Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

No matter what wallpaper it choose it just ends up as solid aqua blue a half hour later. My life is just a mess if my wallpaper isn't solid blue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FiftyFour
Jan 26, 2006
Tosspot
Due to my job I use a pseudonym for my Facebook account, which means that on iOS my autocomplete forms and other bits want to use the pseudonym as well, which is pretty annoying. Is there a way around this? Cheers :)

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Any recommendations for PDF viewers that can handle highlighting in large documents well? Large documents meaning on the order of thousands of pages.

Preview hangs for several seconds when I highlight something in this document (note that's about 23 MB in size) and then claims "the original document can't be changed", forcing me to resave it where it was already located.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

FiftyFour posted:

Due to my job I use a pseudonym for my Facebook account, which means that on iOS my autocomplete forms and other bits want to use the pseudonym as well, which is pretty annoying. Is there a way around this? Cheers :)

maybe create a contact with your proper name and other details?

Spambort
Jun 19, 2012
I use skim for pdfs, works fine on el capitan

FiftyFour
Jan 26, 2006
Tosspot

qutius posted:

maybe create a contact with your proper name and other details?

I tried that, it reverts back to the Facebook pseudonym. Annoying.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

FiftyFour posted:

I tried that, it reverts back to the Facebook pseudonym. Annoying.

Really? I use a bunch of nicknames and names and it lets me choose. What autocomplete forms?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've found my phone really likes using the details on my Facebook profile (which is merged with the entry on my phone book) although it seems to have cooled off a bit since I started my phone from scratch, even though I remained iCloud synced.

Speaking of ios10, I was on public beta but since going to the final release I've noticed a weird bug. Every so often when I go into an app, not a specific one, a second later my screen will go black as if I pressed the power button. But it's still working at normal, because when I hit home the screen lights back up and returns to springboard like it would anyway. Quite odd and not found anyone else suffering this.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah Facebook overriding contact stuff is actually super annoying. My girlfriends photo on my phone gets changed to her Facebook one totally randomly

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Don't give Facebook access to your contacts, or anything for that matter.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's the other way around, we're telling our phones it can take contact data from Facebook. It's quite useful at times.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bill Barber posted:

Don't give Facebook access to your contacts, or anything for that matter.

:tinfoil:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Martytoof posted:

Once the Mac is fully restored I'm going to grab one of these: http://www.bigmessowires.com/floppy-emu/

I'm also hunting for a PDS ethernet card but I really really doubt I'll be able to find one in my budget. My fallback plan to get it on the network is serial PPP link to a raspberry pi doing IP forwarding.

Grabbed a copy of A/UX to feed my stupid need for retro UNIX to boot.

Is there a LocalTalk Bridge solution for RPi? It would be a whole lot nicer.
Probably needs a USB RS422 adaptor, I'd guess?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

:rolleyes:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I just got the message to upgrade to Sierra.

yay/nay?

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

Michaellaneous posted:

I just got the message to upgrade to Sierra.

yay/nay?

Universal Clipboard is good. I like tapback in iMessage, but that's a tiny difference. Siri is next to useless in practice, and I've only used it to set reminders. All in all it's basically the same as El Cap to me, but I like it all the same.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

They also bizarrely didn't update iMessage with the same features as iOS so you don't have sticker support at all 🤔 even if you pay for them :argh::argh:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

~Coxy posted:

Is there a LocalTalk Bridge solution for RPi? It would be a whole lot nicer.
Probably needs a USB RS422 adaptor, I'd guess?

Not sure, doing a lot of research right now :)

I'll probably start some kind of classic Mac thread for my SE/30 adventures.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

In iOS, in previous versions, it used to be when an alarm went off, you could snooze it by tapping the screen, and turn off the alarm by swiping to the right. In this version,you snooze it by tapping the center, and turn it off by tapping the bottom of the screen. This means I can't blindly snooze it with my eyes closed when I want to sleep more! Is there a setting to make it so turning off the alarm requires swiping?

FAT BATMAN fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 4, 2016

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Press the power or volume buttons to snooze it.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

At this point I have been an autist long enough that cmd space type is much easier than putting words together and making them come out of my mouth. Haven't used desktop Siri even once

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

ethanol posted:

At this point I have been an autist long enough that cmd space type is much easier than putting words together and making them come out of my mouth. Haven't used desktop Siri even once

It's pretty useful for setting reminders. Like I'm sitting at home and we're about to go out to a movie, but we haven't fed the cats, we want to feed them when we get back so they aren't all crazy hungry in the morning and wake us up on a Sunday, so I just go "Remind me to feed the cats in 3 hours" and she says "Ok, I'll remind you" and that's SO much faster than going to the Reminder app. Then when we get home and I inevitably wake up my computer, it says right there - feed the cats! Of course, that's a contrived (but real-world for me!) example, but there are SOME things Siri's decent at. You could ask for the schedule of City Name Sports Team which is probably quicker than Googling to see if they have a game tonight.

I admit, the utility is limited on the desktop. But there are benefits, better to have it than not.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

FAT BATMAN posted:

In iOS, in previous versions, it used to be when an alarm went off, you could snooze it by tapping the screen, and turn off the alarm by swiping to the right. In this version,you snooze it by tapping the center, and turn it off by tapping the bottom of the screen. This means I can't blindly snooze it with my eyes closed when I want to sleep more! Is there a setting to make it so turning off the alarm requires swiping?

loving tiny rear end 'stop' button :argh:

FWIW iPhone stuff has a thread in Inspect your gadgets - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3664222

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Ah, thank you.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

in iOS 10 on a 5s landscape photos don't appear to EXIF tag properly I guess as when viewing them they are shown in portrait, or is this a new iOS 10 feature?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Does this happen to all landscape photos or just ones you took recently? Rotation lock could be on, or I've taken pictures without realizing it never registered the rotation.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Pivo posted:

It's pretty useful for setting reminders. Like I'm sitting at home and we're about to go out to a movie, but we haven't fed the cats, we want to feed them when we get back so they aren't all crazy hungry in the morning and wake us up on a Sunday, so I just go "Remind me to feed the cats in 3 hours" and she says "Ok, I'll remind you" and that's SO much faster than going to the Reminder app. Then when we get home and I inevitably wake up my computer, it says right there - feed the cats! Of course, that's a contrived (but real-world for me!) example, but there are SOME things Siri's decent at. You could ask for the schedule of City Name Sports Team which is probably quicker than Googling to see if they have a game tonight.

I admit, the utility is limited on the desktop. But there are benefits, better to have it than not.

Why does the cat in your avatar look so happy if you never feed him?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

MrMoo posted:

in iOS 10 on a 5s landscape photos don't appear to EXIF tag properly I guess as when viewing them they are shown in portrait, or is this a new iOS 10 feature?

I feel like this is a bug because it's been happening to me on my 5s and driving me nuts. My wifes 4s doesn't do it

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I was thinking of Siri as an accessibility feature that's being exaggerated for marketing purposes. Like, it's probably wonderful for people with visual problems. When I had the laser eye surgery I basically lived on dictation and a few other accessibility features for a couple of weeks and the Mac implementation was insanely good compared to PC.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Arsten posted:

Why does the cat in your avatar look so happy if you never feed him?

My cat looks nothing like my avatar. We do feed him. It's just that he's an annoying bastard who jumps on bedside tables and meows in your face at 6am if he's 'hungry' (there's still food in your bowl, idiot!), which is a pain in the rear end on Sunday morning. Feed him late on Saturday though, like really late, and he will sleep in like we do.

Cats will be cats.

"Hey Siri, remind me to chase my rear end in a top hat cat around the house"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I Am Crake posted:

Universal Clipboard is good. I like tapback in iMessage, but that's a tiny difference. Siri is next to useless in practice, and I've only used it to set reminders. All in all it's basically the same as El Cap to me, but I like it all the same.

Also Right Click -> Search with Google defaults to opening a new tab in Safari now.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I had to change my old iCloud email and so far it's been seemless, except for my Mac. It still lists the old email address. I figure I'll need to sign out and sign back in, but I was paranoid of losing any data. Does anything I've synced (like photos) get impacted when I sign out?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

8ender posted:

I feel like this is a bug because it's been happening to me on my 5s and driving me nuts. My wifes 4s doesn't do it

Doh, fixed in iOS 10.0.2, I had the update still pending.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

found out yesterday you can move the screenshots dir to another location to stop polluting your desktop. I made a /screenshots/ dir and popped it into the dock so I can actually drag them into slack, email or whatever. It's a much nicer solution IMO.

Of course, it's a terminal command to change it, so most people won't ever really get the chance to enjoy it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah I set mine to save inside a OneDrive folder so I have my screenshots everywhere !

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

computer parts posted:

Also Right Click -> Search with Google defaults to opening a new tab in Safari now.

I'm pretty sure this was implemented before Sierra because my girlfriend's mac does this as well and I don't think she's updated.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I Am Crake posted:

I'm pretty sure this was implemented before Sierra because my girlfriend's mac does this as well and I don't think she's updated.

Safari 10 was rolled out right before Sierra dropped. It's not the OS doing it, it's Safari.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
now there are 2 "Search With Google" in the context menu that do the same thing

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

well why not posted:

found out yesterday you can move the screenshots dir to another location to stop polluting your desktop. I made a /screenshots/ dir and popped it into the dock so I can actually drag them into slack, email or whatever. It's a much nicer solution IMO.

Of course, it's a terminal command to change it, so most people won't ever really get the chance to enjoy it.

as someone who loves a blank, clean desktop...can you share the command?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I think i used the commands in this article:
https://www.maketecheasier.com/change-screenshot-save-folder-mac/

code:
defaults write com.apple.screencapture location /Users/[name]/Documents/Screenshots/New\ Screenshots