Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Apparently I'm getting a Samsung fit 2 for free alongside my note 7 thanks to a promotion. Anyone familiar with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Someone recommend me a smart watch that I can use to track my running and such. One with a decent battery life. Price range under $250

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
The new pebble that comes out in sept. Pebble 2.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

RC Cola posted:

Someone recommend me a smart watch that I can use to track my running and such. One with a decent battery life. Price range under $250
I bought a Band 2 for running and I like it a lot. It has GPS (no phone required), music controls, guided workouts, heart rate with VO2 estimation, sleep analysis, other good stuff. Some people find it to not be durable enough although I've had no problems there. The battery life is 2-3 days depending on your usage but the magnetic charger is fast and easy to use.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Syrinxx posted:

I bought a Band 2 for running and I like it a lot. It has GPS (no phone required), music controls, guided workouts, heart rate with VO2 estimation, sleep analysis, other good stuff. Some people find it to not be durable enough although I've had no problems there. The battery life is 2-3 days depending on your usage but the magnetic charger is fast and easy to use.

What can you tell me about the gear line

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

RC Cola posted:

What can you tell me about the gear line
I can tell you you're much better off with a Band 2 or a Forerunner 230 for running

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

PerrineClostermann posted:

Apparently I'm getting a Samsung fit 2 for free alongside my note 7 thanks to a promotion. Anyone familiar with it?

I put a crack in my fit 2 screen the second day after I got it for free with my Note 7. I guess they weren't designed to take a hit from a 44lb kettlebell during a round of cleans.

Other than that, I like it. Battery life has been good, aboit 2 to 2.5 days. It is attractive. Notifications are easy to read.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Samsung S3 impressions are rolling out. Looks great IMO. Too big for nerd wrists though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1rb8rhwpVM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP8Vsjb6ADo

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

PerrineClostermann posted:

I had the original Gear Fit. Didn't like it much. The new one sounds better but the "S" line is Samsung's good watch line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xfmNc8WiXM

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Samsung S3 impressions are rolling out. Looks great IMO. Too big for nerd wrists though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1rb8rhwpVM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP8Vsjb6ADo

It was pretty good when I had it four years ago :smuggo:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I had a Galaxy S3 too and would never call it good. :P

Not my fault Samsung is re-using the name.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I had a Galaxy S3 too and would never call it good. :P

Not my fault Samsung is re-using the name.

You take that back, I loved my S3. Even ran it naked and it held up!

Got the fit2 today. Seems pretty neat. Immediately told me my resting heart rate is too goony so I guess I better get my rear end into shape.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

That is a pretty nice watch. The OS even looks really good. I'm just not sure if I could get myself to give up the larger app selection of Android Wear.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I bought a Fitbit Surge back in April of 2015 and had it replaced through the warranty this year. The replacement Surge now has a peeling band, so I want to replace it with something comparable and in the same price range. I've been looking at the Garmin Vivoactive HR and was wondering if anyone has any experience with that or if there are any other recommendations in the same price/feature range.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Alternative pants posted:

I bought a Fitbit Surge back in April of 2015 and had it replaced through the warranty this year. The replacement Surge now has a peeling band, so I want to replace it with something comparable and in the same price range. I've been looking at the Garmin Vivoactive HR and was wondering if anyone has any experience with that or if there are any other recommendations in the same price/feature range.

Wait around 3 weeks for the Surge 2? That has changeable bands, too.

e: sorry, it's the Charge 2. Has everything but the GPS, but will connect to your phone's, which honestly seems to make more sense.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

I'd really like to replace my Flex. I'm thinking about the Band 2...how does its pedometer/movement-tracking accuracy compare to the Flex or other Fitbit products?

Most smartwatches have poo poo accuracy for their pedometer, so I'm just wonderin...

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Band 2 is nifty, but they have serious quality control issues. I gave up after the second swap would've taken two weeks by mail. Everything I've read says that while MS is more than happy to replace while under warranty (1 year), it's a hassle and you're without the device for a week or two. I'd consider a Fitbit product before a Band 2, honestly. They just announced the Charge 2 - I fuckin' bought a Charge HR one and a half months ago, :rip: - and it looks pretty nifty.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Thermopyle posted:

I'd really like to replace my Flex. I'm thinking about the Band 2...how does its pedometer/movement-tracking accuracy compare to the Flex or other Fitbit products?

Most smartwatches have poo poo accuracy for their pedometer, so I'm just wonderin...

My average fitbit step count was about 10k-12k but with the band 2 it's about half that. At first it irritated me but I'm sure now that the fitbit was inflating the count pretty badly. Like it or not though, fitbit is the baseline that people use, including insurance companies or whatever.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

gschmidl posted:

Wait around 3 weeks for the Surge 2? That has changeable bands, too.

e: sorry, it's the Charge 2. Has everything but the GPS, but will connect to your phone's, which honestly seems to make more sense.

The problem I have is that FitBit is being really lovely about the fact that the replacement tracker is more defective than the original and is basically unusable after two months. I'd rather shop with another company.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Syrinxx posted:

My average fitbit step count was about 10k-12k but with the band 2 it's about half that. At first it irritated me but I'm sure now that the fitbit was inflating the count pretty badly. Like it or not though, fitbit is the baseline that people use, including insurance companies or whatever.

I've noticed that my Charge HR is really bad at ignoring wrist motions like, say, brushing my teeth. I just set my target super high and figure it'll be good enough.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Just piping up that pebble is a great company and I love all of mine and the new one has hr monitors

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Syrinxx posted:

I spent a lot of time with a real actual pedometer and my Flex back when I first got it a long time ago. The Flex was never more than about 8% off (high).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My flex and my 2nd gen Moto 360 are usually within 10% of each other.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Chasiubao posted:

I've noticed that my Charge HR is really bad at ignoring wrist motions like, say, brushing my teeth. I just set my target super high and figure it'll be good enough.

Are you sure you have the wrist set up correctly? That influences how sensitive it is to that kind of motion.

e: I'm going to let that stand as it is for unintentional comedy value, but I mean Fitbit's settings let you say whether you have it on your dominant hand or not.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
How much the Fitbit's off is per your usage, at least it was in my experience. My Flex would record way too many steps during driving whereas my Band 2 didn't so if I had a heavy driving day, they would be very disparate. Otherwise their step counts were very close together.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
What's the best wearable for guided workouts apart from Microsoft Band 2? MS is not exactly instilling me with confidence in the Band right now but it's absolutely excellent at letting me input my own workout into Health with weights, rest periods, etc. Ideally whatever I pick as a backup option would be Fitbit as it works with Windows mobile but I'm on the fence about that too for the same reasons.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Can we talk about cheap as dirt chinese wearables in here?

I got this one: http://www.gearbest.com/smart-wristband/pp_180798.html?wid=21

and it's surprisingly nifty for its price. It looks decent, is water proof, has no buttons and the entire capacitive screen is the "button". It does all the step/sleep tracking of a simple fitness tracker, but it really shines on the notifications front: It will display entire IM conversations and you can advance the "pages" by touching the screen. Unlike other cheap chinese bands, the software on this one allows notifications from any app on IOS or Android to be pushed to the smartband. I coded a simple android running app that will send me the current running distance, time and pace as notifications every few minutes. For the price, having all the information from your phone being sent to your wrist feels very nice. Things are really moving on the cheap chinese front, we might start seeing bona fide android wear phones for pennies soon.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

drat that's a insanely good price. I'm tempted! Especially after your review. China is definitely a market to watch. I'm still waiting on my Rufus Cuff (any day now! You'll see!) and I'm sure within days there'll be cheaper, better knock offs on the Chinese market. It's exciting times.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
And have them bug it full of Trojans? gently caress that

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The only I've heard of who might be doing that is Xioami (?). A lot of them you can root and flash your own trojan free ROM on anyway.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah you should definitely give money to companies that don't care about your security to save a couple bucks

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Because huge companies such as Sony and Yahoo definitely have your back when it comes to security

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Yeah, that Yahoo(!!!) wearable is awful.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Been thinking about getting a smart watch just because they look kinda fun to gently caress around with. I like the look of the Moto 360 and would definitely want something running Android wear, as they seem the most versatile. Do they do yearly updates on these things or is a new one coming out soon? What are some of the really cool or goofy/neat things you can do with these things?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Stan Taylor posted:

Been thinking about getting a smart watch just because they look kinda fun to gently caress around with. I like the look of the Moto 360 and would definitely want something running Android wear, as they seem the most versatile. Do they do yearly updates on these things or is a new one coming out soon? What are some of the really cool or goofy/neat things you can do with these things?

Rumor is that Google will be releasing their own smartwatch in a week.

Tesla Was Robbed
Oct 4, 2002
I AM A LIAR

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah you should definitely give money to companies that don't care about your security to save a couple bucks

But my ThinkPad/Verizon/Google/everyone.

Your data is a commodity, bought and sold on legit and illegitimate markets. No one cares because there are few penalties for not caring and lots of money needed for caring. The equation tells you what you need to know.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Thermopyle posted:

Rumor is that Google will be releasing their own smartwatch in a week.

That was when Wear 2.0 was scheduled for fall, seems reasonable if it is going to happen the release would be pushed back to Spring with Wear 2.0.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Microsoft has discontinued the Band line.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I'm glad of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

RIP Band 2, you were too good for this world. Except when the BAND of the Band broke and you couldn't replace it :suicide: