Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I think he's saying that if you make a mean joke some retarded anime nazi online will be like "yay one of us" and then you have to tell them to gently caress entirely off because altright faggots are too gay to not be retarded and don't understand irony.

this happened to the rlm forum for a little bit. it's calming down now, though. It was really jarring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

It's cuz The Culture War™ is hosed and the people who have taken sides cannot comprehend that most people don't give a poo poo.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I loved "Cinema Smegma" and "Movie Cum Dumpster".

Also spraying diarrhea at the end was funny, I'm a simple man.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I wish the diarrhea would have been a little more chunky. A little Hershey's and Nutella would have gone a long ways.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
George Lucas trying to stop the flow is like me trying to stop the flow of shitpost from my hands onto this forum.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
So the gist of the TFA complaints seem to be this:

1. A new story would be more interesting than doing the same story over again, which smacks of playing it safe
2. Committee-style movie production degrades film quality
3. Diversity is being commoditized and the kids it's being prioritized for probably don't really care about it
4. Somebody in Star Wars needs to get laid

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I really like RLM stuff but found this review way too long, focusing on the "fandom" for over half the video, but it wasn't that insightful or interesting. His comments on how the plot/backstory should have been were spot on though, the whole setup in the movie was a dumb lazy reset to a new hope and his ideas would have made the movie much better. Maybe the movie had a bit much comedy, and I actually really liked that there was no romance plot. People of various genders can actually accomplish poo poo without inevitably loving. I really liked that it became a sort of buddy thing. The two dudes should gently caress though.

Also I'm glad half his reviews aren't lovely edgy "I murder hookers!" jokes anymore.

The ending redeemed it all though.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

I agree. The comedy felt out of place which is something I hadn't put my finger on before. Levity is fine, but it came off kind of like Avengers banter. Quippy? Is that a word? Anyway I'm glad Abrams stayed away from romance though parts of it felt like they really wanted to go in that direction.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

MrSlam posted:

I agree. The comedy felt out of place which is something I hadn't put my finger on before. Levity is fine, but it came off kind of like Avengers banter. Quippy? Is that a word? Anyway I'm glad Abrams stayed away from romance though parts of it felt like they really wanted to go in that direction.

Poe and Finn are gonna be the next Han and Leia. Like, you can tell that Episode 4 was supposed to have a romance element between Luke and Leia, but Leia and Han's connection was just so awesome they had to end up making Luke and Leia siblings and make it okay to go where the real heat was.

Baronjutter posted:

I really like RLM stuff but found this review way too long, focusing on the "fandom" for over half the video, but it wasn't that insightful or interesting.

Well, the fandom is really the problem now, and probably the only reason to even make this review. Talking about an mid-grade crowd pleasing competent-but-not-really-brilliant blockbuster for nearly two hours would be pointless. Talking about how nerd culture has become an excuse for people to form tribal attachments to brands and how Disney is going to squeeze every single penny they can out of people's high school insecurities for at least a generation or two is much more interesting.

EDIT:

MrSlam posted:

I think the Whedon-esque overly-jokey/super-written dialogue is our generation's equivalent of how people in 40's movies talked with that weird carnival-barker cadence. A particular type of stylization that is really artificial but happens to be in style right now. Eventually naturalism will come back into style, and then there'll be some other type of weird stylization that'll be all the rage after that.

e_angst fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 3, 2016

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Mike has become a senile alcoholic who screams at ring theories and that's ok.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This video made me end up just feeling sorry for lucas.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Mr. Plinkett please do timecube next.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
Star Wars VII is like a pizza.
Before you eat it you know what it's going to taste.
Then you eat it.
Then that's it you've eaten a pizza.
Good for you I guess.

Addendum: Except japanese pizze1 which are disgusting.

1Yeah, that's right.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

e_angst posted:

I think the Whedon-esque overly-jokey/super-written dialogue is our generation's equivalent of how people in 40's movies talked with that weird carnival-barker cadence. A particular type of stylization that is really artificial but happens to be in style right now. Eventually naturalism will come back into style, and then there'll be some other type of weird stylization that'll be all the rage after that.

This is probably just me getting old but in particular I find that the bits with "funny" and/or "exciting" stormtrooper kills and such (Han using Chewie's crossbow, the traitor guy easily being killed by Han, phasma in the garbage and all that) to be kind of off-putting, especially in an adventure movie like this that isn't like gory or shockingly violent. I can't quite put my finger on why that bothers me as opposed to how over the top death and gore scenes can be funny in something like a lovely horror movie. In the original trilogy the stormtroopers were essentially henchmen to be killed, but the movies didn't treat them as essentially a joke (even though their marksmanship became one outside of the movies). Anyway I dunno really, but it feels really off to me, and I think the same thing kind of bothered me in the Hobbit movies as well.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

The Plinkett reviews were good because they nitpicked movies to death. Instead this was like 65 minutes about everything surrounding TFA and very little actually making fun of it. It stinks!!!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Dan Akroyd vodka sighted.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Randarkman posted:

This is probably just me getting old but in particular I find that the bits with "funny" and/or "exciting" stormtrooper kills and such (Han using Chewie's crossbow, the traitor guy easily being killed by Han, phasma in the garbage and all that) to be kind of off-putting, especially in an adventure movie like this that isn't like gory or shockingly violent. I can't quite put my finger on why that bothers me as opposed to how over the top death and gore scenes can be funny in something like a lovely horror movie. In the original trilogy the stormtroopers were essentially henchmen to be killed, but the movies didn't treat them as essentially a joke (even though their marksmanship became one outside of the movies). Anyway I dunno really, but it feels really off to me, and I think the same thing kind of bothered me in the Hobbit movies as well.

Because they humanized the Storm Troopers. One took his helmet off and became a character. One died smearing blood on his friend's face. Even the way that one Storm Trooper said "traitor" had more emotion than you saw from any Storm Trooper in the first trilogy.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Randarkman posted:

This is probably just me getting old but in particular I find that the bits with "funny" and/or "exciting" stormtrooper kills and such (Han using Chewie's crossbow, the traitor guy easily being killed by Han, phasma in the garbage and all that) to be kind of off-putting, especially in an adventure movie like this that isn't like gory or shockingly violent. I can't quite put my finger on why that bothers me as opposed to how over the top death and gore scenes can be funny in something like a lovely horror movie.

It'd be so jarring to see a fast-paced sci-fi adventure flick that emphasized the violence. Like Starship Troopers but market it as a Star Wars kind of movie. There's a joke about the trash compactor in TFA, but in my hypothetical movie Han Solo would watch her being crushed by tons of metal and blood and gore start spraying out of the armor, and he'd start cheering it on and really getting into it. KILL HER! YEAH!

Maybe we've all gotten so desensitized to violence that run-of-the-mill murder activates the same part of our brain as physical comedy does. A long time ago I went to a Jurassic Park sequel in the theater and there was a scene were a T-Rex pops out of nowhere and chomps and eats a smaller dinosaur that was put the background for whimsy. A little girl in the audience thought it was the most hilarious thing she ever saw and the rest of the audience started chuckling at this psychopathic little kid.

But these days, I think we're all that little girl.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
If those two dudes end up being gay it's going to be the most insufferable goddamn thing ever as every poo poo person out there inevitably chains their sense of self-worth to it.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

MrSlam posted:

It'd be so jarring to see a fast-paced sci-fi adventure flick that emphasized the violence. Like Starship Troopers but market it as a Star Wars kind of movie. There's a joke about the trash compactor in TFA, but in my hypothetical movie Han Solo would watch her being crushed by tons of metal and blood and gore start spraying out of the armor, and he'd start cheering it on and really getting into it. KILL HER! YEAH!

Maybe we've all gotten so desensitized to violence that run-of-the-mill murder activates the same part of our brain as physical comedy does. A long time ago I went to a Jurassic Park sequel in the theater and there was a scene were a T-Rex pops out of nowhere and chomps and eats a smaller dinosaur that was put the background for whimsy. A little girl in the audience thought it was the most hilarious thing she ever saw and the rest of the audience started chuckling at this psychopathic little kid.

But these days, I think we're all that little girl.

that little girl's name? adolf "josh" hitler

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Politics are dumb and make you dumb.

At least on the bright side, all the insane PC poo poo of the 90s blew over so maybe by 2020 people will be allowed to make jokes and have a sense of humor again. It seems like more and more people are getting tired of self-righteous indignation.

Probaly. it will hit a point where it bothers normal people(not just sad weird liberals like me and weird alt right dickheads and it will slowly be pushed back into the shadows.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Because they humanized the Storm Troopers. One took his helmet off and became a character. One died smearing blood on his friend's face. Even the way that one Storm Trooper said "traitor" had more emotion than you saw from any Storm Trooper in the first trilogy.

pretty much. Stormtroopers were seen as basically disposable but elite cannon fodder for the empire. whats even more hosed up if you think about (with at least the original trilogy) is they are just regular people(maybe some clones from various donors), they were regular people, probably all about luke's age. they were some dumbshit kids who actually did go to the academy(the stormtrooper one not the flying one) and passed and became proud soldiers of the Empire.

Randarkman posted:

yeah and no for me. yeah it was weird. but i can see han being that kinda guy, he is old, he failed as dad and is now smuggling death monsters for petty dickhead rulers. he thought the empire was finaly put in the ground, but now some dickhead made Imperial Reborn facist wannabe army with his failure of son at its head with a bunch of dickhead sons and daughters of the old imperial elite playing soldier. i doubt he cares if he splaters some dickhead officer to death in a garbage compactor. that being said. the snippy constant "jokey lines' in general got annoying. it never went to whedon levels thankfully.

the loving best part of the review to me was the Oompa lumppa kylo ren bit.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

new phone who dis posted:

If those two dudes end up being gay it's going to be the most insufferable goddamn thing ever as every poo poo person out there inevitably chains their sense of self-worth to it.

If Finn and Poe kiss I'm going to run for senate and spend every waking moment fighting to ban the internet, but secretly I'll find it adorable.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

If Finn and Poe kiss I'm going to run for senate and spend every waking moment fighting to ban the internet, but secretly I'll find it adorable.

Will you squee?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

This should've just been an appendix to the prequel reviews, cut the coverage of the fan theory nobody gives a poo poo about down by 5x, and then called it a day with the Star Wars stuff and moved on. Disguising all this stuff as a review about a movie that doesn't need dissecting, made by completely different people to the prequels just seems pointless.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I like that they repeatedly used the Johnny Vaughn interview that was on the big breakfast in the shed. Saw that live first time around

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
I didn't even notice that Finn asked Rey if her boyfriend was cute.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Wait.... Finn is BLACK????

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

EL BROMANCE posted:

This should've just been an appendix to the prequel reviews, cut the coverage of the fan theory nobody gives a poo poo about down by 5x, and then called it a day with the Star Wars stuff and moved on. Disguising all this stuff as a review about a movie that doesn't need dissecting, made by completely different people to the prequels just seems pointless.

notice there is no "force" in the video title "mr plinkett's the star wars awakens review" just like no one forced you to watch it.

though tbh when I was rewatching it again today the 20 minutes spent on explaining the ring theory without solidly rebutting it did feel a bit forced. but it was redeemed by the pizza phone sex.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Now that they've gone over all this extraneous poo poo they're probably not gonna have any material for episode 8 (unless it's a steaming turd)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

dreezy posted:

notice there is no "force" in the video title "mr plinkett's the star wars awakens review" just like no one forced you to watch it.

Yeah I was wondering about the title before I clicked it. I don't dislike it, it just takes a bit to realize it's not what you're expecting. And it's more fun when they offer their own insights rather than just reading poo poo from a dumb theory for so long. It just kills any enjoyment you're having dead.

E: writing as I'm watching. Now I feel it should've just been cut into two halves and released a good chunk of time apart. Either way I'm being a bit judgmental over something I'm enjoying.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 4, 2016

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Plinkett bitching about idiots defending a bunch of bad movies > Plinkett ripping a watchable, but most forgettable, Star Wars movie with its fair share of problems

First half ruled :colbert:

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

in the first movie there were a couple storm troopers on the death star just standing around and having idle chat. that seemed more human than the vengeful kung fu expert storm trooper who was there just for a fight.

that's the only example i got though.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

I gave a poo poo because some ring theorists were mean to me and burned down my house one time.

Maybe that was a Harry Potter film idk.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The two stormtroopers who peace out when Rylo Ken is throwing a huge diaper hissy is legit good as hell and the good kind of levity necessary in silly space operas.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
the bttf clickbait video could probably be its own video and get some viral views.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

CharlestonJew posted:

Now that they've gone over all this extraneous poo poo they're probably not gonna have any material for episode 8 (unless it's a steaming turd)

Episode 9 is probably the one most likely to be a turdbomb so there's that.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Prequel apologists and Ring Theory proponents are such an alien concept to me that for awhile I was wondering if it was just a straw man Plinkett was using. So I looked in the CinD thread. Nope, it's all real. They were dismissing the idea of that the prequels might have problems like it was some absurd notion that had been so clearly decided long ago, what a silly thing to even bring up again.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

dreezy posted:

the bttf clickbait video could probably be its own video and get some viral views.

The problem with it is that Back to the Future actually is better than the Star Wars trilogy, because BTTF is the best trilogy period

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Gammatron 64 posted:

The problem with it is that Back to the Future actually is better than the Star Wars trilogy, because BTTF is the best trilogy period

BttF isn't even good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

now if you want to see something really embarrassing, check out the last few pages of CD.

• Locked thread