Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Turns out I don't have a XB360 guitar controller in my pile of peripherals. I do have three DJ Hero controllers though! I know that a local shop has some Guitar Hero 2 Xplorers, 3 & World Hero controllers, and maybe a RB controller. Which of those is the overall best for playing RB3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The World Tour guitar felt best for me but since you already have the DJ Hero controllers you might as well try those.

Dreyvas
Jan 13, 2014
I really, really hope PDP's drum hardware doesn't suck. If they make cymbals that don't drop hits I'll be really happy, since I'll be able to get back into pro drums without buying an ekit.

Has anyone played on their drums yet?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Dreyvas posted:

I really, really hope PDP's drum hardware doesn't suck. If they make cymbals that don't drop hits I'll be really happy, since I'll be able to get back into pro drums without buying an ekit.

Has anyone played on their drums yet?

Forget PDP drum hardware just give us the wired USB adapter already!!!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Mr E posted:

Turns out I don't have a XB360 guitar controller in my pile of peripherals. I do have three DJ Hero controllers though! I know that a local shop has some Guitar Hero 2 Xplorers, 3 & World Hero controllers, and maybe a RB controller. Which of those is the overall best for playing RB3?

The GH3 Gibson SG is probably the best controller in my opinion, but the detachable neck means you need to screw it into the body for a reliable connection.

RB controllers can be hit or miss; they have more features and try to be more "realistic" but the reliability of them is even worse.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

The best controllers are the wooden stratocaster replicas but good luck getting those for a decent price. They went from $200>$40 clearance>astronomical collectors prices

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
I thought they started at $300.

I got two at $100, will probably for real cry if they ever die.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

I have one but yes same if my house burns down I will grab that on my way outside

FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

Kaboobi posted:

I have one but yes same if my house burns down I will grab that on my way outside

Not emptyquoting. Why oh why didn't I buy two when they were $50? :smith:

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe
My two wooden strats are my pride and joy, respectively. One has a broken strum bar and the other needs to have the battery case repaired (or replaced...? can I do that?) but I'll never "upgrade" them no matter how many folds Harmonix adds to the next guitar.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
JCLexicon found the October DLC through URL fuckery

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Beelzebozo posted:

Is the October DLC just the Rivals preorder songs? I thought "Save Tonight" was one of them.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

sleepwalkers posted:

Is the October DLC just the Rivals preorder songs? I thought "Save Tonight" was one of them.

Looks that way, but there were only 10 pre-order songs.

Or maybe they're just listing the pre-order songs in addition to the actual DLC, which is still 2 per week. That would add up to 18.

Ice To Meet You fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Oct 3, 2016

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Beelzebozo posted:

It's like opening a care package from a vegan aunt you never talk to.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

sleepwalkers posted:

Yeah, those are all on there, but so are some other ones. I guess this means they will be selling the pre-order songs very soon after Rivals ships. I wanna say the RB4 pre-order songs weren't sold generally for at least a month, but I could be misremembering.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I hate this thread. I legitimately hate that this thread has made me aware of that "Sound of Silence" cover. Oh gently caress you all.

And also any time someone complains about the metal in Rock Band all I can think is "Yeah okay well there are a whole two loving Smiths songs, the arguably worst Joy Division song, and even when they bothered to get Cracker and Midnight Oil in the same week they picked bafflingly boring choices from both, so gently caress you".

Oh, uh, I mean, I guess "at least I can finally play Alex Chilton in RB4".

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Yeah, but when are we gonna get more metal though, right?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
So my friend has a 360, but I'm gonna bring my own over just to make sure everything goes smoothly with customs (between DLC on the HDD, customs on a USB stick, and my gamer profile on the internal MU, this just seems like the most foolproof way to go about it). I just wanna make sure of one thing - do all 360s before that black "slim" model use the same power cable/brick? I know the original cream-color model had a couple of different revisions (mostly to do with adding an HDMI port I think) but I forget whether the power supplies were the same across the board. Just hoping to avoid digging behind my entertainment center if I don't have to.

Kaboobi posted:

Hilariously enough, for a couple weeks in RB4 highlighting "Happy?" in the in game store would start playing Pharrell's "Happy" instead, before it was even announced to be coming with Rivals. Oops.

TrojanNemo posted:

The issue with the Mudvayne and Pharrell songs is indeed caused by the files having the same internal name. On Xbox it's difficult to visualize, since the songs are contained within a CON file, but if you look at how PS3 does it, it makes much more sense - the song files are kept in loose folders, with the name of the folder being the same name as the internal name of the CON files. So if you had Mudvayne's Happy?, and then installed Pharrell's Happy on the PS3, you would be overwriting the Mudvayne song's files. On the Xbox, now you have two files with conflicting paths...this is fixed by 1) using a prefix for your songs (farottone's songs all have far_namehere format, and he therefore doesn't ever experience these kind of issues), or 2) using the name of the artist and the name of the song in the file name in Magma (this again would produce a unique file name and folder structure).

The current tool in C3 CON Tools to change the song ID only does that, and it can't address the folder structure. The X360 library does not have a method for renaming a folder, so the only way to do it would be extract and rebuild the CON file altogether. Luckily that's pretty trivial with CON Creator in C3 CON Tools, as you can drag the entire folder structure in and it adds almost everything for you. It also helps that these kinds of issues are relatively rare, so it's not a huge issue.

farottone posted:

Wait, does it usually solve the issue then?

TrojanNemo posted:

It can only change the issue of conflicting song IDs, not of conflicting file paths. Neither are common problems, but the file path problem is much less so than conflicting IDs. Some have found that you need to change the internal name of the file as well, which is a pending request for C3 CON Tools to integrate. I don't know how useful that will be on its own.
Great info guys, thanks for elaborating. :cheers: Cool to know I was on the right track with my thinking there!

Minidust fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 3, 2016

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Every single one of those songs is terrible and also how was 3AM not in this game already? Pop Band 4.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

well I'd get Stop from that list for GH2 nostalgia but that's it

where the gently caress is my Them Crooked Vultures pack or even QotSA Like Clockwork pack. gently caress I'd even take Eagles of Death Metal, it's a crime the one song they put in is one of their most boring

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

MinibarMatchman posted:

the one song they put in is one of their most boring

What's the over/under on the number of bands in Rock Band that can be described by this sentence?

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Every single one of those songs is terrible and also how was 3AM not in this game already? Pop Band 4.

How dare you say that about Flagpole Sitta

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

https://twitter.com/RockBand/status/782943551239794689

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

I'm gonna go out on a limb and call right now that Flagpole Sitta has hosed up stems.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Kaboobi posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and call right now that Flagpole Sitta has hosed up stems.

BaaAAAaaAAaaaAAAaa
I'm nOooot sick bUUuUUuuut I'm not

Stop whammying the choruses, prick.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Xad posted:

How dare you say that about Flagpole Sitta

Because somehow that's the one song on the list I missed. I take it back, October has the best DLC yet!

But yeah, hosed stems guaranteed.

e: And Stop too. Holy poo poo I need glasses apparently.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Flagpole Sitta and Stop are actually really awesome.

Beelzebozo posted:

What's the over/under on the number of bands in Rock Band that can be described by this sentence?

To be fair, there are a number of bands that they got the "one song that would work in Rock Band" for. Like, "Kool Thing" and "Teenage Riot" aren't literally the only Sonic Youth songs that would work but every other song that would work sounds extremely similar to one of those two. I guess "Into the Groovey" would be fine but that's quite obviously something that could have never happened.

e: However, "Blue Monday" over "Temptation" still baffles me, I know the former is the more popular song but it's dead boring on every instrument except keys (RIP)

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Kaboobi posted:

Far from a limb, I'd say that's a better than even money bet at this point. That song has been heavily requested by the community for years. If they're able to license it for release now, then more likely than not the things holding it up from prior release were technical audio standards, which all seem to be out the window these days.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Beelzebozo posted:

I mean, let's just look at stuff from the last year.

Recently, HandClap is basically Fitz and the Tantrums' most boring song, anything off of Picking up the Pieces would have been better.

Shimmer would have been a better Fuel song IMO.

I know we got three Third Eye Blind songs, but having Jumper as the one that was rereleased is baffling.

The one Daft Punk song we got is inarguably their most popular but so many others would have worked better.

Same with the one DFA1979 and Twenty One Pilots tracks we got. (though twenty one pilots are terrible anyway so)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
And as I alluded to earlier, "Teen Angst" and "The Power and the Passion" are bizarrely terrible choices for Cracker and Midnight Oil.

One would presume that "Low" would be the go-to Cracker song, and I can't think of any reason they didn't just get that one, unless David Lowery hates Rock Band as much as he hates Spotify.

Midnight Oil have at least three genuine hits - "Beds are Burning", "The Dead Heart", and "Blue Sky Mine". Any of those three would have done. I'm not Australian but I really doubt those three are all less popular than PatP, I really do.

And I still don't know why "Tangled Up in Blue" over literally any other "good Dylan" song but at least it's fun to play... ish.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine

precision posted:

I hate this thread. I legitimately hate that this thread has made me aware of that "Sound of Silence" cover. Oh gently caress you all.

And also any time someone complains about the metal in Rock Band all I can think is "Yeah okay well there are a whole two loving Smiths songs, the arguably worst Joy Division song, and even when they bothered to get Cracker and Midnight Oil in the same week they picked bafflingly boring choices from both, so gently caress you".

Oh, uh, I mean, I guess "at least I can finally play Alex Chilton in RB4".

My livestreams have turned into just hours of us saying things like this and mocking anyone who comes in to request metal.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
In the realm of covers so bad you contemplate suicide:

I was driving to make a delivery for work and the rock station decided to play a SUPERHARDCORE cover of Phil Collins' I Don't Care Anymore.

Arguably worse than Disturbed's Sound of Silence....

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

That would be by Hellyeah, and as awful as it is, I think Disturbed has it covered pretty handily. That thing is a crime against music.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That goddamn Sister Hazel song. Jesus Christ. I don't even know how I've heard it so much, because I don't ever hear lovely current pop music unless I want to. And I had assumed it was a Blues Traveler song because it is literally just a Blues Traveler song. Ffuuuuuucck

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Maybe we should change the thread title to "This week's DLC is the worst since last week"

This week being an exception, unless "Flagpole Sitta" turns out to be another "Last Resort".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think changing the thread title to "It's literally just a Blues Traveler song" would be funnier.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

I got excited for Closing Time since it's the exact same song I used to play in the student-run bar when we were closing, but then realized all the reasons I don't have RB4 and probably never will.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My wife just summed up the worst thing about that Disturbed cover: "The original even rocks harder."

Covering classic-era Simon and Garfunkel, and making it sound even more precious, I'm sure qualifies for some kind of musical Razzie.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

precision posted:

That goddamn Sister Hazel song. Jesus Christ. I don't even know how I've heard it so much, because I don't ever hear lovely current pop music unless I want to. And I had assumed it was a Blues Traveler song because it is literally just a Blues Traveler song. Ffuuuuuucck

Uh, that song came out 19 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Pablo Gigante posted:

Uh, that song came out 19 years ago

Well, that explains why it sounds identical to Blues Traveler, but not why anyone alive gives a poo poo about it, and still doesn't really explain how I've heard it nine billion times since I wasn't listening to that poo poo 19 years ago either.