Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Anyone who says eclipse is better than TI:3 doesn't like actual politics in their game.

Seriously though, playing with poltical leaders with only good politics cards saves the game and makes it amazing instead of decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

silvergoose posted:

Welcome to the thread, Bosgoon. :D

(also NT is the best game ever made and you all should be ashamed at not picking it up at 150 :v: )

I tried, but no one would buy any of my organs.

Kashuno posted:

I never realized before getting into the scene recently how deep the board game hole goes

TI3 is just the vaguely murky water above the lightless abyss at the heart of our hobby. Somewhere from the depths, Campaign for North Africa keens high and soft.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."

Gutter Owl posted:

I tried, but no one would buy any of my organs.

TI3 is just the vaguely murky water above the lightless abyss at the heart of our hobby. Somewhere from the depths, Campaign for North Africa keens high and soft.

Yet I yearn to find a group of folks in Seattle willing to sit down with me for a rousing TI3 afternoon/evening. Especially since I recently lost a large circle of friends (at least, that's what I thought they were). I'll even provide oxygen and halogen lights.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Speaking of the Napoleonic era: I've been playing through the grand campaign of Legion of Honor, a card game that simulates the career of an officer in Napoleon's Grand Armee. The designers have done excellent research and produced uniformly beautiful components but the game is an almost total disaster. The rulebook is clear in individual rules but disorganized. And there are far too many rules: two different kinds of duels (with an independent miniature card game just for duels), gambling, medical treatment, requesting transfers, interfering with other people's requests for transfer, wooing a mistress, wooing someone else's mistress, getting married, cuckolding and being cuckolded, wounds, being made prisoner, etc. etc. etc.

Despite these abundant rules players make almost no decisions - most of the time you just apply the text of a card as you draw it, sometimes rolling a die to adjust amounts or to see if something bad happens. Some cards yield very bad events - in fact, it's possible in the first deal of the first round to draw a card that results in your officer being guillotined. There are convoluted rules for returning to play if this happens but it seems to me that this may not be top notch game design.

Lots of other events can take you out of the action as well - serious wounds, being taken prisoner, or simply being in the wrong division of the army (if you're in the reserves in Paris you're not going to get to fight in Italy). These seem to be gestures at realism and the perils of early 19th century combat, but they don't make for a fun card game. Maybe as a computer roguelike this would be cool, but spending fifteen minutes generating your eager young sous-lieutenant only to have him almost immediately blown to pieces by the Austrians or executed by the Committee of Public Safety is frustrating.

Worse is the fact that you have little control over your fate. If you're lucky enough to draw a card that grants you idle time in garrison you can request a transfer or do something else interesting; but much of the time the garrison round passes by without any decisions at all. Similarly, during battles you can choose to act bravely (earning experience and rewards) or to behave like a coward (no one will ever pick this option). That's it. There's some kind of combat strategy module that you access once you become an officer of the general staff, but it doesn't look too detailed - and if you want Napoleonic battlefield strategy there are literally thousands of other options out there. Terribly disappointing and muddled.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Played a game of Magic: The Gathering the other day where someone played some bullshit card that allowed them to play my turn - essentially as if they were in my spot, with my cards, etc.

All I could think was "Most board game developer learned a long time ago that 'Lose your turn' was a bullshit mechanic out of the days of Snakes and Ladders or some poo poo."

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Alchemy bad.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

You don't lose your turn when someone plays Possession.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I feel somewhat at odds with this thread, since I really dislike super complex war games that take 3 hours to play, and always tend towards more "casual" stuff that plays well at parties in under an hour.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
I just noticed there's a 2016 reprint of Acquire out now. Anyone know if there's any changes from previous versions? Also, is Acquire fun?

sector_corrector posted:

I feel somewhat at odds with this thread, since I really dislike super complex war games that take 3 hours to play, and always tend towards more "casual" stuff that plays well at parties in under an hour.

We all secretly like those too, don't worry. There's just more to talk about with more complex, "better" games.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Magic the gathering (aka wizard poker) is a 20 year old game with a legacy ruleset, yeah. It lumbers along with its popularity until it finally gets put down.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I have only played once, but for an old design, Acquire is pretty amazing and holds up well. I think it's the second-oldest game I'd still be content to play if it's all that was in the closet (oldest is Yahtzee, which isn't as good as Acquire).

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

sector_corrector posted:

Thread fawned over codenames for several months.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Morpheus posted:

Played a game of Magic: The Gathering the other day where someone played some bullshit card that allowed them to play my turn - essentially as if they were in my spot, with my cards, etc.

All I could think was "Most board game developer learned a long time ago that 'Lose your turn' was a bullshit mechanic out of the days of Snakes and Ladders or some poo poo."

To be fair, the typical pacing of an mtg game is such that the game is well and truly decided by that point. Either you're far enough ahead that you can win despite the opponent taking your turn, or you're not and that play basically wins them the game (and perhaps you should concede to speed the process up). There are some mtg variants where that isn't the case, but they're generally considered bad except by the sort of people who only play mtg.

One big consideration with mtg is that you're not actually supposed to play everything to its final conclusion. Once the game is decided, the loser concedes and you start another game, even if you're still several turns away from the final blow.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Chill la Chill posted:

Thread fawned over codenames for several months.

And will, correctly, still suggest it whenever anyone wants a party-ish game that isn't godawful.

I mean, most of us tend towards heavier games, it's true, but heavier can just mean "at least an hour".

Factory Fun(ner), for example, is pretty quick and really good!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Gilgameshback posted:

generating your eager young sous-lieutenant only to have him almost immediately blown to pieces by the Austrians or executed by the Committee of Public Safety is frustrating.

Worse is the fact that you have little control over your fate.

Board games are sometimes such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Gilgameshback posted:

Literal grognard game
:stare: I need this. It's a literal grognard game that plays as a grognard game.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Chill la Chill posted:

Magic the gathering (aka wizard poker) is a 20 year old game with a legacy ruleset, yeah. It lumbers along with its popularity until it finally gets put down.

Also do note wizards tried to kill of legacy cards pretty hard. Standard and (now) Modern being their big formats. Modern being the new eternal format but only dating back when they started to realize what they were becoming, and standard being the fast rotation.

Either way mindslaver is a casual game sounds like a dick move.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

sector_corrector posted:

We can talk about those. For instance... I played Spyfall on the weekend and my sister in law made gave some amazing answers as the spy. At the University, as the opening question, I asked her how long she'd been here and she said "4 years." Well, we lost that round, obviously. Spyfall is still lots of fun! If you like casual games and want something that plays well with 5-8 players, get it. Each round takes at most 8 minutes (and often more like 2 or 3).

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cerepol posted:

Also do note wizards tried to kill of legacy cards pretty hard. Standard and (now) Modern being their big formats. Modern being the new eternal format but only dating back when they started to realize what they were becoming, and standard being the fast rotation.

Either way mindslaver is a casual game sounds like a dick move.

Mindslaver is only ever going to get played in a casual game because it's too slow most competitive decks, and too easily stopped. If a card has a CMC of 6 or more it could pretty much have the text "If you cast this, you win, and it'll probably feel unfair to your opponent."

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Mindslaver is only ever going to get played in a casual game because it's too slow most competitive decks, and too easily stopped. If a card has a CMC of 6 or more it could pretty much have the text "If you cast this, you win, and it'll probably feel unfair to your opponent."

CMC, for those of us who don't actually read magic threads or play anymore, is combined mana cost?

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

CommonShore posted:

The card was quite likely actually "Emrakul, The Promised End" - and it sees competitive play in the current standard (it costs 13, but.. it's a long story). It's not really a casual appropriate card, but it's new and shiny so it'll be seen everywhere for a while.

It's not that the Magic people don't know how to design well at this point; they know cards like this will be frustrating. They've just explored so much space, and have to serve so many different audiences, that they can't be too picky about the mechanics they allow through.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 3, 2016

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

silvergoose posted:

CMC, for those of us who don't actually read magic threads or play anymore, is combined mana cost?

Close. Converted mana cost, when you just take a numerical tally of all the colors/colorless cost of a spell.

jmzero posted:

It's not the the Magic people don't know how to design well at this point; they know cards like this will be frustrating. They've just explored so much space, and have to serve so many different audiences, that they can't be too picky about the mechanics they allow through.
Exactly. It uses a 20 year old ruleset, which have gone through changes from time to time to remove some of the more grognard things like a rat maze for how a group of spells used to resolve or how mana used to hurt you. But, because it's so old and the game design space so explored, most of the mechanics that exist now are pretty much slight variations of those that existed 15 years ago.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 3, 2016

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Coup is my current light party game. Codenames is fun but it takes longer, requires more people, and I have a group that's board-gamey enough to get strategy in Coup while the wonder of Codenames is that it requires no explanation

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

silvergoose posted:

Converted Mana Cost, so basically yeah. If you resolve a mindslaver you're probably playing EDH, and mindslaver isn't even close to the most obnoxious thing in that game, and there isn't even a guarantee you'll win. It's just as likely you'll take your opponents next turn away and do nothing else as it is that you'll cause them to lose, but there are still other players at the table. There is a combo that can have you basically take everyones turns for infinite but at that point it's literally a board state of "I win, please don't make us play this all out."

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I mean I've played magic before. It was more a "don't use acronyms about a game unless literally everyone knows what they mean" but oh well. :v:

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Gilgameshback posted:

Speaking of the Napoleonic era: I've been playing through the grand campaign of Legion of Honor, a card game that simulates the career of an officer in Napoleon's Grand Armee. The designers have done excellent research and produced uniformly beautiful components but the game is an almost total disaster. The rulebook is clear in individual rules but disorganized. And there are far too many rules: two different kinds of duels (with an independent miniature card game just for duels), gambling, medical treatment, requesting transfers, interfering with other people's requests for transfer, wooing a mistress, wooing someone else's mistress, getting married, cuckolding and being cuckolded, wounds, being made prisoner, etc. etc. etc.

Despite these abundant rules players make almost no decisions - most of the time you just apply the text of a card as you draw it, sometimes rolling a die to adjust amounts or to see if something bad happens. Some cards yield very bad events - in fact, it's possible in the first deal of the first round to draw a card that results in your officer being guillotined. There are convoluted rules for returning to play if this happens but it seems to me that this may not be top notch game design.

Lots of other events can take you out of the action as well - serious wounds, being taken prisoner, or simply being in the wrong division of the army (if you're in the reserves in Paris you're not going to get to fight in Italy). These seem to be gestures at realism and the perils of early 19th century combat, but they don't make for a fun card game. Maybe as a computer roguelike this would be cool, but spending fifteen minutes generating your eager young sous-lieutenant only to have him almost immediately blown to pieces by the Austrians or executed by the Committee of Public Safety is frustrating.

Worse is the fact that you have little control over your fate. If you're lucky enough to draw a card that grants you idle time in garrison you can request a transfer or do something else interesting; but much of the time the garrison round passes by without any decisions at all. Similarly, during battles you can choose to act bravely (earning experience and rewards) or to behave like a coward (no one will ever pick this option). That's it. There's some kind of combat strategy module that you access once you become an officer of the general staff, but it doesn't look too detailed - and if you want Napoleonic battlefield strategy there are literally thousands of other options out there. Terribly disappointing and muddled.

Going to concur with you, I so wanted to fall in love with the game but never did and will be trying to unload it soon.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Quixotic1 posted:

Going to concur with you, I so wanted to fall in love with the game but never did and will be trying to unload it soon.

I played it for about 30 minutes until I realized it was Napoleonic Talisman

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

S.J. posted:

literally a board state of "I win, please don't make us play this all out."

Competitive Netrunner had a deck that had this as its gameplan for a while, the general counterstrategy was 'mobying'- get slightly ahead on points in the early game then read Moby Dick at your opponent until time gets called.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sorry about the CMC thing.

Essentially most big cards like that in magic are suboptimal that they only appear in in casual "Hey let's play with goofy fun cards that are too clumsy to ever see regular play" formats. Those cards would never ever appear in a regular competitive game except as a bomb in a deck that is designed specifically to accelerate to a big thing or otherwise find a creative and unusual way to get it into play.

I can't think of a good board game analogy at the moment, but the best I can come up with is when you play something like Starcraft with your friends and say "no attacking for 8 minutes so we can build up cool armies and see them slug it out."

StashAugustine posted:

Competitive Netrunner had a deck that had this as its gameplan for a while, the general counterstrategy was 'mobying'- get slightly ahead on points in the early game then read Moby Dick at your opponent until time gets called.

Not long ago Magic banned key cards from a deck called "eggs" that essentially recycled its own deck and discard pile ad infinitum while chipping away at the opponent because it would usually just leave the opponent sitting there tapping the table hoping to catch the player in a tournament procedural error to win by DQ.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 3, 2016

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

StashAugustine posted:

:stare: go on

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CommonShore posted:

Mindslaver is way to expensive. Classic Magic can do one better though, Word of Command is almost as good (maybe better, being an instant) and only costs two black:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Gilgameshback posted:

So this is Single Player En Garde?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

bobvonunheil posted:

Expect player elimination, brinkmanship, kingmaking, bashing the leader, and basically everything that eurogames have been systematically eliminating from boardgaming for the last 20 years.

I don't want to sound like I'm calling you out or anything, but one of the Spiel des Jahres nominees this year, Imhotep, is essentially brinksmanship: the game. It also looks really good, except for the cards.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Imhotep is super fun and very accessible to gamers of any kind.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

CommonShore posted:

Not long ago Magic banned key cards from a deck called "eggs" that essentially recycled its own deck and discard pile ad infinitum while chipping away at the opponent because it would usually just leave the opponent sitting there tapping the table hoping to catch the player in a tournament procedural error to win by DQ.

That's literally what it was, a Corp that recycled its discard pile infinitely and then slowly chipped away at the Runner until they finally died while making it practically impossible for the Runner to score. The drawback is they pretty much could never actually score more than maybe one point a game and took forever to win both in terms of turns and in real time so a Runner that lucks into an early agenda could slow down the game until time got called and since they technically were ahead on points despite being close to death and not likely to get enough points to win, they'd get a modified win on time.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Quixotic1 posted:

Right, it seems like it could be so good but despite the designers' enthusiasm and good intentions there's just no game there. Has anyone played any of the more conventional wargames from the same designers, like the La Bataille series?

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

For those of you who don't have it Scythe comes with a little achievement sheet for players to fill out after each game which is pretty cool. Our group was toying with making one for some of our other regular games like Eclipse. Past the inane 'win the game with Planta' or 'win the game without plasma missiles or improved hull' which is pretty obvious.. what other obscure achievements would be good?

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.
I have a potential trade on BGG for a copy of Twilight Struggle, but it's a 1st edition with a set of printed updated rules. I guess I'm asking if I should value it less because it's not the latest edition. Can anyone tell me if the differences between the editions are significant? I saw something somewhere about an upgrade pack for the early editions so I could buy that if it matters.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Acceptableloss posted:

I have a potential trade on BGG for a copy of Twilight Struggle, but it's a 1st edition with a set of printed updated rules. I guess I'm asking if I should value it less because it's not the latest edition. Can anyone tell me if the differences between the editions are significant? I saw something somewhere about an upgrade pack for the early editions so I could buy that if it matters.

It probably has the original Aldrich Ames card, which kinda blows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I also don't really care for really big, long, and complicated games. I especially am not big on stuff that is like a complicated war game.

The most fun part of gaming to me (tabletop or computer) is trying to learn from a previous play and optimize my opening and strategy again. Games that let me do that with a higher skill ceiling while still letting my whole strategy play out in less than two hours are ideal.

For a board game, I really like them specifically because friends who aren't into computer games can enjoy that same idea. Ideally a board game isn't needlessly complex or long, which makes getting someone else to play it much less likely.

When Mage Knight came out, I felt like it was the ultimate board game. It's still really good and I like it quite a bit, but I feel that some of the early moves you make are too key and easy to botch for what ends up being a game that usually takes longer than two hours. The game kind of presents itself as this adventure fantasy world where you can go around and explore, but in reality you have to stick pretty hard on schedule to completing objectives which will let you keep on pace with winning the game. This issue can fairly easily be solved if the person teaching the game is aware of it and warns new players, but on top of the pretty convoluted rules, it can be overload and not particularly fun for people who aren't into huge, complicated games.

Starcraft the RTS (not board game) also has an easy to botch opening, where if you mis-micro or build the wrong building in the first 2 minutes, you can lose the game. The difference in Starcraft vs. Mage Knight (or most overly complex board games) is that a mistake like that generally will lose you the game in a few minutes rather than slowly over the course of 2+ hours.

I think a good thing for a game's length is if after you finish a game, you can reasonably say, "Want to play another?" A game that takes an hour and a half could be pushing it for this, but it's still a reasonable thing to ask fi you both enjoyed it. With a game that takes like three hours, unless you're just planning to game all day anyway, you're likely not going to rematch right away.