Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Put it this way, ED is using the Wildstar method of content for its player base.

If there was any other space show in town everyone would just go there instead. But there isn't yet so here we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

DancingShade posted:

Put it this way, ED is using the Wildstar method of content for its player base.

If there was any other space show in town everyone would just go there instead. But there isn't yet so here we are.

Star Citizen :v:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I have no idea how you'd "fix" financial disparity in a game where literally every aspect is a grind. You log in, you grind, and whether or not it's fun is kind of up to you.

Thank god Star Citizen will soon fix this for us by making it based on your real life money instead of an in-game grind.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE
If you are grinding its by choice. Calm down and have fun it's a game not a job, the bits you need will pop up sooner or later.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Morningwoodpecker posted:

If you are grinding its by choice. Calm down and have fun it's a game not a job, the bits you need will pop up sooner or later.

Fun is forbidden by Frontier Developments.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Morningwoodpecker posted:

I've been on the lookout for modular terminals since I saw they were required for fsd upgrades.

I have made many missions, went to a lot of space stations, killed many ships and still have 0 of them. It's been something like 6 hours of game play, which is about two weeks worth for me, and due to the RNG aspect and wanting to upgrade more ships, I need 10 or so of them.

Part of the fun for me is upgrading my stuff and I currently can't do that by casual playing, not in a reasonable time at least. Of course I can keep flying my stock spaceship, but it's like keeping killing low level mobs in a MMO because you can't afford better weapons or whatever - it grows thin after a while

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah "just don't grind" isn't helpful when the entire gameplay loop is about upgrading your stuff to explore farther away/kill bigger things/get new spaceships and everything is designed to be grindy or very grindy. Sure you can forever mess around in a cheap ship with A-class gear, tops, but not everyone likes that. You can also eg. explore the galaxy in a Sidewinder with 15 ly jump range but I don't think you're going to do that very long.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I ❤️ this threads cyclical nature :allears:

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

2spooky4me posted:

I ❤️ this threads cyclical nature :allears:

Your name changed. Spooky.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

TorakFade posted:

I've been on the lookout for modular terminals since I saw they were required for fsd upgrades.

I have made many missions, went to a lot of space stations, killed many ships and still have 0 of them. It's been something like 6 hours of game play, which is about two weeks worth for me, and due to the RNG aspect and wanting to upgrade more ships, I need 10 or so of them.

Part of the fun for me is upgrading my stuff and I currently can't do that by casual playing, not in a reasonable time at least. Of course I can keep flying my stock spaceship, but it's like keeping killing low level mobs in a MMO because you can't afford better weapons or whatever - it grows thin after a while

Aren't those only required for the rank 3 mods? The rank 5 components should be far easier to get.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I had a skimmer mission for a base with none - SRVd in, blew up some turrets, drove around, watched the contact list, drove away took off/relanded, relogged, after at least half an hour of stuff gave up.

Mark me as another grind victim. My gaming time is fragmented and there's a bunch of other cool games out atm so my Elite time is 30-120 minutes once or twice a week. With engi upgrades I'd love to go back to a FDS and slap 5 dirty drives on it, but at about 1/4 of the next needed rep bar to get the system permit for Qwent has me thinking at this pace it'll be another 2 months to get there and is killin my motivation to even boot the game up. Esp. knowin all the next steps still after that. Bah.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Rectus posted:

Aren't those only required for the rank 3 mods? The rank 5 components should be far easier to get.

Yep but they're also needed for things like Dirty Drives, Reinforced Shields and High Charge Power Distributor so I figured out I'd grab some, before I understood they're drat near impossible to find. Besides you have to craft some rank 2 and rank 3 poo poo to get to higher rank stuff, unless you want to grind 300+ of the basic stuff for rank 1's or just craft random rank 2-3 stuff that you never actually plan to apply, with the materials you have (if you have them)

For rank 5 FSD I miss arsenic (never found it once in 2.5 hours of mining, never awarded in a mission, never found it on planet surfaces - which I admittedly don't do much because it's kinda boring and I find the one SRV we have tough to control with my hotas, I spin out all the time) and chemical somethings, I have plenty of the other 2 kinds of chemical something but not this 3rd one, never dropped from the dozens of transport ships I blew up in a nav beacon. I think I actually have 4 of the needed emitter coil commodity on me but without those other things, it's useless and only hogging part of my cargo bay :v:

I probably should roam a couple of hours in an arsenic-rich planet smashing rocks, or board scum for the materials I need.. but it's not fun so I'll just keep my best-rank-1-result FSD :smith:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 2, 2016

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

So uh. The chemical dispenser manipulator whateverers and a lot of other materials just show up at unidentified signal sources. Usually battle aftermath.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

orcane posted:

Yeah "just don't grind" isn't helpful when the entire gameplay loop is about upgrading your stuff to explore farther away/kill bigger things/get new spaceships and everything is designed to be grindy or very grindy. Sure you can forever mess around in a cheap ship with A-class gear, tops, but not everyone likes that. You can also eg. explore the galaxy in a Sidewinder with 15 ly jump range but I don't think you're going to do that very long.

Well, you can explore the galaxy in an Asp relatively cheaply. I don't really feel like there's anything "grind-required" in this game -- the engineer stuff sucks but people were getting along fine before engineer upgrades existed at all. The high end ships that need rep, there's civilian equivalents that are nearly as good with certain trade offs (the Anaconda having less cargo than a Cutter but with a much better jump range for example). To some extent, you have to expect in a game that is at least ostensibly multiplayer that you are, in some way, going to have less things or less upgraded things than people who put in more time. And that there will be some insane high-end stuff that's only for the poopsockers.

At the same time, there are ways to have "grinding" or otherwise spending time in a game be fun, and the engineer grind is stupid and horrible and I loving hate it.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
"guys I did the same repetitive tasks for 32 hours straight to achieve some arbitrary goal and this game feels really shallow"

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Thing is, the engineer bonuses are really good, so you don't want to miss out on them. I could go exploring in a 23 LY-range Asp, or I could grind engineers for a bit and go exploring in a 40 LY-range Asp. I'd be kind of silly to not invest a bit of time in order to get a result like that.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

You can have fun, or you can have nice things. It can't be both, you silly people

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

StarkRavingMad posted:

Well, you can explore the galaxy in an Asp relatively cheaply. I don't really feel like there's anything "grind-required" in this game -- the engineer stuff sucks but people were getting along fine before engineer upgrades existed at all. The high end ships that need rep, there's civilian equivalents that are nearly as good with certain trade offs (the Anaconda having less cargo than a Cutter but with a much better jump range for example). To some extent, you have to expect in a game that is at least ostensibly multiplayer that you are, in some way, going to have less things or less upgraded things than people who put in more time. And that there will be some insane high-end stuff that's only for the poopsockers.

At the same time, there are ways to have "grinding" or otherwise spending time in a game be fun, and the engineer grind is stupid and horrible and I loving hate it.

Asp exploring is the best.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

IMO the whole game is just about the gameplay loop. The ability to upgrade to bigger or more engineered ships just doesn't have the depth to be a 'reward' worth grinding for if you aren't enjoying it. At least, not after you have an okay all rounder with a respectable jump range.

Grinding will always leave you disappointed in the end because Elite's not a loot game or a dungeon crawler. Stop playing the moment you start getting bored :wtc:

E: lack of storage for engineer cargo is really dumb tho

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Strategic Tea posted:

IMO the whole game is just about the gameplay loop. The ability to upgrade to bigger or more engineered ships just doesn't have the depth to be a 'reward' worth grinding for if you aren't enjoying it. At least, not after you have an okay all rounder with a respectable jump range.

Grinding will always leave you disappointed in the end because Elite's not a loot game or a dungeon crawler. Stop playing the moment you start getting bored :wtc:

E: lack of storage for engineer cargo is really dumb tho

The number of components doesn't help things either.

I would love for someone to a "no grind" experiment and see how long it takes to get a ship engineered out.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Xae posted:

The number of components doesn't help things either.

I would love for someone to a "no grind" experiment and see how long it takes to get a ship engineered out.

What counts as no grind? I've not felt like I've been grinding and I don't have a lot of time to play but I've been playing since pretty early on and so most permits, money etc has just kinda happened. (I would have got bored and stopped long ago if it felt too much like a grind)

I did recently do more specifically to unlock Prof Palin though, as I need those dirty dirty thrusters. Was already almost allied with Sirius when I stated that, somehow :). There is no way I would have been anywhere near as effective without the many excellent guides and tools people have made, however :D (Thanks mystery internet citizens!)

Side note : I've bit done any eng mods higher than a level 3 fsd range yet, so I may come back in a couple of weeks and retract this entire post.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Gort posted:

Thing is, the engineer bonuses are really good, so you don't want to miss out on them. I could go exploring in a 23 LY-range Asp, or I could grind engineers for a bit and go exploring in a 40 LY-range Asp. I'd be kind of silly to not invest a bit of time in order to get a result like that.

For exploring, higher jump range only helps if you actually have a specific destination you need to get to in a hurry. If you just plan to point at a random location and scan systems all the way, a longer jump range means you see less stuff. I guess a longer range gets you out into the wilderness quicker so you can put your name on stuff, but it's not like you have to go far for that anyway.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Doesn't a longer jump range mean you use less fuel per light year?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Xae posted:

The only way to not grind is to uninstall the game. Every single gameplay mechanic is grinding for rank, money, materials or making some other value go up by +1. Engineer grinding is only the worst because of the multiple levels of luck required on top of the usual grinding.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Doesn't a longer jump range mean you use less fuel per light year?
Yes, but when you're parkouring and filling your tank pretty much every jump fuel economy isn't that relevant.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I wanted to buy a :pcgaming: chrome skin :pcgaming: for my DBX but it's not there anymore and the link to it on Google goes to a 404 page. I'm pretty sure I saw it last week or the one before, are they time-limited or cycling through some of the skins?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

orcane posted:

I wanted to buy a :pcgaming: chrome skin :pcgaming: for my DBX but it's not there anymore and the link to it on Google goes to a 404 page. I'm pretty sure I saw it last week or the one before, are they time-limited or cycling through some of the skins?

gently caress, you're making GBS threads me, it's gone?! Yeah I don't see it anymore.

Granted I would've felt like poo poo if I got it, because I essentially shelved my DBX, but still...that sucks!

I wonder if anyone who already bought it ended up losing it or something...

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

I don't know why they'd remove it, but I bought the gold anaconda skin and I still have it available to use (kinda like people who bought the Black Friday skins will still have access to them even well after that became unavailable to purchase). Seems like they pulled all of the gold and chrome skins out of the store.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
C'mooon chrome DB Scout skin :pray:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
white be tight

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TorakFade posted:

You can have fun, or you can have nice things. It can't be both, you silly people

Yeah. The best part about the engineer grind is how non optional it is since all the NPCs can rock up with upgrades. You pretty much have to do at least a few tiers just to stay semi competitive.

I guess this matters less if they're an eternal sidewinder pilot "casually enjoying the game" or something. A space unicorn.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Oh hey, just made a cool 7.7 million on the latest CG. Nice for only an hour or two. Then I get ambushed by pirates as I investigate a USS and they kill me about 1 second before my FSD is charged. There goes 7.5 million in re-buy. Easy come, easy go I guess.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
so I haven't been able to play Elite D since about February or March... and now I finally have a replacement graphics card on the way.

in yr best summation... what have I missed in terms of updates/content/meta-game? I just can't wait to get back to mining and trading in my Clipper tbh.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Gromit posted:

For exploring, higher jump range only helps if you actually have a specific destination you need to get to in a hurry. If you just plan to point at a random location and scan systems all the way, a longer jump range means you see less stuff. I guess a longer range gets you out into the wilderness quicker so you can put your name on stuff, but it's not like you have to go far for that anyway.

Actually, this only works if you're targetting the core, since over there the stars get closer and closer together. Everywhere else (especially the edges or between arms) and you risk having to make huge detours or you find stars you just can't reach. (The alternative would be of course to load yourself up with materials to jump boost your way through those obstacles.)

Generally speaking, while you don't have to fine-tune your jump range to silly extremes, as a rule of thumb an explorer should have at least 30 ly/jump range for ease of moving around.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

10kly is the farthest I've been with my Asp, and I don't think I had it up to 30ly jump range. The only time that affected me is when I headed out of the bubble away from the core to the edge of one of the spiral arms. I'd say it works so long as you don't want to go where there are hardly any stars, and who'd want to?

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
While it doesn't make engineering any less grindy, bad engineered modules are still better than no engineered modules and the random secondary effect rolls can have almost as good effects as the primary effect. So if you cannot afford just the right primary mod that you want, just roll a dozen rank two or three +integrity modules or something else cheap that you do have the mats for to build up rep for the future, and keep the ones with good secondary effect rolls.

For example a really good roll on the secondary on the rank 1 +integrity power distributor can give you like a +7% charge up bonus to all capacitors that's about equivalent to a medium roll on a rank 1 charge enhanced distributor primary, and worn shield emitters are only used for that and the rank 1 +integrity powerplant, so it's not like you're going to use those emitters for anything else.

Pretty much any effect you can get on a primary effect can also go on the secondary effect. So if you can't find the mats for just the right upgrade you want, but can afford multiple rolls on some random upgrade for the same module. You can reroll that module until you get a decent secondary roll and use that as a stopgag until you can afford the upgrade you actually want.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Gromit posted:

10kly is the farthest I've been with my Asp, and I don't think I had it up to 30ly jump range. The only time that affected me is when I headed out of the bubble away from the core to the edge of one of the spiral arms. I'd say it works so long as you don't want to go where there are hardly any stars, and who'd want to?

I do. :v:

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Sundowner posted:

so I haven't been able to play Elite D since about February or March... and now I finally have a replacement graphics card on the way.

in yr best summation... what have I missed in terms of updates/content/meta-game? I just can't wait to get back to mining and trading in my Clipper tbh.

Alien ship wreck.

Engineers - upgrade your ship to be (at best, give or take a few %) 50% better in nearly every aspect.

Missiles are now Serious Business, shields down = crippled ship.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

TorakFade posted:

For rank 5 FSD I miss arsenic (never found it once in 2.5 hours of mining, never awarded in a mission, never found it on planet surfaces - which I admittedly don't do much because it's kinda boring and I find the one SRV we have tough to control with my hotas, I spin out all the time)

I hear you. I found arsenics on one of the planets in Deciat. You have to keep looking for the mesodsierite stuff which should pop arsenics on a regular base. I had to find 5 of them for 3 arsenics, which turn into 9 materials. All in all 40min of boring SRV driving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giovanni0109
Apr 28, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Einbauschrank posted:

I hear you. I found arsenics on one of the planets in Deciat. You have to keep looking for the mesodsierite stuff which should pop arsenics on a regular base. I had to find 5 of them for 3 arsenics, which turn into 9 materials. All in all 40min of boring SRV driving.

I've had better luck finding Arsenic in Metallic Meteorites. Lots of close listening to the wave scanner though. For some reason I really enjoy driving in the SRV, but I'm also playing in VR so that likely helps a lot.

• Locked thread