Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I tried to read the New Testament once. I finished the first book, started on the second, then realized I'll have to read basically the same story three more times. Kinda lost interest after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I tried to read the New Testament once. I finished the first book, started on the second, then realized I'll have to read basically the same story three more times. Kinda lost interest after that.

Come on Zanzibar Ham, that could be fun, you like Rashamon.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

My Lovely Horse posted:

It's the equivalent of a conspiracy theorist's “just google it“. They think it's a simple way to a profound realization, without realizing it's profound mostly for themselves and the profoundness isn't necessarily in the source they're consulting to begin with.

Okay Richard Dawkins

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

"Couldn't keep up"? It's not like there are new episodes.

I've never understood just reading the Bible anyways. I can understand getting something out of a good sermon or a discussion on passages and stuff, but just sitting around reading through it I don't get. I guess some people do it but there's a whole lot of nothing happening in there between the "good stuff," from what I can tell.

It's fine to do if you're already a believer and already have at least a basic understanding of what your belief entails. Then reading the Bible can give you some new perspectives and insights. There's lots of stuff people think is in the Bible that isn't, and lots of stuff that's in there that people miss. If you're a Christian, then reading it for yourself is a good thing to do.

I'm not convinced that just handing a Bible to a drug addict with a few highlighted passages and saying, "Have at it! I'm gonna go talk to the old lady down the hall! Let me know when you find the Lord!" will be as effective as one would hope, though. Even if, just for the sake of argument, we accept that it's true that there are Bible verses that can help you kick a drug habit, it's still the kind of thing where the person sharing the Bible should hang around and offer some guidance. There's a lot in that book that can be interpreted multiple ways.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Newspaper Spider-Man: worst Spidey, or the best?

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Prince Valiant

Phantom Classic

Old Phantom! Those things are endangered! t:mad:

Big Ben Bolt

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Julet Esqu posted:

Phantom Classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRwiHfcdgzI

Or seven, really.

Cartoon Cavalcade

The Katzenjammer Kids by Rudolph Dirks

Carl Schultze's Foxy Grandpa! And a couple others from EW Kemble, who illustrated Huckleberry Finn (here's a Comics Kingdom thing about him), and Walt Kuhn again.

James Montgomery Flagg, who is famous for that Uncle Sam recruitment poster.

Samuel Ehrhart, AD Blashfield, and Opper.

Another Foxy Grandpa and Rose O'Neill.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet
Luann

quote:

IamJayBluE said, about 20 hours ago
“The names were changed, to protect the record…”

“…and so was the needle in the tonearm…”
( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR-haaB0UhY )
-
Would be a “hoot and a half”, if it was the “long haired Bernice” (maybe resembling the person in the link, above)…and if it were only “5 years ago”, somewhere in the recesses of her HS days…

….or was it in the rolic and romp in the “recesses of their Kindergarten?”

Any way you slice it, the question is: "Which is more embarrassing: 1) Someone coming along and bringing up a time you’d just as soon forget… or 2) Someone coming along, bringing up the possibility that they possess a name that you just as soon forgot ?

quote:

IamJayBluE said, about 20 hours ago
“I Love Elusive”
“You’ve Got Some Splainin’ To Do”
“A Long Walk, Off A Short Term”
“Evasion Of The Head Scratchers”
“Safely Past The Bluffs”
“Feint, Out Of Fear”
“Holiday At The Memory Bank”
“A Blank Check And A Rubber Stamp”
“Ol’ Whuzzer Face”
“Foggy Went A Food Courtin’ " (♫)
“Incognito, We Trust”
“Stick To The Non-descript”
“Anonymously Yours”
“A Recall On Recalls”
“Elusive, But Not So Lucid”
“My Secret Identity”
“Reach Out….Reach Out, And Forget Someone” (♪)
or
“Nom de Plumb Forgot”

quote:

Mordock999 GoComics PRO Member said, about 19 hours ago
Oh LOOK, Bernice! There’s Piro!!!!
(She LOOKED!!! Guffaw!!!!)

fort knox

Flying Mccoys

Dustin

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (August 1-3, 1929)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Johnny Walker posted:

I've never understood just reading the Bible anyways. I can understand getting something out of a good sermon or a discussion on passages and stuff, but just sitting around reading through it I don't get. I guess some people do it but there's a whole lot of nothing happening in there between the "good stuff," from what I can tell.
If you're interested but can't be bothered reading it yourself, Sunday School Dropouts is a good podcast to listen to. They're reading through the whole thing and doing an episode on each book.

Julet Esqu posted:

Newspaper Spider-Man: worst Spidey, or the best?
Best, obviously.

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth
When I read this on Comics Kingdom there were two comments, and I just knew without looking that at least one of them would be someone mentioning that they still use a mousepad. And I was right.

seismic-2 posted:

Quite a few people must still be buying them, based on how many places sell them when you do an Internet search. (They do need replacing from time to time, after you've spilled enough coffee on them.)
Now there's also a bunch of people mentioning that they use trackballs instead of mouses.

Al Franken posted:

I use a trackball, I never got the thing of swinging your arm around like your playing with a OuiJa board.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The actually good stuff in the Bible is all the bits in between the stuff that's used for sermons because for some reason nobody delivers sermons about how women shouldn't sleep with foreigners even if they have semen-spewing donkey-sized dicks.

Also trackballs are supposed to be really good for avoiding strain injury, but they are awkward as hell to start using.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 37 minutes!
It's All Right Chief Dharma

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm not sure I get why being upset at the violent disrespect of familial artifacts for no reason is all that unreasonable.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom Meets the Enemy and It Is Us

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

This feels like sarcasm before the plugger breaks into the machine.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Barney Google and Snuffy Smith

The Born Loser

Dustin

Is that the woman who works at the employment agency? Are they friends now? Where is this taking place?

Fred Basset

Frog Applause

Ginger Meggs

Heart of the City

Hi and Lois

Does he know Dagwood and Blondie as fictional characters or as friends?

Office Hours

Reply All

Ziggy

Zits

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Happy birthday to me, Rob Liefeld, Greg Proops, Gwen Stefani, and all other October 3 goons.

Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Edge of Chad

If this is supposed to be the 1930s, wouldn't he be calling it French Equatorial Africa, not Chad?

Also, as folks on Gocomics have pointed out, his finger is more around Mali, Algeria, or Mauritania. But hey, all African countries are basically the same, I'm sure.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (August 5, 1929)

Peanuts (October 6, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (November 29-30, 1929)

Thimble Theater

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Doesn't it require a lot of expertise and special tools to tune a piano?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Tiggum posted:

Dustin

Is that the woman who works at the employment agency? Are they friends now? Where is this taking place?

I told you, it's Dustin's dad in drag and blackface. It's good that Ed is finally going to seek understanding companion, maybe it'll help him to act more relaxedly toward his son.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Jesus, lady. They're acting. It's fake. Get over it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

WickedHate posted:

I'm not sure I get why being upset at the violent disrespect of familial artifacts for no reason is all that unreasonable.

Because in Brooke's world, music = sex. In fact, if I remember correctly these two are getting married solely because they played music together.

Well, also because they want to gently caress but doing that out of wedlock would be unseemly or something.

e: I misread your post; you're right that the mother has the right to be mad, but even moreso because of the music = sex angle. Basically whats-her-face there swept all the family photos to the floor so they could pseudo-gently caress on the piano.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Asaekkiga

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Strontium posted:

Happy birthday to me, Rob Liefeld, Greg Proops, Gwen Stefani, and all other October 3 goons.
Happy birthday! And nice try, but I'm not giving up on my "Strontium is Gwen Stefani" theory quite yet. The evidence I've gathered is too compelling to simply dismiss out of hand.

F Minus

Mary Worth

"Ma, I'm trying to take it but you have to let go of the book."

Rex Morgan MD

"What are all these whips for?"

Secret Agent X-9

"Like, next to the guns?"

Apartment 3-G

With Rumer Willis as Mary.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (September 10, 1951)

Nancy (October 25, 1943)

Gasoline Alley (July 23, 1923)

Barney Google (July 24, 1922)

Alley Oop (October 23, 1933)

Lil' Abner (March 22, 1937)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Are there a lot of instances of actors and actresses' spouses being jealous over them smooching other people for the camera or is it something that only out of touch melodramatic idiot spazzes think

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'd hope not.

Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

fondue posted:

Doesn't it require a lot of expertise and special tools to tune a piano?

Short answer: yes, on both counts.

Long answer: I worked for 10 years in a performance theatre that had a 9 foot concert Steinway. Every year, before our fall concert season started, our tuner would come in, with his dufflebag of specialized tools, and spend the better part of a day pulling her apart and tuning her just because she had sat unused for 3 months. Then before every concert, he would come in and spend about an hour or so making sure she was ship-shape, even if he had just tuned her the week before. If that piano's been sitting around uncovered and in dubious climate control for years, no amateur asshat with no tools is gonna be able to tune it worth a drat.

Calaveron posted:

Are there a lot of instances of actors and actresses' spouses being jealous over them smooching other people for the camera or is it something that only out of touch melodramatic idiot spazzes think

What's getting me about this arc is this stark contrast:

Les's Wife: "My husband does nothing but obsess about his former wife. Wrote a book about her. Tried to get a movie made about her life. Wears T-shirts with her face on it when he goes out jogging. Even talked about her while proposing to me. Oh well [shrug]."

This woman: "My bf is a professional actor and occasionally interacts with attractive women as part of his job I'M CONSUMED WITH JEALOUS RAGE"

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Shredded Hen

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

JacquelineDempsey posted:

What's getting me about this arc is this stark contrast:

Les's Wife: "My husband does nothing but obsess about his former wife. Wrote a book about her. Tried to get a movie made about her life. Wears T-shirts with her face on it when he goes out jogging. Even talked about her while proposing to me. Oh well [shrug]."

This woman: "My bf is a professional actor and occasionally interacts with attractive women as part of his job I'M CONSUMED WITH JEALOUS RAGE"

I'm not sure if we are supposed to sympathize with the jealous girlfriend, her actor boyfriend, both, or neither (personally I sympathize with that actress cause the girlfriend is prolly going to do something, and it can't be nice to have her standing there giving you the stink eye when you're just doing your job). Obviously she's being quite irrational here, but it's being presented from her perspective so I can't sort out if we are supposed to be on her side or not. Same deal with Luann; she's being all kinds of selfish and terrible in this bridesmaid dress arc, but we've gotten no indication from the Evanses that her behavior is anything other than a fun goof on Gunther.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

treasureplane posted:

Ran out of Wash Tubbs, but I'll try to scan some more up over the weekend.

Thank you. I enjoyed what I read of Wash Tubbs, and I like how it's more cartoonish than some other old serial-adventure comics.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

THEN murder them, right Gavin?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set is more urban than rural.

Working Daze realizes it's made a mistake.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix incepts.

painynumbs
Apr 1, 2011
When a couple with a newborn baby walks out of the hospital and the father is saying "I can't believe they're letting us take this baby home; I haven't read a goddamn thing about taking care of a baby," please somebody call social services.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Shredded Hen
Gil

Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

I think that I've stared at the last two panels for too long and I am now convinced that Edda managed to grow an extra pair of gams.

Wahoo Terminal Pibgorn

Well, that was unexpected. Here I thought that Brooke was tired of doing Pibgorn, but this was posted today without any notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Pogo (October 6, 1958)

Peanuts: Year Five (April 22, 1955)

• Locked thread