Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
These aren't perfect, obviously, but some comparisons.
Pixel vs 5X vs iPhone7 http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Google-Pixel,Google-Nexus-5X,Apple-iPhone-7/phones/10264,9593,9815
Pixel XL vs 6P vs iPhone 7+ http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Google-Pixel-XL,Google-Nexus-6P,Apple-iPhone-7-Plus/phones/10263,9587,9816

The Pixel units are a little smaller (couple mm each in height/width) than the Nexus units (yay!). Both Pixel units are a little lighter than their Nexus counterparts (168g vs 178g, 143g vs 147g). Internals are the identical, except for battery size and screen size/resolution (finally!). Screen to body ratio is *slightly* less on the XL than the 6P, but I'll gladly take the smaller dimensions (though front speakers would have been really nice). They look boring, but they are gonna sit in a matte black case anyway, so who cares? Camera looks to be pretty much the same as last year. 12MP f/2.0 unit with 1.55μm pixels. The iPhone camera is f/1.8, but it has slightly smaller pixels so they should be pretty identical again. Front image stabilization would be nice, but I haven't seen specs on that yet.

Really, its going to come down to pricing for me. If its sane, I'll upgrade. If its not, I'll probably still upgrade.

I'm not interested in anything else Google is announcing on Tuesday (Home/Chromecast-4k/router/etc), so its just the phone for me.

Source for dimensions/weight not on the comparison page: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Final-Google-Pixel-and-Google-Pixel-XL-specs-are-posted-by-Carphone-Warehouse_id86068

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm hoping that just having two storage options (32gb and 128gb) and having the same specs just with different sizes (barring resolution and battery which is due to the size) means that the price delta between phones will be very small.

I can stomach $650 for a 32gb Pixel if the 128gb Pixel is only $700-$720.

I'm also curious to see if the 700 mah increase in battery for the XL actually translates to anything in the real world due to the increased screen size and resolution. That's about the only thing that would make me consider the XL over the smaller one. I like my Moto X Pure, but going back to a smaller size is tempting. I could have a phone that fit into the phone slot the center console of my car again.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Yeah, I'm thinking hard about going for the smaller one.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
"Pixel, Phone by Google" what is a horribly constructed sentence. Like is that the actual name? What the gently caress is the comma doing doing there? It repeats it the next paragraph down so does the advertising guide specify calling it 'Pixel, Phone by Google'????

hello salesperson i would like one Phone by Google, Pixel

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

bull3964 posted:

I'm hoping that just having two storage options (32gb and 128gb) and having the same specs just with different sizes (barring resolution and battery which is due to the size) means that the price delta between phones will be very small.

I can stomach $650 for a 32gb Pixel if the 128gb Pixel is only $700-$720.

I'm also curious to see if the 700 mah increase in battery for the XL actually translates to anything in the real world due to the increased screen size and resolution. That's about the only thing that would make me consider the XL over the smaller one. I like my Moto X Pure, but going back to a smaller size is tempting. I could have a phone that fit into the phone slot the center console of my car again.

AP speculation is an alternating price scheme.

Pixel 32 - $649
Pixel 128 - $749
Pixel XL 32 - $699
Pixel XL 128 - $799

Give or take another twenty-to-thirty bucks.

No GPU upgrade, no Gorilla Glass 5, no sub-f/2.0 camera, no dual front speakers, no dual lens, and no IP68? For premium prices? Fuuuck that.
I think I'll take a chance on an unlocked Sarnsung next year, before paying a $300 premium just for two years of OS upgrades.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Oct 3, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

699 USD for the 32GB XL? So that's probably gonna be 900 to 1000 Canadian doing a direct currency conversion. It better be the most feature packed incredible amazing premium flagship for that price, because what the gently caress Google.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

For those prices the ZTE Axon 7 and One plus 3 are so much better deals.

You could basically buy a new phone next year at the 400 dollar range and pay the same amount, have as consistent OS updates, and have overall better hardware.

Oh and also have more storage thanks to the micro SD slots.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Mister Macys posted:

AP speculation is an alternating price scheme.

Pixel 32 - $649
Pixel 128 - $749
Pixel XL 32 - $699
Pixel XL 128 - $799

Give or take another twenty-to-thirty bucks.

No GPU upgrade, no Gorilla Glass 5, no sub-f/2.0 camera, no dual front speakers, no dual lens, and no IP68? For premium prices? Fuuuck that.
I think I'll take a chance on an unlocked Sarnsung next year, before paying a $300 premium just for two years of OS upgrades.

Why is waterproofing such a big deal in phones all the sudden? It's not new. Is it really even useful?

Also, who is paying extra for the 128gb? How could you max out 32? Google photos clears out space as needed without losing access, and Google music intelligently caches. What are people doing with their phones that they need 128 gd gb?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

Why is waterproofing such a big deal in phones all the sudden? It's not new. Is it really even useful?

I use my phone outside in a very wet and rainy place (Vancouver, BC), I take it on hikes in rainforests, I go camping near lakes and water, I even have it out on tables in bars and pubs where there is a high spill risk. So yes, being waterproof is incredibly useful. It's new in that it's becoming a more commonplace feature on premium flagship phones, it's very awesome.

As for the storage, 32gb on my Nexus 6P was way too small, I was constantly running out of space and having to un-pin Google Music playlists, delete apps, etc. 64GB is the minimum for me now, or 32 plus an SD card (lol).

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Oct 3, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Keep in mind that a native nougat phone is going to have double storage used for system due to the dual partitions for seamless updates.

Seeing as how Nougat on the 5x already takes up 8gb of storage, that 32gb Pixel likely only has 16gb of storage out of the box.

Turns out the real reason for them nixing the 16gb model is that the OS likely wouldn't have fit.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Oct 3, 2016

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Keep in mind that a native nougat phone is going to have double storage used for system due to the dual partitions for seamless updates.

Seeing as how Nougat on the 5x already takes up 8gb of storage, that 32gb Pixel likely only has 16gb of storage out of the box.

Turns out the real reason for them nixing the 16gb model is that the OS likely wouldn't have fit.

Eek, good point.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I use my phone outside in a very wet and rainy place (Vancouver, BC), I take it on hikes in rainforests, I go camping near lakes and water, I even have it out on tables in bars and pubs where there is a high spill risk. So yes, being waterproof is incredibly useful. It's new in that it's becoming a more commonplace feature on premium flagship phones, it's very awesome.

As for the storage, 32gb on my Nexus 6P was way too small, I was constantly running out of space and having to un-pin Google Music playlists, delete apps, etc. 64GB is the minimum for me now, or 32 plus an SD card (lol).

Using it in the rain is a good point. You'd think I'd be all over that, I live in Seattle and walk to work.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

Also, who is paying extra for the 128gb? How could you max out 32? Google photos clears out space as needed without losing access, and Google music intelligently caches. What are people doing with their phones that they need 128 gd gb?

Dust resistance is actually relevant to my job, and honestly; if Apple, Sony, and Samsung can do it, among others- what's stopping Google? Why should I pay $300 more than an OP3/Axon 7 and not get it?
As for why 128gb is needed, it's simple; most of the music I like simply isn't available via streaming, and HD video recording eats up memory lickety-split.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'm not seeing a compelling reason to upgrade from the 6p really, thankfully because it looks like it's going to be hella expensive.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'd get a Pixel if it was much much cheaper than the $600 price point that's rumored.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

ilkhan posted:

These aren't perfect, obviously, but some comparisons.
Pixel vs 5X vs iPhone7 http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Google-Pixel,Google-Nexus-5X,Apple-iPhone-7/phones/10264,9593,9815
Pixel XL vs 6P vs iPhone 7+ http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Google-Pixel-XL,Google-Nexus-6P,Apple-iPhone-7-Plus/phones/10263,9587,9816

The Pixel units are a little smaller (couple mm each in height/width) than the Nexus units (yay!). Both Pixel units are a little lighter than their Nexus counterparts (168g vs 178g, 143g vs 147g). Internals are the identical, except for battery size and screen size/resolution (finally!). Screen to body ratio is *slightly* less on the XL than the 6P, but I'll gladly take the smaller dimensions (though front speakers would have been really nice). They look boring, but they are gonna sit in a matte black case anyway, so who cares? Camera looks to be pretty much the same as last year. 12MP f/2.0 unit with 1.55μm pixels. The iPhone camera is f/1.8, but it has slightly smaller pixels so they should be pretty identical again. Front image stabilization would be nice, but I haven't seen specs on that yet.

Really, its going to come down to pricing for me. If its sane, I'll upgrade. If its not, I'll probably still upgrade.

I'm not interested in anything else Google is announcing on Tuesday (Home/Chromecast-4k/router/etc), so its just the phone for me.

Source for dimensions/weight not on the comparison page: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Final-Google-Pixel-and-Google-Pixel-XL-specs-are-posted-by-Carphone-Warehouse_id86068

I don't know, it seems crazy to pay $600+ to upgrade for a better processor and practically nothing else. I'll just wait until 2017 to upgrade my 5x.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Yea, I'm skipping this year's Nexus, Pixel or whatever the hell. Google's been fumbling about with lots of their products and this ex-Nexus phone is yet another casualty.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Can anyone recommend an app that can:
A) Export all the data in a contact to vcf (including organization, custom labels...)
B) Export only from the local phone "account"
?
Because I've been looking and trying and I can't find any app that does all of the above and it's loving killing me.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I'm really hoping Google pulls something jaw dropping out of their rear end, just because of all the people here saying "I'm definitely skipping this year" when it hasn't been announced.

That being said, unless Google pulls something jaw dropping out of their rear end, I'll be skipping this year, too, and I'll probably pick up a cheaper phone to replace my N5. Maybe a 5x, maybe a 6p, I dunno.

Coco Rodreguiz
Jan 12, 2007

Peckerhead isn't used enough as an insult if you ask me.
I have the original droid turbo. Should I get the pixel or go for something else?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I am excited for tomorrow because my X Pure's battery holds about 80% of capacity and the Home/Wifi stuff is interesting to me and I hope the speakers have Home built in and :toot:

*waves pennant that reads "Global Brand"*

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Coco Rodreguiz posted:

I have the original droid turbo. Should I get the pixel or go for something else?

Ask again tomorrow afternoon.

We know the specs of the new Pixel phones and have a leaked pricepoint. Until they are actually presented tomorrow, we won't know more.

Interestingly enough, it looks like these phones are going to be available through Verizon which is actually making me pause a little as I can't imagine it coming through that partnership unscathed.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I'd rather see shock than water resistant phones. Covering phones from rain is ez but you're bound to drop the phone sooner or later, and then regret you bought a phone made from flimsy metal and glass.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ihmemies posted:

I'd rather see shock than water resistant phones. Covering phones from rain is ez but you're bound to drop the phone sooner or later, and then regret you bought a phone made from flimsy metal and glass.
Introducing Pixel, the world's first phone with integrated protective marshmallow coating.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Powers posted:

I'm really hoping Google pulls something jaw dropping out of their rear end, just because of all the people here saying "I'm definitely skipping this year" when it hasn't been announced.

That being said, unless Google pulls something jaw dropping out of their rear end, I'll be skipping this year, too, and I'll probably pick up a cheaper phone to replace my N5. Maybe a 5x, maybe a 6p, I dunno.

Hopefully the 5x discount with Fi activation carries over to one of the new models

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
My fingerprint sensor on my 5x stopped working... I'm working out of town so I'll have to troubleshoot in 10 hours, if that doesn't work I'll try to RMA.

Anyone else experience this?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ihmemies posted:

Actual shockproof phones would be enormous and no one would buy them. The handful of people who actually care enough can buy cases.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Hrmm, yeah, unless this thing comes with a poison dart launcher or something else wonderful I think I'm going to go for the oneplus3, even though i really didn't want a larger form factor phone.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Yeah, it's seeming more and more likely I'll have to resign myself to a OP3 or (hopefully) cheap 6P. My N5 completely died 2 weeks ago and I've been using a friend's spare OP1 which hasn't been bad. I realize the only thing I'm really gaining for 90% of my usage is a faster processor and updated OS. The other things don't seem to justify a $200+ premium.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
Telling that with the leaked Pixel promo information there's no mention of 'The Big Thing'. So it's looking more and more like something half-arsed rather than anything else.

I need a Nexus 4 replacement dammit. It was only supposed to be a thing for a few weeks until the 'early' new nexus launch and now it's October and the Pixel looks underwhelming and over bezelled priced.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Mr. Powers posted:

I've been very happy with my 5x, but it's just on the cusp of obnoxiously little RAM. I'd love a marginally updated version even if the price is higher by whatever another gig of memory costs....but lol if google really charges $600.

Shannow posted:

Hrmm, yeah, unless this thing comes with a poison dart launcher or something else wonderful I think I'm going to go for the oneplus3, even though i really didn't want a larger form factor phone.

I just want to be able to call in drone strikes on other commuters.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I've been very happy with my 5x, but it's just on the cusp of obnoxiously little RAM. I'd love a marginally updated version even if the price is higher by whatever another gig of memory costs....but lol if google really charges $600.
Agreed on the ram thing. Theres no reason maps+music should have *any* trouble staying in memory after a fresh reboot.

I think it'll depend on price for me. And really, what other alternatives are there? The second tier phones are second tier for a reason, and the other flagships all cost just as much. Maybe if iPhone 7 had gone to type-C...

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

ilkhan posted:

Agreed on the ram thing. Theres no reason maps+music should have *any* trouble staying in memory after a fresh reboot.

I think it'll depend on price for me. And really, what other alternatives are there? The second tier phones are second tier for a reason, and the other flagships all cost just as much. Maybe if iPhone 7 had gone to type-C...

The ZTE Axon 7 and One plus 3 have almost the same specs at 200-300 USD less.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

When I destroyed my Nexus 5 trying to replace the battery I bought a new Nexus 5 to replace it from Amazon at $150. Honestly, now that the battery works fine I'm back to feeling how I did when the 5x/6P came out: happy with the phone I have and unwilling to compromise to buy another. Unless there's something very compelling about the Pixel I'll probably see if I can get another year out of my N5. Truth be told, with Rick Osterloh in charge of Google hardware now I expect next year's Pixels to have a style of their own and not look like a recycled budget HTC from a year ago.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The Pixel phones are made by htc, and don't even come with grip tape. :argh:

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I don't mind the design. I don't buy phones for style, even though I did really like the look of my One X. I just want an appreciable upgrade over my N5 and at $650 I want some feature to make it worth my moneys.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Shannow posted:

Dart support has been in the Android API since the Weaponized Kitkat beta (you should have seen the on-campus statue for that one).

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Dart support has been in the Android API since the Weaponized Kitkat beta (you should have seen the on-campus statue for that one).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_Tactical_Assault_Kit

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Okay, I totally give up on extrapolative jokes. Presumably the weaponized version is able to identify itself to GPS satellites as "I'm official, don't fuzz the coordinates".

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Rebels in Syria were literally calling in US airstrikes with pins in Google maps.

http://www.businessinsider.com/kurds-coordinating-airstrikes-with-google-maps-2015-8?IR=T

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nitrousoxide posted:

Rebels in Syria were literally calling in US airstrikes with pins in Google maps.

http://www.businessinsider.com/kurds-coordinating-airstrikes-with-google-maps-2015-8?IR=T
They use a Samsung tablet because it doubles as an IED.