Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

gimpsuitjones posted:

I lost my smartphone and went back to a Nokia brick phone which only let me make calls and text (painfully slowly) and it was amazing to be not-constantly-connected but then I had to get a new smartphone and boo

My work's stupidly-locked down Windows Phone can do so little that I get amazing battery life out of it. It's a real mixed blessing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
It's not rocket science to keep Fanuc robots running... Also a mystery nut dropped from one of the bolts holding up one of the overhead protective grates. Fun night and it ain't over yet

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

fridge corn posted:

Sony makes the best smartphones also the ps4 is the best gameing device for the money and also their tellys are better than sarnsung really makes you think 🤔

So..... they make the best of utter crap? Yeah that's a great thing to be good at.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

My favourite brand is the best because your favourite sucks

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

150mph sustained wind hurricane in the Carribean... moving at 5mph. That thing's gonna do some roflstomping this week.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

freelop posted:

My favourite brand is the best because your favourite sucks

I will fight you.

Not very much though.

So who has a slow cooker here? I'm thinking of getting one but I need recipes my kids will eat.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Seminal Flu posted:

150mph sustained wind hurricane in the Carribean... moving at 5mph. That thing's gonna do some roflstomping this week.

reeeeeeally side-eyeing that forecast cone, as fun as hurricane parties are I'd rather keep the streak going of Orlando not being hit too hard. I still remember the millions of blue tarp roofs after Charley.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

sidewalk gum posted:

I will fight you.

Not very much though.

So who has a slow cooker here? I'm thinking of getting one but I need recipes my kids will eat.

I use mine to make vindaloo and tikka masala and to prep kadai gosht since they all usually require ~3 hours of simmering

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I've got a ton saved at home. My wife found them a while back. There's Asian stuff like orange chicken, bbq, and more standard stuff like roasts too.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

We still posting pooches?

Holy poo poo do puppies have the best life. Play, eat, sleep. Rinse & repeat.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
there is only one stupid brand hill i will die on.

GT4 is the best driving game of all time and it is best played on a SD Trinitronn

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Going to see Blind Guardian and Grave Digger tonight.

I need to grow a mullet in the next ten hours.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

sidewalk gum posted:

I will fight you.

Not very much though.

Get a pressure cooker instead

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

sidewalk gum posted:

I will fight you.

Not very much though.

BraveUlysses posted:

Get a pressure cooker instead

Go best of both worlds and get something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-IP-DUO60-Multi-Functional-Pressure/dp/B00FLYWNYQ

I use mine in the winter to make chili and soup.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

McTinkerson posted:

Holy poo poo do puppies have the best life. Play, eat, sleep. Rinse & repeat.
Pets with good owners be it kitties or dogges have the best life. If there is reincarnation, I wanna come back as a cat with an owner like me. Sleep all day, yowl to get the owners attention and get fawned over, when I tire of it walk away to a sunbeam and sleep even more, maybe take a dump and have owner clean my toilet out. Living to 17 or so might be a fair trade off.

Friends of ours got a lab pup a few months ago

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seminal Flu posted:

FL dodged another bullet on that one. Was scared to death I was gonna get stuck in Boston, not that I don't like it (I love it) but I can't afford 300 a night until a hurricane is done stopping flights. Actually posting from a plane right now yay technology.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

sidewalk gum posted:

I have one and it owns. I think everyone in my family owns one of these: https://www.amazon.com/West-84905-5-Quart-Oblong-Shaped-Cooker/dp/B001AH5H0A and they're fantastic.

Here's a recipe my mom used to make that we loved; it's got a sweet BBQ sauce kind of flavor so all of us kids adored it:

Pham Nuwen posted:

Here's a good fuckin' bean recipe that my mom would make. We just called it "bean thing" because we didn't know another name for it. It's Midwestern as hell but in a good way.

Bean Thing

1# hamburger
1 can kidney beans
1/4 to 1/2# chopped bacon
1/2 c. chopped onions
1 can pork and beans
1 can of navy, red, or northern beans

sauce:
1/2 c. catsup
1/2 c brown sugar
salt and pepper
squirt of mustard and/or molasses
dash of Worchestershire sauce

Brown and drain the bacon , hamburger and onion. Put in the crock pot with the pork and beans. Drain the juice off the other cans of beans and add. Mix the sauce ingredients together and stir into bean mixture. Put it in the crock pot on low all drat day.

Eat it with some fresh-baked bread because you just made a zero-effort dinner and have time left over to bake some bread.

Other things:

• Put some chicken breasts, "taco seasoning", and maybe a cup of water in before you leave for work, shred it when you get home and eat with tortillas
  • Chili (with beans you ignorant poo poo, if you don't want beans just make carne adovada)
  • Roast beef. Put down a layer of quartered onions & potatoes and carrot chunks underneath the roast; they will be insanely delicious.
  • Carne adovada. Look it up, then make it. It's incredible. The longer you cook it, the better it'll be.
  • All sorts of stews
  • Indian daal (way faster in a pressure cooker but you can make it in a slow cooker if you soak the lentils overnight and then cook all day)

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

sidewalk gum posted:

Use the slow cooker a couple times a month for big food prep, works great and super easy.

funny Star Wars parody posted:

I use mine to make vindaloo and tikka masala and to prep kadai gosht since they all usually require ~3 hours of simmering

QuarkMartial posted:

I've got a ton saved at home. My wife found them a while back. There's Asian stuff like orange chicken, bbq, and more standard stuff like roasts too.
Please share these, I have a bunch of basic boring recipes but those sound good

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

First one to guess what this is gets a cookie

Ah Jesus how do you post pics from a phone

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
The battery in my truck is toast and I'm going to get a replacement today. Group 34 if that matters. I'm between one of the top-of-the -line lead-acid batteries with the 5-year warranty for like $125, the O'Reilly's house brand AGM battery for $165, and an Optima red top for $225. Leaning toward the house brand AGM, but I'm soliciting opinions.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Applebees Appetizer posted:

First one to guess what this is gets a cookie

Ah Jesus how do you post pics from a phone

It's a Fiero.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Good guess! I'll post it when I get home. The awful app has a "add attachment" option but apparently I'm not doing something right

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

The awful app has a "add attachment" option but apparently I'm not doing something right

That never works for me either.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
It's a Lite-Brite rendering of a Mooninite.

</timely reference>

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT

iwentdoodie posted:

Going to see Blind Guardian and Grave Digger tonight.

I need to grow a mullet in the next ten hours.

grave digger's keyboardist has a full grim reaper suit and that's all you really need to know about them. blind guardian rips and hansi's stilted english phrasing during inter-song banter is rather endearing.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Scrambles posted:

grave digger's keyboardist has a full grim reaper suit and that's all you really need to know about them. blind guardian rips and hansi's stilted english phrasing during inter-song banter is rather endearing.

I've wanted to see BG live for over a decade now, so I'm excited. As long as they play bards song I can be happy

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

NitroSpazzz posted:

Use the slow cooker a couple times a month for big food prep, works great and super easy.

Please share these, I have a bunch of basic boring recipes but those sound good

https://www.facebook.com/buzzfeedpropertasty/videos/1821057368106935/

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Good guess! I'll post it when I get home. The awful app has a "add attachment" option but apparently I'm not doing something right

It needs to be really small.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Chicken breast or ground beef in slow cooker recipes are disgusting

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

BraveUlysses posted:

I will never understand the obsession with chicken breast, period. It's just a boring rear end meat that has to be seasoned to gently caress to even be edible.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

Wow look at this wrong opinion

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Everyone is obsessed with chicken breast because it's cheap as gently caress and everyone is poor

Otherwise we'd all eat lamb every day

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Thighs/legs are about the same price (used to be way cheaper til people caught on) and have way more flavor, and have a much better texture for low'n'slow cooking methods.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT

iwentdoodie posted:

I've wanted to see BG live for over a decade now, so I'm excited. As long as they play bards song I can be happy

they did

e: breasts are for plebs, thicc thighs are where's it at re: chicks

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Enourmo posted:

Thighs/legs are about the same price (used to be way cheaper til people caught on) and have way more flavor, and have a much better texture for low'n'slow cooking methods.

A pack of thighs, even boneless skinless, are usually a dollar a pound or more cheaper here. Legs are usually two to three dollars cheaper.

And scrambles, awesome news. When/where did you see them?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Everyone is obsessed with chicken breast because it's cheap as gently caress and everyone is poor

Otherwise we'd all eat lamb every day

Chicken breasts are the single most expensive cut if you are buying fresh pre butchered chicken. It's too lean to gain any benefit from slow cooking.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Enourmo posted:

Ah yeah those are usually more expensive and usually have less meat on them comparatively so I've never bothered

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Also the other thing to note is when you're slow cooking chicken breasts in curry it's more for the curry than it is for the chicken :henget:

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT

iwentdoodie posted:

A pack of thighs, even boneless skinless, are usually a dollar a pound or more cheaper here. Legs are usually two to three dollars cheaper.

And scrambles, awesome news. When/where did you see them?

NC, carrboro (ie "the triangle"). weird crowd, lots of moms accompanying teenage shut-ins and everyone was way too polite about personal space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

iwentdoodie posted:

It varies a lot depending where you are. Around here they're close to the same, and apparently according to the FDA dark overtook light in national average price a few years back.

I mean ffs oxtail is more expensive than ground beef around me (like $6.50/lb vs $5/lb). There's no more "cheap cuts" of meat now that everyone knows how delicious they actually are.

• Locked thread