Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

BigRed0427 posted:

Im up to the Ring theory bit so far.

I'm sorry, but what the gently caress are you talking about. Guy who wrote this theory :psyduck:

Be glad you haven't ventured into the SW thread. It's a favorite topic of some of the locals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Thank god the ill-advised return of A Basement Rapist Reviews saved us from the NMS discussion

TheMaestroso posted:

Be glad you haven't ventured into the SW thread. It's a favorite topic of some of the locals.

Really jumping the gun with the bitching about CineD this round

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

TheMaestroso posted:

Could you give some examples of games as art so we get some context for what you're trying to say? All such games I've played that had minimal to not-good gameplay have been rather short experiences.

Dungeon

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm only 15 minutes in but I'm rather glad he talked about the Star Wars zeitgeist. These 5-year plan things Disney has with these films is just goddamn crazy. That said, I do hope Rogue One ends up good. I heard they had to do some reshoots, so hopefully that isn't studio meddling.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jimbot posted:

I'm only 15 minutes in but I'm rather glad he talked about the Star Wars zeitgeist. These 5-year plan things Disney has with these films is just goddamn crazy. That said, I do hope Rogue One ends up good. I heard they had to do some reshoots, so hopefully that isn't studio meddling.

A lot of movies do reshoots, both good and bad. I am hoping that Gareth Edwards brings some new stuff to the plate, because while Abrams is obviously sending a love letter to the originals with Force Awakens, I want to see a radical new take on Star Wars. A gritty, desperate war film set in the universe could be amazing. Republic Commando did it well, so I want Rogue One to succeed too.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Jimbot posted:

I'm 40 minutes in and so far he still hasn't said anything about the force awakens.

It's nice to know that they hate listicles though, that's an important and good topic.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Ring Theory is the No Man's Sky of Star Wars analysis.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Really disappointed the red letter crew hasn't outgrown the plinkett character as I thought they had.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

A lot of movies do reshoots, both good and bad. I am hoping that Gareth Edwards brings some new stuff to the plate, because while Abrams is obviously sending a love letter to the originals with Force Awakens, I want to see a radical new take on Star Wars. A gritty, desperate war film set in the universe could be amazing. Republic Commando did it well, so I want Rogue One to succeed too.

Yeah, that's true. I'm just thinking about what Warner did to their last two superhero films and I just don't care to see it happen to the one Star Wars film that looks interesting to me. I can appreciate a fun, safe love letter to the original film, but I just have no desire to watch The Force Awakens again. Rogue One, to me, looks pretty compelling and is doing something pretty interesting. Or maybe that's just Hollywood perfecting the art of trailer hype.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Oh my god, comparing The Force Awakens to Hurricane Neddy is perfect.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

His bit about the no sex thing in Star Wars is...interesting. I think because they ave two more movies, Rey and Finn's relationship growth will be stretched across them. By 9 Rey and Finn will kiss. :toxx:

I will say the hand wringing over Cinematic Universes are kind of dumb. The only successful one so far is the Avenger Movies. All the other attempts at it failed after one or two movies and I would be shocked if we ever get Avatar 2. The ten year plan for Star wars will follow the same for Marvel Studios. The films will all eventually be kind of bland but still fun and competent, and will ultimately fail because people stop giving a poo poo.

Edit: Triggered jokes are really eyerolling though, but not that BAD. I can tell the difference between someone telling Trans jokes that doesn't know any better and someone wo is saying "But seriously, gently caress these trannies"

Edit Again: OH! And the Taco Bell Plinkett's son plowed into in Hamden is right down the street from my house :haw:

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 3, 2016

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Jack Gladney posted:

Really disappointed the red letter crew hasn't outgrown the plinkett character as I thought they had.

There's always a fresh crop of 14 year olds and people who are still mentally 14

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Jimbot posted:

Yeah, that's true. I'm just thinking about what Warner did to their last two superhero films and I just don't care to see it happen to the one Star Wars film that looks interesting to me. I can appreciate a fun, safe love letter to the original film, but I just have no desire to watch The Force Awakens again. Rogue One, to me, looks pretty compelling and is doing something pretty interesting. Or maybe that's just Hollywood perfecting the art of trailer hype.

I believe the Rogue One reshoots were something Edwards and crew had already decided on and they were just announced around the same time as a focus group being kinda down on it. The timing was really bad and that led to some worry.

I'm also only going off of a vague memory of the SW Book thread when they started worrying about it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Kunster posted:

Skip around until 55 minutes if you actually want to hear stuff about the movie and not Mike Stoklasa bemoan about millenials rather than the movie.
Or that movie studios want to plan poo poo out in order to make money.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
I honestly thought this was kind of bad. There's some decent stuff in there eventually but they obviously did not have enough material to do an actual review of Force Awakens which would be why it isn't mentioned until 54 minutes in

The padding material to get there wasn't especially interesting and Plinkett monotone made it feel even longer and more unbearable.

kaleidolia
Apr 25, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

Or that movie studios want to plan poo poo out in order to make money.

I get hating both those things, but I really don't need to hear an hours' worth of lecture about them from a dude pretending to be a basement rapist. Which I'm pretty sure was the point, but I could be wrong.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

BigRed0427 posted:

His bit about the no sex thing in Star Wars is...interesting. I think because they ave two more movies, Rey and Finn's relationship growth will be stretched across them. By 9 Rey and Finn will kiss. :toxx:

I will say the hand wringing over Cinematic Universes are kind of dumb. The only successful one so far is the Avenger Movies. All the other attempts at it failed after one or two movies and I would be shocked if we ever get Avatar 2. The ten year plan for Star wars will follow the same for Marvel Studios. The films will all eventually be kind of bland but still fun and competent, and will ultimately fail because people stop giving a poo poo.

Edit: Triggered jokes are really eyerolling though, but not that BAD. I can tell the difference between someone telling Trans jokes that doesn't know any better and someone wo is saying "But seriously, gently caress these trannies"

Edit Again: OH! And the Taco Bell Plinkett's son plowed into in Hamden is right down the street from my house :haw:
Plus the Avatar sequels were going to get made regardless of the MCU success

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Seemlar posted:

I honestly thought this was kind of bad. There's some decent stuff in there eventually but they obviously did not have enough material to do an actual review of Force Awakens which would be why it isn't mentioned until 54 minutes in

The padding material to get there wasn't especially interesting and Plinkett monotone made it feel even longer and more unbearable.

Yea it was just...really boring. Like, I don't want to listen to some dude rant about how movies exist to make money as if that's new, or how somehow kids these days are wrecking things because reasons. I especially don't give a poo poo about that for nearly an hour in a loving Star Wars review.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Holy balls, people must really like Fallout 3. I'm watching hbomer's Fallout 3 video and it nearly has as many dislikes as likes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I feel like Plinkett's review overall would have been better if they had split the parts up like their older reviews. Or at least, split the actual Force Awakens anal cyst and the Cultural Star Wars rambling into separate videos.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Jimbot posted:

Holy balls, people must really like Fallout 3. I'm watching hbomer's Fallout 3 video and it nearly has as many dislikes as likes.

Bethesda fanboys.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Jimbot posted:

He does screech a lot, which is grating, but that doesn't completely ruin the video.

but yeah, what the other guy said, fanboys gonna fanboy.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Okay, I've been out of the circle for a bit but I was thinking about The Nut Shack's theme a month ago and now it's cropping up as a meme and I feel like I'm somehow responsible. :tinfoil:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I can't believe that movies nowadays are just a bunch of sequels and reboots.

unrelated, but did you know that between 1937 and 1958, there were 16 Andy Hardy movies made?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The preoccupation with George Lucas's person has only gotten creepier.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
I've never found RLM's Plinkett reviews the most fun or interesting part of their channel, but its what they're known for and all the fans have been clamoring for this, so I won't begrudge them their fun. But I won't be watching it.

Pirate Jenny
Mar 28, 2006

Sie wissen nicht, mit wem Sie reden.
RLM is starting to turn from a satire of an old man who yells at clouds to an actual old man who yells at clouds. So much hand wringing over what other people (millennials) have said about the prequels on the Internet, not to mention the really drawn-out non-point about cinematic universes (again, we really only have the one that's been successful). Even comparing his assessment of TFA to his initial assessment of Star Trek the Star Trek is flawed because the initial problems that worsened with Into Darkness weren't at all what his issue was with The Force Awakens. This was ultimately 1:45 to draw out what was ultimately a really weak and hollow point.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The self-important posturing about them being the ones setting the conversation about movies on the internet really grates against their usual self-deprecation and hand-me-down, suburban white-boy Troma-derivative style. For gently caress's sake, they were just the first film school graduates desperate enough to jump onto the internet critic bandwagon, and they're usually smart enough not to be proud of that.

There's a shocking lack of self-awareness there when they talk about "my Star Wars" and the hollywood machine "tricking people."

I AM GRANDO fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 3, 2016

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yeah that video is pretty embarrassing. Even if I agree with almost everything it says I'm compelled to disagree with it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The video did show me something hilarious about new Star Wars that I never noticed: child flashback Daisy Ridley is wearing the same clothes and exact same silly haircut as her adult self.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Jack Gladney posted:

There's a shocking lack of self-awareness there when they talk about "my Star Wars" and the hollywood machine "tricking people."

Now that I think about it, this is pretty dumb too. Hollywood has always been a business. Star Wars has always been a mercy cash cow. The only difference today is that there is more of it and modern big studios have figured out how to get a movie out in about a year and a half. You can argue the way Hollywood works today with wanting everything to be proven bankable before a script is written is really shifty and nothing "New" comes out of Hollywood. But saying "Star Wars is so corporate now" is total bullshit because it's always been corporate. Hell, a lot of franchises and celebrities in the 70s got stuff like The Holiday Special. It's only unique because of how loving stupid the Star Wars one is.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Jack Gladney posted:

The video did show me something hilarious about new Star Wars that I never noticed: child flashback Daisy Ridley is wearing the same clothes and exact same silly haircut as her adult self.

To be fair, that's a lot of films, to ensure that people can identify the flashback character as their modern day incarnation.

Also the silly haircut is to make a lame joke about how this is the third Star Wars trilogy chronologically, after Padme's one bun and Leia's two.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It was still pretty funny to see all those stupid lists pop up online after Disney acquired the franchise. That sure didn't look suspicious. Nope. Nosiree!

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I'm still not sure what point they were trying to make on diversity. "I guess diversity is good, I guess, but, but, but, it's symbolic of this being made by a corporation, and kids don't care so really it would have been better if they were all white men, y'know, like the old Star Wars"

I really didn't like this video; their arguments are weird and sometimes self-contradictory (condemning The Force Awakens for being too much like a new hope, while also criticizing aspects for being too different), it's insecure (there is an inordinate amount of time spent complaining about defenders of the prequels in a supposed review of a later entry), and the central shtick has lost a lot of its humour.

I've been losing my fondness for RLM for a while now, this new video seems decidedly not self-aware, and they seem to be skirting around the angry anti-feminist weirdo demographic, which is troubling to behold.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Maybe the whole thing mirrors force awakens, with all the rlm fans wanting it to be like the old plinkett reviews

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Jimbot posted:

I mean that ultimately just works in Hbomer's favor, because of the way youtube analytics work.

Well, people might get angry enough to harass them, but Fallout 3 isn't a sprawling space game so I think he's safe from the worst people in video game fandoms

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I just found the diversity aspect of TFA rather inadvertently revealing: even though leads can be women or black people, the moral universe of the story has stayed the same, if not regressed. The endless, vague partisan conflict is actively less nuanced than what's come before. A metaphor for post-2008 America, I guess?

Jimbot posted:

Thanks for reminding me of how much I liked this review.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

SunAndSpring posted:

He does screech a lot, which is grating, but that doesn't completely ruin the video.
I will endeavour to be funny without screeching next time. I'm experimenting with these things called 'jokes'.

Pirate Jenny posted:

RLM is starting to turn from a satire of an old man who yells at clouds to an actual old man who yells at clouds. So much hand wringing over what other people (millennials) have said about the prequels on the Internet, not to mention the really drawn-out non-point about cinematic universes (again, we really only have the one that's been successful). Even comparing his assessment of TFA to his initial assessment of Star Trek the Star Trek is flawed because the initial problems that worsened with Into Darkness weren't at all what his issue was with The Force Awakens. This was ultimately 1:45 to draw out what was ultimately a really weak and hollow point.
It's really weird how a series of videos that make jokes about getting aids from a movie and so on somehow don't also get that Lucas was using similar, equally heavy-handed rhetoric with the 'white slavers' thing.

I've noticed more and more in 'edgy' humour lately that it plays fast and loose with words that have a lot of baggage, but then turns around and pretends everyone else really definitely means everything they say exactly as they say it, pulling people down on the implications of their words.

The edgy basement rapist character who makes a point of saying 'tranny' to show how edgy he is is calling Lucas out on comparing a company to slavers.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Karloff posted:

I'm still not sure what point they were trying to make on diversity. "I guess diversity is good, I guess, but, but, but, it's symbolic of this being made by a corporation, and kids don't care so really it would have been better if they were all white men, y'know, like the old Star Wars"

I really didn't like this video; their arguments are weird and sometimes self-contradictory (condemning The Force Awakens for being too much like a new hope, while also criticizing aspects for being too different), it's insecure (there is an inordinate amount of time spent complaining about defenders of the prequels in a supposed review of a later entry), and the central shtick has lost a lot of its humour.

I've been losing my fondness for RLM for a while now, this new video seems decidedly not self-aware, and they seem to be skirting around the angry anti-feminist weirdo demographic, which is troubling to behold.

These are the same guys who said that racism in hollywood was over because of Melvin Van Peebles and Superfly. Also there's that one review with a woman in it where they mock her for liking romantic comedies and explain to all women everywhere that if they went to see good movies then hollywood would make good movies.

Also what the gently caress there's just one black character in the movie. All the other characters are white. They had to bring up Ken Leung's nine-second cameo and Lucas' daughter being in the background of one scene to make the movie seem like it wasn't all white people. Daisy Ridley doesn't count as white to them because? She's even British, which is like the most white you can be in an American movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I thought the video was... ehh I guess. I took it more as an exploration of Star Wars than a tfa review so I wasn't too disappointed that the movie wasn't talked about too much. Still I agree with most of what people have said about it here.

• Locked thread