Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

If it's a defect, contact the seller and ask for a new one. Record companies realize that the process isn't perfect and they'll usually just send you another.

If you messed it up cleaning it (again, why?) try cleaning it again I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT

minivanmegafun posted:

If it's a defect, contact the seller and ask for a new one. Record companies realize that the process isn't perfect and they'll usually just send you another.

If you messed it up cleaning it (again, why?) try cleaning it again I guess.

I think the table not be calibrated correctly. I don't know, it's driving me nuts.

I clean new records because every guide I've seen on how to care for records contains some kind of provision for doing so. http://www.vinylrecordfair.com/clean-vinyl-records/

"Cleaning New Records
Even brand new records should be cleaned before their first trip around the turntable.

New records come coated in a mold release compound that should be cleaned off if you wish to achieve the highest quality of sound from your vinyl record."

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I don't know about mold release agent but some come with a bunch of dust or paper bits so usually I brush (although not clean with liquid) new records

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Some records are printed using cheap recycled plastic that contains a lot of contaminants. That could be what you're hearing. I've had a few brand new records with this problem, and no amount of brushing or cleaning or turntable adjustments can fix it.

rivid
Jul 17, 2005

Matt 24:44
I have a pair of speakers that are sitting on my floor right now. I know that my downstairs neighbors can probably hear them sometimes. Right now I've got them both on stacks of pieces of cardboard. Can anyone recommend maybe some sort of "sound proof" stand or platform that I can put them on? They're about a foot wide and a foot long.

In past I put my roommate's console speakers on top of pieces of rubber padding and concrete blocks but now that I'm not in college anymore I'd like to find something a little more presentable.

rivid fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 12, 2016

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
The wife is out, so I spent five hours repairing my Beocord 7000 tape deck! Holy loving poo poo I am so glad I am never doing that again! Hundreds of microscopic mechanical parts and springs without any logic that I pulled apart and put back together again and again without understanding it until it suddenly just worked. I CAREFULLY put everything back together, and now I'm listening to Norwegian covers of American golden oldies on tape.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Haha yeah, my dad did his electronics technician apprenticeship in the 1970s, so he had to fix a lot of old school B&O gear.

As a hobby, we buy defective hi-fi and pro audio gear to fix and flip for a profit, but B&O gear is completely off limits. He absolutely refuses to touch most of their products. Tiny bullshit fiddly bits and razor-sharp edges everywhere.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I do the same, and I post most of the stuff here in the thread. That Marantz CD player I bought for $20 needed a $10 cog, and sold this weekend for $200. I do B&O stuff too, but it's been pretty simple jobs, mostly cosmetic. I did the wires for the sliding glass doors on one of the standing CD players, and that was one hell of a bitch too!

I've started taking that Tandberg tape deck apart too now in preparation of cleaning and service, and the inside is as much a work of art as the outside of a B&O product is! Everything is made of metal, solid as poo poo, and laid out beautifully and logically.

sacre
Jan 26, 2007
I'd love it if you could take some pictures of the insides of the Tandberg :)

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

sacre posted:

I'd love it if you could take some pictures of the insides of the Tandberg :)

I have new belts and bulbs on order, hopefully they'll be here next week and I can start working on it. I'll try to document it. It won't be a full electronics overhaul, just cleaning the mechanism and getting it going again. Right now it tries to start playing, but because the old grease has solidified, it stops right away.

In other new, my Beocord repair lasted pretty much exactly one day. I'll take it apart again and fix it up when I'm less pissed off at it.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I've got a vintage Pioneer SX-737 that aside from a few burned-out bulbs is working nicely. HOWEVER, the one input I use regularly--phono--is static-y. Whether or not I've actually connected my turntable or not, I can hear static coming through the right speaker. It can fade out to nothing, gradually get louder, then get quiet again. This happens with speakers connected in either the A or B jacks, or with no speakers and just headphones connected, which rules out a speaker or turntable issue. It's just the phono input, too, all the others are quiet. I used DeOxit on the switches and pots when I first got it and cleaned out the inputs on the rear of the unit, but to no avail. Any suggestions before I break down and take it to a nearby repair shop?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Is your turntable grounded to the grounding terminal on the back of the receiver?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

BANME.sh posted:

Is your turntable grounded to the grounding terminal on the back of the receiver?

Yes, when I connect it, but the issue happens even when the turntable isn't connected to the receiver.

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010
Make sure that the microphone socket is clean because that generation of Pioneer uses the same amplifier for both mic and phono and passes phono signals through the switch in the mic socket.

If that's not it, it could also be a faulty transistor on the phono preamp board, try spraying each one with freeze spray and see if that changes anything in the sound.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Grapeshot posted:

Make sure that the microphone socket is clean because that generation of Pioneer uses the same amplifier for both mic and phono and passes phono signals through the switch in the mic socket.

If that's not it, it could also be a faulty transistor on the phono preamp board, try spraying each one with freeze spray and see if that changes anything in the sound.

Thanks, I didn't know that! Will try tonight.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
More flea market pickups!

$5 got me a beat up noname SL1210-clone with a working AT-95E. I spent an hour cleaning it, and it sounds great! Notice my improvised repair on the tonearm weight. Yes, those are toothpicks!

$10 got me a Tandberg TA300M that should match nicely with my tape deck.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I know a genuine Panaphonics when I see one.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
Hell, what kind of tiny screws can I get at Home Depot to attach an AT440MLa to a Technics headshell?

Edit: Frys maybe? http://www.frys.com/search?pType=&cat=&query_string=screws&storeNo=7

beergod fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 18, 2016

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
You'll need to order a headshell screw set. Make sure they are long enough

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

beergod posted:

Hell, what kind of tiny screws can I get at Home Depot to attach an AT440MLa to a Technics headshell?

Edit: Frys maybe? http://www.frys.com/search?pType=&cat=&query_string=screws&storeNo=7

How many do you need? Two?

beergod
Nov 1, 2004

Dr.Caligari posted:

How many do you need? Two?

Yeah two

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
Bit of :ussr:-nostalgia...

I was cleaning out my parents shed and found my (very) old speakers - Radiotehnika S-30.

Not my photo since cabinets look disgusting, whatever paint or material was used in construction has turned into horrible sticky poo poo. Insides don't look bad tho and drivers still work.

Not really something special but supposedly okay-ish speakers that everyone had. Maybe I can easily fix outsides, repaint it or something and put them in the corner, have a little nostalgia trip from time to time.

Back then I used them with matching U-101 amp. Amp is long gone, got tired of having to get it fixed all the drat time.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

ah forget it posted:

Bit of :ussr:-nostalgia...

Back then I used them with matching U-101 amp. Amp is long gone, got tired of having to get it fixed all the drat time.

"Product of USSR" - I only took one year of Russian (that I failed). But is that what it says underneath the EQ?

Kind of funny but as an American I obviously knew people listened to music in the soviet union but I never imagined that yall would have had different stereos.

Thanks for this post - this is seriously cool.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

64bit_Dophins posted:

Kind of funny but as an American I obviously knew people listened to music in the soviet union but I never imagined that yall would have had different stereos.

Something I remembered while in the car the other day is that the USA has 10mhz steppings on the AM band, whereas back home in the UK (and probably the rest of Europe) its 9mhz. Fine for analog gear that's travelled the Atlantic, but anything digital is going to be a pain!

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

What is a good replacement cartridge for an Empire 698? It has an odd 'slide-on' style cartridge, so I don't think the forum favorite AT95 will be possible..

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Apparently there is some piece you can take off the headshell that lets you mount any cart

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

64bit_Dophins posted:

"Product of USSR" - I only took one year of Russian (that I failed). But is that what it says underneath the EQ?

Yes :)

Radiotehnika is a brand name of Riga Radio Factory from Latvia (RRR logo) and they still make audio gear. And I'm from Estonia, both Baltic states now in the glorious EU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

evobatman posted:

$10 got me a Tandberg TA300M that should match nicely with my tape deck.

See that program/mic slider? gently caress that thing right in the rear end! I cut the cables on it and connected the preamp directly to the amplifier, and now it sounds beautiful, with sound in both channels!

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
i picked these up at a yard sale for $40. the technics sl-23 and pioneer pl-112d need belts. the technics has no needle so i'll have to find one for that. the sansui fr-d4 works but the computer function moves the arm in a somewhat jerky manner (not sure if that's just how it is or something needs to be lubed) and for some reason when i push start, it moves the needle to almost the end of the record rather than the beginning.

any thoughts/suggestions/info on these turntables and cartridges would be appreciated, i don't know much about turntables.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

wolfbiker posted:

i picked these up at a yard sale for $40. the technics sl-23 and pioneer pl-112d need belts. the technics has no needle so i'll have to find one for that. the sansui fr-d4 works but the computer function moves the arm in a somewhat jerky manner (not sure if that's just how it is or something needs to be lubed) and for some reason when i push start, it moves the needle to almost the end of the record rather than the beginning.

any thoughts/suggestions/info on these turntables and cartridges would be appreciated, i don't know much about turntables.

That's a drat good find for $40! They all have interchangeable headshells, so buy one AT-95E cartridge, put it on a headshell and try it on all three of them. Keep the table that you like the best. Buy a fresh belt for it from eBay, and sell off the other two tables.

When the arm moves all the way across the record, it means the stylus is dead. You can of course also put fresh AT-95Es and belts on the other two too depending on your chances to sell them in your local market. I've sold a ton of garage sale turntables with new belts and carts and made some nice pocket change from them.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

wa27 posted:

Anyone know of an okay equalizer that's 13" wide or less? I've decided that the bass and treble controls on my Pioneer receiver are not doing it for me anymore. I don't really have any room in my setup anymore though except in a Kallax hole. I see plenty of equalizers on ebay in the $40 range that would probably be good enough, but it's hard to find dimensions on these things. I almost need to find one that came from a mini-system or something.

As luck would have it, I found this AudioControl C-22 at a flea market for $20:

It doesn't fit in my size constraints but I'm happy with it. I found the manual on AudioControl's website and it's a pretty amusing read:
http://www.audiocontrol.com/downloads/home/discontinued/c-101/C-22_C-25%20Owners%20Manual.pdf

I also picked up this Midland brand receiver at a garage sale for $10:

I always thought Midland stuff was garbage but this seems well made. Maybe they used to be decent? Or maybe it's a different Midland altogether. It's a pretty early FM Stereo receiver, back when they used "Multiplexed FM" to describe it.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

evobatman posted:

That's a drat good find for $40! They all have interchangeable headshells, so buy one AT-95E cartridge, put it on a headshell and try it on all three of them. Keep the table that you like the best. Buy a fresh belt for it from eBay, and sell off the other two tables.

When the arm moves all the way across the record, it means the stylus is dead. You can of course also put fresh AT-95Es and belts on the other two too depending on your chances to sell them in your local market. I've sold a ton of garage sale turntables with new belts and carts and made some nice pocket change from them.

I have an AT95E on a Pioneer turntable that coincidentally uses the same size belt as my Pioneer garage sale find. Everything works good, even the red Empire W70DE cartridge that came with it, though the cartridge is so unnervingly close to the record when it plays I swear it's touching the vinyl. The angle of the needle is almost even with the bottom of the cartridge.

Also the Sansui works good too, there's actually a button to tell it what size record you're listening to so it knows where to drop the needle, so it's dropping it in the proper spot now that I changed it.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
Well, it's not all that vintage or interesting but I cleaned up my old Radiotehnika S-30 speakers I found in parents shed. Not used for 15 years or so. Glued some cracks in cabinets, sanded off the old sticky paint or whatever that was used for finishing, painted them cherry red and cleaned the insides from literal rat poo poo :barf:.

Not sure I should really compare them to my much smaller Missions but I quite like the sound. 20 year old me really was stupid idiot for throwing them out and eventually buying some lovely PC speakers and headphones. "Designed for high-quality playback of music or speech programs" and sold in 1986 with a hefty price tag of 60 rubles :)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I bought the MX 8000, and holy poo poo what a heavy beast it is. 40kg of CRT goodness, with the motorized base adding I don't know how much.

Currently I just have my Gamecube hooked up through composite, but I'll be getting some quality SCART RGB cables soon. Probably going to toy around with a Raspberry Pi 3 and RetroPie for emulation at some point, too.

I've been out of the B&O game for a while, so it took me some time to get back into the arcana of hidden functions and getting everything set up right.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 2, 2016

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Hang on to your Gamecube, since Gamecube stuff is going up in price even though the Wii does better everything the Gamecube does except the Gameboy player. I guess that makes the Gamecube fit well as an audiophile system!

Doing stuff with B&O remotes seems more like spellcasting than controlling electronics. I have a Beolink 1000 and Beo 4, and somehow I seem to have to use both of them for whatever I want to achieve. You just hit a series of seemingly unrelated buttons, and suddenly your stereo or TV has changed a function without any form of feedback on whether you got it right or wrong.

I know I promised pics of the Tandberg tapedeck earlier, but screw that! I spent three-four evenings taking it apart and putting it back together again before I ended up with two ruined tapes and discovered it had a broken motor. I sold it on for pretty much what I had put into it.

An Arcam CD player sold for $125

A Sansui TU-5500 tuner sold for $50

Both were picked up at the flea markets for a total price of $6.

I also picked up a Sansui R-5 receiver with tapedeck in need of a new belt for $12 and have it listed for $50, since it's just 2*25 watts. It's very pretty with all the lights!

Also, I've put an Ortofon OM5E cartridge on my fake SL-1210 and I bought Random Access Memories on 180g vinyl since I wanted to hear what a brand new record sounds like. It sounds pretty good! I also found that the soundtrack from Tron Legacy, especially track 12, is great for testing my stereo.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

evobatman posted:

Hang on to your Gamecube, since Gamecube stuff is going up in price even though the Wii does better everything the Gamecube does except the Gameboy player. I guess that makes the Gamecube fit well as an audiophile system!

It's an early Gamecube with the digital AV port, so it can use the extremely rare and very expensive component video cable, which is the only way to get progressive video output. That probably makes it a bit more valuable. I have a Wii as well, so I'm likely just going to use that, especially since Wii RGB SCART cables are significantly less expensive than the ones for the Gamecube.

I still love the silly little 'cube, though. It's one hell of a package, when you consider that it can match the Xbox in graphics, in the right hands. And of course it's built from 100% nintendium, so it'll probably last forever.

quote:

Doing stuff with B&O remotes seems more like spellcasting than controlling electronics. I have a Beolink 1000 and Beo 4, and somehow I seem to have to use both of them for whatever I want to achieve. You just hit a series of seemingly unrelated buttons, and suddenly your stereo or TV has changed a function without any form of feedback on whether you got it right or wrong.

The Beo4 should be able to do everything the Beolink 1000 can do, provided the correct functions are added. You can mess around with stuff by holding standby and pressing list. Toggle through the options by pressing list. AFAIK the Beo4 has six primary configs, video 1-3 and audio 1-3. For an MX TV as the primary device, video 2 is the right config. Avant is video 1, and I can't remember what video 3 is for (unless it's a newer type 1710 remote, then there are different assignments). But that's just the base config, you can add functions on top of that. Honestly, you either need to have the service manual, or someone who's had the dealer training from B&O, because while it's a super capable remote, it's also meant to be configured by a dealer for each customer's personal setup.

I am pretty sure your Beo4 can be tailered to work seamlessly for your setup, but getting there isn't necessarily going to be straight forward ;)

Still, I consider the Beo4 to be the best remote control ever made, I just wish it could be used as a universal remote, or that some company would make a competent universal learning remote, of the same quality as the Beo4.

The closest I've come is the NAD HTR 8. While it is made from plastic, it feels nice and hefty, and very solid. Of course, there are only presets available for NAD products, but the learning function is extremely good, it can even learn and control B&O devices.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Oct 3, 2016

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Ya'll cleaned up this weekend

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
It's funny to look at my own post history in this thread and see me go from "What is a so-called 'CD player'?" to being a mogul of used electronics.

That Sansui receiver sold overnight, I probably underpriced it, but it's cheap 80s stuff anyway.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's a very nice looking receiver, and a matching tape deck makes it even better. $50 is probably a little underpriced, but at least someone got a good deal on some pretty retro gear :)

E: One strange thing I've found about the Beovision MX 8000 is that it acts less like the previous MX models, and more like the Beovision 1, which it is based on. For instance, while the speaker system is quite good, there is no loudness function like there was on older B&O TVs.

Not that it matters much, I can just crank the bass and turn up the volume. I miss powerful sound systems like this in TVs :) The guy I bought it from even gave me a really expensive-looking cable to connect up the TV to a non-B&O stereo. Other than the deepest bass, it's definitely not missing anything, though. I may end up hooking it up anyway, just to make the sound more room-filling.

E: I've been playing around a bit, and one thing I really like on the later-model MX TVs is that all the geometry adjustments are available directly from a hidden service menu, instead of having to fiddle with potentiometers like on old TVs, or having to bridge a jumper like earlier MXs.

I've noticed on most CRT TVs I've used, that input from game consoles tend to be shifted a bit to the left, probably something to do with signal timing. In the service menu, there's a handy-dandy "horizontal shift" slider, which lets me set it perfectly. The only drawback is that you can only adjust it while on the TV input, not on the SCART inputs. Still, it's a minor annoyance.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Oct 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
Welp, I'm finally taking the plunge into vinyl-land. I hit up a guy on Craigslist selling an absolutely beautiful Pioneer PL-518 that looks very well cared for. Dude has the original packaging and everything. If he gets back to me then it's vintage receiver shopping time.