Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

:aaaaa: You weren't kidding holy hell that's awesome. Best dealer, no wonder they are #1. How did that come about?!

Beautiful bike. Makes my heart go pitter pat. Please post more pictures and maybe video of you popping sweet wheelies.

No dank whoolie videos yet, but here is another photo I took after I put a fender eliminator on it yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I cannot get over how good that looks. I mean, it's a ducati monster supermoto, which I think is a very good thing. Love that engine. Are you at least popping dank whoolies, even if you aren't recording them?

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
I still really regret not at least twisting a dealer's arm into letting me test ride one of those. That's gorgeous.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Coydog posted:

I cannot get over how good that looks. I mean, it's a ducati monster supermoto, which I think is a very good thing. Love that engine. Are you at least popping dank whoolies, even if you aren't recording them?

I'm not sure how he couldn't wheelie it, italian v twins just beg for it with that power delivery

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
I need advice about whether or not I should do a thing, this just went up in my area

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/5805881518.html

Would be upgrading from a 2004 SV650 I've been on for the past year or so. Been toying at the idea but this is really tempting me.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
That's a reaaaaally big step up from an SV650, but if you've done a shitload of miles in that year and you're not ham-handed on the throttle you might not kill yourself

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 3, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Is the SV your first bike?

Absolutely do not upgrade from an SV to a Street Triple R after one year of riding.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
it's not even the street triple, it's the speed, which I didn't catch at first

editing my earlier post - if you've been riding for one year I would not jump to that bike

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Counterpoint. If you have an SV as your first bike and made it a year without overshooting a corner or launching into a target fixation, you have a reasonable amount of self control and can possibly handle a faster bike.

Counter counterpoint - What mods do you have on your SV? I feel like you could give it a new lease on life with some upgrades and save money while sticking with a safer bike to learn on.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
If that bike is a good idea or not entirely depends on your self control and judgement as a rider. The ABS is a good thing, but no TC so you'll need to be careful with the throttle. It'll slow your riding progression down a bit, but it's not a terrible second bike if you've got some self control.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Do it you pussy. I went from a SV to an FZ-09. I'm not dead yet.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Pikey posted:

I need advice about whether or not I should do a thing, this just went up in my area

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/5805881518.html

Would be upgrading from a 2004 SV650 I've been on for the past year or so. Been toying at the idea but this is really tempting me.

if you can ride the sv well through twisties and basic low speed stuff just do itttttt

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I went from an SV to a Daytona 675, then promptly crashed it (because some fuckwit decided a u-turn was more important than oncoming traffic), but then owned another one for about a year and I didn't die. Just buy one of those self control keychains that are in the other thread, you'll be fine.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Just consider whether "I survived" is really the highest goal you should be striving for on your motorcycle, or if there are levels beyond that that you might be missing out on.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Just consider whether "I survived" is really the highest goal you should be striving for on your motorcycle, or if there are levels beyond that that you might be missing out on.

This, and after owning fast bikes I've come to the conclusion that it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast, not a fast bike slow. Also living in LA makes for no need whatsoever for a fast bike, the twisties are just as fun on a supermoto.

Poppy Nogood
May 26, 2014
Someone in the "Tell Me What Bike To Buy" thread suggested the Honda Rebel. I like the look, which is so far the only way I know how to judge a bike. This would be my first motorcycle, if you couldn't tell.

This a good deal? http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/5811683373.html

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Sagebrush posted:

He can always just get a slower bike once he realizes the big one has hampered his progression. It's the next bike, not the last one.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

modestmusashi posted:

Someone in the "Tell Me What Bike To Buy" thread suggested the Honda Rebel. I like the look, which is so far the only way I know how to judge a bike. This would be my first motorcycle, if you couldn't tell.

This a good deal? http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/5811683373.html

Rebels are awful, don't get one. Especially if you live in texas. 16hp, a 2.6 gallon tank, only 5 gears, 0-60 in 11 seconds is worse than my civic :laffo: and I think its top speed is like 75mph.

Poppy Nogood
May 26, 2014
but...but what if I don't wanna go fast and just want a city bike.

I drive a loving civic and WAS hoping for a tad bit more giddyup

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Slim Pickens posted:

:swoon:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/mcy/5754797110.html

A KX500 engine in a KTM frame. I'm at full mast.

From a few pages back, but hell yes. The cure for gay has been discovered! It kind of reminds me of the ATK Intimidators, what a beast.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

modestmusashi posted:

grom?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

modestmusashi posted:

Rebels are still awful. Dual sports make awesome city bikes.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

modestmusashi posted:

There are better choices around the same price. The Vstar 250, Vstar 650, Shadow 600, or Vulcan 500 are all better. 23, 40, 39, 46 horsepower respectively. If you are dead set on a 250 the Vstar (formerly Virago) is much better than the Rebel. You might also find something called a "Route 66". This is the same thing as the Virago/Vstar 250.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

modestmusashi posted:

KTM Duke 390 - thumper motor that's got a little bit of go and you can get it to run at 70 - 80 MPH if you push it, but it's drat happy between 30 - 50 MPH. If you ride it the way it wants and aren't afraid to wring its neck a little, it's an awesome around town bike.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

R-Type posted:

The cure for gay has been discovered!
What

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

I think he decided he wants to be a cager again. Just ignore him and focus on the 400 pounds of vibrating metal and leather between your legs. He's going to roll up his window and we can ditch him at the next light.:roboluv:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Anyone want a new old stock EBR 1190SX with a bunch of upgrade parts for 50% off MSRP?

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/5815188146.html

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
MSRP is $13000 on those, where'd they get 50% or $9000?

Also, they aren't honoring the warranty on the '14s

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
original MRSP on the '14s was 16995, plus the race ECU and whatever BS (that's my math, not the math in the ad)

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
No room for another project bike, but drat.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/mcy/5824879499.html

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 12, 2016

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That there is a vile temptress, luring wayward buyers onto the rocks of a never ending project with it's siren song.

Being a two stroke, I bet it's not even hard to get running properly...

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Coydog posted:

That there is a vile temptress, luring wayward buyers onto the rocks of a never ending project with it's siren song.

Being a two stroke, I bet it's not even hard to get running properly...

I've fallen into the vintage 2-stroke trap before, but not with a title, fully assembled, and $150 though. I might have to run this by the fiancee...

Edit: Nah, I can't justify it. I don't need or want a street 2-stroke unless it's a plated CR500. Someone should definitely jump on it, though.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 12, 2016

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcd/5781779358.html

Empulse R with a salvage title for $7K. Someone nearby should go check it out

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
" It had a small white paint rub mark on the frame on the left side which totaled it."

Buuuulllllllshit. There's gotta be something way worse with this bike than 'a tiny paint rub'. They must of trashed it pretty good, which required the 'totally only for cosmetic reasons really' replacement of the handlebars, headlight and other stuff they're not mentioning. At least electric bikes don't have to worry about oil starvation in a crash.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Slim Pickens posted:

I've fallen into the vintage 2-stroke trap before, but not with a title, fully assembled, and $150 though. I might have to run this by the fiancee...

Edit: Nah, I can't justify it. I don't need or want a street 2-stroke unless it's a plated CR500. Someone should definitely jump on it, though.

But Suzuki made the best a/c 2t.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Slim Pickens posted:

" It had a small white paint rub mark on the frame on the left side which totaled it."

Buuuulllllllshit. There's gotta be something way worse with this bike than 'a tiny paint rub'. They must of trashed it pretty good, which required the 'totally only for cosmetic reasons really' replacement of the handlebars, headlight and other stuff they're not mentioning. At least electric bikes don't have to worry about oil starvation in a crash.

The best is right after saying the white pain mark totaled the bike, they say it will just rub off with some compound.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Any damage, including paint, to a frame on a motorcycle will most likely total it because they have to estimate the cost of a new frame and the labor to swap everything. This is forreals. Insurance companies don't want to gently caress with that.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They'll paint body panels but not frames? Strange.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Bobby couldn't make it...
'till he went fun-truckin'!

clutchpuck posted:

Rebels are still awful. Dual sports make awesome city bikes.

Rebels are awful. Of course, up until last week I was riding one. I took the MSF on a rebel. After the class was done I hit craigslist looking for a good used beginner bike. I was ready to grab an S40 when a Rebel came up for a good price, and so I bought it. Its didn't feel very awful at the time, as it was the only thing I had ever been on. It was nice to have a forgiving bike for the first week or two when I was still getting used to the transmission. I am on my toes on most of the 250 and 300 sport bikes, and I decided that I wanted to be flat feet for my very first bike. I wanted to ride it for 1500 or so miles and then look for something else, but I hit 1750 miles after only having it for 3 months.

So this past weekend I got rid of the Rebel for a used Yamaha Bolt R. It certainly drives home the point that the Rebel is indeed an awful bike. I probably could have started on the Bolt. The first two weeks would have been a little scary and ugly, but after that I would have been fine. As it turns out, the Bolt is an awesome city bike. I have been commuting with it into the downtown of a major city all week. I don't regret having a rebel for those first few months, and for what it cost me, it was definitely worth it, but as a new rider having been on a Rebel and a heavier bike on the types of roads you will encounter in Texas, the Rebel is awful enough that you should avoid it.

Also, about 2 weeks after I bought my Rebel, someone posted an S40 for like $200 more. I should have waited.

uncle spero fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slim Pickens posted:

They'll paint body panels but not frames? Strange.

They don't generally paint anything on bikes - you just get replacement panels in the OEM colors. Motorcycle repair is generally pretty find and replace.