. I have a 3DS-- is the DS version of 9 or is 7 the best jumping in point?

I don't have a PS2.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
7 is a really huge game, I'm loving it so far and it'll probably be my second favorite after 5, but it'll be a while before i boot it up after I 100% it. Since you have a 3DS I'd honestly try 5 first, it's an updated version of pretty much the best DQ and SNES JRPG story-wise.

Also 9 is good too, but they reprinted 5 and 9's vocation system is pretty unlike any others except for 3 a little bit. 4 is good too even if they took out the feature where your party members talk about a lot of events in little optional asides unless you're playing the phone version.

Last Celebration fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 2, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Which monster classes are worth going after? I already Ruff as a Healslime.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dr. Fetus posted:

Drakslime is good for the various breath attacks to save MP.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Soul Glo posted:

I've never played a DQ game. I have a 3DS-- is the DS version of 9 or is 7 the best jumping in point?

I don't have a PS2.

You might want to wait for the 3DS version of 8, but if you're impatient to get into a kickass series, yeah go for 4 or 5. 9 is good but imo you get more out of it the more you've experienced the series.

7 is drat good and might be my second or third favorite right now but it's fuckhuge so if you don't go in knowing you love the series you might be in trouble.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cyberventurer posted:

This is everything I never knew I wanted out of life.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I went with a Wyvern over a Drake Slime, but this may have been a mistake. Fortunately, it's Dragon Quest, so who cares.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Super important question, how many Slime classes are there? I wish to save the world as a gang of Slimes.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Four: Slime, Healslime, Drake Slime and Platinum King Jewel.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Speaking of monster classes, is there any way to get the hearts from the advanced ones? I guess something called a dingbat teaches Thin Air (and some other good stuff but I mostly care about my crowd control options since having Pirate and Paladin together annihilating everything spoiled me) but it doesn't drop its heart. If I have to grind up the prerequisite monsters then I'll probably just have the Hero in Paladin forever since it has a great skillset anyway.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
There's 3 more dlc tablets out now, replacing the old 3.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Also finally got the ability to find my own tablets. And then immediately regretted filling it with abyss divers. Anyways, anyone know what are good monster tablets to make? I assume tablets filled with monsters that drop hearts are a good idea.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Two DQVII questions:

1) Are there pictures of the different jobs somewhere? The most important thing when picking a class in an RPG is how it looks :colbert:
2) How far into the game and for how long does Maribel leave?

I'm still working my way through the series so it's gonna be a while until I get back to VII, but one of my main gripes about the series is still character design.. I guess aesthetics is more important to my enjoyment of JRPGs than I thought.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Your Computer posted:

Two DQVII questions:

1) Are there pictures of the different jobs somewhere? The most important thing when picking a class in an RPG is how it looks :colbert:

I'm still working my way through the series so it's gonna be a while until I get back to VII, but one of my main gripes about the series is still character design.. I guess aesthetics is more important to my enjoyment of JRPGs than I thought.

Here's lowish quality pics.

http://dq-gh.com/dq7/job/job1.html
http://dq-gh.com/dq7/job/job2.html

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Your Computer posted:

Two DQVII questions:

I'm gonna use this point to again shill DQ8 but then what can you do. :smug: If all you care about is character design then there's nothing left for you.

Seriously though, DQ8 is designed by a bunch of old dudes who were determined to make the best posse ever.

ROFL Octopus fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 2, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

cloofish posted:

I'm gonna use this point to again shill DQ8 but then what can you do. :smug:

Nothing, because I don't have a PS2 :v:

I just think it's harder to get immersed when I don't like my characters' designs, probably. I hear he's the best character, but I just can't get past the design of Ruff. I was hoping some of the costumes jobs change the designs enough for me to appreciate them :downs:

Thanks!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Your Computer posted:

Nothing, because I don't have a PS2 :v:

Emulate it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, the tablet version of dq8 was free for a while if for some reason you hate life and want to suffer.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Last Celebration posted:

Speaking of monster classes, is there any way to get the hearts from the advanced ones? I guess something called a dingbat teaches Thin Air (and some other good stuff but I mostly care about my crowd control options since having Pirate and Paladin together annihilating everything spoiled me) but it doesn't drop its heart. If I have to grind up the prerequisite monsters then I'll probably just have the Hero in Paladin forever since it has a great skillset anyway.

Dingbats do drop their hearts. I'm fairly sure you can get hearts via monster drop for all available vocations with the exception of Slaughtomaton (since it's a boss you only fight once). The more advanced vocation monsters mostly spawn in the final or postgame dungeons, though. By that time it might be kinda pointless to farm their hearts.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
dingbats are mostly nice so someone can always have thin air. a much easier alternative is just leaving someone as a paladin for the entire game. monster classes are very much an optional system.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
So are they going to have timed dlc that never comes back? Someone above mentioned getting new tablets that replaced old ones.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Perspective is sometimes a thing in this game.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Dr. Fetus posted:

Aside from the previously mentioned Healslime and Drake Slime, Jawtoise is a good base level monster. It'll permanently teach you the Oomph and Kabuff spells.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Ojetor posted:

Dingbats do drop their hearts. I'm fairly sure you can get hearts via monster drop for all available vocations with the exception of Slaughtomaton (since it's a boss you only fight once). The more advanced vocation monsters mostly spawn in the final or postgame dungeons, though. By that time it might be kinda pointless to farm their hearts.

Oh, I was looking at the PS1 guide, good to know. I really just wish they left the system as is though, I know people got lazy with vocations, but I don't really feel like there's any reason not to go Paladin/Pirate/Sage/Sage except that'll make the game boring. I never played vanilla DQ7, but with how fast the vocations level and how well-rounded most of them are with the prerequisite jobs it sort of feels like shooting yourself in the foot to master new ones.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Im completely stuck towards the tail end of the game. Question for those who can help: in the Likeness round 2, when you visit the basement to get the pieces of face for the earth spirit, how in the world do I open the statue that just says "Theres a statue of a large scary monster here"?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

In Training posted:

Im completely stuck towards the tail end of the game. Question for those who can help: in the Likeness round 2, when you visit the basement to get the pieces of face for the earth spirit, how in the world do I open the statue that just says "Theres a statue of a large scary monster here"?

The words on the floor before you enter are a hint. The one for the face says "only time could get past you". Thus, the solution is to wait in front of it. Also, make sure you "use" the Heart Stone to break it into Ear Stones.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Alxprit posted:

The words on the floor before you enter are a hint. The one for the face says "only time could get past you". Thus, the solution is to wait in front of it. Also, make sure you "use" the Heart Stone to break it into Ear Stones.

That detail slipped past me because the other parts were so easy to get, and now I feel like an idiot. Thank you!

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
For who imported/played Dragon Quest Builders, is it as fun as the demo makes it seem or does it get old fast?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Your Computer posted:

I just think it's harder to get immersed when I don't like my characters' designs, probably. I hear he's the best character, but I just can't get past the design of Ruff. I was hoping some of the costumes jobs change the designs enough for me to appreciate them :downs:

Imo 7's MC looks pretty dumb in his default outfit, but he actually looks pretty cool in martial artist or gladiator, for example.

e: Also some jobs give Ruff's wolf a costume too :3:

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
So I feel like I've hit a wall in 7. I'm at the boss of sunken citadel and he hits like a friggin truck, taking my party down in a couple turns. I never chose any classes for my party members, so maybe I should go that route? Or do I just need to grind more levels (currently sitting around 21)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

BisterdDave posted:

I never chose any classes for my party members, so maybe I should go that route?

What the gently caress