Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Well you were too late because I just bought three Senator Windsor NOS' so I won't be buying hahahahaha who the gently caress am I kidding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Anybody who uses the Hobonichi Techo - worth a buy, or overhyped? I'm curious to hear thoughts on it since there's a lot of attractive covers out there for em.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Well you were too late because I just bought three Senator Windsor NOS' so I won't be buying hahahahaha who the gently caress am I kidding.

If you're talking 50 Canadian fun bux Twsbi Eco

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

aldantefax posted:

Anybody who uses the Hobonichi Techo - worth a buy, or overhyped? I'm curious to hear thoughts on it since there's a lot of attractive covers out there for em.

I used one in 2015, didn't get one this year, but am going back to it for next year. (I wasn't too thrilled with the feel of the silicon SSACK cover, so I got a new one, but I still like yellow.) To be honest, it's a pretty straightfoward planner, but nicely made and with lots of little thoughtful things, from the pockets and bookmarks built into the cover to how the daily pages are laid out to the lay-flat binding for the planner itself. Tomoe River isn't paper I'd use for daily writing, but it is perfect for this; thin, light, and sturdy enough to stand up to most any pen you can throw at it.

I just use it for work and appointments: a simple list of tasks for the day, a small notebook tucked into the back of the cover for extended lists and notes. It's easy to get lost looking at all the wonderful, artistic things that people do with theirs and feel disappointed about using it so plainly; I think that's why I didn't get one this year. But dammit, I miss the workflow I had with it, and I think I was better organized last year.

The JetPens price is pretty reasonable this year; I ordered mine direct, so I paid about $62, and they're asking $47 for one in a simple cover, with free shipping. The assortment of covers at the official store is really wide. Maybe someday I'll get one of the more expensive ones.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

aldantefax posted:

My GF uses the small one in English and I use the large one. It's fantastic if you need a planner. The paper has handled everything I've ever thrown at it and I've been using the same Harris Tweed cover for a few years now and it's held up perfectly.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
So the VP is a significantly smoother writing experience than my pilot metro. I really really Ike it. So what drives the difference? Is it just the nib? I mean holy poo poo am I enjoying this.

What's next?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Lowness 72 posted:

So the VP is a significantly smoother writing experience than my pilot metro. I really really Ike it. So what drives the difference? Is it just the nib? I mean holy poo poo am I enjoying this.

What's next?

You're talking a near bottom of the range steel nib vs. a solid 18k nib on a pen that sells for 10X as much. To be honest you can't really compare the pens in any meaningful way besides "well, they both write".

Also, welcome to the rabbit hole.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

grack posted:

You're talking a near bottom of the range steel nib vs. a solid 18k nib on a pen that sells for 10X as much. To be honest you can't really compare the pens in any meaningful way besides "well, they both write".

Also, welcome to the rabbit hole.

Yeah, I still love my Metros for various things (like having a plumix nib swapped in) but so far this hobby has been one upgrade after another. My daily driver has gone from a Metro to a Safari to an Al-Star and now to my VP. That doesn't even touch on the "why not add a Jinhao for a couple bucks to this order" or "hey, Levenger's having a sale!" type purchases.

Getting started with fountain pens has meant I actually look for reasons to hand write things. My wallet is now a passport-sized TN and I've started a bullet journal in a full-size TN (thus my earlier questions about the Goulet notebooks earlier). Plus I keep a Rhodia A5 notepad for quick one-off notes and so forth. And then there's the ink (my Tsukushi arrived today and it's a gorgeous brown!).

So in addition to a pen collection that's now well into the $hundreds, I'm starting to pile up a small fortune's worth of accoutrements to go along with them.

:shepspends:

Edit: on a related note, what does everyone here do with pen boxes? I'm starting to develop a reasonably large pile of them and I prefer to keep my various pens on display, even if I'm not using them.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Magnus Praeda posted:

Edit: on a related note, what does everyone here do with pen boxes? I'm starting to develop a reasonably large pile of them and I prefer to keep my various pens on display, even if I'm not using them.

I have a big cardboard moving box in the basement with a lot of pen boxes in it. Not everything -- I seem to have misplaced the box my Lamy 2000 came in, for instance -- but almost.

I still keep some boxes, like the one the Van Gogh came in, or the pawlonia box for the Nakaya, on the shelf in my closet.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I've kept most, if not all, of my pen boxes and use them to store pens I don't have inked up.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I bought two plastic semicircle pen holders off Amazon. Each holds 12 pens and it makes a circle of pens when you put them together. They were like 25 bucks for two I think?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
My girlfriend loving loves containers, so we've got a shitload of spare rubbermaid totes in the basement. I have one of the three foot deep ones filling up with all of my pen boxes.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I've only bought my Lamy Al-Stars new, and those two boxes were sturdy enough to repurpose in my letter drawer (holding stamps, post-its etc in the slots). I guess I did buy my Jinhao new, but it came in a plastic sleeve.

I don't really miss the boxes for my other pens, and it's great to not care about that when buying vintage.

effika fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 1, 2016

CrimsonSaber
Dec 27, 2005
Metaphysicist
I threw mine away. Then I bought a pen case to hold them in style!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I hang onto any boxes that are more like cases and use them to store pens but I toss any that are just cardboard boxes.

My current case is getting pretty full so I'm going to have to think about getting another one soon, but for the moment I just have a pile of pens on my desk because I still haven't cleaned them and can't put them away until I do

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I was looking at inks on Amazon and saw the Lamy 2000 on sale for $113. One one left. CamelCamelCamel says historical low.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks! Bought it even though I wasn't planning on buying another pen so soon after the vanishing point. (Thanks to the thread for that one as well)

It'll be interesting to see how they compare to each other.

In less expensive, but no less fun news, I bought the multi-color pack of the pilot petit 1 and I love all of them. Even colors like the lime green and pink are bright and bold without being obnoxious or washed out. Totally worth <$20 price

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Speaking of pink inks, back when I still used ballpoints I found I tend to write a lot more when I use pink and I was thinking of picking up some for my pilot pens. Any suggestions? I want a bright, girly, full-on Barbie pink that's saturated enough to be readable but that won't look like red when it's dry. I was eyeing Diamine Hope Pink but it looks like some people were having problems with it staining their pens? Too bad the Waterman pink is cartridge only, I really like their inks.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

melodicwaffle posted:

Speaking of pink inks, back when I still used ballpoints I found I tend to write a lot more when I use pink and I was thinking of picking up some for my pilot pens. Any suggestions? I want a bright, girly, full-on Barbie pink that's saturated enough to be readable but that won't look like red when it's dry. I was eyeing Diamine Hope Pink but it looks like some people were having problems with it staining their pens? Too bad the Waterman pink is cartridge only, I really like their inks.

A sample of one of these might be worth your time:

http://www.gouletpens.com/pilot-iroshizuku-kosumosu-50ml-bottled-fountain-pen-ink/p/PN69220

http://www.gouletpens.com/pilot-iroshizuku-tsutsuji-50ml-bottled-fountain-pen-ink/p/PN69216

http://www.gouletpens.com/ink-sample-noodlers-rachmaninoff/p/IS-N19080

http://www.gouletpens.com/IS-Plat-InkM-1200-21/p/IS-Plat-InkM-1200-21

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Rachmaninoff practically sold me on name alone, but that shade is exactly what I'm looking for. Beautiful, thanks a bunch.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I need to start carrying a cheap pen with me. I was out on a photo walk and we grabbed some drinks afterwards. I was the only one with a pen when we were exchanging info - like, clearly since it was in my shirt pocket. All I had on me was my vanishing point and I didn't want my first impression to be "this guy is so weird he doesn't let people use his pen". Luckily one person only used it but she was still writing with it upside down...no harm done though.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

rio posted:

I need to start carrying a cheap pen with me. I was out on a photo walk and we grabbed some drinks afterwards. I was the only one with a pen when we were exchanging info - like, clearly since it was in my shirt pocket. All I had on me was my vanishing point and I didn't want my first impression to be "this guy is so weird he doesn't let people use his pen". Luckily one person only used it but she was still writing with it upside down...no harm done though.

get one of these

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

rio posted:

new pens

:hf: yellow VP buddy!

rio posted:

This is why the Metropolitan was invented. It looks nice to those awful shitbird normies but is $18 so not a big loss if they jank it up. I always wanted to use my super-nice pens at work but I've had people snatch it from my apron too many times to know it's a bad idea.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

The Safari works pretty well too. If they break the nib, replace it.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Anyone have any thoughts on the Falcon being a flex pen? I am enjoying it a lot but I am not getting a ton of mileage out of it as a real flex pen. I expected that since I have read many things about it being a soft nib and not really a flex pen, but I have also seen examples of it flexing a lot more than I am able to get from it. I am working through the Diamine Silver Fox that is loaded in it right now but I am wondering if another ink might do better for me. I can use my Desiderata for my real flex needs but that pen is not as friendly for general writing either so I am just wondering if anyone here who uses a Falcon is getting better results and if so how. I was hoping to get at least an eighth of an inch or so from it but I think I might just be asking too much.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
There are a couple of really popular youtube videos out there of a Falcon that's had its nib ground to add in way more flex. It seems to give a lot of people the wrong impression about the pen, but it's something you could have done to yours if you want to.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

rio posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on the Falcon being a flex pen?

cobalt impurity posted:

There are a couple of really popular youtube videos out there of a Falcon that's had its nib ground to add in way more flex. It seems to give a lot of people the wrong impression about the pen, but it's something you could have done to yours if you want to.

You're referring to John Mottishaw's Spencerian ground modification for the Falcon nib - this is probably the most famous of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRebkWHsHC0

In general, if you want to get some supreme flex then go vintage or consider getting that nib reground by a nibmeister for more flexibility. You'll have to email about getting the nib reground and you'll need to send the pen in, I believe, so they can do it, but it's available should you wish to pursue it.

By way of example, I use a Falcon nib in my Custom 912 and it serves me quite adequately for flex purposes in daily writing. If I want to go really nuts with flex I have an early Waterman 1903 with an Ideal #2 nib. The price of acquisition was roughly the same as the 912 from a private seller.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
e: awful app being weird...?

Had a horrific accident with my Lamy 2K - it's nib has been thoroughly bent out of shape and the brass clip inside the cap is a bit twisted, but the rest of the pen seems fine!

Nofeed fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 3, 2016

grack
Jan 10, 2012

rio posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on the Falcon being a flex pen? I am enjoying it a lot but I am not getting a ton of mileage out of it as a real flex pen. I expected that since I have read many things about it being a soft nib and not really a flex pen, but I have also seen examples of it flexing a lot more than I am able to get from it. I am working through the Diamine Silver Fox that is loaded in it right now but I am wondering if another ink might do better for me. I can use my Desiderata for my real flex needs but that pen is not as friendly for general writing either so I am just wondering if anyone here who uses a Falcon is getting better results and if so how. I was hoping to get at least an eighth of an inch or so from it but I think I might just be asking too much.

The Falcon is not a flex nib and really shouldn't be treated as such. It's meant to be used with kanji, not italic or calligraphy scripts.

Also the nib in the Falcon and the FA nib available for the 912 and 742 are completely different.

grack fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 3, 2016

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

grack posted:

Also the nib in the Falcon and the FA nib available for the 912 and 742 are completely different.

Did not know this!

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Nofeed posted:

Had a horrific accident with my Lamy 2K - it's nib has been thoroughly bent out of shape and the brass clip inside the cap is a bit twisted, but the rest of the pen seems fine!

:ohdear:

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Nofeed posted:

How did that happen? Condolences.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Decided to try out the "flex" thing I have heard about. Just got in a new Ahab flex; disassembled and rinsed it out as well as I could. Any tips on how to turn it into, well, a pen? I am about to give up on the idea. Flow is irregular and flexing doesn't seem to have much of an effect. And it writes poor and scratchy when trying to just write normally.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

rio posted:

I use my Safari for that at work. While I try and remember to carry a ballpoint around for mundanes to sign paperwork with, I usually forget. They usually get handed my old, beaten-up blue Safari that still writes like a charm. I've seen .....terrible things happen to that poor pen. My other pens? No way in hell does anyone else get their hands on them. Somebody once snatched one off the desk to sign something before I could stop them, and I snatched it back so quicly it almost left friction burns.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Pioneer42 posted:

Decided to try out the "flex" thing I have heard about. Just got in a new Ahab flex; disassembled and rinsed it out as well as I could. Any tips on how to turn it into, well, a pen? I am about to give up on the idea. Flow is irregular and flexing doesn't seem to have much of an effect. And it writes poor and scratchy when trying to just write normally.

The rinse probably needed some detergent too, and you can experiment with the gap between the tip of the nib and the end of the feed.

It really doesn't flex that much. If you really give it a push, it will separate a little bit for you, but that amount of push you need is overwhelming for casual writing.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

rio posted:

How did that happen? Condolences.

The washing machine. Double check your pockets before you do your laundry, folks!

It's also really clean.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Pioneer42 posted:

8–10 fins visible on the feed, make sure the nib's in its little cut-out slot. Some people like to toss out the little breather tube, but I haven't — doesn't seem to make terribly much of a difference, really.

Probably the nib being in the slot is the no.1 point, followed by "make sure the feed's centered on it. Well, that and "accept that your hand's gonna be inky as hell while you keep trying to re-set them to be perfectly aligned.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

The rinse probably needed some detergent too, and you can experiment with the gap between the tip of the nib and the end of the feed.

It really doesn't flex that much. If you really give it a push, it will separate a little bit for you, but that amount of push you need is overwhelming for casual writing.

Speaking of which, it was you who said it was like stabbing the paper, right? If you're "stabbing," you're applying force in the wrong direction. Mind, it still takes a lot more force than you'd normally use on a fountain pen to get it to flex, (of course, it's a modern steel nib) but "stabbing" is certainly not how I'd describe it.

Hell, if I'm fiddling around with flexing an Ahab, I'm more likely to run into railroading (and mild annoyance at pressing hard enough to cause an impression on the paper).

If I remember right, more fins (and thus less space from tip of the feed to tip of the nib) means a wetter writer, but also less flexibility.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Nofeed posted:

The washing machine. Double check your pockets before you do your laundry, folks!

It's also really clean.

Oof. I did that with my TN/wallet a while ago when my wife decided to grab the pair of pants hanging on the back of my chair while getting a load of laundry together. Got to test out the waterproof-ness of the inks I'd used, though!

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Pioneer42 posted:

You're not going to get much of, and not a good, flex experience from the Ahab. I cut the feed and nodded the nib and did everything I could but it was still poo poo. Since I did fix the flow issues though I just put the included non-flex nib on it and now it is a decent writer but in retrospect it was not worth the effort. At least it doesn't smell anymore.

Check out the Desiderata Daedalus if you are willing to drop more money into it. It is a great flex pen and the best you will get at that price, other than just using a dip pen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Zenostein posted:

Speaking of which, it was you who said it was like stabbing the paper, right? If you're "stabbing," you're applying force in the wrong direction. Mind, it still takes a lot more force than you'd normally use on a fountain pen to get it to flex, (of course, it's a modern steel nib) but "stabbing" is certainly not how I'd describe it.
Yes, it's not quite stabbing. It's just a lot of force overall to get a novel amount of flex.