Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

John McClane posted:

...Of 2 shows? They didn't do Gaim either.

Weren't most of the people working on Gaim affiliated with OT anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

What I've seen of Ex-Aid so far is extremely My poo poo.

Ex-Aid please continue to be radical.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Dexie posted:

Weren't most of the people working on Gaim affiliated with OT anyway?

Yeah, Aesir was Magenta and whoever was helping with QC and editing at the time.

Motto fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 3, 2016

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
Here's a tweet from EXCITE about their translation style, they're doing a Q and A later today.

https://twitter.com/EXCITEsubs/status/782743071486128128

I like tone they're attempting to hit, hopefully there's some consistency. I like localization a hell of a lot more than literal translation.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

HELL YES

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm sure some people on other forums will be very upset that the neon gamer/doctor/motorcyclist on a show for children is not presented 100% seriously. on the other hand,

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm excited.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

John McClane posted:

Here's a tweet from EXCITE about their translation style, they're doing a Q and A later today.

https://twitter.com/EXCITEsubs/status/782743071486128128

I like tone they're attempting to hit, hopefully there's some consistency. I like localization a hell of a lot more than literal translation.

Yeah localized yet accurate translations are the best kind

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I like how the official captions say "M" and people are still referring to the guy as "Emu."

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

I like Kamen Rider Trapper Keeper, he's pretty cool.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Caphi posted:

I like how the official captions say "M" and people are still referring to the guy as "Emu."

As far as I understood, Emu is his actual name, M is his gamer name. You'd know more than me, but I doubt his name is constantly written in romaji.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Blaze Dragon posted:

As far as I understood, Emu is his actual name, M is his gamer name. You'd know more than me, but I doubt his name is constantly written in romaji.

Oh, I didn't even catch his regular name. Shows me for shooting my mouth off.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
Episode 1 is up! Excite says they're gonna try to shoot for a Wednesday release schedule.

https://excitesubs.wordpress.com/2016/10/03/kamen-rider-ex-aid-episode-1/

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
it seems OK so far.
Emu seems pretty stupid.
Excite pulled the "rad skills" line in favor of a more literal translation, I hope they don't listen to the wrong people and end up another TV Nihon.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Hemingway To Go! posted:

it seems OK so far.
Emu seems pretty stupid.
Excite pulled the "rad skills" line in favor of a more literal translation, I hope they don't listen to the wrong people and end up another TV Nihon.

Listen, how else are we going to learn an important lesson about yuujou? :colbert:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
There are so many people in the comments asking them to translate less...
I legitimately do not understand them.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

mikeycp posted:

There are so many people in the comments asking them to translate less...
I legitimately do not understand them.

It's the same as it ever was. People shat all over Ted Woolsey's RPG translations from the SNES era, but his little weird quirks and inclusions are honestly a lot of fun. He took what he had to work with, which was Nintendo of America's fairly strict set of standards for "family friendly content", and still managed to capture a lot of magic. I don't really understand people who don't prefer the version of Chrono Trigger where Frog, despite nobody else from his time period talking like that, talks with a goofy faux Shakespearean dialect. I think giving him a verbal tic like that made him a lot more memorable and interesting.

I think it's a cargo cult thing. There's this idea weeaboos have that Japanese is some kind of beautiful and noble language that is more perfect than our white devil English. I used to harbor that idea in like middle school. It's just another language, and literalistically translating a language whose idioms are like 80% puns by volume does it a major disservice.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I mean. I get why they want it. It's more of how does someone get so broken as to want that and think it's legitimately better.

It's insane.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

deadly_pudding posted:

It's the same as it ever was. People shat all over Ted Woolsey's RPG translations from the SNES era, but his little weird quirks and inclusions are honestly a lot of fun. He took what he had to work with, which was Nintendo of America's fairly strict set of standards for "family friendly content", and still managed to capture a lot of magic. I don't really understand people who don't prefer the version of Chrono Trigger where Frog, despite nobody else from his time period talking like that, talks with a goofy faux Shakespearean dialect. I think giving him a verbal tic like that made him a lot more memorable and interesting.

I think it's a cargo cult thing. There's this idea weeaboos have that Japanese is some kind of beautiful and noble language that is more perfect than our white devil English. I used to harbor that idea in like middle school. It's just another language, and literalistically translating a language whose idioms are like 80% puns by volume does it a major disservice.

On the one hand, a translation shouldn't suppress the character. On the other hand, a translation ideally shouldn't change the character, however "memorable" the new character is. These can both be true.

I think a lot of baby translators and people who are not translators have an extreme reaction for or against TVN bullshit and the latter swing to the other direction. I certainly went through a phase of thinking that all you had to be was funny and broadly sensical. I also think a lot of people are just bound to nostalgia for old translations of old things that were produced under non-ideal circumstances. (Cargo cult, if you want to put it that way.) Lots of newer games have translations that are both appropriately colored and textually accurate.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
They should translate more. Those idiots will still download it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

deadly_pudding posted:

It's the same as it ever was. People shat all over Ted Woolsey's RPG translations from the SNES era, but his little weird quirks and inclusions are honestly a lot of fun. He took what he had to work with, which was Nintendo of America's fairly strict set of standards for "family friendly content", and still managed to capture a lot of magic.

"When they felt down, they'd take a leap of faith off the cliffs to the north. Perked 'em right up!"

I know, it wasn't really his fault. No way was Nintendo going to allow talk about (and depictions of, even if Celes did survive) suicide in their games at the time. I guess he did the best he could with the scene but it's still really dumb, though again, I don't think anyone else could really have done better.

Plus he made Edgar less of a creep since he's not flirting with a 10 year old in the English version, so props for that.

quote:

There's this idea weeaboos have that Japanese is some kind of beautiful and noble language that is more perfect than our white devil English.

Which is fantastically illustrated by takenoko's post on TVN claiming that localizing things to be understandable to an English audience is "cultural whitewashing." I mean to a degree that can happen, like 4Kids' bizarre obsession with turning onigiri rice balls into jelly donuts and cookies, but changing a line like "Speak of Cao Cao, and Cao Cao will appear" into "Speak of the devil" isn't hurting anything since probably 90% of the US has no idea who Cao Cao is.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
more importantly, ex aid is completely ridiculous and i am totally into that

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

more importantly, ex aid is completely ridiculous and i am totally into that

Agreed. Doubling down completely on the camp factor can only benefit this guy. Also, I actually really like his gimmick where transforming creates like a little weird reality bubble where video game stuff for him to use starts to appear in the real world.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Big Nova Subs finished all of Kyodai Ken Bycrosser

This is all you need to know about Bycrosser:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
*slowly nods, then gives a thumbs up*

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Twelve by Pies posted:

but changing a line like "Speak of Cao Cao, and Cao Cao will appear" into "Speak of the devil" isn't hurting anything since probably 90% of the US has no idea who Cao Cao is.
That expression is Chinese, anyways. Are the Japanese whitewashing by not using "Gossip about someone and their shadow appears"?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Now that Ex-Aid is started, we should change the thread tag to something more appropriate. Get something from Games.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I have no problem with subs that get creative to get the tone and characterization across, but when you get to stuff like "eoten", or changing mythological references to made up names, or making a character cockney for no drat reason, that's a step too far.

tldr I guess we're lucky this group doesn't do the same poo poo commie does

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's awkward in fansubs since changes will remain confined to a single group's release rather than becoming common terminology for western fans, but those sorts of changes aren't uncommon. OT and Aesir have come up with weapon and even character names in the past.

Also turn more characters Scottish.

Motto fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 4, 2016

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Motto posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYNrK0zFNSY

it had to be done.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Motto posted:

It's awkward in fansubs since changes will remain confined to a single group's release rather than becoming common terminology for western fans, but those sorts of changes aren't uncommon. OT and Aesir have come up with weapon and even character names in the past.

Weren't there a bunch of people who were pissed off about the Warring/Sengoku change in Gaim?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Change things to get meaning across. To inform. To give a sense of what the Japanese version is trying to express while also make it flow better.

Just don't invent stuff whole hog.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Pyroi posted:

Weren't there a bunch of people who were pissed off about the Warring/Sengoku change in Gaim?

This was an extreme example of the pratfalls that can occur when translating a series as it goes along. Their reasoning for this was that the Japanese name of the Sengoku Driver used an unconventional kanji, and they weren't sure whether the word having an altered spelling would be relevant or not, so they played it safe.

It was not relevant.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Dr. Warren Sengoku

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Subbing weekly is a dance of risk management and it didn't help that we both had, actually, a tendency to go big. (A lot of things I say are lessons from when my own habits have got me in trouble.) In fact, Lexi ultimately regretted Wärring; I don't really care that much, but we never got around to releasing a fixbatch (which would have also addressed things like the Woman of the Beginning).

I will, however, still defend Ornac.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Kamen Rider Dongly.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

More fun in week by week TL: OT translating GoBuster-Oh's name as GoBuster King, only for the show to pull the rug out from under them with a new mech named, in English, GoBuster King.

Motto fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 4, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Motto posted:

Another fun case in week by week TL: OT translating GoBuster-Oh's name, only for the show to pull the rug out from under them with a new mech named GoBuster King.

Call it GoBuster-Oh, get yourself a little Street Fighter 2 situation going on.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Waffleman_ posted:

Call it GoBuster-Oh, get yourself a little Street Fighter 2 situation going on.

I think they did, but I heard it actually makes more sense that way - an Oh robot becomes King and Ace becomes Oh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Motto posted:

Dr. Warren Sengoku

Dr. Warren Statesman. :colbert:

• Locked thread