Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I have searched the parts of the US in which I have traveled for a proper cornish pasty. Rarely have I found something that comes close, and never have I found a true match.

I found this place by accident in a godforsaken place. B & J Bakery purports to specialize in cornish pasties. Imagine my delight!

But no. I knew the instant I took a bite that it was Wrong. I had a conversation with the owner. He seemed ashamed, a little, when I pointed out that my "cornish pasty" contained potato instead of rutabega, that holy of root vegetables which the British call "swedes." It's not like rutabega/swede is impossible to come by: my local produce market always has them on the shelf. The man could offer no excuse. I think he uses potatoes out of expediency, or perhaps because they better suit the (hick) locals' unrefined palettes.

In any case it is impossible to properly replicate British pastry, or any other baked good, without expensively importing British flour (which is made from different varieties of wheat and refined in a different way) and British dairy (which comes from a different breed of cattle, raised on different feed). The only actual way to eat a proper British Cornish Pasty in America is to import one, frozen, and then prepare it at home.

I have done this. It is not right. As you can well imagine, frozen precooked thawed reheated pastry is... well, best not discussed in detail.

There is only one way. Travel to Britain and buy a hot fresh Cornish Pasty, and then puzzle at what the gently caress Leperfish was on about, this is fine but it's nothing special, because yours will not be flavored with the powerful jolt of nostalgia that kicks any food's impact up by an inimitable notch. But if you can somehow imagine what it tastes like if you ate them on a cold rainy evening outside a combination post office/takeout restaurant in a village in rural England when you were 15, standing about in the wet with your 'mates,' talking shite, and then left, and did not get to eat one for the next 25 or more years? Perhaps you will have an inkling.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Or, or, or, you could just get yourself a calzone.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

There is only one way. Travel to Britain and buy a hot fresh Cornish Pasty, and then puzzle at what the gently caress Leperfish was on about, this is fine but it's nothing special, because yours will not be flavored with the powerful jolt of nostalgia that kicks any food's impact up by an inimitable notch. But if you can somehow imagine what it tastes like if you ate them on a cold rainy evening outside a combination post office/takeout restaurant in a village in rural England when you were 15, standing about in the wet with your 'mates,' talking shite, and then left, and did not get to eat one for the next 25 or more years? Perhaps you will have an inkling.
I am a man who, while living in Canada, subsisted on nothing but homemade gumbo for eight days straight. I did not share.

I understand.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Or, or, or, you could just get yourself a calzone.

Look. A calzone is just a pizza folded in half and sealed. I am talking about pastry.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

enri posted:

Andy. Heresy Andy. I have to bite my tongue any time that dragon comes up in conversation. I admire his devotion but there's a line that says "enough, this is not healthy for me or my immediate family" and I think he crossed it a very long time ago.

The whole story is sad but I get irrationally angry about it when I really shouldn't.

gently caress that guy.

Pie chat is fascinating and all, but I too want to know the deal with this guy.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So far my favorite part of the new Genestealer Cult codex is the implied rape and incest.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

LordAba posted:

So far my favorite part of the new Genestealer Cult codex is the implied rape and incest.

bring back fimir to age of sigmar, gw

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

sinburger posted:

I am sure someone will have a better breakdown of this, but basically lots of people told him he should make a dragon miniature (because he made nice monsters) so he embarked on this project to make a huge rear end dragon. Actually producing it turned into a nightmare, he had to redo a bunch of poo poo, and ultimately he ended up making, I don't know, maybe a hundred or more of the things at a loss. He fired people from the business and I think he even sold his house over it? He should have just abandoned the project once it was clearly a white elephant and tried to pay people off or something instead, but he was totally committed to following through :shrug:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Kickended is amazing.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Leperflesh posted:

I have searched the parts of the US in which I have traveled for a proper cornish pasty. Rarely have I found something that comes close, and never have I found a true match.

I found this place by accident in a godforsaken place. B & J Bakery purports to specialize in cornish pasties. Imagine my delight!

But no. I knew the instant I took a bite that it was Wrong. I had a conversation with the owner. He seemed ashamed, a little, when I pointed out that my "cornish pasty" contained potato instead of rutabega, that holy of root vegetables which the British call "swedes." It's not like rutabega/swede is impossible to come by: my local produce market always has them on the shelf. The man could offer no excuse. I think he uses potatoes out of expediency, or perhaps because they better suit the (hick) locals' unrefined palettes.

In any case it is impossible to properly replicate British pastry, or any other baked good, without expensively importing British flour (which is made from different varieties of wheat and refined in a different way) and British dairy (which comes from a different breed of cattle, raised on different feed). The only actual way to eat a proper British Cornish Pasty in America is to import one, frozen, and then prepare it at home.

I have done this. It is not right. As you can well imagine, frozen precooked thawed reheated pastry is... well, best not discussed in detail.

They make Pasties in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Cornish miners brought them over and they became popular with the other people working in the copper/iron mines there. No idea how authentic they are but at least they have rutabega.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

Kickended is amazing.

I started looking at kickended.com and it's sad and funny at the same time.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
I went to a rugby league match in West Yorkshire and ate two pies and chased them with two pints and God drat if that wasn't the best thing.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

the main article of British cuisine I regret not being popular over here is liver-and-onions

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
On a similar note, haggis is delicious and does not deserve its bad reputation. I wish I could get it easier in the States. The only real option seems to be mail order so I may have to do that at some point.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I live in the midwest, will trade good cheese for good seafood. Fish fries only get you so far.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Midwest also has good beer and good brats.

Too bad it's still the Midwest.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Safety Factor posted:

On a similar note, haggis is delicious and does not deserve its bad reputation. I wish I could get it easier in the States. The only real option seems to be mail order so I may have to do that at some point.

some areas of heavy Scotch or Scotts-Irish settlement hold knockoff Highland Games every year, where there's usually haggis for sale at the food stands

the one I'm familiar with is in Glasgow, KY

No idea how good or authentic the haggis is, though.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

PupsOfWar posted:

some areas of heavy Scotch or Scotts-Irish settlement hold knockoff Highland Games every year, where there's usually haggis for sale at the food stands

the one I'm familiar with is in Glasgow, KY

No idea how good or authentic the haggis is, though.

haggis is illegal in the US so not very

which sucks because haggis is amazing

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

haggis is illegal in the US so not very

which sucks because haggis is amazing

it's the organ casing that's illegal, right?

wonder what they use as a substitute in the fake concession-stand haggis, then.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 4, 2016

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
gently caress pasties, you filthy southerners. Pies and scotch eggs. All day, every day.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

PupsOfWar posted:

it's the organ casing that's illegal, right?

wonder what they use as a substitute in the fake concession-stand haggis, then.
It's not the casing, it's the sheep's lung. There are some companies that bypass that by omitting that ingredient. Apparently they use beef liver instead. There's also been talk of lifting that ban.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

neaden posted:

They make Pasties in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Cornish miners brought them over and they became popular with the other people working in the copper/iron mines there. No idea how authentic they are but at least they have rutabega.

Huh. I recently spent a little time in Wisconsin, but we would not have had time to get over to Michigan. I will need to keep this in mind, though.

PupsOfWar posted:

the main article of British cuisine I regret not being popular over here is liver-and-onions

Hm. I recall liver and onions being fairly common when I was a kid, but I think it's gone out of style. In any case it's not at all difficult to make that yourself if you want. Both beef and chicken liver is readily available at any decent butcher.

Safety Factor posted:

It's not the casing, it's the sheep's lung. There are some companies that bypass that by omitting that ingredient. Apparently they use beef liver instead. There's also been talk of lifting that ban.

Yeah the worry was about humans somehow getting scrapie from eating lung, but as far as I know, that has never been documented to have happened anywhere ever. I mean that's pretty loving ridiculous to ban a food on the basis that you're worried that something that has never happened might happen suddenly? It is a prion disease which... ok, prions are loving terrifying, but unlike BSE, the scrapie prion doesn't seem to be dangerous to humans. And, you know, farmers go way out of their way these days to eliminate prion diseases anyway, although there's still a dozen or so cases a year in the UK.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why would anyone care about British food if they're in America and can get Mexican food and Vietnamese food?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Why would anyone care about British food if they're in America and can get Mexican food and Vietnamese food?

I just rolled my eyes so hard I ripped my ocular nerves and now I can't see any more, thanks for that

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

I mean, I love both of those things too, but more variety is nice? Also I lived in the UK during three pretty formative years and there were certain foods to eat that are hard or impossible to get here.

Also this:

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

I just rolled my eyes so hard I ripped my ocular nerves and now I can't see any more, thanks for that

Exactly. A lot of British food is bad, yes. A lot of American food is bad too. In fact everyplace has bad food, including France. There are still standouts, wherever you go. People everywhere have come up with good things to eat. You should try them if you get the chance, Guy Goodbody.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Food is good and I like to eat it.

GW is not good and I would not eat it.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
The Heresy dragon saga is written up on the sculptors blog although there seems to be no way to link it directly.

http://heresyminiatures.com/shop/blog/

Titled Dragon Slayed.
Worth a read.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Avenging Dentist posted:

Food is good and I like to eat it.

GW is not good and I would not eat it.

I would eat GW skittles if it meant saving our hobby from them

and when I say eat I mean set GW HQ on fire

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Leperflesh posted:

Exactly. A lot of British food is bad, yes. A lot of American food is bad too. In fact everyplace has bad food, including France. There are still standouts, wherever you go. People everywhere have come up with good things to eat. You should try them if you get the chance, Guy Goodbody.

If anything I consider France the world capital of bad food. There's nothing wrong with french food as a whole, but most food is pretty good even when done poorly or cheap, at least going in. Poorly or cheaply done french food however is completely without any redeeming qualities. The Holy City of bad food is Paris which is filled to the brim to tourist traps masquerading as fine dining barfing out inedible french cuisine that'll make you beg for McDonald's.

Mandatory disclaimer that unless feeling adventurous I'd probably still pick bad french over poorly and cheaply made Extreme Chinese or other similar things. Sure the improperly made century eggs or stinky tofu or whatever would taste better, but I choose life.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The gently caress is this about

sinburger posted:

Serotonin posted:

The Heresy dragon saga is written up on the sculptors blog although there seems to be no way to link it directly.

http://heresyminiatures.com/shop/blog/

Titled Dragon Slayed.
Worth a read.

It's not immediately obvious but the link is:
http://heresyminiatures.com/shop/blog/2015/08/dragon-slayed/

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
There's a lot of Yanks in this thread who give waaaaaaaaay more of a gently caress about lovely British cuisine than we do

Like, liver and onions, christ. No-one eats that anymore. There's a reason we wholeheartedly bought into curries and made it our actual national cuisine you know, with the exception of pies which are also cool and good.

But no-one in the UK gives a gently caress what you put in your pie, that's an American thing where you lot just seem to love Love LOVE arguing endlessly about the minute details of foods, as if someone had killed your firstborn child when they say that New York pizza is better than Chicago or something.

It's all good, put potato in your pasties, you might prefer it to swede!

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Hra Mormo posted:

If anything I consider France the world capital of bad food. There's nothing wrong with french food as a whole, but most food is pretty good even when done poorly or cheap, at least going in. Poorly or cheaply done french food however is completely without any redeeming qualities. The Holy City of bad food is Paris which is filled to the brim to tourist traps masquerading as fine dining barfing out inedible french cuisine that'll make you beg for McDonald's.

Mandatory disclaimer that unless feeling adventurous I'd probably still pick bad french over poorly and cheaply made Extreme Chinese or other similar things. Sure the improperly made century eggs or stinky tofu or whatever would taste better, but I choose life.

French food is:

1. Really loving great aromatic ingredients in some kind of delicious stew or soup
2. Amazing bread
3. Amazing cheese

With the exception of pastries it's always the fact that the French are really picky about using great ingredients that make the food special, not the actual food itself, so no wonder bad French food is so lovely

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
My nostalgic English food of choice is a good plate of bangers & mash. There's a place right on Bristol pool that raised that poo poo to an art form. So good.

But then again, the best Indian food I've ever had was in Edinburgh, so :shrug:

I live in a college town here in the states. The variety of different cuisines available is both dizzying and awesome for a town this size. You want good Moroccan or Ethiopian food? We've got you covered. Kimchi that will melt your face off? No worries. There's a place called "Pho House," can you guess what they serve? There's a Mexican joint around the corner that specializes in the cuisine of Jalisco - their menudo (tripe soup) is apparently life-changing - and we have a "Coney Island" that is a crypto-Honduran place - if you know to ask for the correct menu. We've got good Jamaican jerked chicken, both high-end and casual Japanese food, really good Indian food (northern, sourthern, and Kashmiri, they're all different), and given that it's southeast Michigan, we've got more good middle-eastern food than you can shake a stick at. Oooh, and a shishi-but-still-fantastic Cuban place. And good Puerto Rican, a wide variety of different Thai and Chinese cuisines, and gently caress you fuckers are making me hungry again.

We don't have Afghan or Burmese (both of which are amazing), but it's only a matter of time.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Ilor posted:

We don't have Afghan or Burmese (both of which are amazing), but it's only a matter of time.

You mean before President Trump sends all arabs back to their country?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
my local butchers does a really good steak and ale minced beef pastie

its really darn good!

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Moola posted:

my local butchers does a really good steak and ale minced beef pastie

its really darn good!

where's the swede Moola

where's the swede?!?

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

MikeCrotch posted:

2. Amazing bread

I'll inform anyone who'll listen that German Bread Culture is World Cultural Heritage according to UNESCO. That's how great german bread is :smug:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

MikeCrotch posted:

where's the swede Moola

where's the swede?!?

we deported all the swedes after brexit

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

LordAba posted:

That was the whole basis of Genestealer hybrids so they are being faithful to the history of that army but yeah they should have updated that backstory since maybe the rapey poo poo in their game, that according to the posters at my local comic store advertising Warhammer, they are trying to get boys and girls under 13 into isn't really that cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Bistromatic posted:

I'll inform anyone who'll listen that German Bread Culture is World Cultural Heritage according to UNESCO. That's how great german bread is :smug:

Is German bread subject to the same stringent purity laws that make German beer so boring?

• Locked thread