Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Sockser posted:

How do the GameStop distributions work? Do I gotta like... buy something?

You ask for a card and the cashier gives it to you. It's apparently the greatest injustice and a difficult task for many though so keep that in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I've got real bad anxiety so we'll see if I can muster up four shots of tequila to make this happen.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

you go in and say "are you guys doing the pokemon promotion" and they give you 1-2 cards in my experience

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

You can't trade giveaway pokes, so much for my plan to double up on the downloads to trade for the ones I missed.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

FishBulb posted:

You ask for a card and the cashier gives it to you. It's apparently the greatest injustice and a difficult task for many though so keep that in mind.

I still remember when the New 3DS was coming out and we had that one dude who was freaking out about the SD card being locked in behind screws and decided to 'practice screwing' so he wouldn't damage the 3DS

:allears: goons.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, I wondered what that title was about

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
I was wondering where that "Goons practicing screwing" thread title came from. In Sun and Moon I think what I want most besides the IV training is for mythicals and legendaries to automatically have max IVs. That way I don't end up with stupid stuff like a timid Keldeo with 26/27/31/31/31/2. My game really seems to hate dropping one of those free 31's into speed

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The best part is that there were actually people who somehow screwed that up.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah, there was one who cracked the backplate putting it back on and one who completely stripped the screws and eventually wrenched the backplate off to get to the SD card.

It was a magical time.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

You can't trade giveaway pokes, so much for my plan to double up on the downloads to trade for the ones I missed.

You can trade them, just not on the GTS. There are plenty of people who will exchange friend codes to try and fill out their dex with stuff they've missed.

It just saves you from having to have the dignity to send an event pokemon over the GTS to someone whose message GENENEESECT PLEAAAASE!!11!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dr. Fetus posted:

Practicing screwing doesn't look so stupid now, does it?!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Where as the old-style "Go into the store with your 3ds and download it" distributions had infinite quantity as long as you went there in the usually generous timeframe. The current distributions are both time limited and demand limited, stores only get a certain number of cards and sometimes they run out by the second day, and I'm not going to make a 2 hour round trip on a "maybe".

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Why can't they use Mystery Gift for every event?

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
Just downloaded Hoopa and Darkrai with the codes, are there any others I can still get?

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Practicing screwing doesn't look so stupid now, does it?!

Repeat after me, "Lefty loosy, righty tighty." There, you're golden.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Kurieg posted:

Where as the old-style "Go into the store with your 3ds and download it" distributions had infinite quantity as long as you went there in the usually generous timeframe. The current distributions are both time limited and demand limited, stores only get a certain number of cards and sometimes they run out by the second day, and I'm not going to make a 2 hour round trip on a "maybe".

Actually, some stores can create and print up more codes on receipts if they run out of cards.

Which kind of begs the question of why do the whole card thing to begin with.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

Actually, some stores can create and print up more codes on receipts if they run out of cards.

Which kind of begs the question of why do the whole card thing to begin with.

Its a deal with Gamestop to get people to actually go to Gamestop.

Because then you might buy poo poo there and they can implicitly pressure you to.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Txn posted:

Why can't they use Mystery Gift for every event?

get out of the basement

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

screw tip: put a rubber band between the screw head + driver to provide more grip

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

I walked into a GameStop today and the dude shrugged and gave me 3 Volcanion codes

jarbv
Jul 10, 2004

Kurieg posted:

I once used this super cool thing called a phone

it's kind of like a holocauster

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I've called ahead and had them run out in the hour it took me to get there before. It's easier to just get an extra code off a friendly goon :shrug:.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Zore posted:

I still remember when the New 3DS was coming out and we had that one dude who was freaking out about the SD card being locked in behind screws and decided to 'practice screwing' so he wouldn't damage the 3DS

:allears: goons.

That was me actually thanks.

It was in fact the dumbest thing and I'm simultaneously proud and ashamed of my legacy.

(I had zero trouble once I actually got my n3DS. The practice payed off???? ...nah, not really.)

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

is there anything beyond 50 super singles maison wins or can i stop here

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Aerdan posted:

get out of the basement
rude

there's no gamestop in this country

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

oddium posted:

No, just 7 points per victory. There's the Lansat and Starf berries for the 100/200 consecutive win streaks, but that counts for any format.

I only own Y, is Hoopa-Unbound and the Prison Bottle OR/AS exclusive? Can you change his forme and trade him back to X/Y?

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

oddium posted:

There's 50 in the other types, but nothing past 50 in any of them save for some berries at 100 and 200 wins in any.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

notoriousman posted:

I only own Y, is Hoopa-Unbound and the Prison Bottle OR/AS exclusive? Can you change his forme and trade him back to X/Y?

Yes, it's exclusive, and no, you cannot bring it to X/Y; Unbound Forme doesn't exist in the codes of the old games. It goes back to normal whenever you put it in the box, anyway.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

never mind!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

So I figured I should probably get a Gen V game so I can actually do something with my Emerald and Platinum posse later on. Any reason whatsoever to go with Black/White instead of the sequel?
If I even have a choice, there's so much variance in secondhand prices at this point.

Also, is a 2DS comfortable to use for more than an hour? It reminds me a bit of a tablet, but I wouldn't mind some impressions from people who have used one. I don't think I would use a 3DS for more than just Pokemon so I could do without the 3D aspect.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 3, 2016

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

black/white is very different from its sequel pokemon selection-wise because in 1 you're forced to use gen 5 pokemon exclusively and in 2 you have a huge selection of pokemon from every gen to pick from

they're both very worth playing through but I'd say play 1 before 2 if you do every play 2

I've heard the 2ds is very comfortable and 3d is bad anyway

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

the 3ds library is bonkers so there's probably something else you'll want to play

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

rockinricky posted:

November 18th can't get here soon enough.

It will be awesome because I will be playing one of these

While listening to this

congrats and also condolences

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Zoo06 posted:

That 2016HOOPA code still works even if you got the McDonald's one too. Double the Hoopa, double the fun.

Holy poo poo thank you for mentioning that code! I hadn't heard about it until now and I didn't know how much I would love Hoopa!

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Blhue posted:

congrats and also condolences

Death Magnetic wasn't that bad right? Or St. Anger?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

PSWII60 posted:

St. Anger was hot trash

DM was alright, IIRC

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

PSWII60 posted:

St. Anger was a garbage can which is funny because Lars basically used one as a drum apparently.

Death Magnetic wasn't bad. No Master of Puppets or Kill 'Em All, but not terrible.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I do not recognize any of those Pokemon.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

PSWII60 posted:

:yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Wait, do these event Pokemon work in ORAS as well as X/Y? As in can I download the mystery gifts in X and Y and double up on them?