Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
When do new model year TVs get released? Or rather, when will 2016 models next drop in price? I'm pretty set on getting the 55" Samsung KS8000, but I'm not in any hurry, and my wife would be a lot happier if the price were closer to $1000 than the $1300 it's listed at everywhere right now. If I keep an eye on prices between now and, say, January, am I likely to see that drop a few hundred in price?

This thread's been a helpful resource, by the way, thanks for keeping it active!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

New TVs are usually shown off at CES in January and then trickle out for release between April and June.

Black Friday would be the next candidate for good sales, but usually upper models are excluded. Barring that, the other big drop is a few weeks before the Super Bowl.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

BobTheCow posted:

When do new model year TVs get released? Or rather, when will 2016 models next drop in price? I'm pretty set on getting the 55" Samsung KS8000, but I'm not in any hurry, and my wife would be a lot happier if the price were closer to $1000 than the $1300 it's listed at everywhere right now. If I keep an eye on prices between now and, say, January, am I likely to see that drop a few hundred in price?

This thread's been a helpful resource, by the way, thanks for keeping it active!

Why not look at the Sony 850D 55"?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
KS8000s are kind of on sale now, doubt they will get much cheaper until next spring. Since it's a sweet spot model and demand seems good I wouldn't expect anything until then. We just picked up the 65 on sale at BB for the 24 months no interest.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Alright all you LG and Vizio owners out there. Netflix finally put Dardevil Season 1 up with Dolby Vision. It looks pretty drat amazing. Here's hoping the Luke Cage release tomorrow is in Dolby Vision as well.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Was it in HDR10 previously? Because if not, it is now too. It doesn't look good at all though, so I presume HDR10 is still broken on NF (most of what I watch is plain 4K).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It wasn't in HDR at all before.

Trellix
Feb 16, 2012

Dogen posted:

KS8000s are kind of on sale now, doubt they will get much cheaper until next spring. Since it's a sweet spot model and demand seems good I wouldn't expect anything until then. We just picked up the 65 on sale at BB for the 24 months no interest.

Thanks for the heads up. I found out that I can get a 65" for $1400 though a work discount. My P60ST50 was fried by lightning this week and I'm in need of a replacement. Is a ks8000 a good replacement for my busted set our should I save up for oled?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I think the main considerations are which you like the look of better, price, and HDR format support. Also I think OLED will wear out eventually (like, after a decade)? But I might be wrong about that.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I'm having a bit of a time trying to figure out where to look for tv deals online. My parents are moving and want a 60" panel to wall-mount at the new place, and they'll need a soundbar too because it's a pretty big room and they'll never figure out how to use a proper home theater. I tried Amazon but a lot of their stuff is 3-4 year old products at insanely high prices. They're looking to spend less than a grand for an HD LED panel with smart capabilities and seamless integration with a sound bar so they won't need to use an extra remote (the soundbar doesn't factor into the TV's $1k price tag). Also they're not moving in until late Nov, so I can wait for Black Friday or Cyber Monday deals. Where should I be looking online?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Drill down what you're looking for on Amazon, if you don't want to look for a deal locally. Do you want 120hz? 4K? HDR? What's the lighting like in the room they want to put it in (is how bright it is and how it handles glare important)?

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Dogen posted:

Drill down what you're looking for on Amazon, if you don't want to look for a deal locally. Do you want 120hz? 4K? HDR? What's the lighting like in the room they want to put it in (is how bright it is and how it handles glare important)?

120hz is good but I don't think they'll care about 4K or HDR. There was a nice Samsung 60" 120hz LED on Amazon for $700 but that model for some reason lacks the soundbar compatibility so they'd need a second remote for volume, and that's unacceptable. The room's pretty bright but the screen wouldn't ever be exposed to direct sunlight so I don't think glare is that big a deal. Anything with good WIFI smart features for Netflix would be a huge plus because a Chrome or Amazon Fire dongle would be one more complication for them (they're olds).

The only other thing that bothers them is poor motion-smoothing. They have a 4 or 5 year old Vizio 42" and it made everything look like a soap opera; I disabled the feature for them and everything looked much better without the feature.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Filthy Hans posted:

120hz is good but I don't think they'll care about 4K or HDR. There was a nice Samsung 60" 120hz LED on Amazon for $700 but that model for some reason lacks the soundbar compatibility so they'd need a second remote for volume, and that's unacceptable. The room's pretty bright but the screen wouldn't ever be exposed to direct sunlight so I don't think glare is that big a deal. Anything with good WIFI smart features for Netflix would be a huge plus because a Chrome or Amazon Fire dongle would be one more complication for them (they're olds).

The only other thing that bothers them is poor motion-smoothing. They have a 4 or 5 year old Vizio 42" and it made everything look like a soap opera; I disabled the feature for them and everything looked much better without the feature.

What do you mean lacking sound bar compatibility? It has optical out.

The best thing I did for my parents was to buy them a harmony smart hub remote to control everything. Rock solid once I set it up and I can remote manage.

Also Sonos has a utility to recognize the tv remotes volume signals if you cannot program the remote itself. I realize you probably don't want to spend as much on the sound bar as the tv but maybe other sound bars have something similar? You didn't mention what soundbar you're looking at.

Count on budget 60" tvs to have poo poo smart features and be prepared to get a roku or whatever you prefer.

Also I would just get a Vizio.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/ol/B01E6BG3L8/ref=mw_dp_olp?ie=UTF8&condition=all

This model is 4K and doesn't have 120hz, but it has good wifi and smart apps, and has optical out and ARC so should work fine with whatever soundbar.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

sellouts posted:

What do you mean lacking sound bar compatibility? It has optical out.

Also I would just get a Vizio.

Some TVs have a special interface with a same-brand sound bar so power and volume are linked directly to the TV so you only need the one remote, that would be easier for my folks than using a different sound bar and the optical cable

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Filthy Hans posted:

Some TVs have a special interface with a same-brand sound bar so power and volume are linked directly to the TV so you only need the one remote, that would be easier for my folks than using a different sound bar and the optical cable

That's just CEC which passes over HDMI. Manufacturers slap their own name on it but it's a standard (which doesn't always work).

I can control my Denon with my Sony remote if I want volume wise but I have a Harmony so it's a moot point.

ARC + CEC over HDMI should be available on any modernish TV/soundbar.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

The remote that comes with the KS8000 can also control all sorts of poo poo (including my TiVo and stereo), I assume other new tvs have that as well.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

LmaoTheKid posted:

That's just CEC which passes over HDMI. Manufacturers slap their own name on it but it's a standard (which doesn't always work).

I can control my Denon with my Sony remote if I want volume wise but I have a Harmony so it's a moot point.

ARC + CEC over HDMI should be available on any modernish TV/soundbar.

oh cool, that makes things easier

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
I have a 55" OLED in the living room that owns quite a bit, but I wanted to get something in my office exclusively for: (1) 4K gaming and (2) viewing 4K content on PC or Xbox One.

It would be mounted above my monitor and I don't know how that is going to work for actually playing PC games while sitting at the mouse/keyboard, so I'm thinking more of gaming from my couch but with the ability to play sitting at the desk if a game really calls for it (FPS, etc.). In any event, the viewing distance will be a little bit up, either from the couch or sitting at the keyboard/mouse.

The couch is roughly 8 feet away from where the TV would be mounted. I specifically want HDR and at least 120hz refresh rate (I'm driving PC with a GTX 1080 that I could SLI if necessary, but I realize I'm not going to be getting 120 fps at 4K).

I'm unsure on the size. Does it being utilized as a gaming monitor occasionally change the math on that?

I was looking at this today at Costco., where it was on sale for 599.99: http://www.costco.com/Samsung-50%22-Class-(49.5%22-Diag)-4K-Ultra-HD-LED-LCD-TV-UN50KU630DFXZA.product.100296587.html

I was also looking at the Vizio M-series, which is a little bit more expensive.

I don't need it to be very smart (although I realize all TVs are on some level smart tvs now) because it will be hooked up to a PC.

Looking for any recommendations. The room is 11.5 by 11.5.

beergod fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Oct 3, 2016

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've had a chance to see a few 4K TVs in action and they look strange to me. As in, there's something about the picture that doesn't "feel" right. In particular I was watching a movie from the 80s, it was hard to watch. It felt "too real" and there was no real depth of field. Is that upscaling? 120 Hz? HDR? Judder? I don't really know what these terms mean but some combination of factors added up to an experience I'd rather avoid.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Kobayashi posted:

I've had a chance to see a few 4K TVs in action and they look strange to me. As in, there's something about the picture that doesn't "feel" right. In particular I was watching a movie from the 80s, it was hard to watch. It felt "too real" and there was no real depth of field. Is that upscaling? 120 Hz? HDR? Judder? I don't really know what these terms mean but some combination of factors added up to an experience I'd rather avoid.

Probably the lovely soap opera effect. Everyone turns that off.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, go see one outside of a showroom. They shouldn't look any worse with normal broadcast or bluray feeds than a 1080p set.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You saw lovely motion handling. Turn it off.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My first LCD (a 55" Vizio) had it turned on and my reaction was "wtf is this creepy rear end poo poo?"

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

NEW CHROMECAST DOES DOLBY VISION!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is there anywhere keeping tabs of the Xbox One S issues? Looking up anything to do with consoles always brings up the fanboys from either side, and I just want to know whether things are being resolved, and if they're not are they things that would bother me.

As I'm surprisingly happy with the 4K/HDR offerings on the TVs own apps combined with my Apple TV, I'd mainly be wanting one for occasional gaming blasts (I'm the most casual of all gamers, but I like downloading demos and seeing what the tech is able to do more than spending hours and hours on a large collection of games I've invested in) and the UHD Blu-Ray drive alongside it. The UHD Blu-Ray players just aren't cheap enough given how many films I can see me buying on the format right now, presuming it survives.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
HDTV Thread, I am in a bind.

I feel like I'm going insane. For starters I wasn't even sure whether to take this to this thread or the audio thread, because it's a bit of a trainwreck of conflicting priorities. Let me explain.

I'll be getting a PS4 Pro when it comes out and I've been looking for an excuse to grab a new TV with all the bells and whistles (so, 4k, HDR, and hopefully absolutely no "smart" features). I also want to hook other things up to this TV, maybe. Okay, so far, so sane.

Here's the thing. I have a 5.1 soundbar that I like, because I have neither the space nor the money nor the inclination to buy a proper 5.1 setup. It takes optical audio in. I don't want to commit it to one input and have to be plugging it in and out. I figured that since most TVs have optical passthrough I could use that, but gently caress me, it turns out that basically every TV ever made actually downmixes 5.1 audio coming in over HDMI to stereo before passing it to optical. I think this is because something something waaah waaah copyright? I don't know.

My current setup, with my quite passable 1080p TV, consists of a 3-1 HDMI switch, which outputs to a HDMI repeater that extracts the audio. It's a bit nuts, but it basically works. Sadly, none of this stuff I have promises to play nice with 4k, and I gather that even the stuff that does promise that might not work with 4k@60fps, just 4k@30.

HDTV thread, before we even get to the recommending me things and worrying about price, what the gently caress do I even look for here?

The holy grail here: a 4K, HDR TV with 4+ HDMI slots and optical passthrough that doesn't arbitrarily downmix to stereo.

But failing that, I want to know what stuff I can buy (in the UK) that, if I can't rely on passthrough, will let me hook up several things such that they can all get 4k@60 HDR video to a TV and 5.1 audio to a soundbar - and preferably without paying more than the cost of a new TV.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

A 4K, HDR screen with all the bells and whistles that isn't smart? Never going to exist.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

You are never going to get a TV without smart features.

You are never going to get a TV that doesn't downmix its audio output to stereo.

Based on the above two immutable facts, formulate a game plan.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Rastor posted:

You are never going to get a TV without smart features.

I feared (and expected) it would come to that. I can live with the presence of "smart" features that I'm never going to use if it does all the other stuff I want.

Bells and whistles was probably a bad turn of phrase in this thread, it probably means different things here than it does to me. Probably a more sensible thing to say is this; I have no interest in features beyond a good quality display, resolution, HDR support, low input lag, number of HDMI ports, and 5.1 HDMI->Optical passthrough. If it has to come laden with stupid apps that I'm never going to use I can live with that. Having stuff like a camera or mic is more of a dealbreaker.

Rastor posted:

You are never going to get a TV that doesn't downmix its audio output to stereo.

Far be it for me to come in here and argue with the thread but... what? My TV can do 5.1 optical passthrough, but only for its built-in TV receiver, not for HDMI sources.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

A 4K, HDR screen with all the bells and whistles that isn't smart? Never going to exist.
It might exist, but it will cost you $20,000 and probably be under 50" since it will be intended exclusively for commercial video studios.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Fedule posted:

Far be it for me to come in here and argue with the thread but... what? My TV can do 5.1 optical passthrough, but only for its built-in TV receiver, not for HDMI sources.

That's because of Dolby Digital licensing, basically. You can only do 5.1 over optical when using a compression scheme like Dolby Digital or DTS, but HDMI can carry 7.1 audio in any huge number of formats, and better quality.

Broadcast TV uses a very limited set of 5.1 codecs that optical can support. Your best bet is finding video sources (console, PC, streaming box, cable box, blu-ray player) that also have optical audio out, and connecting that to your soundbar directly, and not trying to somehow take the audio out of HDMI and put it into optical, because you're limiting yourself from using most of the codecs that HDMI can support.

Edit: If your current setup with a switch and audio stripper is good enough, maybe you'd consider a TOSLINK optical switch? Those exist and aren't particularly expensive.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 5, 2016

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's what I ended up doing. Picked up a 5-port switch. I plug all my HDMI inputs into the switch, it sends one HDMI cable to my TV and one optical cable to my soundbar. That way, I just push a button to switch inputs on the soundbar instead of switching inputs on the TV. There are models that auto-detect the input but I didn't want to mess with that. Cost me about $30. Next step is to find a basic universal remote that can control my TV, soundbar audio level, and switch input.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Twerk from Home posted:

That's because of Dolby Digital licensing, basically. You can only do 5.1 over optical when using a compression scheme like Dolby Digital or DTS, but HDMI can carry 7.1 audio in any huge number of formats, and better quality.

Broadcast TV uses a very limited set of 5.1 codecs that optical can support. Your best bet is finding video sources (console, PC, streaming box, cable box, blu-ray player) that also have optical audio out, and connecting that to your soundbar directly, and not trying to somehow take the audio out of HDMI and put it into optical, because you're limiting yourself from using most of the codecs that HDMI can support.

Edit: If your current setup with a switch and audio stripper is good enough, maybe you'd consider a TOSLINK optical switch? Those exist and aren't particularly expensive.

Okay, progress... we're kinda back where we started but I'm starting to learn things now.

I can't really rely on going native optical out all around because, while that's fine for the PS4-soon-to-be-pro, it's less fine for the WiiU, the Steam Link and the connect-your-laptop cable, none of which have optical. (The WiiU has its own problems because I don't think it supports Dolby/DTS and my soundbar does not like PCM, so I gather that short of buying a new sound system I will not be getting 5.1 in Splatoon.)

Repeated googling since coming here has coughed up this from rtings, suggesting that 5.1 passthrough is possible but only for Dolby/DTS... which, yeah, is more or less literally what you just said. Is compressed audio really such a bad thing? I have never been and never will be an audiophile, and if a very slight degradation in audio quality is the only sacrifice standing between me and being able to connect a game console to a TV using one single god drat cable and still get surround sound without having to futz around with (questionably compatible) repeaters and switches and without having to explain to my housemates why they have to press three buttons on two remotes to get sound out of the TV then gently caress the quality.

Alternatively! I am not totally averse to buying a receiver, but I have reservations. There's no way around the fact that my soundbar only takes optical in, so we're going to have to go optical at some point anyway unless I buy a whole new sound system as well, and I only have so much money to blow on all this. Also I need to be sure that it will play nice with 4k@60, which is the thing that we're avoiding by connecting stuff direct to the TV and using passthrough to get the audio out.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Remotes are a 100 dollar problem. You should only use 1 remote. It's called a harmony smart hub. If you have a complex system where you think you need multiple remotes then chalk it up to the cost of doing business.

This is as important as the "every tv is smart and sometimes the smartness actually owns" bit of the thread at this point.

Anyways, with Wii U and a bunch of poo poo this sounds like you should sell the soundbar poo poo, take a loss, and get a system that does what you want. And this is coming from a guy who has a Sonos soundbar system.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I find most of my remotes control enough of each other as it is, and most receiver remotes are programmable these days. I had a Harmony remote thinking it would be amazing, and I have to say I hated that thing with an absolute passion. Logitechs software has hopefully improved since then, but from what I hear of them it's probably not by much.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

So you're not specifying a model or even a recent experience and yet still making GBS threads all over it?

Cool, got it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Reaction, much? Not everyone likes the same things, and I'm offering a different opinion based on owning one as I hoped it would be a great addition to my kit. I found the software was convoluted and scaled horribly on my HTPC at the time and its attempts to layout as many controls over pages and pages of menu options was cumbersome. My housemate knocked it about a foot off the table to the floor and it died instantly and it never seemed worth replacing. I'm glad that lots of manufacturers now include similar functionality in their remotes.

As for model number, it was something-555 but I'm aware the UK and US model numbers differ anyway. It was about $100 or so.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

How is a soundbar even 5.1? Front 3 all in the soundbar and some janky wireless satellites and a sub? I would just spend whatever money you are planning on spending on a better traditional soundbar and call it a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dogen posted:

How is a soundbar even 5.1? Front 3 all in the soundbar and some janky wireless satellites and a sub? I would just spend whatever money you are planning on spending on a better traditional soundbar and call it a day.

~Virtual~ 5.1