Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

This is a reminder that we still have an irc over at #retrochat on synirc.net

And VonMankenstein would like to remember everyone of the No Homers rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

My Lovely Horse posted:

I've been playing Kirby's Dream Land 3 on my Pi and any level with water, i.e. transparency, forces the emulator speed to its knees. It also reliably triggers the overheat alert.

e: RPi 3 and latest software, too.

I mean, Kirby's Dreamland 3 is one of the games that pushed the SNES to it's limits, along with Yoshi's Island and Star Fox.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Rufus posted:

I don't have the link handy but Play Asia has some upcoming US style game cabinets in 1/12 scale coming out soon. Namco titles only IIRC. So there are more choices for silly projects. I'd personally just say to chop up those new Pac Man and Space Invaders LCD games TRU and Walmart has. Not arcade authentic cabs but more room to putz with and make something nice out of.

Oh man I can't wait for these. Since I will never have a full-size Pac-Man machine, I could always hope for a miniature one (not that crummy one from the 80s). Please please please post in this thread when they are available to buy!

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Yeah, the RPi1 doesn't seem to hang as well as the 2, but the 3 is phenomenal for this.

Also, I got Kthulhu5000's Super CD2 for my PCE, popped in Cho Aniki along with his 3.0 card, and

yeeeeeeeee

RADUCAL It's like the fulfillment of destiny!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

After bitching about it for so long, today was a good day for thrift, $5 xenophobe and 99 cents for the Gameboy games. Thank you, local Amvets for having no clue how to price old video games.

Okay one bitch: why is it that I keep getting GBC games with broken solder joins coming from the leads on the rom chip? At least I can fix them but still hardly worth opening up Rampage to do it because, well, Rampage. (It's better on the n64)

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I was too young to care when I first played it, but in retrospect Yoshi has got to be one of the worst commercially released puzzle games, right? I mean, it's not painful to play, but there's really not much of a game there.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I first played Yoshi on a TI-84 where it's called Dino Puzzle, and the symbols come from the side instead of down from the top. It was boring then too. But who cares when you've got 99 cent Turtles 3 to play! Sometimes I miss Konami, this is one of those times.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rollersnake posted:

I was too young to care when I first played it, but in retrospect Yoshi has got to be one of the worst commercially released puzzle games, right? I mean, it's not painful to play, but there's really not much of a game there.

It's really terrible. It's brainless in the worst way, even when you're playing for score. Nintendo just wasn't very good at puzzle games unless they were publishing someone else's work.

No, I don't like Dr. Mario, either.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
At least Kirby's Star Stacker get the "stack things between two specific things" formula right.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Pokemon Puzzle League is legit.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Pokemon Puzzle League is legit.

Yeah Panel De Pon/Tertis Attack/Puzzle League is among the best puzzle games ever made.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I got a NES really late in the game (when toploaders were $50) and for some reason one of the few NES games you could still get new everywhere was Yoshi, which I got along with Zelda 1 grey cart version and SMB3. For some reason I enjoyed it and got pretty good, though now I'm like "wtf" when I try to play it. It's weird because it was developed by game freak who were responsible for the excellent mendel palace and some other games i think

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Yes.

Some other games.

Like Pulseman.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

Gaz2k21 posted:

I had an old Rpi B+ that was used to run Kodi but I barely used it so I set up retropie so I could play Nintendo, unfortunately it really struggles with playing most games there's often a lot of slow down even if I overclock the Rpi is this right? would I be better of using a newer Pi? is it possible that my power supply is not good enough as I'm using the charger from an Amazon Fire.

Weirdly the only game I got running smoothly was the PSX version of Street Fighter The Movie

Just overclock that pi up to 1ghz and it should run fine. Just make sure you get heat sink on Amazon, they sell them for like $5.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I rented Yoshi and desperately wanted to return it after one day.

That said I put way too much time into that weird Kirby golf game.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
My childhood dentist's office had Game Boys in the waiting room. Everybody wanted to play Mario and Zelda, so most of the time the only Game Boys that remained had Yoshi cartridges. Whenever I think of playing Yoshi, I think of trying to forget that I was getting braces.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

al-azad posted:

I rented Yoshi and desperately wanted to return it after one day.

That said I put way too much time into that weird Kirby golf game.

Kirby's Dream Course was fun as hell, feel no shame. :colbert:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Kirby's Dream Course is firmly in my top ten SNES games. Maaaybe five.

Elliotw2 posted:

I mean, Kirby's Dreamland 3 is one of the games that pushed the SNES to it's limits, along with Yoshi's Island and Star Fox.
I'd been wondering, actually.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Oh man I can't wait for these. Since I will never have a full-size Pac-Man machine, I could always hope for a miniature one (not that crummy one from the 80s). Please please please post in this thread when they are available to buy!

http://www.play-asia.com/namco-arcade-machine-collection-112-scale-pre-painted-figure-ral/13/70ajqv

Well here is one of them. On mobile so yall gotta go to the site to find out more information.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone have any experience with those backlit gbas on eBay that are all out of Hong Kong?

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
I have this GameCube NR reader that I acquired several years back before moving countries. I came home this weekend and decided to take some pictures and figured this was place would be the best way to get info on it.
After some basic testing, it won't boot any JPN or USA retail games, which makes sense, but it won't boot the disc that came with it either. Is it possible to get more (blank) discs or does anyone know if the system can boot retail discs with a mod or anything?
https://imgur.com/gallery/C6VEv

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

fruitpunch posted:

I have this GameCube NR reader that I acquired several years back before moving countries. I came home this weekend and decided to take some pictures and figured this was place would be the best way to get info on it.
After some basic testing, it won't boot any JPN or USA retail games, which makes sense, but it won't boot the disc that came with it either. Is it possible to get more (blank) discs or does anyone know if the system can boot retail discs with a mod or anything?

Whoa that's really pretty.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

fruitpunch posted:

http://www.nesworld.com/gcn-nrreader.php

quote:

You've probably never heard of a Gamecube called the NR Reader right? Well if you haven't there's a very good reason why, it was not available for purchase in any retail shops. The NR reader was used by game testers who would receive a game build on a special 8 cm DVD-R, called DOT-003. These DVD's were written with a special device called an NR writer and the discs are only playable on the NR Reader version of the Gamecube.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
So by the sounds of it, it's not moddable to play retail discs or anything? Still a cool thing to have I guess!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!
Nope, but a used gamecube is cheap and you can solder in your own USA-JAP switch.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Gonna try to play through Cho Aniki (and beat the final boss this time):

http://twitch.tv/redfeyerthepulserifle

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Gonna try to play through Cho Aniki (and beat the final boss this time):

http://twitch.tv/redfeyerthepulserifle

Watched, saw the horrible secret of Cho Aniki, would probably do again.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I'm glad I finally beat it. The final boss was a little bit of a disappointment.

That penultimate boss, though. My goodness.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Trigger warning: https://imgur.com/gallery/n8FKM

:barf:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

:smith:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Nothing could have prepared me for the horrors I saw there.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
What was even the point of that?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Wtf I thought I was on Liveleak for a second :(

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gorgolflox posted:

They may be crappy games but give them away before you do something like that. Those are exactly the kinds of bad cabinets that no one is going to shed tears over a MAME conversion, too.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Random Stranger posted:

They may be crappy games but give them away before you do something like that. Those are exactly the kinds of bad cabinets that no one is going to shed tears over a MAME conversion, too.

There was an AfterBurner cab in there though. It wasn't the sit down cab so no major loss but still...

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Anyone know much info about Neo Geo cabinets? I see one available locally-ish for a reasonable price, it appears to be the one that takes 4 carts. It has a 150 in one multicart in one which sounds sane.

My weird requirement would be to keep it Neo Geo but attempt to easily flip over to something Jamma-ish, perhaps exclusively to play Burger Time on (emulated I guess). I see that there are Neo Geo / Jamma adaptors in both directions, anyone know if you can more or less hook up both at once and switch between with a swtich?

I already have two arcade cabs and cant possibly have more, so I'd purge one (Karate Champ) for this one (which will go along side Star Wars [vector]).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gorgolflox posted:

Seriously, what the gently caress?

Even if you want to get rid of them, all they did was make a HUGE mess. This is so loving dumb.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

falz posted:

Anyone know much info about Neo Geo cabinets? I see one available locally-ish for a reasonable price, it appears to be the one that takes 4 carts. It has a 150 in one multicart in one which sounds sane.

My weird requirement would be to keep it Neo Geo but attempt to easily flip over to something Jamma-ish, perhaps exclusively to play Burger Time on (emulated I guess). I see that there are Neo Geo / Jamma adaptors in both directions, anyone know if you can more or less hook up both at once and switch between with a swtich?

I already have two arcade cabs and cant possibly have more, so I'd purge one (Karate Champ) for this one (which will go along side Star Wars [vector]).

I'm sure you could rig up a switch, but swapping what is installed takes like 1 minute, especially since you're already familiar with arcade guts. I keep a CPS board inside of my neogeo candy, along with the MVS motherboard. If I want to play one or the other, I just open it up, swap the wire from one to the other (I just leave the adapter on the end of my CPS board) and then restart.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I guess that's not that bad, I'm just tight on space in that rolling the cabinet out far enough to do that would be a chore and would greatly reduce its usefulness.

It seems that MVS and Jamma pinouts are really really similar, maybe I do something weird like get a 2-to-1 jamma adaptor (they seem to exist), wire the OUT of that adaptor to be MVS, wire one IN to be MVS, leave the other at Jamma. Seems ugly but I guess it would work? Sounds like a bit of a mess though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Gorgolflox posted:

It sure got you nerds angry!

• Locked thread