Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

NancyPants posted:

Apart from that gaudy bathroom complex, 99% of the problems are wallpaper, paint, and carpet. From that angle, the kitchen floor isn't too bad; replacing cabinets or just the doors plus a new countertop would make that a perfectly serviceable kitchen.

I'd buy that thing and spend a few weekends updating the decorating. It's a boring house without the themed rooms and I'm OK with that.

This would probably be simpler than my plan of buy it, hire a cast of drag queens to film a soap opera in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

there wolf posted:

This would probably be simpler than my plan of buy it, hire a cast of drag queens to film a soap opera in it.

Buy it, hire a cast of drag queens to renovate it, Trading Spaces-style.

I love midcentury modern. Houses designed/built right around when my favorite science fiction was being written? Sign me up!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The how pink room, blue room, green room esthetic reminds me of playing The Sims. Those poor Sims.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

therobit posted:

If I bought that house I would only consider changing things in the kitchen. The rest of it was considered opulent when it was put in and has held up amazingly well (probably because they used high quality materials to begin with). If you can handle the intensity of the colors it is actually really nice. Finishing it in up to date styling with materials of similar quality would cost a fortune. It's not crappy construction.

Carpet in the bathroom is just plain unsanitary though. It's mold/mildew paradise.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

NancyPants posted:

Buy it, hire a cast of drag queens to renovate it, Trading Spaces-style.

Let actual professional interior designers renovate it, and while they're occupied the drag queens renovate their houses.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

there wolf posted:

Let actual professional interior designers renovate it, and while they're occupied the drag queens renovate their houses.

So do you want to start the Kickstarter and I'll do the GoFundMe?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Youth Decay posted:

Oh hey speaking of tacky

This house just confuses me. It was built in 1969, yet it's clearly meant to look 50s mid-century modern/Barbie dreamhouse but then you've got a lot of 80s decor so it all kind of clashes into a true masterpiece time capsule unholy mess.

of course there's a carpeted bathroom

]

Linoleum straight outta my high school cafeteria

"lol we're selling this place for $835,000"

Exterior is remarkably "normal" at least

Yeah so if you had a million USD and didn't buy that and just live in it as is I don't know what kind of crazy person are you what the hell?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

"Oh hey this interior looks like I've died and gone to David Lynch hell I don't like it!" - Stupid person.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Looks at beige house. Beige house is bad!
Looks at colorful house. Colorful house is bad!

Goons. Goons never changes.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

As with Nazis and non-nazis, the truth is obviously somewhere in the middle.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The only correct interior decorating styles are:
Modern
Mid-century modern*
*(the modern part is important, filling your house with just random 50's furniture is not "in")

Actually really as long as your house is fairly clean and tidy and maybe has a little effort put into things matching or working together it's fine.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Baronjutter posted:

Actually really as long as your house is fairly clean and tidy and maybe has a little effort put into things matching or working together it's fine.

Luckily all my Ikea furniture is designed to match. :smug:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
http://i.imgur.com/QX6W3Eo.gifv

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

That's just a great practical joke.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

evobatman posted:

<splash> don't really need this image repeated 3 times.

:golfclap: If only the floor drain was lined up a little better. . .

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 2, 2016

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jerry Cotton posted:

That's just a great practical joke.

Even if it lined up, that sink is loving tiny.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s an extending faucet. Pull it out to fill buckets, push it against the wall to wash hands.

Maybe.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

I also have a problem with premature ejaculation

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Platystemon posted:

It’s an extending faucet. Pull it out to fill buckets, push it against the wall to wash hands.

Maybe.

You'd think, but it's not. The QTs around here use the exact same model.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
New Mcmansion Hell is up and it's one of the general critique ones. http://www.mcmansionhell.com/

It's got to be in Dunwoody.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Platystemon posted:

Maybe.

A motion activated sink to fill a bucket sounds awful

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

At least theres a floordrain right there.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Can e make that GIF a thread title? It's due for a change

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Slugworth posted:

For real then, enlighten me as to why it's some grand mockery of all that's good and tasteful that the most recent kitchen posted has dark cabinets and opted for a counter top surface other than granite. I mean, I like granite and all, but it's the only acceptable surface for an expensive home?

It's a person who got some attention because she posted some insightful stuff, and now has to pump out some minimum amount of posts for her book deal.

It doesn't have to be granite: I've had granite worktops but my current ones are walnut. You can make other surfaces look fine too, if you are inclined towards oak, wenge or marble (use with caution) or zebrana if you really know what you are up to and so on. Formica is not on that list.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I thought this thread was supposed to be about crappy construction, not a place to post smugly about interior decorating budget compromises.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I hate the automatic soap dispensers. I some how often get soap all over my arm with those when I'm washing my hands properly. And the automatic sinks seem to be on a timer and cut off of "about how long it takes for someone to quick wave their hands under some water so they look like they're washing their hands". It's like ritualistic cleaning.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

therobit posted:

I thought this thread was supposed to be about crappy construction, not a place to post smugly about interior decorating budget compromises.
My original point was that in my experience we aren't even talking about a budget compromise - Artificial products in my experience, and with some quick googling to confirm, are generally the same price as granite or even more expensive. There are of course different grades of each, so there's overlap, but the initial claim of 'lol, couldn't afford granite!!' was very much potentially incorrect. I make absolutely no claim as to what's more stylish, but neither does the original image which I was originally referring to.

Endie posted:

It doesn't have to be granite: I've had granite worktops but my current ones are walnut. You can make other surfaces look fine too, if you are inclined towards oak, wenge or marble (use with caution) or zebrana if you really know what you are up to and so on. Formica is not on that list.
I'm phone posting, so you may have an edge on me here, but the pictured countertop doesn't in any way look like formica to me.

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 3, 2016

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Baronjutter posted:

I hate the automatic soap dispensers. I some how often get soap all over my arm with those when I'm washing my hands properly.

I can't even with automatic soap dispensers because they're a machine making a satisfied-sounding motor noise while dispensing white goop into my hand.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

therobit posted:

You got some crappy construction to post then go for it. Else well just have to pad the thread out with something else.

So anyone ever seen those tiles that looks like wooden boards in person? Do they look decent?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Slugworth posted:

My original point was that in my experience we aren't even talking about a budget compromise - Artificial products in my experience, and with some quick googling to confirm, are generally the same price as granite or even more expensive. There are of course different grades of each, so there's overlap, but the initial claim of 'lol, couldn't afford granite!!' was very much potentially incorrect. I make absolutely no claim as to what's more stylish, but neither does the original image which I was originally referring to.

I'm phone posting, so you may have an edge on me here, but the pictured countertop doesn't in any way look like formica to me.

I don't know if that kitchen is original or not, but if it is original, then when it was built granite was much more expensive is now. Granite is much cheaper now than it was 20 years ago. http://www.vox.com/2015/9/4/9258233/granite-countertops

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I was working on a luxury condo that had granite (it's the law that all condos need granite or they can not be sold) but it looked thin and a lot of the kitchens had these big overhangs.

Fast forward a few weeks, I go back and see they're having to replace like 5 of the counters because over the course of construction the over-hanging chunks fell off after a worker put a box of tools or leaned on or looked at the counter too hard. They didn't actually fix the underlying problem, they just put in new counters. The next owners can deal with it once their stupid granite cracks.

Apparently the engineered stone stuff is much better for that. I think it looks nicer too, since there's so many choices of colour and patterns. Hell just give me a nice smooth white engineered stone countertop, I don't want dumb swirls and sparkles that hide dirt.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Now I know why Tarek & Christina love it so much. It's McMansion gold since it's more affordable.

I'm happy with my vaguely marble-y looking Formica countertops.

Are the wife and I the only people who hate stainless and concrete countertops? Stainless is so drat septic and business-kitchen-y (even if easily cleaned and sanitized) and concrete is...loving concrete. It's hideous.

But not as bad as tile countertops. Dear Christ.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The concrete with bits of glass looks cool at first, but over a long time the concrete wears at a slightly faster rate than the glass and you end up with a bumpy surface. But a lot of rich people like to totally gut and re-do their kitchen every 5-10 years so they don't really care.

I only noticed because some cafe that was one of the first places I saw those types of countertops like 15ish years ago are now super bumpy and bad.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOPxZuzqxm4

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

D34THROW posted:

Now I know why Tarek & Christina love it so much. It's McMansion gold since it's more affordable.

I'm happy with my vaguely marble-y looking Formica countertops.

Are the wife and I the only people who hate stainless and concrete countertops? Stainless is so drat septic and business-kitchen-y (even if easily cleaned and sanitized) and concrete is...loving concrete. It's hideous.

But not as bad as tile countertops. Dear Christ.
I've never particularly loved stainless, but then I've also never really liked the alternatives either - White or black. We recently got new appliances and went with GE's 'slate' finish, and I really like it.

Concrete is sort of too vague a concept for me to make an all encompassing comment on - You can do quite a lot with it between stains/dyes/acids, and I *do* like some of the integrated sinks I've seen, though most are really shallow and impractical.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Trigger warning, tile countertop

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

I like the girlie drafted in to help carrying a giant, heavy slab of concrete of unknown integrity is wearing tiny ballet pumps while the men get protective boots.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Slugworth posted:

Concrete is sort of too vague a concept for me to make an all encompassing comment on - You can do quite a lot with it between stains/dyes/acids, and I *do* like some of the integrated sinks I've seen, though most are really shallow and impractical.

I want concrete counter tops because i'm desperate for a clever way to display my crappy beloved curio fossil and shell collection that's not a dusty drawer. http://www.concreteexchange.com/how-to-center/form-and-mold-concrete/how-to-cast-an-ammonite-into-conrete/

Then I'd figure out a way for the counters to be used as a burial marker or something because hot drat I love fossils.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Suspect Bucket posted:

I want concrete counter tops because i'm desperate for a clever way to display my crappy beloved curio fossil and shell collection that's not a dusty drawer. http://www.concreteexchange.com/how-to-center/form-and-mold-concrete/how-to-cast-an-ammonite-into-conrete/

Then I'd figure out a way for the counters to be used as a burial marker or something because hot drat I love fossils.

The lobby of an oil and gas related building had these huge polished slabs of stone on the walls that were jam packed full of huge cool fossils. It was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Maybe more of an architectural failure than a construction failure, but that thread got archived so: