Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Einbauschrank posted:

All in all 40min of boring SRV driving.

You guys are doing it wrong. The SRV is not a car, it's a helicopter with wheels! Find a nice low-G world and just go full speed and feather your boost to glide from one target to another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I've said it before..

I think I'm just going to get DD5 and FSD5 on my Python and then run it out into the galaxy somewhere so that I'm safe and free when the inevitable overpowered AI shows up as aliens and demolishes the bubble. Wherever I am when they appear, FDev should have just succumbed to the demands of the forum sperglings to dumb down the AI by the time I make it back to the bubble.

e: Dirty/Clean drive mods need to have visual effects. I want to see sparks and flames and poo poo coming out of a ship with DD5 upgrades and a brighter, cleaner glow coming from ships with CD5.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

By far the biggest star I've discovered :gonk:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Played ED for the first time in a long while, and Dirt Rally has spoiled me for SRVs. The SRV feels way too floaty and I have a hard time feeling like I'm driving a buggy; it feels more like a hovercraft, regardless of the planet's gravity. I don't feel any real satisfaction going over the various bumps and jumps :(. Someone please mod the Lancia Stratos into ED, thanks.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Giovanni0109 posted:

I've had better luck finding Arsenic in Metallic Meteorites. Lots of close listening to the wave scanner though.

I think I have less trouble finding arsenic than finding metallic meteorites ...

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Shine posted:

Played ED for the first time in a long while, and Dirt Rally has spoiled me for SRVs. The SRV feels way too floaty and I have a hard time feeling like I'm driving a buggy; it feels more like a hovercraft, regardless of the planet's gravity. I don't feel any real satisfaction going over the various bumps and jumps :(. Someone please mod the Lancia Stratos into ED, thanks.

Funny you mention that because I feel the SRV is just like the stratos: constant unavoidable spinouts that eventually lead you to tumble down a cliff and die

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

SRV at full throttle is nigh uncontrollable if there are any bumps at all. At slower speeds it's not nearly as bad.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

TorakFade posted:

Funny you mention that because I feel the SRV is just like the stratos: constant unavoidable spinouts that eventually lead you to tumble down a cliff and die

This frustrated the ever living poo poo out of me when it came to SRV driving until I just threw all fucks out the window and set the cruise control between 10-12 and started slowboating it.

I've found a poo poo ton of arsenic since then and very rarely take any damage.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

TorakFade posted:

I think that frustrates me more than with the Stratos, because the SRV will drive along feeling like it's basically on cushy rails until those wild spinouts happen (and even those spinouts don't have much "weight" to them). At least the Dirt Rally cars feel the whole time like you're fighting to keep them in control (especially the Stratos :allears: ), so when you do wipe you can almost always always trace it back to a sign the car gave you that you didn't properly react to, and even the easy-to-control cars (like the 60s Mini, or driving a modern 4WD car in low gears) still lets you "feel" lots of feedback from the car as it's scooting along. I wish the SRV had, I dunno, much stiffer suspension or something. I feel like I'm driving a pillow across a giant mattress.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

LCL-Dead posted:

This frustrated the ever living poo poo out of me when it came to SRV driving until I just threw all fucks out the window and set the cruise control between 10-12 and started slowboating it.

So you just have to... go slower? I think the SRV is slow enough already at full speed... :(

Shine posted:

I think that frustrates me more than with the Stratos, because the SRV will drive along feeling like it's basically on cushy rails until those wild spinouts happen (and even those spinouts don't have much "weight" to them). At least the Dirt Rally cars feel the whole time like you're fighting to keep them in control (especially the Stratos :allears: ), so when you do wipe you can almost always always trace it back to a sign the car gave you that you didn't properly react to, and even the easy-to-control cars (like the 60s Mini, or driving a modern 4WD car in low gears) still lets you "feel" lots of feedback from the car as it's scooting along. I wish the SRV had, I dunno, much stiffer suspension or something. I feel like I'm driving a pillow across a giant mattress.

Yes of course I was just joking, spinning out in Dirt Rally can be fun and you can actually avoid it by getting gud. In Elite, not so much. The "hovercraft" feeling is a perfect description of the disconnect you feel from your damned space go kart. Maybe someday we'll have more kinds of SRVs with different handling and properties and this will get fixed somehow

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Shine posted:

It's the gravity I reckon. Most atmosphere free planets we get right now are moons and semi-earths after all.

E: Semi-related - I would totally buy a heavier, less bouncy cargo/exploration crawler with big ol' tank tracks :allears:

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 3, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Strategic Tea posted:

It's the gravity I reckon. Most atmosphere free planets we get right now are moons and semi-earths after all.

E: Semi-related - I would totally buy a heavier, less bouncy cargo/exploration crawler with big ol' tank tracks :allears:

Driving your SRV on a high-gravity world feels like a giant invisible hand is trying to crush you into the ground. Every little rock in your way can end up with you rolling down a harmless looking slope at disturbing speeds while a rain of SRV-parts showers down on your trail.

Giovanni0109
Apr 28, 2013

Grimey Drawer

INTJ Mastermind posted:

You guys are doing it wrong. The SRV is not a car, it's a helicopter with wheels! Find a nice low-G world and just go full speed and feather your boost to glide from one target to another.

This. Make sure you do flips and stuff too. It's not like it's a big deal when you damage it as long as you avoid blowing up. You can either just put it back in your ship to get it repaired or use one nickel + one iron to repair it. Why would you be on a low gravity world and not take advantage of flying? Make sure you have FA off too. :getin:

Einbauschrank posted:

I think I have less trouble finding arsenic than finding metallic meteorites ...

Once you find one, I've noticed that there tends to be another one or two nearby. I go for whatever I can find, but those metallic meteorites tend to dump out the rarer stuff it seems.

On another note, why do I keep finding crashed nav beacons on previously undiscovered rocky planets >4 klys from Sol? That seems odd.

Giovanni0109 fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 3, 2016

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Giovanni0109 posted:

This. Make sure you do flips and stuff too. It's not like it's a big deal when you damage it as long as you avoid blowing up. You can either just put it back in your ship to get it repaired or use one nickel + one iron to repair it. Why would you be on a low gravity world and not take advantage of flying? Make sure you have FA off too. :getin:

What does exactly FA-off do in the SRV? I mostly run full tilt down rocky slopes and flip/spinout/jump over poo poo, I have noticed zero difference between assist on and off in this use case.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

And now for some :siren:good news:siren:

The bad news is that it will cost between 5 and 10 mil per module just kidding

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Are HiRes bounties still a good way to rank up Federal?

Also I can't remember the planet that used to work well for that.

E: Xihe or something else

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 3, 2016

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Strategic Tea posted:

lol like you think the brown sea isn't going to agitate for storage fees

Giovanni0109
Apr 28, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TorakFade posted:

What does exactly FA-off do in the SRV? I mostly run full tilt down rocky slopes and flip/spinout/jump over poo poo, I have noticed zero difference between assist on and off in this use case.

I called it Flight assist, but it's actually Drive assist. so correction on that. With it on, you tend to accelerate in a more smooth, cruise-control like manner and it also seems to try and keep you at a constant speed (not always so great on bumpy rides). Whereas DA off feels to me like you have more direct control over the SRV's velocity so you can both floor it or have more fine-tuned control.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I just wish the SRV had airborne yaw control.

8 loving jets on that thing but it can't turn in the air.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Strategic Tea posted:

So I assume it will be storage in a single home base station so you'll have to trip back to exchange modules, right? And no transfering of modules or, God forbid, shared, stash-like inventory so you can access your poo poo wherever?

Also of course we shall need to pay a daily fee for storage, even when we don't play and if you come back after a month and can't pay your bills you're going to be locked out of your stuff until you pony up the cash

immersion

Edit: I am joking but I am afraid there might be some truth here

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Drive assist on: Cruise control.

Drive assist off: we quad bikes now

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

LCL-Dead posted:

I just wish the SRV had airborne yaw control.

8 loving jets on that thing but it can't turn in the air.
The weirdest thing about it to me is it can't do stationary rotation. That's the point of having wheels out on those arms like the Mars rovers right?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It gives the SRV throttle control rather than a car style accelerator. So cruise control?

Not sure if there's anything else?

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Strategic Tea posted:

This is fantastic news and I fully expect the joke spoiler to become true. Would still swap.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
On an entirely unrelated note, The Taipan looks pretty fun. Apparently they buffed fighters across the board so even the big fat Tankpan can reach pretty impressive speeds, and dual plasma repeaters Really loving Hurt (TM).

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Anyone have any tips for FAS versus NPC FDL? They can gently caress me up pretty good it seems. Should I be using Assist Off to keep sliding around onto their rear end in little boosts?

Using full Multicannon loadout, both large with Incendary ammo.

EDIT: Actually gently caress it, they cost 30 million credits more per unit for a reason I suppose. Will stick with small poo poo. And man, the FAS stinks now it feels like. I'm thinking of downgrading to Vulture :\

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 4, 2016

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
I just got back from a 5000 LY journey for Professor Pain and right as I was about to dock with his base, I get jumped by a Federation Farragut battlecruiser and 20 other combat ships. My unarmed ASP lasted about 5 seconds and that was that. What the hell just happened? I didn't get scanned, I was Allied with the Feds (green dots on Radar), no illicit cargo, and my ship was unarmed.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
You didn't have an appointment.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

TorakFade posted:

This right here is what's wrong with this game (besides not allowing single-player/private server and thus mods).

There is a giant disparity between poopsockers and everyone else, because getting money is a -very- slow process outside of exploits, so those who can play like 5 hours a day have enormously inflated bank accounts, while the average guy that plays say a couple hours a week is a space poor that can barely afford to rebuy his ship if he blows it up unless he stays locked to low-cost, low-level game content - which is admittedly cheap and fun enough, but come on.

Guess what kind of player inhabits the brown sea, which is where :frontear: goes to look at the playerbase and take decisions? I read stuff like "by now we all have multiple billions in our accounts so transferring a ship should cost 30 millions because we need a money sink", and as far as I understand this is also the reason we have to hunt for extremely rare and hard to find stuff that also take up cargo space for engineer upgrades, and also why they're the worst RNG poo poo ever: if they gated it by money, had fixed stats or allowed people to just use materials/data instead of cargo-space-hogging commodities, according to the brown sea everybody would have maxed rank 5 on all modules within a day (which admittedly is probably true, but as is, it is a little too much gating for the casual player who can't spend 7 hours straight hunting for modular terminals, and still too little gating for the poopsocker who will have the maxxed rank 5 poo poo anyways within a week of awful, non-stop grinding)

to me this looks like if WoW or other similar MMO catered only to the max-level players, so made every mob in the world and every item for sale have max-level and max-price, besides a restricted few select low-level ones just to avoid scaring off new players (which will suddenly realize that once they're out of the newbie phase they literally can't do anything and will have to keep killing goblins with their wooden stick forever)

The problem is that everything pays about the same amount, except for one or two things that pay overwhelmingly more than everything else, so the people who just grind that one thing constantly end up incredibly rich, while everyone else takes a whole day of dedicated grinding just to save up a rebuy's worth of credits.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I made by 1.5 billion credits by playing the game and doing Community Goals every week :shrug:

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Well, there's no accounting for the space-mad.

On SRV-chat, I remember hating the controls a bit until I went looking for other people's control methods. I don't remember what I had to change, but turning off the drive assist and making it so I have to hold a button down to maintain speed really helped, along with remapping some of the thruster controls so I can use them more easily. Now I can jump over gaps and soften landings, as well as correct my facing in "flight". Driving became a real treat.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

2spooky4me posted:

I made by 1.5 billion credits by playing the game and doing Community Goals every week :shrug:

Most of my space riches came from barely participating in community goals.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Main Paineframe posted:

The problem is that everything pays about the same amount, except for one or two things that pay overwhelmingly more than everything else, so the people who just grind that one thing constantly end up incredibly rich, while everyone else takes a whole day of dedicated grinding just to save up a rebuy's worth of credits.

The real problem is that they'll solve that problem by ensuring it takes everyone a day of dedicated grinding just to save up a rebuy's worth of credits. Balance will be achieved by ensuring everyone is 100% dissatisfied.

All we need are daily quests and we can complete the transformation to MMO.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mailer posted:

All we need are daily quests RNG gamble boxes and we can complete the transformation to MMO.

FTFY.

Oh and cash shop "rep boost consumables" because all future ships will only be accessible to admirals & dukes.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
so is powerplay pretty much entirely shat upon now? i know it was always a bit of a half-baked joke system but from what i'm reading people have pretty much given up on it other than for like maybe prismatic shields?

Shadow_333
May 2, 2016

Sundowner posted:

so is powerplay pretty much entirely shat upon now? i know it was always a bit of a half-baked joke system but from what i'm reading people have pretty much given up on it other than for like maybe prismatic shields?

Powerplay is an unnecessary evil that should be avoided whenever possible.
Get what PP modules you want, and GTFO.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
How to drive an SRV - a short primer:
Step 0: This is probably the most important step - Put your VR on.
Step 1: Find a low gravity world, preferably around or even under 0.1G. Ideally with something you'll need in the future. I found loads of arsenic on Europa, of all places.
Step 2: 4 pips in engines, this makes a big difference, even if it's not immediately noticeable.
Step 3: put the throttle to 100% and enjoy the ride. Sometimes, lower it to about 80, if the ride is *really* bumpy and you can't build up enough speed to really just fly over the bumps. If you have trouble staying on course, the fix isn't to go real slow, the fix is to keep at it until you get good.

How to :gitgud: you ask?
Since you're likely just racing in a cardinal direction, rather than following some dumb road, your only reasons for spinning out will generally be hitting rocks or not landing roughly flat to the surface. Rocks can be avoided with practice (use only very gentle steering inputs at high speeds), or simply boosted over.

Landings at high speed, I found out, are much, much easier when you have axes dedicated to only flying the thing, and you have steering on another axis. I currently use the top rotating slider on the throttle for steering. It has a center notch that works great for driving straight, so I don't have any issues driving with that. On a gamepad, set one joy for flying only, use the 2nd one for steering, or something along those lines. Then, when you land, you always want to land as flat as possible. It's not too hard, you don't need to pay attention and have all the wheels land at exactly the same time, but anything more than single digit degrees can end up being spinout, so plan accordingly. On a super bumpy surface, this means you need speed, because you'll be basically skipping along the tops of bumps, only really landing when you see a good big bump that can safely give you some more free air time boost.

Once you know how to land okay consistently even on bumpy places, or find a nice flat region, it's time to take this poo poo to next level. SRVs normally top out at around 30-35m/s when you're driving around. This isn't exactly slow by even modern road standards, but you can take it much further. When you're in the air, if you tilt forward and boost, you'll gain even more speed, like a helicopter. It's not much, you'll often only gain 1m/s if that, but with enough time, it adds up. As long as you have 4 pips in engine and 100% throttle, this speed won't bleed off when you land, except when going into pretty hefty slopes. Speeding at over 200km/h over a roadless snow landscape, boosting over any bumps or rocks just feels so good. I topped out at about 62m/s once, it was glorious. Just beware of rocks at these speeds, crashing hurts a lot.

Also, don't even bother with high gravity places, they're unfun. You can more easily get extra speed on down slopes, but boosting is too limited to really gain any speed on flat surfaces, and any up slope will start killing your overspeed pretty quickly.

Truga fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Oct 4, 2016

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Dandywalken posted:

Anyone have any tips for FAS versus NPC FDL? They can gently caress me up pretty good it seems. Should I be using Assist Off to keep sliding around onto their rear end in little boosts?

Using full Multicannon loadout, both large with Incendary ammo.

EDIT: Actually gently caress it, they cost 30 million credits more per unit for a reason I suppose. Will stick with small poo poo. And man, the FAS stinks now it feels like. I'm thinking of downgrading to Vulture :\

At Deadly or Elite, NPCs get access to engineer upgrades. This means that FDLs can have resist/boosted shields plus cells out the yinyang, making them annoying to take down unless you have relatively high DPS. Do you have Overcharge on your MCs as well as Incendiary?

Also, yes, use FA/OFF. Assuming you have modified boosters you should still be turning faster than the FDL, although you'll never stay on its rear end for long.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

This is pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAYIK-2gfno

https://imgur.com/a/rTVLA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Anyone ever play Battlezone 2? Think about what this game could have been if they implemented just some of the basic functionalities of that with SRVs. I'm reminded of the beginning of the campaign as well, how amazing that would be to play out in a more empty universe with aliens hidden behind every abandoned building.

• Locked thread