Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Good call on the etouffe, I will do that next. I think a lot of the thickness factor was due to kind of ignoring the stock part. I ended up making about a quart of stock to add to the roux, since I didn't know how big a standard "box" was and I figured I could always add more stock if it's too thick. We ended up liking it but will probably add more stock next time so that it's a bit less stew-like. Still delicious either way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Hed posted:

Good call on the etouffe, I will do that next. I think a lot of the thickness factor was due to kind of ignoring the stock part. I ended up making about a quart of stock to add to the roux, since I didn't know how big a standard "box" was and I figured I could always add more stock if it's too thick. We ended up liking it but will probably add more stock next time so that it's a bit less stew-like. Still delicious either way!

Yeah its pretty awesome stuff no matter the thickness. Glad it worked for you.

Etoufee is my fave though so I always push people to try that over gumbo.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I love etouffee but it's so goddamn rich and thick I feel like my arteries are clogging as I eat it

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I love etouffee but it's so goddamn rich and thick I feel like my arteries are clogging as I eat it

That means you're doing it right.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Mushika posted:

That means you're doing it right.

My father in law makes etouffee 5-6 gallons at a time and freezes them in quart containers to stick the freezer. Great to pull out on a winter night.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Phil Moscowitz posted:

My father in law makes etouffee 5-6 gallons at a time and freezes them in quart containers to stick the freezer. Great to pull out on a winter night.

Smart man, that one. You married well. When can I come over for dinner?

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I never gave much thought to this but poo poo.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

They have a full-sized freezer that is slammed to the gills with quart containers of gumbo, etouffee, maque choux, various stocks, purreed berries, gallon ziploc bags of fish and blue crabs, and not just a few shrimp and rice stuffed chickens. The man makes jambalaya in one of these:

(not him obv. I got the pic from this site - http://www.anotherpintplease.com/home//2012/01/brew-day-jambalaya-edition.html)

I tend to eat pretty well when I visit them.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Phil Moscowitz posted:

They have a full-sized freezer that is slammed to the gills with quart containers of gumbo, etouffee, maque choux, various stocks, purreed berries, gallon ziploc bags of fish and blue crabs, and not just a few shrimp and rice stuffed chickens. The man makes jambalaya in one of these:

(not him obv. I got the pic from this site - http://www.anotherpintplease.com/home//2012/01/brew-day-jambalaya-edition.html)

I tend to eat pretty well when I visit them.

That is awesome. My great-uncle does the same thing. My mom didn't cook as much but we did always have an extra freezer full of shrimp, fish, venison, ducks and generally a bunch of different kinds of stock.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

I have been pointed towards this thread as the appropriate place to share these:
Tasty, tasty gumbo recipes.
I brought these up in the food pictures thread to explain the who gives a poo poo attitude concerning the specific items that go in cajun/creole food. I had specifically mentioned the second recipe on that page, the "diaspora gumbo." From what I understand, while my grandparents were in Vietnam in the 70's, my grandmother would give that recipe to those fleeing the country, and so it has that pick-and-choose section to account for them really having no idea what ingredients would be available wherever they ended up.

On a gumbo-related note, bringing this up has me decided that I'm making gumbo next week. I've got no idea which of the 8 or so recipes I've got floating around I plan on using, or if I'm just going to make something up. I do know that I've got me and my roommates set to cook a poo poo-ton of bacon this week, at least until we've managed to save up a pounbd of lard for the roux. Also, according to OP, apparently my family's been doing gumbo slightly wrong. We've always served it like an etouffee, with the gumbo poured (or scooped, if it's leftovers) atop the rice.

Will report and post pictures when I make it.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

DO IT

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

LogicalFallacy posted:

I have been pointed towards this thread as the appropriate place to share these:
Tasty, tasty gumbo recipes.
I brought these up in the food pictures thread to explain the who gives a poo poo attitude concerning the specific items that go in cajun/creole food. I had specifically mentioned the second recipe on that page, the "diaspora gumbo." From what I understand, while my grandparents were in Vietnam in the 70's, my grandmother would give that recipe to those fleeing the country, and so it has that pick-and-choose section to account for them really having no idea what ingredients would be available wherever they ended up.

On a gumbo-related note, bringing this up has me decided that I'm making gumbo next week. I've got no idea which of the 8 or so recipes I've got floating around I plan on using, or if I'm just going to make something up. I do know that I've got me and my roommates set to cook a poo poo-ton of bacon this week, at least until we've managed to save up a pounbd of lard for the roux. Also, according to OP, apparently my family's been doing gumbo slightly wrong. We've always served it like an etouffee, with the gumbo poured (or scooped, if it's leftovers) atop the rice.

Will report and post pictures when I make it.

Hell yeah, do it!

Will be neat to see how another former french colony ends up repurposing the dish.

Also, I dunno that the OP method for how its served up is right or wrong. If it tastes good it's right?

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Hed posted:

Gotta say thanks to "me your dad" for pointing out a good butcher to get Andouille in the DC area. \

Wait what, where? MUST HAVE

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

the_chavi posted:

Wait what, where? MUST HAVE

Have you tried Harvey's at Union Market? They make a good andouille

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

drgitlin posted:

Have you tried Harvey's at Union Market? They make a good andouille

Nahh, I haven't been there in a while. Will check it out! My friend from Lafayette who normally keeps my freezer stocked hasn't been up to visit in several months.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Here's the post I was referring to:

me your dad posted:

For anyone in the DC metro area, Logan's Sausage in Alexandria makes a pretty good Andouille. I've also gotten a good Andouille from the butcher shop 'Let's Meat on the Avenue' in Del Ray, but his stock is unpredictable.

Supposedly the Logan's Sausage stock is around grocery stores but my wife works near their main building so she just went in there and picked it up. I think it was pretty good.

Anyone here make their own Andouille? I'm getting a meat grinder and all kinds of stuff, so I'll probably make an attempt soon.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Hed posted:

Here's the post I was referring to:

Supposedly the Logan's Sausage stock is around grocery stores but my wife works near their main building so she just went in there and picked it up. I think it was pretty good.

Anyone here make their own Andouille? I'm getting a meat grinder and all kinds of stuff, so I'll probably make an attempt soon.

Someone posted a homemade Andouille once that looked awesome but it might have been in the charcutrie thread and not in here. I can't recall anymore.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3438423

holttho
May 21, 2007

Hey, that's probably me! I still do all the charcuterie stuff, though don't have much time to post anymore (new job that doesn't offer the time/privacy to do so)

holttho posted:

I was reading the Cajun thread the other day (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570811) and wanted to make some gumbo. Though I live in Chicago with good access to somewhat real andouille, I figured buying things is for quitters. Also, I'm lazy and cheap.

I used a bastardized cross between Ruhlman and TheSpicySausage.com andouille #1 recipe. I picked up some of those family packs of 'blade chops' as they were somehow cheaper than a whole-intact shoulder. Ground and stuffed about 6lbs of sausage, then smoked for about 3hours in a somewhat warm smoker (about 150-170F). I use a hotplate with a pan of wood chips (apple this time; it's what I had on hand) and my horrible, cheap, prone-to-starting-itself-on-fire smoker.

(ignore the grubbiness of the grate)

My god is it good. At first I was a little worried about the slightly crispy, over-done spots, but they are actually the best parts.

--I also threw on some bacon wrapped chicken legs because why not.

holttho posted:

So I decided I would make some gumbo. Though I live in Chicago with good access to somewhat real andouille, I figured buying things is for quitters: I'm gonna make it.

So I have made the OP-quote gumbo recipe in the past, and the only change I make is I use slightly less roux. The OP calls for a 9:9oz roux, I use a 6:6oz. Also, I didn't bother to get any file. Otherwise, I made the recipe pretty faithfully.

Day 1: LARD!

I do the oven baked roux, as I've never been let down by it and it is very forgiving. The first two pictures here are within about 3-5 minutes of each other, then every other picture is about 20 minutes apart in a 350F oven. Just take it out, stir till it is completely smooth (it will separate a bit) then pop it back in. I could have probably gone another 40-60 minutes if I was daring, but it was closing in on bedtime by the last installment and I wanted time to cool it off before I chucked it in the fridge.

Day 2: The rest of it

1:1:1 onion:celery:green pepper. I would say there is probably a little over a cup of each, though the way I do this, I probably won't use all of it. The way I do this is after it is all diced up, I mix it all up nice and even and once the roux is back up to temperature, I toss in the veg a handful at a time. What I am looking for is the roux to stick completely to the veg with none pooled on the bottom. I used about 90% of the trinity. It's gonna hiss and steam and try to bully you something fierce, but stay strong! Stir it hard. You'll tame it yet. Hit the brakes as late as you dare.

Get the stock ready to dump and saute/fry the vegetables for roughly 10 minutes then kill it with stock. Normally I make my own stock, but I had enough dishes to create for the party I am making this for. I used 2 boxes and 1 can chicken broth. However, I only dumped in the can and one of the boxes. The other was going to be fortified with my process leftovers.

Since I made the sausage myself, I had some bone scraps and onion as well as the excess trinity and all the shrimp shell. Also, I had some potato peels from the Cajun potato salad I am having for accompaniment as well as some mushrooms that I needed to use up. Toss it all in. Hell, I paid for it, I'm gonna get my money's worth.

Toss in chicken thighs and let simmer for 3+ hours. Dump in the fortified stock when it's ready. Add spices. The chicken will disintegrate into little strands by the end of this.

Toss in sliced okras and a couple sausages cut into 1/4" slices. Only want to put these in within 30 or so minutes before finishing or the sausage will get tough and the smoked skin will lose its pleasant snap when bitten. I thought about frying up the sausage before putting in, but they are already powerful flavorful, so I didn't bother. Realize the gumbo is a little thick, dump in half a Tecate.

Just before transferring to the crock pot to bring to my party, dump in the shrimp and kill the heat. There is more than enough heat to cook the shrimp through in the gumbo. Serve with potato salad and rice(on the side) and bread.

I forgot to take a picture of the final bit, but I brought roughly a gallon of gumbo and went home with an empty crock.

Recipe used:

6:6oz dark lard roux
1c diced onion
1c diced celery
1c diced g.pepper
15 okras
1.5lb of chicken thigh meat. I used boneless, but that's because it was a good deal and I didn't want to bother fishing out the knob of cartilage afterwards.
1lb 41-50 shrimp
2lb andouille
(2) 48oz chicken stock cartons + (1) 24oz chicken stock can
~1T cayenne pepper
~1T thyme
3-4 bay leaves
couple good cracks of pepper
salt
~6oz beer

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Oh god :jackbud:

Thanks man you are a treasure.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Now that it's approaching Thanksgiving, I'm starting to think in earnest about that Cajun turkey stuffing recipe idea that I had awhile back. I decided to use a mix of andouille and chorizo, and right now I'm trying to decide whether I should use cornbread or French bread. I'm also looking for a good stuffing recipe to use as a base, so anybody with a good stuffing recipe, post it here! :)

I'd kinda like to make this tomorrow for a party some of my friends are having, if possible.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Dirty rice is the best dressing but I don't think that's what you're looking for...though it could probably work with andouille and chorizo.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Dirty rice is the best dressing but I don't think that's what you're looking for...though it could probably work with andouille and chorizo.

Yeah I'm looking for a more traditional bread-based stuffing, but my goal is to tailor it so it uses the full trinity instead of just the celery and onion, and add the sausage.

Also I'd like to add a little liquor to it for flavor, because I like cooking with liquor.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I always think of Turducken as being Cajun/from Louisiana, so I'm putting this here because...I can't really think of anywhere else for it to go. someone taking Turducken to it's horrifying conclusion:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Well I made the stuffing. I used this recipe, substituting sage sausage for half andouille and half chorizo, and adding bay leaves, a green bell pepper, 3 tsp cayenne, and 1/4 cup Jack Daniels. It's in the oven right now.

It's... okay, but it tastes like it's missing something. Maybe not enough salt? Also I think I should've either skipped the cayenne or used less. Apart from that it's not bad, but I wish I could figure out what seems to be missing.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Well I made the stuffing. I used this recipe, substituting sage sausage for half andouille and half chorizo, and adding bay leaves, a green bell pepper, 3 tsp cayenne, and 1/4 cup Jack Daniels. It's in the oven right now.

It's... okay, but it tastes like it's missing something. Maybe not enough salt? Also I think I should've either skipped the cayenne or used less. Apart from that it's not bad, but I wish I could figure out what seems to be missing.

How was your stock?

Try adding in a little garlic and salted butter maybe? Also if you have any giblets brown those up a little and melt your butter in that, whisk out add minced garlic until fragrant and roll all of that into the stuffing. I like having just a few caraway seeds in mine if the sausage doesn't already have some in it.

Edit: maybe a little thyme also?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Shooting Blanks posted:

I always think of Turducken as being Cajun/from Louisiana, so I'm putting this here because...I can't really think of anywhere else for it to go. someone taking Turducken to it's horrifying conclusion:

As tempting as a Cthulhu joke would be right now, that thing just screams "Turkraken" to me.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

Made a big bowl of red beans and rice with andouille on top.

Lol

Worth reading a few pages back to get the joke

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

That Works posted:

How was your stock?

Store-bought, low-sodium chicken broth. So not too good, but I didn't have a turkey on hand to get real stock from so it was the best I could do.

That Works posted:

Try adding in a little garlic and salted butter maybe? Also if you have any giblets brown those up a little and melt your butter in that, whisk out add minced garlic until fragrant and roll all of that into the stuffing. I like having just a few caraway seeds in mine if the sausage doesn't already have some in it.

I already added more garlic than the recipe called for. Although I like garlic so I guess I could've still added more.

Butter was already in the recipe. It's what I used to brown up the sausage. Again, I didn't have any turkey or giblets on hand, or I would've thrown those in too.

That Works posted:

Edit: maybe a little thyme also?

I'll keep this in mind for next time.

Probably throw in some msg, too.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
So a friend came back from the state's and brought me andouille sausages! I invited them and a bunch of others over for gumbo on Sunday. I plan to cook the gumbo tomorrow, chicken and andouille.
This time, I would like to make my own chicken stock from scratch, using the chicken meat in the gumbo.

However, in Germany for making stock we use Suppenhuhn, which is a literal chicken, i.e. female., when roasting chicken, we use male chicken for better meat.

I am not a native speaker, when a recipe for making stock and gumbo says chicken, do they mean a female or male? I.e. should I use a chicken I would roast in this case as I want more meat?
My gut says yes but I wanted to ask before I start.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Hopper posted:

So a friend came back from the state's and brought me andouille sausages! I invited them and a bunch of others over for gumbo on Sunday. I plan to cook the gumbo tomorrow, chicken and andouille.
This time, I would like to make my own chicken stock from scratch, using the chicken meat in the gumbo.

However, in Germany for making stock we use Suppenhuhn, which is a literal chicken, i.e. female., when roasting chicken, we use male chicken for better meat.

I am not a native speaker, when a recipe for making stock and gumbo says chicken, do they mean a female or male? I.e. should I use a chicken I would roast in this case as I want more meat?
My gut says yes but I wanted to ask before I start.

In the United States, practically all chickens consumed as food are female. But, you should use whatever chicken you think would taste better. I assume you are going to butcher the chicken first, and use only the bones to make the stock. Usually, I save the meat to add to the gumbo, in order to avoid leeching all of its flavor into the stock.

Like TW says below either chicken will work. You are making soup so if there is a large price difference female is fine.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 13, 2017

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

In the United States, practically all chickens consumed as food are female. But, you should use whatever chicken you think would taste better. I assume you are going to butcher the chicken first, and use only the bones to make the stock. Usually, I save the meat to add to the gumbo, in order to avoid bleaching all of its flavor into the stock.

Yup, do this.

Butcher 1st, use the meat in your gumbo later, boil down the carcass/bones for stock. I don't think there's really going to be much of a difference there for male vs female when the whole thing is said and done.

If you've got a really nice sausage I'd suggest using 1/4 of it in the gumbo early as it cooks down and then adding the remainder in the last half hour or so of cooking. When I dump in all my sausage at once early it ends up cooking down a lot and getting rubbery and while it improves the flavor of the gumbo, the overall flavor/texture of the sausage loses out.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the advice. I decided to get chicken thighs for the gumbo. Easier to brown and more meat.
I'll buy a soup chicken and make stock separately, the rest of which I will freeze.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If your recipe calls for browning the chicken and using the rendered fat to make roux, keep in mind it's very easy for bits of chicken to burn, which (1) can throw off the roux and (2) can make it hard to distinguish the little black flecks that indicate you have burned the roux. In that case it's better to brown the chicken, deglaze and reserve your fond, and make the roux in a clean pot.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
I am currently in New Orleans and got a roast beef po boy from Johnny's on a whim and it was amazeballs. What is the secret to the gravy? One thing I saw was something called "Kitchen Boutique." Minnesota pot roast deffo doesn't taste this good.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Paper With Lines posted:

One thing I saw was something called "Kitchen Boutique."

Was it this?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitchen_Bouquet

Lol if they are listing that as an ingredient.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
Yeah that was one of the special ingredients folks can use at home according to one of the local papers.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Oh yeah for sure. I thought it was on their menu or something.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Yeah, people use that for coloring / a little MSG kinda like Maggi seasoning.

You'll see people use it in their gumbo etc at times also but generally if you're doing the roux right and have some practice with that you shouldn't need it.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I use it in gumbo purely for color. I have brought a roux to essentially the color of dark chocolate, and once the stock is added to the gumbo, it lightens up significantly. I'm trying different things to get real dark final gumbo, but short of using roux in a jar it doesn't happen without bouquet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I use it in gumbo purely for color. I have brought a roux to essentially the color of dark chocolate, and once the stock is added to the gumbo, it lightens up significantly. I'm trying different things to get real dark final gumbo, but short of using roux in a jar it doesn't happen without bouquet.

I used to use it all the time. The last couple years though the stuff I've made has been dark enough or so close that I didn't bother. Can't really say why that was though but I definitely saw the same things you did.