Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
What's the nerf rate like? Should I be working German BBs instead of the US ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
All that whining and I end up burning from tier 19 to tier 15 without ever losing a star after that post. All wins or top damage losses. The Bayern is really good. Pity I only have a Gneisenau for another week or so.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

rex rabidorum vires posted:

What's the nerf rate like? Should I be working German BBs instead of the US ones?

Wargaming seems to run about 12 months behind reality when it comes to balance changes and the metagame.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Xae posted:

Wargaming seems to run about 12 months behind reality when it comes to balance changes and the metagame.

Excellent. Also tier 5 is sapping my will to play this game. Like the Nicholas is awesome in a ton of ways, but constantly seeing tier 7s which stomp your face if you look at them wrong and constantly having to rely on pubs to win is getting tiring.

Edit: 100k in spotting. Zero dealt. Awesome. Got a compliment though so that's cool I guess.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 2, 2016

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Just FYI - US BBs are still really good. The Montana I think still leaves a lot to be desired being worse at brawling than the Kurfurst and worse at sniping than the Yamato, but every other ship in the tree is real good (tm).

So play them both like me. I have a North Carolina that I'm starting to enjoy more now that it's fully upgraded and a Bayern that I'm like 10k XP from turning into a Gneisenau.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Ice Fist posted:

Just FYI - US BBs are still really good. The Montana I think still leaves a lot to be desired being worse at brawling than the Kurfurst and worse at sniping than the Yamato, but every other ship in the tree is real good (tm).

So play them both like me. I have a North Carolina that I'm starting to enjoy more now that it's fully upgraded and a Bayern that I'm like 10k XP from turning into a Gneisenau.

50k damage a game so far. Seems like my team loves to melt around me. I'm guessing that's pretty much how this is going to go.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Ice Fist posted:

If you can't beat 'em join 'em.

I ploughed through T6 ranked. Only lost 2 games.

Also I agree that BBs are really proliferated right now, but honestly I attribute a lot of my success to some good DD play. I had some real good DD drivers provide cover and heavily influence matches. Cruisers though? I don't recall being impressed by any cruisers I saw.

Are they pretty much just a joke ship? I have found some success recently with the Karlushe but it basically amounts to hiding behind BBs, spitting out a constant barrage of HE at max range and discouraging DDs from trying to do torpedo runs. It can be terribly dull though and if your friendly BBs don't stick together, all your patience just results in you getting sunk with little accomplished.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

well i managed to get from unranked to rank 15 in 21 games

anshan is pretty ok, dunkerque is also good

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
That loss streak was horrible - also when I get frustrated I start playing worse and sink to pubbie level. But then I solved the riddle of German steel......the coolest game was when a random pubbie in a Bismarck teamed up with me and we worked almost synchronous. Bismarcks supporting each other is a thing of beauty.

Rank 10 and enough for tonight.

http://i65.tinypic.com/20fysuv.jpg

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 3, 2016

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I think I prefer the New Mexico to the Bayern. Or, at least, I perform better in it...even while brawling.

The Bayern is still pretty great.

EDIT: Apparently I am very wrong about performing better in the New Mex. 44% win rate vs. 60% win rate, Bayern also has higher average damage and average XP.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 3, 2016

Iveliosiudicium
Aug 21, 2003
Why are you looking at me like that?
This weekend has been absolutely abysmal, so many poo poo teams I'm losing the will to keep playing this unbalanced garbage. Anything tier 8 and up it seems to be just bbs vs dds. No cruisers what so ever. And limiting ranked to tier 6 is a joke. Aside from the fuso and new mex, I hated everything else in that bracket, can't use the dunkerque in ranked, its not maneuverable enough and doesn't have a fast enough fire rate to be anything more than a floating free-bee

Kilravock
Jan 27, 2006

We are the hollow men
I decided to take out the CA's that I have on random battles this weekend instead of letting them sit. Wow I actually did OK with them. Not great damage or XP wise but I survived in most of those games, won all but one, and had a great game in the Aoba killing 3 BB's plus ranked 1st which was a first for me in that ship. The ones I died in I lasted until near the end of battle too.

Maybe it's because most of the good BB players are off playing Ranked battles. I should of been killed earlier in some of the fights and I basically ran circles around the BB's using islands in that Aoba game. I know it's not me because I have not played these ships much in the last month. Too small of sample size with only 7 cruiser games over 2 days to say for sure.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Normally I'd say the +15% turn rate/-5% ROF mod is useless, but the Mogami got hammered with that stupid turn rate nerf to the extent it has basically worse-than-battleship turn rates. Anyone run it on their Mogamis or did everyone bail on the ship post-nerf? Kind of wondering how the 3x155s will work in ranked.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Hazdoc posted:

FUCKIN T6 RANKED
I DONT LIKE T6 AND I DONT WANT TO BUY THE MUTSUKI but oh well I guess I should because the Fubuki will be moved there BUT SERIOUSLY gently caress T6

BBs are cancer, german BBs are late stage cancer, its all becoming clear now

Honestly if I could just stay in T6 Ranked I'd be a happy man. The T8 meta is awful, at least in T6 you still see cruisers every now and then and the BB's accuracy is so lovely they move close to actually land shots. T8 is just jackasses sitting at 15k+ launching torps and angled AP from BBs, it's boring and stupid.

Devorum posted:

I think I prefer the New Mexico to the Bayern. Or, at least, I perform better in it...even while brawling.

The Bayern is still pretty great.

EDIT: Apparently I am very wrong about performing better in the New Mex. 44% win rate vs. 60% win rate, Bayern also has higher average damage and average XP.

I love the NM but the Bayern is just broken good. It bounces shots like the NM, turns better than the other BB's, shoots faster and I'm pretty sure the guns pen more too. It's just flat out better. It and the Kongo are tied as my best ships with a 65% w/r

The Gneisenau on the other hand...

JacksLibido fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 3, 2016

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Incidentally, has anyone been having issues with torpedoes since 5.12 dropped? I've had 3 matches now, and I just rewatched the last one to be sure, where I've launched torpedoes, heard them launch, then get destroyed a second later and have those torpedoes just vanish. On the rewatch I definitely noticed the white water that signals torpedoes in the water, though they hadn't gotten arrows above them yet, only to have it vanish.

I'd say it was a desync issue, but I've never noticed this before in all my time playing since the OBT, and have distinctly noticed this thrice now since 5.12 dropped. Because it's really loving annoying and possibly yet another stealth DD nerf.

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006

Lord Koth posted:

Incidentally, has anyone been having issues with torpedoes since 5.12 dropped? I've had 3 matches now, and I just rewatched the last one to be sure, where I've launched torpedoes, heard them launch, then get destroyed a second later and have those torpedoes just vanish. On the rewatch I definitely noticed the white water that signals torpedoes in the water, though they hadn't gotten arrows above them yet, only to have it vanish.

I'd say it was a desync issue, but I've never noticed this before in all my time playing since the OBT, and have distinctly noticed this thrice now since 5.12 dropped. Because it's really loving annoying and possibly yet another stealth DD nerf.

This has happened for a few months. It's usually if you click a split second before you die. It applies to both torpedoes and regular guns.

I've never seen a > .5 second (perceived) desync though. I think it's mostly a torpedo thing since I'm fairly certain they don't actually spawn until after the entire "fire, launch off boat, hit water, make splash" animation?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Maybe I just wasn't playing destroyers enough recently, I dunno.

Kagero basically got perma-retired a few months back after just too much frustration, so had mainly not been playing destroyers aside from slowly poking away at the US and Russian lines, where it wasn't as important. Recently been playing Minekaze and Isokaze again though, so if they changed something a few months back I suppose I just hadn't noticed till now due to that.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Iveliosiudicium posted:

This weekend has been absolutely abysmal, so many poo poo teams I'm losing the will to keep playing this unbalanced garbage. Anything tier 8 and up it seems to be just bbs vs dds. No cruisers what so ever. And limiting ranked to tier 6 is a joke. Aside from the fuso and new mex, I hated everything else in that bracket, can't use the dunkerque in ranked, its not maneuverable enough and doesn't have a fast enough fire rate to be anything more than a floating free-bee

I think you guys are crazy. I'm 8 for 8 in my Dunkerque in ranked matches. In any other ship it's like a crapshoot.

I don't know, maybe I'm insanely good in that ship, but given my overall suck at boats, I doubt it.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

ToiletDuckie posted:

This has happened for a few months. It's usually if you click a split second before you die. It applies to both torpedoes and regular guns.

I've never seen a > .5 second (perceived) desync though. I think it's mostly a torpedo thing since I'm fairly certain they don't actually spawn until after the entire "fire, launch off boat, hit water, make splash" animation?

Yes, torpedoes do not register until the animation finishes for each individual torpedo. You can be destroyed and have a partial launch of 2/5 on a five tube launcher for example.

Lord Koth posted:

Maybe I just wasn't playing destroyers enough recently, I dunno.

Kagero basically got perma-retired a few months back after just too much frustration, so had mainly not been playing destroyers aside from slowly poking away at the US and Russian lines, where it wasn't as important. Recently been playing Minekaze and Isokaze again though, so if they changed something a few months back I suppose I just hadn't noticed till now due to that.

The Kagero is a very unfortunate ship, but maybe you'll have some hope when it gets moved to tier 8! Though the Yugumo is just a modified Kagero, so there's that.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Heartcatch posted:

Yes, torpedoes do not register until the animation finishes for each individual torpedo. You can be destroyed and have a partial launch of 2/5 on a five tube launcher for example.

The Kagero is a very unfortunate ship, but maybe you'll have some hope when it gets moved to tier 8! Though the Yugumo is just a modified Kagero, so there's that.

Only real change with the Yugumo-class was the addition of DP 127s rather than Kagero's surface-only ones. Unless WG is making other changes to its stats, I'm not exactly holding out a lot of hope for it at the moment, as the lack of effectively any AA on Kagero was more like the insult added to injury rather than one of the true problems.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So I picked it up because of a yogscast promo vid and have been playing it a bit.

It's kind of fun but I seem to have a lot of trouble getting my guns to hit things properly. Like, the actual dispersion on the rounds is really wide, and it seems like other ships are way better at getting full volleys on me than I am on them, and they do more damage too.

Is there some... trick to making volleys more accurate that I'm not getting?

Otherwise the most effective I've been is with early cruisers that pack torpedoes, the enemy don't seem to expect them.

Also i don't entirely understand how AP/HE rounds work, effectively it seems like AP works better in close firing directly while HE works better at long range but it seems very inconsistent.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 3, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Take a look at ships you fight a bunch on the tech tree, turn off all the armor except the rightmost box. That's the citadel, shoot for that with AP. Early on the closer you are the more likely AP is to work, and you want to be shooting at flat sides. You'll know when you hit them right from the massive damage and black ribbon. Don't show your flat side to the enemy. HE, you want to hit them where they aren't already burning. There's more to it that other people can add.

Kilravock
Jan 27, 2006

We are the hollow men

OwlFancier posted:

So I picked it up because of a yogscast promo vid and have been playing it a bit.

It's kind of fun but I seem to have a lot of trouble getting my guns to hit things properly. Like, the actual dispersion on the rounds is really wide, and it seems like other ships are way better at getting full volleys on me than I am on them, and they do more damage too.

Is there some... trick to making volleys more accurate that I'm not getting?

Otherwise the most effective I've been is with early cruisers that pack torpedoes, the enemy don't seem to expect them.

Also i don't entirely understand how AP/HE rounds work, effectively it seems like AP works better in close firing directly while HE works better at long range but it seems very inconsistent.

What xthetenth said helps you know were to aim with AP on most ships. AP can be used on the superstructure too if you can't pierce the armor.

Basically:
In a BB = AP - Maybe HE on DD's
In a CA = AP on on other cruisers HE on everything else
In a DD = always HE
Target is Bow on (heading to you) = HE if AP can't do damage.
Target is Broadside = AP unless you are not doing much damage.
At long range = HE unless you are in a BB
Up close = AP unless you are not doing damage

AP is very RNG and depends on armor but can do more damage. HE is more reliable but lower damage and a small chance of starting a fire. HE can take out things like guns, engines, etc.

Each ship line is a little different on what is best to use. Also some ships are more accurate or have faster shells which makes it easier to hit. Low tier ships are like shotguns. There are upgrades, flags and captain skills that help a little.

I like using the dynamic cross hairs and I think this is the most up to date video on how to use it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbBEIQVUOBk

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I guess the shotgun thing is the problem I'm having because unless there's some way to make the guns more accurate I can't reliably aim at even the midsection of any given ship, much less specifically the belt, even at near point blank range. It just sprays shells all over the drat place. HE seems more effective generally because it tends to catch the superstructure and set the fuckers on fire at least.

Like my leading isn't too bad, I've always been alright at eyeballing lead in games, it's just for any given volley half of them go over, half under, and for the longer ships, half too far forward and half too far back. Feels very random.

Though that video looks really useful still, gonna turn that on.

E: Looking at the gun dispersion the kaiser I'm struggling with seems really inaccurate. That might be my issue too...

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 3, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Are you double clicking to fire all the guns on a side as a salvo? That will help, and part of it is just that sometimes you get a bad salvo. What ships are you driving, as well? Battleships, you're kind of hoping for the one shell that goes into the middle to drill a citadel, more is gravy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

xthetenth posted:

Are you double clicking to fire all the guns on a side as a salvo? That will help, and part of it is just that sometimes you get a bad salvo. What ships are you driving, as well? Battleships, you're kind of hoping for the one shell that goes into the middle to drill a citadel, more is gravy.

Oh that's how you salvo fire, I was wondering how you do that.

I'm mostly having issue with battleships, specifically the kaiser, cruisers/destroyers are more accurate and have higher volume of fire so i find them easier to hit with.

Kilravock
Jan 27, 2006

We are the hollow men
The cross hairs are nice but not everything. It still mostly going by your gut, especially when fighting better players. The torp target lead is the same way. It's a guide but doesn't help as much if the target expects a torp attack. It's basically practice.

Around tier III/IV is when cruisers start to get more accurate. Most IJN and Russian ships are accurate. German cruisers are too, but as mentioned they are not newbie friendly.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I'm mostly having issue with battleships, specifically the kaiser, cruisers/destroyers are more accurate and have higher volume of fire so i find them easier to hit with.

How much damage are you doing with your salvoes? In battleships I expect to miss half my shells in a good salvo, what matters is the damage from the rest. Even if you surround the enemy with shells, that's a good salvo, but make sure you aren't just going a bit long or short.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

xthetenth posted:

How much damage are you doing with your salvoes? In battleships I expect to miss half my shells in a good salvo, what matters is the damage from the rest.

Highly variable, sometimes they do damage, sometimes not, somewhat correlates with hits, not always.

Again I literally don't have accurate enough guns to reliably aim at parts of ships, I struggle with even hitting whole ships given the length of battleships making shots go significantly foward and aft of the target. The forward guns hit ahead while the aft guns hit behind.

Kilravock
Jan 27, 2006

We are the hollow men
Oh you are going down the German BB line. Yeah they are the worse about dispersion. That' all RNG man, not you. Get close when you can and hope you will hit something at long range. That line is about fighting up close with their shotguns, secondaries and armor.

For BB's the IJN BB's are far better with dispersion. The Kongo is a good example of this as long as it's not at max range.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I haven't had much success brawling with BBs either given they go down hideously fast to concentrated fire, and the rest of the team is very gunshy about getting up close. Had much more luck with torpedo cruisers doing that because you can at least kill ships with those quickly.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

OwlFancier posted:

My favorite salvo fire hit the opposite shell type, but only hit the button once, so it doesn't switch but all guns go off instantaneously. Sometimes I do it and switch back instantly just to to it. Feels awesome.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MrKatharsis posted:

My favorite salvo fire hit the opposite shell type, but only hit the button once, so it doesn't switch but all guns go off instantaneously. Sometimes I do it and switch back instantly just to to it. Feels awesome.

I figured that out but I was sure people couldn't be doing that to fire salvos every time.

Kilravock
Jan 27, 2006

We are the hollow men
Well hits with no damage can be two things. 1. You are hitting a turret which does damage to the turret but not the ship's HP pool. 2. The armor is too thick for your guns/or the armor is at an angle that it can bounce shots. German BB's have the smallest guns but the best armor. So they will struggle to do damage to another German BB for example. If I was trying to shoot a German BB up close, I don't aim for the belt, instead I aim slight above the belt or at the bow so I will do damage.

If your shots are landing around your aim point then you are good, it's RNG loving you. If you are aft then the next shot you are forward, then you need more practice on learning how judge the amount of lead time. Ships going to or away at an angle are hard to guess the lead at first which takes practice. Broadside and bow on are the easiest to hit.

EDIT: Not everyone is moving at flank speed too and turning burns speed. So lead time will be off if they are using WASD a lot or backing up. Watch their smoke to judge their speed/direction.

Kilravock fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 3, 2016

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Instead of bouncing AP off of bows, a full salvo of HE into the bow can be devastating. I've had generally bad luck with 8" AP even against lower tier cruisers, but with battleships it's a calculation based on their armor. Some ships like Dunkirk seem to have lovely bow armor and take heavy damage from even 15" AP. On the other hand a Dunkirk was hitting my Bayern's bow with 14" HE for ridiculously good damage in turn.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I haven't had much success brawling with BBs either given they go down hideously fast to concentrated fire, and the rest of the team is very gunshy about getting up close. Had much more luck with torpedo cruisers doing that because you can at least kill ships with those quickly.

You're pushing too far forward. When solo queueing you need to give it a good 30 seconds or so at the start of the match to see where the rest of the battleships are going. Follow the blob and make sure you're not the closest Battleship when the fighting starts, pubbies almost always shoot at the closest thing they see first and they stick with it for most of the fight. So long as that's someone else you'll be able to push up and get in close. Get used to zooming out between shots to make sure you're not getting flanked for easy broadside shots, and more importantly, to make sure your shithead teammates aren't running away leaving you hanging.

As far as dispersion goes... that's just how it is with Battleships. Each round has the potential to do massive damage so the large dispersion is there to keep you from deleting ships with ease. Goons seem to love the early German BBs, I loving despise them. They have great armor, but their guns are anemic and really bad at actually hitting anything. For me the best battleships by tier are South Carolina/Wyoming/Kongo/Bayern (NM is a close second)/Colorado. At tier 8 the meta shifts to long range snipers with the NC and Amagi, and it's not something I enjoy or play much so I can't give a good opinion on later ships.

JacksLibido fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 3, 2016

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
So it was 300-700 losing, then 6 enemy pubbies decided to chase my Scharnhorst instead. I let them chase me for good 5 minuted along the A line while telling my team to cap. I died but still killed 3 ships, and we won :psyduck:

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

After fully researching the Minekaze I rebought the Isokaze to prep for the new IJN DD branch.

...except I forgot how much fun seal-clubbing is. T4-T5 games are a magical wonderland of straight-line sailing.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Velius posted:

Instead of bouncing AP off of bows, a full salvo of HE into the bow can be devastating. I've had generally bad luck with 8" AP even against lower tier cruisers, but with battleships it's a calculation based on their armor. Some ships like Dunkirk seem to have lovely bow armor and take heavy damage from even 15" AP. On the other hand a Dunkirk was hitting my Bayern's bow with 14" HE for ridiculously good damage in turn.

If you have AP loaded and end up facing something bow-on, aim for the superstructure. At least with low tier BB shells, you can usually get a full damage shot going down the length of the ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iveliosiudicium
Aug 21, 2003
Why are you looking at me like that?
All this talk about salvos, my division buddy and I noticed something since the last patch when it comes to accuracy. Say you aim just a little above the waterline, right for the citadel. In most cases, you'll nail that fucker. But as of late we've noticed our rounds coming up short, about 1km short despite our lead and range being correctly displayed at what we're targetting. I've been having to aim right at the side rails to get the desired hits. Anyone else notice this?