Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

mike12345 posted:

Just saw someone link this on Twitter

http://www.historyofthecoldwarpodcast.com/

Anyone give it a listen yet?

In the intro ep he goes on a rant about how STEM is a big bully to the liberal arts and doesn't teach you anything about the world and also promises to show the link between the Cold War and bronies so it's off to a good start imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazborgufen
Apr 11, 2005
I'm partway through the first episode, but the guy's speaking ability is so terrible that I'm not sure I can go on. He can't go a sentence without mispronouncing a word or re-reading sections. And the tone is obvious that he's just reading rather than speaking naturally. All of which I just don't get. I mean, you are recording a show and editing it. It's not live. Why not do a section at a time without fumbling a sentence and then piece it together? It's very amateur sounding.

On the plus side, searching for that show led me to a few others about the Soviet Union, so hopefully one of those pans out better. I'll give it a couple episodes to see if his style clears up, but it is really grating right now.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

I'm a few eps in now and while it's exceedingly clear that he does the show in one take, lots of us endured the horrible production issues the history of Rome muddled through so I'm gonna stick it out a bit

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
Has anyone listened to the History of the Crusades podcast? Its up to like 170 episodes so the maker at least is dedicated.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Carlin is going to be on Rogan's podcast tomorrow. Hopefully it's a good one.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Digital Jedi posted:

Carlin is going to be on Rogan's podcast tomorrow. Hopefully it's a good one.

I imagine it will go well until Carlin throws out the first boxing metaphor, then Rogan will call him a pussy for liking boxing over MMA.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

New podcast on african history

https://www.acast.com/africaahistory

haven't listened to it yet, but episodes seem pretty short, around the 10 min mark.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

Vakal posted:

I imagine it will go well until Carlin throws out the first boxing metaphor, then Rogan will call him a pussy for liking boxing over MMA.

he's been on it like 4 other times

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

Charlie Mopps posted:

Has anyone listened to the History of the Crusades podcast? Its up to like 170 episodes so the maker at least is dedicated.

I have and the podcast is great! The first batch of episodes have the mandatory freshmen podcast audio quality problems, but it's definitely worth enduring through them.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Charlie Mopps posted:

I have, and I love it.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Whoops. Part 7 of Carlson's Reagan series was accidentally updated with part 1.

Sometimes I think about dropping My History Can Beat Up Your Politics because of these kind of Bush league mistakes.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Charlie Mopps posted:

I adore chronological historical podcasts (my biggest issue with the History of China, which led me to dropping it, was it's eclectic nature, I need structure!). Looks like a new one just got thrown into the rotation.

Still looking for things on all things French, particularly current politics, but history and language development would be great. Extra points if the shows are actually in French.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Charlie Mopps posted:

I'm really enjoying this.

mike12345 posted:

I couldn't stand this and had to turn it off, maybe I'll check back in in a few months and see if it's gotten better.

Hazborgufen
Apr 11, 2005

uPen posted:

I'm really enjoying this.

I couldn't stand this and had to turn it off, maybe I'll check back in in a few months and see if it's gotten better.

Same. I tried and I'm usually pretty forgiving, but I just couldn't take it. Between mispronouncing every other word and stumbling over inflection I was so distracted by the presentation that I wasn't able to focus on the content.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Charlie Mopps posted:

I'm six episodes in and I like it so far but please tell me she cranks up her audio at some point, she sounds like she's whispering.

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

:fork::fork::fork:
Yam Slacker

Charlie Mopps posted:

I like it, but it feels like she has covered crusade against the Cathars in microscopic detail compared to the earlier crusades. It may have been more compelling if covered at a brisker pace. Can't wait for Simon de Montfort to die.

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

C-Euro posted:

I'm six episodes in and I like it so far but please tell me she cranks up her audio at some point, she sounds like she's whispering.

She gets louder eventually

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

Nemico posted:

Is there a consensus on what the best content is on Arthurian stuff? I've listened to some on Myths and Legends but I'd really like way more than what they have.

If anyone is interested in this kind of thing, I did find Myths and Legends of Europe to be a good mix of brisk and detailed, without putting very much commentary onto the old values of ancient legends. The host can be kind of dry, but I warmed up to him pretty well and he doesn't waste your time. I listened to the whole series over a month and I think I'm going to give his original series on Greece and Rome a try!

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

I'm so glad in our time is back

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Request from a friend: a current events podcast that does a good job with historical context covering modern conflicts (Ukrane, Syria, Libya, etc). Anyone have any suggestions?

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

War on the rocks, and radio war nerd

Dec 30, 2008
Does anybody have any recommendations for good podcasts on Indian history/culture/religion?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

Really? Every history nerd I know is super liberal. Though, I guess pretty much everyone I know is super liberal. Am I just in a bubble (yes) and history nerds are generally conservative?

Military history nerds, mate.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Guest posted:

Does anybody have any recommendations for good podcasts on Indian history/culture/religion?

There is one called The History of India by Kit Patrick. I have listened to it a little bit, it's not bad. It covers ancient "India" , he starts around 600BC and is up to like 300BC, and I don't think he has plans to exit Ancient India. Unfortunately I find this part of Indian history boring as gently caress, and would be more interested in Mughal dynasty onward, but I haven't had any luck finding podcasts that cover that.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

mike12345 posted:

I haven't listened to this yet, but France Culture has a program on the Cold War... but it's in French.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I haven't listened to this yet, but France Culture has a program on the Cold War... but it's in French.

oh please post. my french needs practice anyway.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

mike12345 posted:

oh please post. my french needs practice anyway.

There's 46 episodes at this point, at 8 minutes each, and they seem to be embedded in the larger La Fabrique d'histoire podcast by France Culture.

This is the link for the Cold War episodes themselves. The larger podcast is history related and has a different program depending on the day, the Cold War stuff is a Monday exclusive.

I haven't heard it yet, but France Culture, and France Radio by extension, is pretty top-notch if dry.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

There's 46 episodes at this point, at 8 minutes each, and they seem to be embedded in the larger La Fabrique d'histoire podcast by France Culture.

This is the link for the Cold War episodes themselves. The larger podcast is history related and has a different program depending on the day, the Cold War stuff is a Monday exclusive.

I haven't heard it yet, but France Culture, and France Radio by extension, is pretty top-notch if dry.

I think I listened to that show years ago, but it was too dry for my taste. The episode was about medieval farmers lives, and they interviewed a historian. Good info, but not super entertaining. I'll give it another try.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah that's how Radio France rolls. Intellectuals up the wazoo.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Gynecolojustice posted:

There is one called The History of India by Kit Patrick. I have listened to it a little bit, it's not bad. It covers ancient "India" , he starts around 600BC and is up to like 300BC, and I don't think he has plans to exit Ancient India. Unfortunately I find this part of Indian history boring as gently caress, and would be more interested in Mughal dynasty onward, but I haven't had any luck finding podcasts that cover that.

I've been enjoying the hell out of this, so thanks for mentioning it!

Also maaan, maybe I should give the Neo Bonapartes another shot because they've apparently just finished a series on the Elamites, and that's just awesome.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I realized while listening to Dan Carlin's latest Persian Wars episode that I am really sick of him. I think it was the part where he compared the Persian army to "Clint Eastwood, but in a Batman role!" that I was just like gently caress this

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Speaking of Carlin did anybody listen to his latest Common Sense podcast? I don't actually listen to it myself but the summary sounds like peak Carlin.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Cockblocktopus posted:

Speaking of Carlin did anybody listen to his latest Common Sense podcast? I don't actually listen to it myself but the summary sounds like peak Carlin.

Nope I read the summary and decided I'd rather listen to 538 or Chapo if I felt like listening to a politics podcast.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Cockblocktopus posted:

It was basically a long screed about how you shouldn't discount third parties because of history, and how we're basically hosed if we don't address the same problems Carlin always wants addressed. Definitely Carlin as gently caress but not quite as nuts as the description makes it sound. Given the state of the third parties right now, that section falls on deaf ears real easy, but the history he brings up is interesting at least.

Maduo fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 17, 2016

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Cockblocktopus posted:

I think I said it before but about half the time he is really spot on and expresses what I was already thinking but better. Maybe another quarter I disagree, but he brings up points but I can see the perspective he is coming from. The rest of the time he is coming from crazy land

But this one is peak Carlin. His main point is that we are so starved for a reform period and things are so screwed up that the medicine will be really harsh. He has no love for Trump but seems to think that maybe just maybe he will be so bad that it will trigger this much needed reform, just like the excesses of Nixon and the Vietnam era led to the Church commission and other reforms.

If Trump is elected I hope he's right, but it is more like the Susan Sarandan argument back in 2000 that if we elect Bush he will be so bad it will trigger a revolution. Instead we got 2 bungled wars, a tax cut for the rich that squandered the surplus and an economic crash. Carlin sounds like a Bernie bro Jill Stein or bust.

The other fallisy is that the 3rd parties we have represent an improvement over the big 2 or even if one came along that was better it would stay better once it got into power.

Zeta Taskforce fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 17, 2016

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Hey man the lizardmen who rule the world worked really hard to make sure both major third party candidates could somehow be worse than both of the major first party candidates. You gotta respect that.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

An independently running Republican no one has ever heard of with no experience in elected office is running in the high 20s in Utah while Johnson and Stein are both in single digits. Third parties, especially Johnson and Stein, are useless.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Finished Inward Empire's Sword of the Wilderness pt. 2 yesterday. The quality of the writing is really impressive at times, who is this guy? Recommend. Also liking History on Fire's series on Caravaggio, worth checking out if you like the idea of a renaissance art gangster.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Gynecolojustice posted:

I realized while listening to Dan Carlin's latest Persian Wars episode that I am really sick of him. I think it was the part where he compared the Persian army to "Clint Eastwood, but in a Batman role!" that I was just like gently caress this

I sometimes get annoyed with his analogies too, and agaiiiiin I know that I'll be back to listen when the next episode is out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I think I said it before but about half the time he is really spot on and expresses what I was already thinking but better. Maybe another quarter I disagree, but he brings up points but I can see the perspective he is coming from. The rest of the time he is coming from crazy land

But this one is peak Carlin. His main point is that we are so starved for a reform period and things are so screwed up that the medicine will be really harsh. He has no love for Trump but seems to think that maybe just maybe he will be so bad that it will trigger this much needed reform, just like the excesses of Nixon and the Vietnam era led to the Church commission and other reforms.

If Trump is elected I hope he's right, but it is more like the Susan Sarandan argument back in 2000 that if we elect Bush he will be so bad it will trigger a revolution. Instead we got 2 bungled wars, a tax cut for the rich that squandered the surplus and an economic crash. Carlin sounds like a Bernie bro Jill Stein or bust.

The other fallisy is that the 3rd parties we have represent an improvement over the big 2 or even if one came along that was better it would stay better once it got into power.

Carlin's views on current politics are infantile and moronic.