Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

spit on my clit posted:

ah 4kids king DDD, the only voice befitting D'Arby

How can I help you, Mister Dio?

I NEED A STAND TO CLOBBAH THAT THERE JOJO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

MrAristocrates posted:

Dubs are good, friends, and JoJo dubs are even better

Theyve got british accents, so it goes in the garbage. I dont know what they were thinking with Joseph VA.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I enjoy the dub of JoJo. The OVA Dub is also cheesy as gently caress but pretty entertaining, especially Dio's VA who they go full ham with, god drat does that dude go ham.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Meme Emulator posted:

Theyve got british accents, so it goes in the garbage. I dont know what they were thinking with Joseph VA.

They've got accents that americans think are british but aren't. It's cringey as hell.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Meme Emulator posted:

It was meant to be a different take on the character, is basically it. They knew they weren't going to outright top Sugita, so they tried a different approach to it. A lot of people I talk to online like it, but it's definitely cheesy as gently caress to the point where it turns some people off. I think Diskin does hit a lot of his lines really well despite how silly it can get and he hits the high points pretty well. He's not Sugita, but Sugita's also not Hochu Otsuka and I think there's enough room for me to like all three of them for their own thing.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Aurain do you like japanese Goku this is important

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

North Americans will never know how grating it is to have someone ape your accent in the most tremendously racist way possible so Josuke has my sympathy for the JoJo dub.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

EmmyOk posted:

North Americans will never know how grating it is to have someone ape your accent in the most tremendously racist way possible so Josuke has my sympathy for the JoJo dub.

I've heard Japanese voice acted versions of American characters, it's pretty funny.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

wet your whistlers mother posted:

I've heard Japanese voice acted versions of American characters, it's pretty funny.

Okay that is always 100% great agreed. However Irish characters in literally anything are always quite grating to me personally. I'm fine with most dubs and I think the difference is you can hear people doing accents and affectations (like snooty person) much more easily in your native tongue whereas all Japanese sounds alike to me. So even if Japanese voice actors are overdoing it or wooden it is far harder to discern compared to dubs in English. That said there are no good tough guy voices in English dubs, fight me.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There are actually a lot of good tough guy voices in English dubs and not even just American ones.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I find Japanese tough guy voices tend to me much rougher and more guttural which sounds far cooler to me. Mugen in Champloo's English dub just sounds like a pokemon baddy compared to the wild dog in Japanese. Darker than Black and FMA had gureito dubs though and I liked them a lot, Durarara too.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

I actually really liked the Samurai Champloo dub a lot. I watched the whole series last year I believe? Whenever it ran on Toonami. The voice acting seemed really top notch, and I appreciated watching it quite a bit, even if it's apparently completely inferior to Cowboy Bebop (And also an anime I should've watched a long time ago :negative:)

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The Samurai Champloo dub rules

It's not really a Tough Guy voice but Ladd Russo's voice in the Baccano dub kick rear end as a bad dude voice.

Baccano kicks rear end

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hace posted:

Aurain do you like japanese Goku this is important

Yeah, she's cool.
I don't dislike Faulconer but I prefer the og OST too.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

EmmyOk posted:

I find Japanese tough guy voices tend to me much rougher and more guttural which sounds far cooler to me. Mugen in Champloo's English dub just sounds like a pokemon baddy compared to the wild dog in Japanese. Darker than Black and FMA had gureito dubs though and I liked them a lot, Durarara too.

I don't disagree, but I'm also so used to hearing Japanese delinquent voices that something like isn't just like inherently tough to me anymore. it also just gets kinda ridiculous sometimes where certain times they just shout and make noises and that makes them lose a lot of their coolness factor. I do definitely think that there's no real 1:1 comparison for those voices in English. Like the closest I could think of would be like 1950s Greasers and they edge more on sounding tough for the time whereas now being a tough dude from New York is basically a big joke. So whenever the Part 4 dub rolls around, it's gonna be pretty weird to someone who isn't Takagi voicing Okuyasu and that voice is far too unique for anyone to potentially try and match that they're gonna have to go for something different and I can't imagine what it would be. That being said Jotaro in English sounds really good and has a good tough guy voice to me, because Matt Mercer is generally a very good voice actor.

That being said, a good tough guy voice I feel like a lot of people know and like is Scott McNeil, who is canadian and has a really cool voice.

Moltrey posted:

The Samurai Champloo dub rules

It's not really a Tough Guy voice but Ladd Russo's voice in the Baccano dub kick rear end as a bad dude voice.

Baccano kicks rear end

Also yeah, Bryan Massey's a loving awesome VA when he gets to do anything that's not side characters.

LightningKimba posted:

I actually really liked the Samurai Champloo dub a lot. I watched the whole series last year I believe? Whenever it ran on Toonami. The voice acting seemed really top notch, and I appreciated watching it quite a bit, even if it's apparently completely inferior to Cowboy Bebop (And also an anime I should've watched a long time ago :negative:)

The Champloo dub is fantastic and I'm one of those guys who actually likes Champloo more than Bebop, so I wouldn't say it's completely inferior, but that's another discussion for another time.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

There are good dubs, and truthfully Jojo doesn't seem like a bad dub, Jojo is just so unbelievably Japanese even when it's British or Italian that I don't really care to see anything but the original.

e: is Crispin Freeman in the Jojo dub at any point

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
if you watch jojo in english then it won't be funny when Joseph says says the swears and that's terrible

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

p much

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rodyle posted:

There are good dubs, and truthfully Jojo doesn't seem like a bad dub, Jojo is just so unbelievably Japanese even when it's British or Italian that I don't really care to see anything but the original.

e: is Crispin Freeman in the Jojo dub at any point

No, he hasn't been in an English dub for a good while

Pomp posted:

if you watch jojo in english then it won't be funny when Joseph says says the swears and that's terrible

That's true, yeah

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pomp posted:

Just switch to his original VA for those lines.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Polnareff needs an amazingly over the top French accent.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They have already shown Polnareff with no french accent and it's unfortunate, because this is the one character who should absolutely have one.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I have never seen Bebop but I've seen Champloo multiple times. I was really excited that Bebop was going to be on Crunchyroll but apparently it's only coming to Crunchyroll North America :saddowns: The Japanese VA for Mugen also does Zoro in One Piece and I think he's marvelous which is why Mugen is irreplaceable for me. I think the only other Japanese VA I can recognise is the one who plays Jiraiya in Naruto.

I don't disagree, but I'm also so used to hearing Japanese delinquent voices that something like isn't just like inherently tough to me anymore. it also just gets kinda ridiculous sometimes where certain times they just shout and make noises and that makes them lose a lot of their coolness factor. I do definitely think that there's no real 1:1 comparison for those voices in English. Like the closest I could think of would be like 1950s Greasers and they edge more on sounding tough for the time whereas now being a tough dude from New York is basically a big joke. So whenever the Part 4 dub rolls around, it's gonna be pretty weird to someone who isn't Takagi voicing Okuyasu and that voice is far too unique for anyone to potentially try and match that they're gonna have to go for something different and I can't imagine what it would be. That being said Jotaro in English sounds really good and has a good tough guy voice to me, because Matt Mercer is generally a very good voice actor.

Yeah I don't watch nearly enough anime to have that kind of fatigue but that makes a lot of sense. There's plenty of voices that mean little to me in Japanese that I am super excited to hear in English some day for example All Might in MHA has a cool voice but I'm way more excited to hear that in English because he's so heavily Western inspired.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kazuya Nakai is p amazing yeah

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Okay that is always 100% great agreed. However Irish characters in literally anything are always quite grating to me personally. I'm fine with most dubs and I think the difference is you can hear people doing accents and affectations (like snooty person) much more easily in your native tongue whereas all Japanese sounds alike to me. So even if Japanese voice actors are overdoing it or wooden it is far harder to discern compared to dubs in English. That said there are no good tough guy voices in English dubs, fight me.

EmmyOk what are your thoughts on Dagda from SMTIV:A

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I googled it there, he sounds quite american still but the accent he's doing is closer to Scottish than Irish. To be fair though I doubt most people outside the British Isles can tell and occasionally on rural accents it's hard to tell if it's Scottish or Irish.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I started playing Vanquish with the English voices but had to switch to Japanese because the English voices everyone sounded like sissies whereas in Japanese the huge muscly dudes sound like badasses.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

El Hefe posted:

I started playing Vanquish with the English voices but had to switch to Japanese because the English voices everyone sounded like sissies whereas in Japanese the huge muscly dudes sound like badasses.

Vanquish is extremely great everyone play it asap

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

If were talking video game dubs, I changed every 3d Ninja Gaiden game to japanese because I'm a big enough dweeb that a ninja speaking english with an american accent makes my blood boil gosh darnit!!! Also the main character's english voice was really flat and boring but that's not the point

e: and about Joseph's english va, I'm basically deaf to good accents but I still cringed at how fake the british accent sounded

smuh fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 2, 2016

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

EmmyOk posted:

I googled it there, he sounds quite american still but the accent he's doing is closer to Scottish than Irish. To be fair though I doubt most people outside the British Isles can tell and occasionally on rural accents it's hard to tell if it's Scottish or Irish.

I have trouble telling sometimes, but I feel like I can usually differentiate. I struggle to tell British accents apart a bit more, because all I really know is Cockney and that's because it's so distinct to me.

El Hefe posted:

Wtf is this, Gideon Emery is awesome

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I always associate JoJo with over-the-top bullshit so ridiculously bad accents are a positive. I also just love Diskin whenever I hear him, dude's great.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ben Diskin's a v good voice actor, yeah.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

MrAristocrates posted:

I always associate JoJo with over-the-top bullshit so ridiculously bad accents are a positive. I also just love Diskin whenever I hear him, dude's great.
Well I certainly wanted Polly to have one!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Polnareff should absolutely have one yeah but any disappointment from that is outweighed by Bryce loving Pappenbrook throwing out the most absurd Italian accent I've ever heard in my life, it's loving amazing

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I have trouble telling sometimes, but I feel like I can usually differentiate. I struggle to tell British accents apart a bit more, because all I really know is Cockney and that's because it's so distinct to me.

Yeah they're usually fairly different and in person I'd never make the mistake but hearing someone speak online etc. I occasionally think "Is that Northern Irish or Scottish" for a second.

When I am reading manga I try to imagine different voices for the characters and at one point in Air Gear where it mentioned Sora is from a different city so for US readers to imagine the difference between NYC and LA or two cities from your own country. I just imagined generic american accents for them because it'd sound too ridiculous otherwise.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Okay that is always 100% great agreed. However Irish characters in literally anything are always quite grating to me personally. I'm fine with most dubs and I think the difference is you can hear people doing accents and affectations (like snooty person) much more easily in your native tongue whereas all Japanese sounds alike to me. So even if Japanese voice actors are overdoing it or wooden it is far harder to discern compared to dubs in English.
I don't think this is it because whenever I watch an American cartoon the voice acting is just fine. I think there's probably just less time/direction put into dubbing of foreign stuff in general. Do they still have to try and time their voice acting to match the mouth movements? I could imagine that being very distracting if so.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

just lol if you don't think joseph joestar sounds like zak dingle

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
So yeah I'm looking at the new OP and...

Does Kira seriously have three stands? Did his dad just keep stabbing him with the arrow repeatedly? Did he hand out stands as a reward anytime Kira won 3rd place in something?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dragonwagon posted:

So yeah I'm looking at the new OP and...

Does Kira seriously have three stands? Did his dad just keep stabbing him with the arrow repeatedly? Did he hand out stands as a reward anytime Kira won 3rd place in something?

Who knows, maybe it will be answered in an upcoming episode?

(It will be, get hype)

Also, Sheer Heart Attack is just one of Killer Queen's abilities, it's not a second stand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Sheer Heart Attack isn't another stand, just another part of Killer Queen

• Locked thread