Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hexenritter posted:

I went from level 4 to level 20 yesterday after a marathon ratbashing sesh. Got some alright gear out of it but it's still early days yet for me. I'm so torn with Kruber though, the blue advanced engineer's repeater I've got is a dakka machine but the green harquebus lets me dome ratgunners and globadiers from a hundred yards. Also, the starting hammer you get as Kruber still remains one of my best weapons for him.

Just wait until you get a good single-handed mace (no shield). I used to think that thing was worthless but with practice you can basically be a crazy rat-plow with it and the charged attack hits like the light attack on Kruber's two-handed hammer, for doming Stormvermin.

It's a good rat-stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Except for a few stinkers Krueber and the dwarf have a ton of viable weapons. They let you decide on what you like, as the cost of you getting a ton of drops you don't.
While if you arent keen on the rapier just don't play Victor

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Sonic the Hoxhaist posted:

Except for a few stinkers Krueber and the dwarf have a ton of viable weapons. They let you decide on what you like, as the cost of you getting a ton of drops you don't.
While if you arent keen on the rapier just don't play Victor

His Zweihander is also fantastic.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Yeah it's good. But I'd say go with Krueber if you want two handed goodness, as Saltspyre guns aren't celebrated. Dwarf also has the hammer, but the axe is garbo

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Zweihander and brace lets me feel like cranky 16th century German Dante, though.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Night10194 posted:

Just wait until you get a good single-handed mace (no shield). I used to think that thing was worthless but with practice you can basically be a crazy rat-plow with it and the charged attack hits like the light attack on Kruber's two-handed hammer, for doming Stormvermin.

It's a good rat-stick.

That sounds glorious, I am a big fan of his charged hammer swing for blatting (yes I made up an apropos onomatopoeia :v: ) twenty rats at once when they swarm to take the pressure off the team.

I got a green zweihander too and while it let me pretend I was a cuisinart, I much prefer doming Stormvermin with the warhammer. I've had a couple of early mace/shield combos drop for him too but I was pretty meh on them. I also got a blue fireball staff for Sienna and dropping a full charge firebomb feels pretty good. Mostly though, I'm a Kruberdude. My few matches as Saltzpyre resulted in my settling on a zweihander/repeater combo, while I just got a green Grudge Raker and a brace of blue drakefire pistols for Bardin. I have yet to play a single match as the she-elf though I've had a few bows drop for her. Mostly though, the dice hate me. So many times I've been in groups that finish with 3grim/3tome/2curse dice and I roll a loving 1 or 2.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hexenritter posted:

That sounds glorious, I am a big fan of his charged hammer swing for blatting (yes I made up an apropos onomatopoeia :v: ) twenty rats at once when they swarm to take the pressure off the team.

I got a green zweihander too and while it let me pretend I was a cuisinart, I much prefer doming Stormvermin with the warhammer. I've had a couple of early mace/shield combos drop for him too but I was pretty meh on them. I also got a blue fireball staff for Sienna and dropping a full charge firebomb feels pretty good. Mostly though, I'm a Kruberdude. My few matches as Saltzpyre resulted in my settling on a zweihander/repeater combo, while I just got a green Grudge Raker and a brace of blue drakefire pistols for Bardin. I have yet to play a single match as the she-elf though I've had a few bows drop for her. Mostly though, the dice hate me. So many times I've been in groups that finish with 3grim/3tome/2curse dice and I roll a loving 1 or 2.

The key with the Zweihander is to stick to charged strikes most of the time and push to clear space for your swing. An important thing to remember about the hammer is that it staggers infinity rats, but only deals damage to like 2-3 with each heavy sweep. It's great for controlling and grinding a crowd and an amazing weapon, though.

E: Basically there are a ton of weapons that are good and cool, and the best weapon in the game is always the one you're most comfortable using.

Unless you try to use the swift-bow (not the Hagbane) or the single-axe. Then you will have sad times.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Also ur waifu is poo poo, the glaive is better. But don't pay that harlot no mind.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Glaive is like the number 1 reason to play the elf and everything the single axes should've been.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Too bad you need 90 hours to get one

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I got one on my second pass through the castle, get on my level.

SirBuddha
Aug 20, 2006
some one play with my scrub rear end , getting tired of playing with pugs ><

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sit in goonintide if you're not. I still only see the same people in there I saw two months ago.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

So far I've seen a grand total of one person in the Goonintide chat the several times I've checked it this past week or so.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Just got this. Where is goonintide? A steam group? I'm looking for some ppl to play with

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonintide

ratchoppe

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
I liked this game. Did they add more content or let it die off once they got money?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
they tried to do the former but ended up being really incompetent so it irl it was the latter

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 26, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I AM BRAWW posted:

I liked this game. Did they add more content or let it die off once they got money?

They are still set to release the console version next month, though they've missed deadlines before, so it remains to be seen.
I think what happened was the game blew up more than they expected, so with the influx of money they pulled a Star Citizen and set their ambitions beyond their practical reach. The game is still super fun, but the developers are trying to do too much to get it ready for consoles, and they don't have the manpower to fulfill their projects, so stuff like patches and netcode fixes are stalled.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I hate sounding like That Guy, but it really sounds like the console release kinda screwed over this game. These days releasing a co-op shooter* comes with it the expectation of a steady drip-feed of post-release content, at least some of which is expected to be free, and Vermintide has really fallen flat in that regard. The free 'dlc' has been The Shrine, which is honestly just a base feature of the game that wasn't ready for launch, and the survival mode, which I think is boring as heck, but I'm sure some people liked it.

*Co-op Smasher, Stabber, Burner, Shooter. :black101:

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

The sad part is that I'm practically chomping at the bit to give them my money. Particularly new characters.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Geight posted:

I hate sounding like That Guy, but it really sounds like the console release kinda screwed over this game. These days releasing a co-op shooter* comes with it the expectation of a steady drip-feed of post-release content, at least some of which is expected to be free, and Vermintide has really fallen flat in that regard. The free 'dlc' has been The Shrine, which is honestly just a base feature of the game that wasn't ready for launch, and the survival mode, which I think is boring as heck, but I'm sure some people liked it.

*Co-op Smasher, Stabber, Burner, Shooter. :black101:

This game is the inverse of Payday 2.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mendrian posted:

The sad part is that I'm practically chomping at the bit to give them my money. Particularly new characters.

Same here. Most of my buddies I played with, we've got our orange gear and we'll occasionally go smash some rats, but we've kinda played out all the content we have.

It was great, though. Really glad of my purchase. Whatever flaws the game has, the base game is way better than it had any right to be.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
New Console launch trailer.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
lol, it's not 60fps

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Looks fine as long as it doesn't have dips and poo poo :shrug:

Either way now come back and do the other stuff up fatshark, I want more reasons to smack rats around.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Its not always 60 FPS on PC either since a 970 isnt good enough to run the game smoothly on medium apparently. It's incredibly pitchy.

And seriously make more weapon and map DLCs or just rebalance the current weapons so more of them are useful. I still play every week but I would play a lot more if they put in more content.

The game got a lot of notice around release because it's unique and it's fun as gently caress but there's been so much radio silence that it doesn't have any buzz anymore, which means it may not get much notice on consoles. They might have shot themselves in the foot a bit by letting all the hype die out before they release on new platforms. But I don't know how they could have made more DLCs for PC at the same time as making the console versions, since they seem completely incapable of doing more than 1 thing at a time.

I still think console versions for this game are a terrible idea unless they're prepared to massively rework it. By nightmare, the ability to snap the camera around becomes impossible to do without, and I've gotten more mileage out of drag shooting in vermintide of all things than I ever did in competitive shooters.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Fatshark fixed the ladder torch dupe on dungeons, so get hosed and do half the level with 1 torch and the entire holdout part with 2. You can get roger in the first part with just 1 torch too, in the room with all the columns and trap panels.

The level is really cool but the difficulty is out of step with the reward. I wouldn't mind a level that was really hard like dungeons but that had 2 grimoires at the very end next to the carriage, so you could at least have full health without the reward being bad too.

However it turns out you can get the roger bomb instakill at the end of summoner's peak if you can get him into one of the narrow tunnels on the sides. Could be a good strategy for cataclysm if you can manage to kill the pre-roger wave of stormvermin in time.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Or you know, just keep using Hagbane.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I'm a console player looking forward to this. AMA

Also excited about Space Hulk: Deathwing

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Space hulk is probably gonna be awesome because the weapons look fun and the weapons were fun in their previous game. I expect to see a verminhulk team when it comes out

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Digirat posted:

Space hulk is probably gonna be awesome because the weapons look fun and the weapons were fun in their previous game. I expect to see a verminhulk team when it comes out

If they channel the level of oomph they got for the guns in EYE but not the 'past a point everything is armored and so only two guns are worth using', it will justify buying the game alone.

That EYE Shotgun. So good!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hell, might as well repost it here then.

Mordja posted:

Mordja here with your weekly Space Hulk update.
https://twitter.com/SpaceHulkFPS/status/781887622251679745

And speaking of shotguns, that spread-shot Storm Bolter is just the flak cannon from UT. :fap:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

That game looks so loving gorgeous.

Wait, there's a thread for it? Sweet.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

xthetenth posted:

That game looks so loving gorgeous.

Wait, there's a thread for it? Sweet.

Is there? There's this and that lovely Eternal Crusade game, but I haven't seen a thread for Deathwing

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Yeah, I thought the crosspost was coming from a main thread for the game. Now I'm sad and five minutes poorer.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Man, if they still have EYE level oomph to the guns like that trailer, I'ma have to get my ratfighting buddies in on this.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I kinda wish they'd use the gribbly geiger-esque 'nid look from I think the 3rd codex in warham games. Maybe there'd be copyright issues but it always looked impressively creepy

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Death wing looks baller. That flame thrower :staredog:

I hope vermintide console is good but I'm not holding my breath

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

This comes out tomorrow for me -- give me some tips!

• Locked thread