Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Can't think what else the royal canadian artillery would use that looks like that other than a priest.

E: Wait, no, looks more like a sexton: It's missing the ridges around the vision slots for carrying stuff and the gun's on the wrong side, also no MG cupola. And it's got that sticky out bit in the middle around the gun.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Yep. It doesn't have the cylindrical pulpit, or the hydraulic tube over the gun.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

xthetenth posted:

Yep. It doesn't have the cylindrical pulpit, or the hydraulic tube over the gun.

And considering it doesn't wear a mitre, one wonders more about the nickname.

Torbo
Jun 12, 2007

Kemper Boyd posted:

I drunkenly explained ww2 carrier combat once to someone as two boxers who both throw a right hook at each other while hoping they manage to block the other guy's blow.

Ian W. Toll, author of Pacific Crucible, described carriers as boxers with a very long reach, stone hands, and a glass chin. Seems very accurate.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SeanBeansShako posted:

And considering it doesn't wear a mitre, one wonders more about the nickname.

That's because the Bishop has it.

AKA "Why is there a KV2 in North Africa?"

Apparently we really liked this naming scheme and so used it for the Bishop, Sexton, Priest, and Deacon SPGs.

E: Speaking of the Priest I can't get over how loving weird the M3 was, as a tank.

It looks like it was designed by a committee of drunk Orks.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 2, 2016

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
The US Bureau of Ordnance was really into cramming extra machine guns on tanks for a while.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

E: Speaking of the Priest I can't get over how loving weird the M3 was, as a tank.

It looks like it was designed by a committee of drunk Orks.

Multi-level armament was still in vogue at the time.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Thanks to all on the ID assist, that had been bugging me for a while.

OwlFancier posted:

the Bishop

:eyepop:

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

MarsellusWallace posted:

There's a good reason BB shells had so much other *stuff* in them instead of additional explosive - it was needed to punch through the armor plate. Mortars and HE artillery rounds often had significantly more explosive power then the best antiship shells.

While I don't know a whole lot about modern antiship missiles (or torpedoes which I'd imagine are pretty potent now) I'd love to hear about it! I've got to imagine they're either using incredible velocity or HEAT shaped charges.

Bear in mind that armor (designed to resist the high-velocity kinetic forces induced by a shell impact) tends to be brittle under explosive loading. You see this being a problem sometimes during WWII with torpedo impacts, as in the case of HMS Indomitable: An Italian aerial torpedo struck at the bottom of the side armor, pieces of which broke off and passed through the torpedo protection system and into a boiler room.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Polikarpov posted:

The US Bureau of Ordnance was really into cramming extra machine guns on tanks for a while.

Still do, the Abrams has 3 MGs (coax, Commander, Loader) where most other tanks only have two. They might have changed that in later versions.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

ArchangeI posted:

Still do, the Abrams has 3 MGs (coax, Commander, Loader) where most other tanks only have two. They might have changed that in later versions.

With the TUSK (Tank Urban Survival Kit) there is also a possibility for another .50 cal coaxial placed on top of the main gun, making it 4.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Polikarpov posted:

Wasn't there also one tank design that had two machine guns fixed directly to the front hull with no traverse in any direction whatsoever? That's downright orky, just spraying bullets in the general cardinal direction of the enemy.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Perestroika posted:

Wasn't there also one tank design that had two machine guns fixed directly to the front hull with no traverse in any direction whatsoever? That's downright orky, just spraying bullets in the general cardinal direction of the enemy.

Yeah, the M2 light tank and early versions of M3 Stuart did this. 5 machineguns altogether.

M2 Medium Tank however had nine machineguns, including two rear-facing machineguns with deflector plates so that when the tank would cross trenches the bullets would be deflected down. I suspect this tank was designed by Browning Arms Company to boost sales.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The early M3 mediums also had the fixed dual bow MGs, but they realised that there are plenty on the tank as it stood and that everyone was too busy to bother with them.

OwlFancier posted:

Apparently we really liked this naming scheme and so used it for the Bishop, Sexton, Priest, and Deacon SPGs.
The current SPG that isn't the M109 is the Abbot, based on the FV.432.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 2, 2016

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

Bear in mind that armor (designed to resist the high-velocity kinetic forces induced by a shell impact) tends to be brittle under explosive loading. You see this being a problem sometimes during WWII with torpedo impacts, as in the case of HMS Indomitable: An Italian aerial torpedo struck at the bottom of the side armor, pieces of which broke off and passed through the torpedo protection system and into a boiler room.

Subsurface explosive effects are extremely different (and quite a bit more destructive than) explosive effects in air.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Arquinsiel posted:

The early M3 mediums also had the fixed dual bow MGs, but they realised that there are plenty on the tank as it stood and that everyone was too busy to bother with them.

The T6 (Sherman prototype) and pilot M4 also had the two machineguns, but they got rid of them, very, very quickly.

Also for some bizarre reason the Soviets decided to shower the IS-7 with machineguns: one coax 14.5 mm, two coax 7.62 mm, one AA 14.5 mm, and four 7.62 mm fixed on the hull and turret, two of them firing backwards.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

Wasn't you mean, it's the AS-90 now, though I guess the Indians are still using them.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

feedmegin posted:

Wasn't you mean, it's the AS-90 now, though I guess the Indians are still using them.
poo poo, yeah, it was retired mid-90s.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Get on with the times and roll out the Rabbi, Ayatollah, Guru and Atheist Professor SPGs!

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Nenonen posted:

Get on with the times and roll out the Rabbi, Ayatollah, Guru and Atheist Professor SPGs!

The heresiarch SPG can't come soon enough.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Nenonen posted:

I hear the Atheist Professor SPGs can get knocked out by a Marine with a sufficiently strong right hook though

I read that in an email somewhere

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

ArchangeI posted:

I hear the Atheist Professor SPGs can get knocked out by a Marine with a sufficiently strong right hook though

War Nerd, right?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

ArchangeI posted:

And then Einstein invented the atomic bomb and clapped.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Pontius Pilate posted:

And then Einstein invented the atomic bomb and clapped.

Can I suggest a name change to : Pontius Pilates

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

No one messes with the Atheist Professor. Part man. Part machine. All roboprofessor. The future of academia.

And might as well leave this here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpTSp5ArKfQ

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Ensign Expendable posted:

The T6 (Sherman prototype) and pilot M4 also had the two machineguns, but they got rid of them, very, very quickly.

Also for some bizarre reason the Soviets decided to shower the IS-7 with machineguns: one coax 14.5 mm, two coax 7.62 mm, one AA 14.5 mm, and four 7.62 mm fixed on the hull and turret, two of them firing backwards.

The strv m/42 originally had a forward facing hull machine gun mounted to the right of the driver, where the radio operator in a Panther would sit. Except... there was no such crew member in the m/42. It's just a machine gun with nobody there to fire it - there's not even a seat for it, the only thing under it is an ammo rack. To fire it, either the loader has to slide down from the turret and lean over the ammo rack, or the driver has to lean way over from his seat to handle it.

As far as I can tell from minutes of meeting it was concluded that the tank should have four machine guns, and that a hull machine gun had been useful on the WW1 era strv m/21-29, but that adding a fifth crew member would add at least another 100 kg to the tank, and their strict weight budget didn't allow for that. So... they voted on it and said yes, it should have four machine guns, and four crew members. And there it went, four machine guns it had when it was delivered (the fourth one is pointing backwards in the turret). The hull MG was rarely mounted on field exercises though and it disappeared entirely within a few years, and the port where it had been was welded over.

Considering that the thing was basically designed by cargo culting committee in a few months in 1941 it actually turned out surprisingly well, but you still got a few oddball issues like this one.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 3, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The BMP3 also has two bow machineguns for some odd reason. I guess it sort of makes sense for an IFV but I wouldn't want to be the two buggers who had to sit in it while it was close enough to the enemy to use them.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

BMPs also have rifle ports so all passengers can participate in the drive-by shooting. Which makes more sense when you remember the original idea of mechanized formations having to drive through an NBC inferno where any footmen would have to be wearing heavy hazmat suits and so would be disadvantaged.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Nebakenezzer posted:

Can I suggest a name change to : Pontius Pilates

It's been a regret for a while that I didn't register as that but name changes are too rich for my blood.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Im working through the last thread but this

quote:

Yeah the US is really going to regret it when those Mexican tank divisions start pushing up through Texas in 2020.

should have been a Clancy novel

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
A few pages ago but:

OwlFancier posted:

The RN can arguably lay claim to having the oldest ship in the world still kicking around, though I don't know if it's still in commission.

I want to know everything about the HMS Diamond Rock :allears:

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

MarsellusWallace posted:

There's a good reason BB shells had so much other *stuff* in them instead of additional explosive - it was needed to punch through the armor plate.

By "other stuff" you mean hardened steel -- a 2700-pound AP shell was 98% hardened steel, a sheetmetal aerodynamic cover, a soft steel nosecap, and 50lb of RDX.

And it's moving at about the speed of a .30-cal rifle bullet. That's 355Mj muzzle energy. I can't easily find a comparison, but y'know how TV shows frame things in car crash equivalents? It's like a smallish car going 1700mph. The bursting charge is just a "gently caress you" afterthought once it lodges inside the ship.

For comparison, HMS Victory's entire broadside was about half the weight of one shell from a 16" gun.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cliff notes (:v:) of the story is the RN were having a tiff with France (something about Napoleon but frankly like the RN needs an excuse to shoot the French) near Martinique. Diamond rock sits off the coast at the western arm of the large southern bay of the island and overlooks the strait between Martinique and St Lucia.

The RN sends a fella by the name of Commodore Hood to blockade the place and generally annoy the French, again not entirely sure the Napoleonic wars were necessary for this but supposedly that's the rationale they used. So Hood sails about in his ship Centaur generally being a dick. He's visiting the rock because it's got some greens that the crew can eat to keep the scurvy away and eventually decides to lug a pair of 18lb cannons up onto the rock and fortify it. He commissions it as a sloop of war and assigns his second lieutenant to command it. They also stick a few 24lb cannons in caves around the rock and basically decide to pre-enact the movie Guns of Navarone, shooting up anything passing between the rock and Martinique proper, and using the high elevation of the rock to take potshots at anything that tries to get near them from the south.

Having fortified the rock and stashed a good amount of supplies on it (including some goats) he writes to the admiralty telling them about his awesome new "ship" and it basically becomes a thorn in French-controlled Martinique's side for about 18 months, as it makes it a right pain in the arse to get around the south side of the island. The French try to set up a mortar battery on Martinique to shell the poo poo out of the rock, but a group of slaves tells the garrison about it, they lead a sortie out and capture the only engineer on the island so that never happens.

Eventually, French high command gets really sick of this bullshit and sends 16 ships out to get the drat rock back. Alas, the actual battle also goes rather like the Guns of Navarone in that the French assault goes pretty well because the garrison runs out of ammo and water very quickly and surrenders. Also they had 16 ships blowing the crap out of the rock as well.

The guy in charge of the rock is court martialed for "losing his ship to the enemy" but they acquit him on the grounds that it's fairly reasonable to lose 16 to 1.

All in all the French didn't try much to attack the place and when they finally took it they mostly did so by besieging it. It's more funny for the idea of a rock being treated like a ship than anything though the RN does this sort of by habit with a lot of their land installations. Though as the RN also once upon a time did a lot of their home operations on hulked ships moored permanently in port that does make a certain sense, they just kept their names when they moved them onto land, and it saved on updating the legislation too.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

OwlFancier posted:

Cliff notes (:v:)

That is all very fascinating. Thank you

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
Stone frigates are a neat tradition from the Royal Navy that some of her offshoots have inherited that sounds insane when you first hear about it: the Devonport Naval Base in Auckland is commissioned as HMNZS Philomel and the RNZN used to operate a communications station several hundred kilometres inland called HMNZS Irirangi.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

The guy in charge of the rock is court martialed for "losing his ship to the enemy" but they acquit him on the grounds that it's fairly reasonable to lose 16 to 1.

I doubt that an admiralty court would have had any authority to rule on a freeman on the land. The flag had a golden fringe, right?

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

But the court martial didn't acquit one of the other officers for the unforgivable act of eating a meal with the ship's company rather than in the 'wardroom' (a tent a few yards away). He was reprimanded but his field promotion to lieutenant was substantiated and he was later given command of a brig so there was some leniancy.

RN ships passing Diamond Rock still dip their ensigns and man the sides in salute to this day. I'm pretty sure the rock is no longer considered 'in comission' these days, though.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Nenonen posted:

BMPs also have rifle ports so all passengers can participate in the drive-by shooting. Which makes more sense when you remember the original idea of mechanized formations having to drive through an NBC inferno where any footmen would have to be wearing heavy hazmat suits and so would be disadvantaged.

I never quite understood that logic. Were the gunports sealed in any way? It sounds like it would just produce openings for the VX to seep in, forcing anyone inside to still wear full MOPP gear.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

This is routine, btw. Lose your ship, get court martialled, no matter the circumstances; if you lost it honourably it's a formality.

Edit: I would assume they're sealed, yeah, some kind of rubber hood or whatever, otherwise what would be the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Nenonen posted:

Wait wait wait

Were you supposed to wear hazmat suits inside a loving BMP

:stonk: