Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

That was a disturbing LP for me. It made me realize that I had internalized so much of D2's graphics that I didn't need to watch it, just listen for the attacks and death sounds while doing something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
Shot in the dark, but I remember seeing a post on the sandcastle a while back and later a thread where the poster was playing a different famicom/super famicom(?) game every episode and doing a commentary and retrospective on each game. I'm straining here to remember, but iirc the first episode was some kind of Zelda-type game of a samurai running around with throwing knives, and a later one was a kind of 2d qbert-like puzzle game. I think each episode was ~30 min but I'm not sure.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Was it Please W A I T: Let's Play with the Famicom Disk System! by Lolo De Puzlo? Pity he hasn't updated it since December of last year.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I just finished watching both LPs of SIREN that are ongoing right now and they're both amazing and scary, and well, now I want more to watch while I wait for updates.

What are some of the scariest LPs on the forums or on youtube? Finished or unfinished, subtitles or no, I just want something spooky and interesting.

Note: I've been through Niggurath's LPs (they are great) and the various Silent Hill LPs.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Outlast really does it for me.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

senrath posted:

Was it Please W A I T: Let's Play with the Famicom Disk System! by Lolo De Puzlo? Pity he hasn't updated it since December of last year.
Holy poo poo you people are good.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

StrixNebulosa posted:

I just finished watching both LPs of SIREN that are ongoing right now and they're both amazing and scary, and well, now I want more to watch while I wait for updates.

What are some of the scariest LPs on the forums or on youtube? Finished or unfinished, subtitles or no, I just want something spooky and interesting.

Note: I've been through Niggurath's LPs (they are great) and the various Silent Hill LPs.
I always thought that Chip's LP of Condemned and Frenzy's LP of Condemned 2 could be fairly tense horror games that were very well LP'ed, though yeah, they tend to go off the rails a bit in the sequel. And yeah, DumbRodent who did the Outlast LP also did a pretty good LP of Dead Space 1. Or you could watch Kamoc's LP of it which I heard was fairly good.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I haven't seen the Outlast LP or the Condemned LPs, thank you! I've been through Dead Space, though - the first one was spooky, the second one was just gross alas.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

StrixNebulosa posted:

I haven't seen the Outlast LP or the Condemned LPs, thank you! I've been through Dead Space, though - the first one was spooky, the second one was just gross alas.
Also I'm wracking my brain to remember, but I think someone recently started to do the The Suffering and that was always a good spooky game (though egomaniac's videos on the archive are ummmm very hard to watch).

VVVVV
Aye, that's it; just couldn't remember.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 25, 2016

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Niggurath posted:

Also I'm wracking my brain to remember, but I think someone recently started to do the The Suffering and that was always a good spooky game (though egomaniac's videos on the archive are ummmm very hard to watch).

Do you mean Iron Chitlin's LP?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Niggurath posted:

Ah, 2008 LP standards. I admit I couldn't get through his early Siren videos due to everything being so dark and fuzzy. Hence why I'm so glad he's doing it now - the game is fantastic and I'd never get to experience it without LPs.

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

I seem to remember Cryostasis being pretty good. And subtitled.

Penumbra was also great, and also subtitled.

Both of these are going to depend on your tolerance for 2009 SA LP quality. If that's a nonstarter then I'd still try to find a Youtube LP or something of the Penumbra games since those were legitimately creepy.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I'm looking for a super long LP. Like, super long. At the detriment of quality, long.
The best I can find is:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeCMeVH84_A
... Which I've watched in its entirety.

There was also a Romance of Three Kingdoms LP by a quiet dude. It went on for like three hundred 30 minute episodes and when he finally finished he was like. "So yeah. Cool."

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
SleepCycles on YouTube has like 500+ Nuclear Throne videos, if you want to see the same 16 levels played over and over again.

The XCOM: Long War LP has 121 missions so far, and several of the missions are multi-part videos.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lampsacus posted:

I'm looking for a super long LP. Like, super long. At the detriment of quality, long.

There was also a Romance of Three Kingdoms LP by a quiet dude. It went on for like three hundred 30 minute episodes and when he finally finished he was like. "So yeah. Cool."

Grey Hunter LP'd the entirety of the United States' Pacific campaign during World War II in real time.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Off the forums, there's the rather neat Far Lands Or Bust LP:

http://farlandsorbust.com/

Basically, this guy is using an old beta of Minecraft where at some point millions of kilometers out from the center the procedural land generator breaks and causes a weird glitched hellscape that acts as the end of the world. He's WALKING there. Has been doing so for years now and it'll probably take him a few more decades at this pace to get there.

It's a years-long charity drive and he's still bringing in the money so I'm cool with it. Latest episode is #610. And almost every episode is just walking walking walking.

I'm also reminded of NorthernLion Binding of Isaac letsplays. Those just keep going and going. He started renumbering after ever major game update so I don't even know how many episodes there are exactly (there is something weird going on with the numbers in the playlists), but there seem to be over a thousand.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=northernlion+isaac

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Lampsacus posted:

RunButton are well into playing every Sonic and Mario game ever made (over 200 and 100 videos respectively)

if you don't mind something subtitled, BrainWeasel's LP of FFXII IZJS was absolutely inspired, and is well worth reading the thread for, because he had people write "assignments" for the "class" he was teaching through the LP

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction, nine-gear crow, Carbon dioxide and morallyobjected thank you so much! Especially for RunButton and a reminder of Grey Hunter's LP.

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012
"Super long LP"

Scruffy has 100% completion played through all 4 of the batman games which all really line up together to feel like one mega LP of one mega game. It's also just a wonderful viewing experience because the story is riveting, the gameplay is just nice to look at, and he explores the countless hours of easter eggs and bonus content hidden away in those games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?Scruffy201?playlists

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

They're split up across several lists, but Smite has done like, what feels like probably 5 or 6 full playthroughs of Civ 5, sometimes with Catsworth in multiplayer.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Scaramouche posted:

They're split up across several lists, but Smite has done like, what feels like probably 5 or 6 full playthroughs of Civ 5, sometimes with Catsworth in multiplayer.

Its all in one playlist luckily! https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVzW5E8pn2CMtYKKpfWevBLKSXnlQHfWR There's like a 182 videos in there cuz smite just streamed that poo poo for like a year

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Anyone know of decent LPers who play competently at Battlefleet Gothic Armada? Will also accept someone who LPs Romance of the Three Kingdoms games, the guy who mentioned it above got me in the mood for that.

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 28, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

StrixNebulosa posted:

You seen Soma by davidspackage?

It's drat good and both spooky and interesting

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Which one was the group of silly people who were doing a comedy LP of Legend of Grimrock? The first game, specifically. I know about the TheStrawHatNo LP of the second one.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
you're probably thinking of Iron Chitlin's, complete with accordion

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

morallyobjected posted:

you're probably thinking of Iron Chitlin's, complete with accordion

Danke.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

morallyobjected posted:

complete with accordion

Few times I have clicked on something so fast in my life.

/edit: I'm gonna echo this request while I'm here:

Verranicus posted:

Anyone know of decent LPers who play competently at Battlefleet Gothic Armada?

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 1, 2016

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Someone tell me what the good LPs are for recent touhou games, basically anything from Ten Desires on

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Is there a good horror/mystery/story-heavy LP out there in video form?

I've already seen The Void, SOMA, Amnesia, Ethan Carter, etc. Stuff in the vein of Niggurath is good but he's got a lot to pick from and it's hard to tell at a glance which games are interesting and which ones have a lot of walking around slowly and nothing in particular happening.

Alternatively - recommend an LP with lots of bad/terrible cutscenes, much like that Ride to Hell Retribution game.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

bewilderment posted:

I've already seen The Void, SOMA, Amnesia, Ethan Carter, etc. Stuff in the vein of Niggurath is good but he's got a lot to pick from and it's hard to tell at a glance which games are interesting and which ones have a lot of walking around slowly and nothing in particular happening.

Alternatively - recommend an LP with lots of bad/terrible cutscenes, much like that Ride to Hell Retribution game.

Both LPs of SIREN are fantastic and I'd say they're what you're looking for. The Egomaniac LP is subtitled and focused on the plot and preserving the atmosphere, the SGF one is a little lighter as he points out how....silly some of the game objectives can be. The game itself is atmospheric, terrifying, and there's the mystery of what exactly is going on in this remote mountain village.

Mind you, both LPs are unfinished but they update regularly and Egomaniac's LP is pretty close to being done - or you could watch his old fuzzy LP of the game in the archives.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

StrixNebulosa posted:

Both LPs of SIREN are fantastic and I'd say they're what you're looking for. The Egomaniac LP is subtitled and focused on the plot and preserving the atmosphere, the SGF one is a little lighter as he points out how....silly some of the game objectives can be. The game itself is atmospheric, terrifying, and there's the mystery of what exactly is going on in this remote mountain village.

Mind you, both LPs are unfinished but they update regularly and Egomaniac's LP is pretty close to being done - or you could watch his old fuzzy LP of the game in the archives.

Unfortunately, SIREN was one of those I tried but found just a bit too dull with the amount of waiting done in the game. Tense to play, but not as fun to watch.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

bewilderment posted:

Mystery wise, there's a fair bit of mystery (And some horror elements), with a fair amount of story in the Folklore LP, by Nidoking. Celto-Gaelic myth in a JRPG game about the Fae realm intersecting with the human one, murders... It's got a fair bit to recommend it, including yak about the mythology in question.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bewilderment posted:

Retsuprae has a bunch of lovely FMV games Dracula Unleashed is a relatively recent and shorter one.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!
I'm looking for some recent LPs of the GBA and DS Castlevania games, as after perusing what's on the Archive, most of them didn't have any Youtube links as they were hosted on Blip or other old video hosting sites that are no longer around. Browsing the Master List didn't bring up much else either. Are there any from the forums archives that would be good watching? I want to say there was an Aria of Sorrow LP a year or two ago but at the time it never crossed my mind to check it, and now I find myself in the mood for Metroidvanias.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ArclightBorealis posted:

I'm looking for some recent LPs of the GBA and DS Castlevania games, as after perusing what's on the Archive, most of them didn't have any Youtube links as they were hosted on Blip or other old video hosting sites that are no longer around. Browsing the Master List didn't bring up much else either. Are there any from the forums archives that would be good watching? I want to say there was an Aria of Sorrow LP a year or two ago but at the time it never crossed my mind to check it, and now I find myself in the mood for Metroidvanias.

Someone on youtube rehosted Garin's Aria of Sorrow LP here. I haven't seen any of the others that are in the archives, but ARavingLoon streamed all of the GBA/DS games as part of his Draculhour series here.

e: There's also this playlist of a SotN luck run I think somebody linked here before, which I've enjoyed so far. Link

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!

dogsicle posted:

Someone on youtube rehosted Garin's Aria of Sorrow LP here. I haven't seen any of the others that are in the archives, but ARavingLoon streamed all of the GBA/DS games as part of his Draculhour series here.

e: There's also this playlist of a SotN luck run I think somebody linked here before, which I've enjoyed so far. Link
Thank you. This should definitely keep me busy. I'll probably save the SotN one for much later since I'm already going through that game myself, but the rest of these are nice.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Someones gotta know of some good Battlefleet Gothica players out there besides FilthyRobot. poo poo both fascinates me and helps me get to sleep.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

ArclightBorealis posted:

I remember these being pretty fun, and they have Youtube links, just click the game image instead of the "blip mirror" next to it.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

What are some good Paradox game LPs? I remember loving a few that I found here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Ulio posted:

What are some good Paradox game LPs? I remember loving a few that I found here.

Not 100% Paradox, but here's one that follows the Goths from Total War: Atilla, through Crusader Kings 2 and is making the transition into EU4: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3716022. Hope you like Rome(s).