Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Phi230 posted:

:siren: IDIOTIC MILLENIALS RE-THINK THE STAR WARS PREQUELS :siren:

Millennial trash discussion station.

quote:

Being young enough to be able to rethink long held beliefs is really nice and probably would have saved the Jedi.

They really should have said "nah we're good" to the child slaver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

teagone posted:

I loved The Force Awakens and I also enjoyed the Plinkett's new review. I'm a Star Wars fan.

I liked the previous reviews well enough, but the first 15 minutes(!) of this one is spent declaring George Lucas lazy. Over and over again. Pictures of Lucas sitting on chairs, while a voiceover declares him lazy.

It's a total waste of time.

e: The actual review starts one hour in.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I liked the previous reviews well enough, but the first 15 minutes(!) of this one is spent declaring George Lucas lazy. Over and over again. Pictures of Lucas sitting on chairs, while a voiceover declares him lazy.

And we're supposed to think Lucas PLANNED this? No, he just decided to do it and then did it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I was about to say it's been half an hour now

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
There's a pretty high correlation between people complaining about the Plinkett review's first hour and people who defend the prequels

its almost like the critique of the bad culture of star wars is directed at those people i dunno

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Hmmm, it's almost as if the sequels to the Pinkett reviews are bad because Plinkett "got a big head" and "surrounded himself with yes-men" and "sold out"

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Hmmm, it's almost as if the sequels to the Pinkett reviews are bad because Plinkett "got a big head" and "surrounded himself with yes-men" and "sold out"

don't forget alcoholic

Vegg220
Sep 2, 2016

by 2017 exmarx
who would have guessed that cinema discusso posters would get mad at something that criticized dumb pretentious fanboys who make up convoluted theories to defend trash films for morons

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The review says almost nothing about The Force Awakens either. Remember how the prequel reviews involved, like, breaking down the special effects? Talking about the narrative structure, and the editing, etc.?

There's none of that here. The prequels reviews were misguided but at least provided food for thought. This sucks.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Vegg220 posted:

who would have guessed that cinema discusso posters would get mad at something that criticized dumb pretentious fanboys who make up convoluted theories to defend trash films for morons

Da motherfuckin Tezzor

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yeah it's mostly bitching about top ten lists.

CGI dudes have come a long way from CGI Peter Cushing though, wow. I thought that looked really good at the time.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Phi230 posted:

There's a pretty high correlation between people complaining about the Plinkett review's first hour and people who defend the prequels

its almost like the critique of the bad culture of star wars is directed at those people i dunno

Vegg220 posted:

Can you dudes actually point out the posters who think they're superior beings for liking the prequels?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Anyone who regged in 2016 is Tezzor

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
This review is two hours of an e-celeb complaining that the Internet has changed since he got famous.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Hat Thoughts posted:

Anyone who regged in 2016 is Tezzor

teh z0r

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Not sure what's so hard to grasp about the Plinkett review. Yeah he spends a lot of time on that Ring theory bullshit, but whatever. It did sound like bullshit. Anyway, I think his point about TFA is that it was well-crafted and entertaining and just fine, but it was basically fan service and by-the-numbers. The prequels were much more of a trainwreck but at least Lucas was doing poo poo that hadn't been done before. TFA just gave us another Death Star, just like Return/Jedi did.

That's not to say that TFA didn't do some good stuff: Finn is interesting as a former Stormtrooper who breaks free, the stuff with Kylo Ren is interesting, Rey is pretty good, Poe Dameron is good. Hopefully Episode 7 takes these characters and does new things with them. But we can just as easily get a retread of Empire Strikes Back.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I wish the review didn't ever get to discussing TFA and was just an epilogue to the other reviews.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

To be fair, it's an all encompassing review of the current state of Star Wars as a franchise/money making machine featuring a review of The Force Awakens. Hence the title of the video.

teagone fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Oct 3, 2016

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Ring Theory is dumb but less because it's justifying inherently bad movies! and more because it's acting like the basic concepts of themes and motifs are some kind of literature revolution.

Plinkett basically spends something like half an hour just reading the poo poo on Ring Theory's website to you ad nauseam in this video, and then just plays that good ol' "It's like poetry" quote and acts like that disproves it all - when one of the fatal flaws of the Plinkett reviews is that, even if you didn't like the prequels, there's nothing wrong with that quote.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pirate Jet posted:

Ring Theory is dumb but less because it's justifying inherently bad movies! and more because it's acting like the basic concepts of themes and motifs are some kind of literature revolution.

Plinkett basically spends something like half an hour just reading the poo poo on Ring Theory's website to you ad nauseam in this video, and then just plays that good ol' "It's like poetry" quote and acts like that disproves it all - when one of the fatal flaws of the Plinkett reviews is that, even if you didn't like the prequels, there's nothing wrong with that quote.

No I think the disproving was that the prequels were nothing but imagery and moments from the OT remixed at random, rather than by some design.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Yeah I didn't find the Ring Theory stuff too objectionable since they did at least go to the trouble of finding examples of all three of the prequels using imagery and motifs from all three of the OT movies. That said, yeah, the twenty minute digression on how dumb listicles are felt, uh, a bit late to the party as it were. And they didn't really offer up any interesting food for thought on TFA either--the whole soft reboot thing is apt but I feel like most people got it when Creed, TFA, and Jurassic World all came out within 5 months of each other and did gangbusters. I don't even fully disagree with the diversity points but, again, this is stuff that was really apparent at first blush.

Perhaps in some sense TFA is approaching the corporate platonic ideal--incredibly lucrative and immune to meaningful critique or discussion. Well that and it's so much a first act rather than a complete story that it's hard to talk about without the forthcoming episodes.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I enjoyed the review. Excuse my ignorance but does RLM have any association with the SA forums? I feel like they post here or something? Would it be fair to say they've read this thread enough to read SMG's posts?

Anyway, I find myself rewatching TFA but I know all the beats so well there isn't anything I'm learning new. Its too well oiled to have surprises on repeat viewings.

Soral
May 30, 2009

he was right. why wasnt there more gay boys kissing eachother on the lips in the star wars ?/ why is jj abraham afraid to show us all what we want to see: gay boys kissing one another, on the lips of eachother

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

So you're saying you'd prefer more of a soft reboot of the first plinkett reviews?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The video felt more like an internet rant video than the prequel reviews, critiques of critiques.

I do like Plinkett saying that humorlessness is better than sexlessness.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Panzeh posted:

The video felt more like an internet rant video than the prequel reviews, critiques of critiques.

I do like Plinkett saying that humorlessness is better than sexlessness.

Wtf does that even mean

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Hat Thoughts posted:

Wtf does that even mean

Plinkett spent a good hour complaining that there was pro-prequel stuff on the internet written in a form he didn't like(I don't like listicles, either). It was pretty poo poo.

Then he goes on talking about how there's too much humor in TFA and not enough sex, where the beauty of the original trilogy was in how humorless it was.

Serf
May 5, 2011

It's so nice to see kids who grew up watching Clone Wars and see no issues with the PT. One day there will be no more olds to yell at them and the many references to how bad the prequels are will seem even more dated and irrelevant than they already are.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

People only dislike the prequels because they feel envious of children.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Panzeh posted:

Then he goes on talking about how there's too much humor in TFA and not enough sex, where the beauty of the original trilogy was in how humorless it was.

Do u have a timecode/general time where he talks about why he thinks the original trilogy was humorless & how that improved it?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Plinkett questions the value of having the Finn character.

I kind of take Finn as a near-literal audience member.

He starts out as a Stormtrooper. All kids think the stormtroopers are neat, and who wouldn't want to be one in a film? That changes when you're forced to point a gun at people and kill them. He generally tries to do the right thing, even if the motivation is fear. He questions things for the audience's benefit, and generally does things a fan might do if dropped into the film - including getting his rear end kicked in a lightsaber fight.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hat Thoughts posted:

Wtf does that even mean

He points out that in TFA almost every scene has a jokey line of dialogue undercutting the drama. Also, nobody wants to gently caress anybody. They're all just best friends. But in the originals stuff was treated a lot more seriously, and it was pretty clear Han and Luke at least thought about "getting with" Leia

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Finn at least has some degree of attraction toward Rey. Listen to the jealousy in his voice when he asks if she has a "cute boyfriend" back on Jakku.

Serf
May 5, 2011

What movie did this dude watch? Finn obviously has a crush on Rey, Kylo Ren has a real creepy vibe towards her in the interrogation scene, and who could forget Chewie hitting on the space medic?

Vegg220
Sep 2, 2016

by 2017 exmarx

Serf posted:

It's so nice to see kids who grew up watching Clone Wars and see no issues with the PT. One day there will be no more olds to yell at them and the many references to how bad the prequels are will seem even more dated and irrelevant than they already are.

I'm sorry dudes on the internet told you your taste in movies was lovely as a little kid dude. That must have been very triggering. Yes yes, They'll All See and History Will Vindicate You. Go back to identifying so deeply with comical loser robots literally nobody cares about

Serf
May 5, 2011

Vegg220 posted:

I'm sorry dudes on the internet told you your taste in movies was lovely as a little kid dude. That must have been very triggering. Yes yes, They'll All See and History Will Vindicate You. Go back to identifying so deeply with comical loser robots literally nobody cares about

Sup Tezzor. Why are you using two accounts now?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Vegg220 posted:

Uh, aren't you guys the ones asking for a safe space where no one is allowed to like the prequels?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Vegg220 posted:

Go back to identifying so deeply with comical loser robots literally nobody cares about

If you can't identify with a comical loser robot then I don't know what to tell you.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
What kind of loser would identify with the disposable, pathetic battle droids? As for me, I identify with the epic, badass jed- what? They did WHAT? Anakin did W-...?! gently caress this! gently caress these movies! I've been betrayed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Serf posted:

Sup Tezzor. Why are you using two accounts now?

Tezzor is like Hydra, ban one account and two more will take its place.

quote:

What kind of loser would identify with the disposable, pathetic battle droids? As for me, I identify with the epic, badass jed- what? They did WHAT? Anakin did W-...?! gently caress this! gently caress these movies! I've been betrayed!

I continue to identify with the little rat dude in Jabba's palace.

• Locked thread