Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
I'm going to get a pixel xl and there is nothing you can do to stop me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

spiky butthole posted:

I'm going to get a pixel xl and there is nothing you can do to stop me.

I can look at you disdainfully from under the brow of my trilby as I paw at my non-exploding note 7 that I withdraw from my jorts pocket

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
I'm kinda pumped for tomorrow. I'm deciding between an iPhone 7 and the Pixel. I'm not locked into any of the two OSes too much. I'm using a Nexus 7 and an iPhone 6s right now but that new phone itch is getting worse every day.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

I can look at you disdainfully from under the brow of my trilby as I paw at my non-exploding note 7 that I withdraw from my jorts pocket

I will look at you as I pull out my Note 5 and silently weep as I imagine a world where WebOS actually made a impact and was a player in the mobile market today.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Definitely at the point I was with my 5 when the 6 was announced with my 5x, in that I'm perfectly happy with it. Especially as its got a new battery in it

I'm a 2 year cycle nexus person clearly

Also phone tech is so loving dull now, there's been nothing new and exciting for years now, it's just a slight bump in specs and a different rounded slab. I guess the fingerprint scanner is a slight exception

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I'm the unfortunate sucker who's got a 6 and is feeling the crappy battery life and sluggishness but even so these new pixel phones do not appeal to me over their competitors.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
lol im seriously going to end up buying a loving sony phone because the pixel is so underwhelming

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Phandroid seems to think the prices are significantly lower than leaked ($400 for Pixel and $600 for XL.)

I don't know if they have any actual info to back that up or if they are extrapolating based on last year. Won't know until tomorrow I guess.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

With how bad and underwhelming these look, the only way I can see them being a remote success is yeah, if the prices are massively lower than what's been leaked. If it's higher than $600 Canadian loonies based on what we've seen, there's no way it'll sell.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

$400 for a Pixel would be an instant buy for me. All they would need to do would be to not somehow make it worse than last year's Nexuses.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

CLAM DOWN posted:

With how bad and underwhelming these look, the only way I can see them being a remote success is yeah, if the prices are massively lower than what's been leaked. If it's higher than $600 Canadian loonies based on what we've seen, there's no way it'll sell.

If you want a sliver of hope, Jaime Rivera from PocketNow said it was the 128 XL that was USD $649, though it was probably an accident.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

Also phone tech is so loving dull now, there's been nothing new and exciting for years now, it's just a slight bump in specs and a different rounded slab. I guess the fingerprint scanner is a slight exception

This is good. All I want in a phone is for it to work consistently. I'm not using it for party tricks, but I expect the camera to not crash when I want to take a picture. I expect Snapchat to launch quickly enough so I don't miss a moment. Give me the Toyota Camry of phones.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RZA Encryption posted:

This is good. All I want in a phone is for it to work consistently. I'm not using it for party tricks, but I expect the camera to not crash when I want to take a picture. I expect Snapchat to launch quickly enough so I don't miss a moment. Give me the Toyota Camry of phones.
I can't think of any phones that come in metallic beige.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Enjoy your iPhone, then! I know I do.

(They're not actually anything close to Toyota Metallic Beige IRL)

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Endless Mike posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01K...zgJL&ref=plSrch

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

RZA Encryption posted:

Oh I agree, but it does make me not excited for a new phone unless my current one is in terminal decline

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
It's not metallic beige, it's gold, ya dips.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

I prefer champagne as the color nomenclature, thanks.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Neon Belly posted:

I prefer champagne as the color nomenclature, thanks.

Champagne or sandstone for me.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I'm kinda new to this project fi thing, but how do disable the thing where every open gmail tab rings simultaneously 5 seconds before my phone does.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Try using the Gmail app instead of Gmail in chrome?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Looks like my N6 just got the N update.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Endless Mike posted:

Try using the Gmail app instead of Gmail in chrome?

The gmail tabs that ring are on my laptop.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

peepsalot posted:

The gmail tabs that ring are on my laptop.

Sign out of Hangouts in the browser? Why do you have so many gmail tabs open?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Actual shockproof phones would be enormous and no one would buy them. The handful of people who actually care enough can buy cases.

It doesn't need to be immune, just good enough. I've dropped my plastic Galaxy Note too many times during all these years, and it works again after reseating the battery and back cover. I wouldn't drop a Note 7 even once, the phone does not have any removable parts to absorb the shock, and being covered in glass doesn't help.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

docbeard posted:

Looks like my N6 just got the N update.

mine too :woop:

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I have a shockproof waterproof camera that is comparable in size to other cameras in its class. I know it's not totally valid to compare, but given that an iPhone has flattened by 5 mm in its life, I think a lot of people would give that back to get a phone that will survive a good drop. I haven't looked at the S60 dimensions, but I know it's thick.

E: actually the S60 has the same thickness as the iPhone 3g(s) and it will take a 1.8m drop onto concrete.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Ihmemies posted:

It doesn't need to be immune, just good enough. I've dropped my plastic Galaxy Note too many times during all these years, and it works again after reseating the battery and back cover. I wouldn't drop a Note 7 even once, the phone does not have any removable parts to absorb the shock, and being covered in glass doesn't help.
I dropped a Note 7 Edge, it landed on a corner, and the back glass cracked. $71 including return shipping from Samsung, which was p cheap. Yes, it will live in a case from here forward. Stupid @#$@#$ back glass.

In related news, Verizon just told me what they're doing with the $25 per user Samsung is underwriting for Note 7 buyers. It's a $25 discount on any Verizon accessory! All of which Verizon sells at list price! Yaaaay!

Verizon has the best coverage in my area, so :(

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
have you considered that no one wants to make an indestructible phone when idiots will shell out $700 for them repeatedly

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

peepsalot posted:

I'm kinda new to this project fi thing, but how do disable the thing where every open gmail tab rings simultaneously 5 seconds before my phone does.

Disable Hangouts within GMail and use the extension, then mute it from within the extension settings.

eta: On the GMail client, there's even the option right there under Notifications to "Ring on incoming phone calls". Just uncheck that.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Oct 4, 2016

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Mr. Powers posted:

I have a shockproof waterproof camera that is comparable in size to other cameras in its class. I know it's not totally valid to compare, but given that an iPhone has flattened by 5 mm in its life, I think a lot of people would give that back to get a phone that will survive a good drop.

No, they won't, because they can afford Apple Care. The only extra weight they want in their phone is more battery. That's all that the vast majority of phone owners want.
Nobody wants a half-pound piece of poo poo in their pants where the added weight will never, ever, ever matter for 99.999% of the lifetime of the phone.

Battery life on the other hand, is something that is actually relevant 100% of the time a phone exists.

Buy an Otterbox and suck it up.

That being said, I actually spotted a guy with a CAT(erpiller) S50 at The Beer Store™ last month.
They're chunky as gently caress. http://www.catphones.com/en-ca/phones/s60-smartphone

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 4, 2016

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

LastInLine posted:

Disable Hangouts within GMail and use the extension, then mute it from within the extension settings.

eta: On the GMail client, there's even the option right there under Notifications to "Ring on incoming phone calls". Just uncheck that.

Thanks, I found the checkbox. I hadn't realized it was a "Hangouts" thing, i guess I still think of that part of gmail interface as gchat.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Mister Macys posted:

That being said, I actually spotted a guy with a CAT(erpiller) S50 at The Beer Store™ last month.
They're chunky as gently caress. http://www.catphones.com/en-ca/phones/s60-smartphone
I'm not saying it's not chunky, but it's also got a larger than average battery and a thermal imager (which admittedly FLIR has a really small module now). It also has a loop for a carabiner. Shock protection also doesn't need to weigh a lot, it just requires more than the thinnest possible plastic or metal that you can wrap around the electronics without tearing.

E: I must have been remembering the carabiner thing from a different phone.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

gently caress whoever decided that ingame video ads for mobile strike now require you to build a base or whatever. Guess I won't be using that feature anymore.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Verizon leaked some Pixel stuff, including their pricing plans.

$649 Pixel is more or less confirmed now, with the Pixel XL 128 hitting around $870.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/10/03/verizon-evleaks-reveal-even-pixel-pixel-xl-showing-off-blue-color-google-magic/

quote:

A fast-fingered redditor (/u/abattleofone) also grabbed the pricing for the devices. When subsidized, the Pixel in 32GB guise will cost $199.99 (typical for Verizon phones that retail for $650); with 128GB, it'll cost $299.99. The redditor wasn't able to grab the 32GB Pixel XL's price, but found the 128GB XL's price to be $419.99 - that's $120 more than the 128GB standard model. Using basic math skills, we can infer that the 32GB XL will go for $319.99. Considering that we're fairly certain the Pixel will retail for $650, unsubsidized, the 32GB Pixel XL's price may very well be $770 (and $870 for the 128GB XL).

Note; the front of the blue one isn't black:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Oct 4, 2016

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Nothing for me. :eng99:

Mister Macys posted:

Verizon leaked some Pixel stuff, including their pricing plans.

$649 Pixel is more or less confirmed now, with the Pixel XL 128 hitting around $870.

Haha gently caress off Google.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
Got the n update for the chubby chops Nexus 6, still want a pixel. Or an iPhone 7 s plus ultra Quattro + RQ

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

:laffo: if it turns out Goofle worked out a "don't poo poo up our phones" deal with Verizon and VZW got salty about it so they're jacking up the subsidized price.

Granted, that's hilariously unlikely (unlikely both that such a deal would happen at all and that Verizon would actually hold to their word to keep their paws off the software, what's Google going to do, block Verizon phones from the play store?) and unprecedented but it'd be nice if Google didn't shoot their own balls off just this once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Dumb question: if you install a third-party launcher, to what degree does the stock launcher keep running in background? On a scale from "the stock launcher's process is totally killed and only exists as some files in storage" to "the stock launcher is running exactly like before, only invisibly"?