Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

Croquettes also do, don't bread them just freeze the filling in balls.

I did this today, with these guys:

http://www.justonecookbook.com/korokke-croquette/

I've got 14 of them in the freezer now, about 75g/3oz each in a fat sausage shape. Should I defrost them overnight in the fridge before I bread/deep fry them, or can I bread them from frozen and just cook them a bit longer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Gerblyn posted:

I did this today, with these guys:

http://www.justonecookbook.com/korokke-croquette/

I've got 14 of them in the freezer now, about 75g/3oz each in a fat sausage shape. Should I defrost them overnight in the fridge before I bread/deep fry them, or can I bread them from frozen and just cook them a bit longer?

Defrost them, otherwise the outside is likely to burn before the inside is warmed through.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Will do, thanks!

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

That Works posted:

I don't know if anyone can say for certain without knowing the model of oven you have but a few things from having used a couple of different very old gas ovens:

1. Generally clockwise starts at low temp and goes up to highest. This may not be a universal rule for all manufacturers though.

2. I haven't seen any "light" setting for an oven with a pilot setup. For all the ones I've encountered it's just been turn up the heat, oven lights up. You could test this easily enough by just turning it up to a low heat, let it run for 60 seconds and then see if the oven is lit. That won't be enough time to release so much unlit gas that it's a safety issue and more than enough time for it to have lit if it was going to.

Take all of this with a healthy dose of skepticism and be safe first.

Ok I think I figured out my stove, I don't think it has temperature settings! I was fiddling with the oven knob and could hear the gas getting louder and quiter as I put the knob back and forth. So I think I must just need to turn it on and off like a pleb to get the right temperature. This would explain why it heated to like 500+ on the middle of the range.

Does there exist a temperature sensor that I can read outside of an oven? My oven doen't have a glass window so I can't read it unless I open it up.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://www.thermoworks.com/TX-1003X-AP probe for the DOT, http://www.thermoworks.com/DOT. Or you can go for the ChefAlarm, which would be a bit more. There's also the ThermaQ Kit for about double the price.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

kedo posted:

How much salt is required to quick pickle something that I plan on keeping for 6-8 weeks in the fridge?

I've been trying to make pickled cherry peppers that are more vinegary in flavor than salty, but every recipe I've found asks for a lot of salt. I'm not actually canning them because I don't have the ability to pressure cook in my kitchen. Instead I'm doing ghetto rigged canning (putting them in jars with boiling brine, boiling the jars for ~5 minutes) and I'm not keeping them any longer than about two months. If I can get away with putting little to no salt in there, I'd prefer it. However I'm assuming at least some is required for preservative purposes.

Any help?

Hate to bump my own post, but any opinions on this? My super salty pickled peppers are bumming me out.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
My girlfriend is trying to lose weight, so I'm looking for suggestions for some low fat, low carb weeknight dinners? I rely on pasta a lot for weeknights, so I'm trying to cut back on that for her.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Invisible Ted posted:

My girlfriend is trying to lose weight, so I'm looking for suggestions for some low fat, low carb weeknight dinners? I rely on pasta a lot for weeknights, so I'm trying to cut back on that for her.

Shakshuka. It's a hearty tomato stew to which you can add tons of different vegetables, whatever is in season and whatever is to your liking. Practically fat and carb free, couldn't be healthier, and you can skip the eggs if you want to make it really fat free.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So I know the FDA meat temp recommendations are based on instant-killing bacteria, and lower temps can make the food safe if it's held there longer. My questions is, why are there different temps for different meats? Bacteria's bacteria, right? It seems like all meats should have the same temperature if that's the concern.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

kedo posted:

Hate to bump my own post, but any opinions on this? My super salty pickled peppers are bumming me out.

Post your recipe.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Enourmo posted:

So I know the FDA meat temp recommendations are based on instant-killing bacteria, and lower temps can make the food safe if it's held there longer. My questions is, why are there different temps for different meats? Bacteria's bacteria, right? It seems like all meats should have the same temperature if that's the concern.

Different meats have different bacteria maybe?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Invisible Ted posted:

Spaghetti squash is a good pasta alternative. Caulifower rice for rice. Also, just get whatever's on sale and make stir fry. You can make a big plate with zucchini and onion and bell pepper.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Eggplant can be done cheap, at least around my area. Stir fry it, baked (parm can be done without frying) or for really good variety, try roasting it or curry.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

My mother in law gave us a big chuck roast. We've also got potatoes and carrots, along with a small amount of peas. Is there a recipe for a stew that maybe could go well with rice? I also don't have any flour and never use it. Could I blend up some of the cooked potatoes to thicken it up?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My mother in law gave us a big chuck roast. We've also got potatoes and carrots, along with a small amount of peas. Is there a recipe for a stew that maybe could go well with rice? I also don't have any flour and never use it. Could I blend up some of the cooked potatoes to thicken it up?

You can blend up the carrots/onion/celery by themselves to thicken up the gravy too.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Enourmo posted:

For fun, here's one of the governmment charts. Here's USDA's, which may be more up to date. And here's FDA. My understanding is that it has to do with the internal molecular structure(density, etc) and usual shape of the meat.

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

Invisible Ted posted:

Roasted broccoli and/or cauliflower. Lightly oil, salt and pepper, hot oven until as crispy as you like it! VERY easy, satisfying, and filling; a big ol pan of roast broccoli and a sausage has become a standard healthy dinner.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Hoping someone can help me with this. My favorite Mexican dish is "Chile Colorado". This seems to be a fairly common dish in Mexican restaurants. It is beef (pork in Texas) in a red (Colorado) sauce served with rice and refried beans. The local Mexican restaurant does an awesome version, but they refuse to give/sell me the recipe for the sauce. I have tried a dozen or more recipes found in cookbooks and online, and none have fit the bill. They all fail for different reasons (Rick Bayless' recipe was, sadly, the worst).

Here is what I know of the dish:

• it is beef, not pork (as is more common in Texas)
  • it is not a stew, the beef is cooked separately and sauced on the plate
  • it is almost certainly a tomato based sauce

I have had people suggest to me that it is a canned enchilada sauce (it isn't).

Surely someone can get me close (I hope).

Please?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Micomicona posted:

Roasted broccoli and/or cauliflower. Lightly oil, salt and pepper, hot oven until as crispy as you like it! VERY easy, satisfying, and filling; a big ol pan of roast broccoli and a sausage has become a standard healthy dinner.

Seconding this as I do the same. This and also asparagus roast well. Sausage or some chicken breasts or pork loin just cooked rare go well with it.

Toss your veggies with a little sesame oil and fish sauce if you're getting tired of the same old prep for roasting.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Post your recipe.

I've done this one a couple of times, but I'm by no means married to it: http://thecreeksidecook.com/refrigerator-pickled-hot-peppers/

If possible I'd like to eliminate salt from the recipe almost entirely, but I know it's acting as a preservative. My question is what's the bare minimum amount of salt I need assuming the peppers are going to live in the fridge and be eaten within a maximum of 8 weeks?

e: Oh, and an (un?)related question: does anyone have a good hot sauce recipe that uses ghost peppers? I was digging through my freezer and found a bag of peppers I grew last summer and subsequently froze and forgot about. They still seem to be in great shape.

kedo fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 3, 2016

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Micomicona posted:

This is my favorite cauliflower thing. http://www.chinasichuanfood.com/dry-fried-cauliflower/

The recipe here is very basic compared to what's usually served in restaurants, but the technique is solid. Usually there's some crispy fried pork belly in it, more peppers, ginger, and a sauce that I'm not 100% sure about but I know involves soy sauce, Shaoxing rice wine, and vinegar. Anyway it's real good and amenable to experimentation. A wok is unnecessary, I make it in a real hot cast iron pan and it comes out great.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

kedo posted:

I've done this one a couple of times, but I'm by no means married to it: http://thecreeksidecook.com/refrigerator-pickled-hot-peppers/

If possible I'd like to eliminate salt from the recipe almost entirely, but I know it's acting as a preservative. My question is what's the bare minimum amount of salt I need assuming the peppers are going to live in the fridge and be eaten within a maximum of 8 weeks?

e: Oh, and an (un?)related question: does anyone have a good hot sauce recipe that uses ghost peppers? I was digging through my freezer and found a bag of peppers I grew last summer and subsequently froze and forgot about. They still seem to be in great shape.

And you're keeping those in the fridge the whole time? You can cut the salt in half no problem.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
Thanks for the suggestions, folks! We're going to the grocery store tonight so I'll make sure to load up on cauliflower, spaghetti squash, etc.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Micomicona posted:

Yeah this. Throw some carrots, onion, and winter squash in there to make it maybe slightly more calorie dense but also heartier.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

And you're keeping those in the fridge the whole time? You can cut the salt in half no problem.

Awesome. And yes they're in the fridge pretty much the whole time. I usually leave them out on the counter overnight to fully cool before I stick them in the fridge.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

kedo posted:

Awesome. And yes they're in the fridge pretty much the whole time. I usually leave them out on the counter overnight to fully cool before I stick them in the fridge.

As long as they're not melting the shelves or anything, you're better off sticking them straight in the fridge while hot; it gets them through the 40-140 degree "danger zone" faster, and won't do any harm to them taste-wise.

E: Just saw the recipe says to leave em out, maybe there's pickling stuff going on that I'm not privy to.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Enourmo posted:

As long as they're not melting the shelves or anything, you're better off sticking them straight in the fridge while hot; it gets them through the 40-140 degree "danger zone" faster, and won't do any harm to them taste-wise.

E: Just saw the recipe says to leave em out, maybe there's pickling stuff going on that I'm not privy to.

I tend to let things cool before I put them in the fridge because that's what my mom told me to do way back when I was a kid helping her cook. Something about not heating up the other food in the fridge? Or not working the fridge too hard? Honestly it's just habit now. :)

But yeah... I'm not entirely sure I trust the article after spending the last few days googling things. It's a quick pickle and they're supposedly not fermenting at all, so what's the point in leaving them out? I have no idea.

I read an article which I think I trust (they're at least citing sources) that says as long as you have more vinegar than water you can leave salt out of a recipe entirely for quick pickles.

quote:

Oregon State Extension says, “Salt can be removed from most fresh-pack or ‘quick’ pickles without affecting the safety of the product if the recipe contains as much or more vinegar than water or other liquid. In other words, if the recipe calls for one quart water, it should have at least one quart vinegar, as a rule of thumb. Vinegar may even be the only liquid ingredient.”

This seems like it'd work perfectly for me since a vinegary flavor is what I'm going for.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Enourmo posted:

If all you're looking at is sliced peppers in vinegar then there really isn't a `danger zone'. With pickled-in-vinegar pickles the real `gotcha' is if you have stuff that's thick enough that it's not getting permeated by the pickling solution, like e.g. pickled eggs or something. Sliced veg are really hard to gently caress up that way.

And you're not getting anything out of leaving them out, except maybe allowing the flavours to set up a little faster. The main thing to watch out for in putting a hot jar of something straight into the fridge is that you might end up heating up the poo poo on the shelf next to it, possibly putting *that* poo poo at risk. You also run the risk of shattering the jar if you're putting it on a cold fridge rack when it's still too hot to hold.

And once again I'll advocate for trying fermented peppers over quick pickled peppers. You get a way more complex sauce/sambal/whatever that way and it's falling-off-a-log simple.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Dumb question that's weirdly hard to search for-- in general should you make any modifications to oven temp or cooking time when you bake a casserole in a cast iron pan instead of a regular casserole dish?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

SubG posted:

If all you're looking at is sliced peppers in vinegar then there really isn't a `danger zone'. With pickled-in-vinegar pickles the real `gotcha' is if you have stuff that's thick enough that it's not getting permeated by the pickling solution, like e.g. pickled eggs or something. Sliced veg are really hard to gently caress up that way.

And you're not getting anything out of leaving them out, except maybe allowing the flavours to set up a little faster. The main thing to watch out for in putting a hot jar of something straight into the fridge is that you might end up heating up the poo poo on the shelf next to it, possibly putting *that* poo poo at risk. You also run the risk of shattering the jar if you're putting it on a cold fridge rack when it's still too hot to hold.

And once again I'll advocate for trying fermented peppers over quick pickled peppers. You get a way more complex sauce/sambal/whatever that way and it's falling-off-a-log simple.

Thanks! And I would love to try fermented peppers, but I don't have the ability to pressure cook things. My stovetop can't handle it and I don't have any storage space for a plug-in pressure cooker. :(

That is unless you have a recipe that doesn't require pressure cooking and won't give me botulism...?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I made pickles using the GWS wiki recipe a few weeks ago: http://goonswithspoons.com/Refrigerator_Pickles. They were (and are) terrific, especially with home grown cucumbers.

As for sterilization, I poured boiling water into the mason jars before pouring it out and adding the pickles and brine. I did not die of an infectious disease, and in fact am still eating these pickles out of the fridge without gastrointesinal distress.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

kedo posted:

Thanks! And I would love to try fermented peppers, but I don't have the ability to pressure cook things. My stovetop can't handle it and I don't have any storage space for a plug-in pressure cooker. :(

That is unless you have a recipe that doesn't require pressure cooking and won't give me botulism...?

I never pressure canned mine. The acid and salt makes it fine for hot water bath.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Hmm. Maybe I don't know enough about fermentation and pickling/canning? I'm not incredibly fearful of food borne illness or anything, but I don't know a method for fermenting pickled vegetables that doesn't involve pressure cooking. Everything I've read seems to suggest that if you want to keep something for months or years you need to pressure cook it. If I'm wrong, I would for someone to tell me! What I do now is basically pasteurizing – I put the things in a jar and I boil them for a bit.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I'm trying my hand at a sodium citrate cheese dip for an event this weekend and I need the dankest mixture of cheese/stuff that you guys have. The event is a potluck before a concert in Denver, I'm also trying to think of some good desserts I can put THC.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

goodness posted:

I'm trying my hand at a sodium citrate cheese dip for an event this weekend and I need the dankest mixture of cheese/stuff that you guys have.

On a similar note, I've been trying to recreate the queso dip I get at "Mexican" restaurants. That white melted cheese dip. Anyone have a recipe?

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Ron Jeremy posted:

What can I do to make my pancakes fluffier?

Recipe as follows:

1.5c flour
2.5 tsp baking powder
1tsp salt
3 Tbsn sugar
3 eggs
1 cup milk
3T butter
I capful vanilla

Is my baking powder dead? I've baked with it and it seems fine. Just the pancakes come out flat. Taste good, but I'd like em bigger

How long are you letting the mixture rest? Prepare the batter the night before and refrigerate.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

kedo posted:

Almost literally the only way you can get botulism from fermented pickles is if they're not actually fermented---fermentation bacteria will outcompete C. botulinum unless your climate is completely whack. And if they don't, then C. botulinum won't be the only food spoilage pathogen that gets a foodhold, and all the other poo poo will make your would-be pickles slimy, moldy, or just plain stank.

The main reason why you'd want to process lacto-fermented pickles after the initial fermentation period is to stop the fermentation. Otherwise you'll wind up with cloudy pickling solution, mushy pickles, and so on. I mean if you're actually planning on storing the things without any climate control yeah process the things because better safe than sorry. But like, I dunno, sriracha or something I'd expect longterm storage at room temperature to cause the poo poo to become unpalatable long before it becomes dangerous.

When I ferment pickles I usually just throw 'em in the fridge to retard any additional fermentation and then they get eaten. For things like fermented pepper purée sauces I just top it off with a little neutral (flavoured) vinegar before blending. If you're really worried about it you can get test strips that'll indicate if you've hit a pH of 4.6 or lower, but I'm old and hard to kill so I just eyeball it.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

flesh dance posted:

Dumb question that's weirdly hard to search for-- in general should you make any modifications to oven temp or cooking time when you bake a casserole in a cast iron pan instead of a regular casserole dish?
The bottom might cook too fast or too much, in which case you might want to reduce the heat a bit.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

SubG posted:

Almost literally the only way you can get botulism from fermented pickles is if they're not actually fermented---fermentation bacteria will outcompete C. botulinum unless your climate is completely whack. And if they don't, then C. botulinum won't be the only food spoilage pathogen that gets a foodhold, and all the other poo poo will make your would-be pickles slimy, moldy, or just plain stank.

The main reason why you'd want to process lacto-fermented pickles after the initial fermentation period is to stop the fermentation. Otherwise you'll wind up with cloudy pickling solution, mushy pickles, and so on. I mean if you're actually planning on storing the things without any climate control yeah process the things because better safe than sorry. But like, I dunno, sriracha or something I'd expect longterm storage at room temperature to cause the poo poo to become unpalatable long before it becomes dangerous.

When I ferment pickles I usually just throw 'em in the fridge to retard any additional fermentation and then they get eaten. For things like fermented pepper purée sauces I just top it off with a little neutral (flavoured) vinegar before blending. If you're really worried about it you can get test strips that'll indicate if you've hit a pH of 4.6 or lower, but I'm old and hard to kill so I just eyeball it.

Yeah I'm not that paranoid about it, I just don't know much about how fermentation in food works besides "let it go a little bad, but not too much." If you have a recipe I'd love to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Hi, a question about steamed cake/sweet buns:

How come they lose sweetness when they cook? The mixture was sweet but the actual buns are really quite mild. How do I make them sweeter, is it just a simple case of adding even more sugar to the mixture?