Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

WrenP-Complete posted:

If I was winning games based on what I was wearing, I wouldn't change what I was wearing and encourage someone to pay more attention to the game.

If you tap your dignity, do you get to return cards to your hand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

If you tap your dignity, do you get to return cards to your hand?

Come on, I'm no chump.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Context: Redditor mad about No Man's Sky. Because they still have nothing better to do. Decides threats of violence is a reasonable response to CRIMES AGAINST GAMERS.

Edit:

Ularg has a new favorite as of 02:09 on Oct 4, 2016

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010
Man, Sean Murray is a lying sack of poo poo but jesus. Maybe like just take their money, don't gotta kill a dude

e: "I enjoy not having to think about the genitals I can't see when I masturbate" - a person with a thoroughly healthy view of sexuality

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

WrenP-Complete posted:

Come on, I'm no chump.

No honor, save victory.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

IamnotJoe posted:

In the new Mafia game the protagonist is black and you can shoot up a KKK rally.

I have something from Reddit where some guy took a creeper picture of a girl playing Magic the gathering at a shop with a low cut Shirt. Want to post but the whole thing makes me depressed.

Ive never played a mafia game but why is the protagonist black?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

banned from Starbucks posted:

Why not?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

banned from Starbucks posted:

The protagonist is setting up a criminal enterprise opposed to the Mafia instead of being a member in this one. But, I mean they could easily have made a game where the main character is a black affiliate of the mafia with the fact that he can't become a made man despite doing all the legwork a player character does playing into the inevitable turning against the gang that always happens in the Mafia games.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
To be fair the "classic" Sicilian mafia (Cosa Nostra) is comprised of members of Italian heritage and is hella racist. Mafia III takes place in 1960s New Orleans though.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The Mafia?! Racist?!?!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

racism in my mafia?

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

#notallmafiosi

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

It's #notallmademen surely

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

cohsae posted:

It's #notallmademen surely

Yeah, that rolls off the tongue better, sounds funnier.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still
My ex got me into Magic, and I loving loved drafting, but even when I went with him I had to deal with loving creepers constantly. I had dudes treating me like a child ("aww, that meanie beat you? Are you gonna cry?") making lovely sexist comments, ogling me and one lovely rear end in a top hat intentionally elbowed me in the loving ribs when I was walking by. There's a reason I haven't played in 2 years. But these same loving shitheads will whine and moan about how they can never find women who play Magic.

Anyway, here's a thing, courtesy of my coworkers:

I work for a chain that's popular with the liberal/hippie crowd, but right down the hill from a town full of conservative rednecks. I have waaaaay too many coworkers who are that weird blend of "I'm so much more enlightened than my ignorant republican christian parents" and "the government is EVIL and tryin to take mah guns!!!!" It's super depressing to befriend someone and think they're a reasonable human being, then one day they decide to hit me with a rant about how the government is poisoning us with fluoride to keep us docile, and I'm a moron for voting because it's a rigged system anyway :downs: I guess I'd better just hole myself up in the hills with a mountain of weed and guns, reading Anonymous memes and jerking off.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Nettles Coterie posted:

My ex got me into Magic, and I loving loved drafting, but even when I went with him I had to deal with loving creepers constantly. I had dudes treating me like a child ("aww, that meanie beat you? Are you gonna cry?") making lovely sexist comments, ogling me and one lovely rear end in a top hat intentionally elbowed me in the loving ribs when I was walking by. There's a reason I haven't played in 2 years. But these same loving shitheads will whine and moan about how they can never find women who play Magic.

gently caress every one of those guys. I can't stand seeing that level of patronising poo poo in a hobby that's supposed to be fun even if you're a hyper-competitive shitheel. If you do actually enjoy playing Magic and the like, maybe see if there's a Lady Planeswalker Society chapter nearby. Despite the name, it's supposed to be something of an inclusive beginner's group.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
https://twitter.com/JimSterling/status/782848214139482113

Mah vidya games :cry:

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

He actually mentioned this guy on his latest Jimquisition episode. I'm so glad it was as whiny as I hoped it would be :allears:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I'm real happy about big shooter games having black protagonists. It's about time really. Hope it will be more than just a passing fluke.

I'm a white male and I always pick something that is not a white male when I play anything because that's just real boring. I just can't imagine being able to only identify with the he most generic white male shooty mcshootface.

Also it makes huge idiots hugely mad which is a big big bonus.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I'm starting to avoid playing white male protags too. If possible I'll make my character in games a woman. Especially in multiplayer games so I can be part of the difference that adds more diversity instead of seeing a lobby of white dudes running around.

To be clear, though, I'll always want a creator to make their protag whatever they want. If that means they want it to be a straight white male, fine. I'm just against the market and publishers pretty much forcing creators to tailor their characters for market appeal.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

I hope it goes deep into the racism of the day that existed in the armed forces. I mean, gently caress's sake, the US Military was still segregated at the time, you have some great stories to tell there, about treatment at home versus overseas, about serving with the non-segregated French army. They have a chance to really tell a story about a major point in African American history in an accessible format.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

My favourite lovely white men in gaming anecdote was that Rust game, where when you spawn you get a random character that you cannot change. In a patch they made it so you could be a black man. So many whiny gamers upset that they were forced to play as a black guy.

Ularg posted:

I'm starting to avoid playing white male protags too. If possible I'll make my character in games a woman. Especially in multiplayer games so I can be part of the difference that adds more diversity instead of seeing a lobby of white dudes running around.

To be clear, though, I'll always want a creator to make their protag whatever they want. If that means they want it to be a straight white male, fine. I'm just against the market and publishers pretty much forcing creators to tailor their characters for market appeal.

Femshep best shep.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I remember when San Andreas was announced and people absolutely flipped their poo poo about CJ. That backlash was definitely way bigger in scale than the people currently moaning about battlefield/watch dogs 2/the new mafia, but this was way before social/political critique of video games was a Thing in the way it is now, so a lot of people's complaints about having to play as A Black went completely unchallenged. When it eventually got a PC release, "white CJ" was one of the first really popular mods on the scene.

So many completely earnest arguments that Claude and Tommy were "relatable" and "immersive" protagonists in a way that CJ wasn't for some mysterious reason

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

I always chose the Sikh guy when I play Far Cry 2. Because he's cool. I mean, say what you will about how little your choice of character mattered, at least they gave you a pretty diverse array of options.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Fathis Munk posted:

I'm real happy about big shooter games having black protagonists. It's about time really. Hope it will be more than just a passing fluke.

I'm a white male and I always pick something that is not a white male when I play anything because that's just real boring. I just can't imagine being able to only identify with the he most generic white male shooty mcshootface.

Also it makes huge idiots hugely mad which is a big big bonus.

It's a thing that really puzzles me about the latest DOOM. You spend almost exactly enough time with The Doomslayer (the protagonist, explicitly not the same space marine as in previous games) to figure out that he's definitely a white male (phew!) before he puts on a suit of inch-thick power armour and spends the remaining awesome game as a functionally raceless, genderless blob-avatar of pragmatic rage. They could have avoided that easily by putting your naked white guy body in, say, an opaque underlayer-body suit of some kind, never show you the the torso area, and bam, protagonist is a true every-audience avatar- but no, had to stick that fat-fingered gormless white dude hand in frame.

I loved the game, by the way. It's one of the most body-focused, kinetic-feedback games I've ever played. But that fuckin' moment just leaves me with so many questions.

Somfin has a new favorite as of 09:57 on Oct 4, 2016

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Huh that's a really good point, I didn't think about it.

I wonder if it's done on purpose or just a force of habit.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

KiteAuraan posted:

I hope it goes deep into the racism of the day that existed in the armed forces. I mean, gently caress's sake, the US Military was still segregated at the time, you have some great stories to tell there, about treatment at home versus overseas, about serving with the non-segregated French army. They have a chance to really tell a story about a major point in African American history in an accessible format.

But they won't because video games are a ~power fantasy~ so the player character won't be treated any differently at all despite their race and despite the time period.Also it's a Battlefield game so they probably aren't attempting to do something like that because they will be more focused on the shootmans aspect.

The new Deus-Ex game is a good example of this going wrong because they wanted to go for "all augmented people are treated like second class citizens" but the player, as an augmented person, Is special and can go where they want or do what they want because they are the player character and we don't want the player not feeling all poweful all the time do we?

With all of that said though, i'm still gonna end up buying it because you run dudes through with a sword as you ride by on a horse. loving awesome.

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

sinking belle posted:

I remember when San Andreas was announced and people absolutely flipped their poo poo about CJ. That backlash was definitely way bigger in scale than the people currently moaning about battlefield/watch dogs 2/the new mafia, but this was way before social/political critique of video games was a Thing in the way it is now, so a lot of people's complaints about having to play as A Black went completely unchallenged. When it eventually got a PC release, "white CJ" was one of the first really popular mods on the scene.

So many completely earnest arguments that Claude and Tommy were "relatable" and "immersive" protagonists in a way that CJ wasn't for some mysterious reason

Claude and Tommy were fuckin near faceless psychopaths, and while CJ killed a lot of people at least he had a personality and some level of personal connectivity. How could anyone have thought otherwise? And how could a "white mod" do anything to make racists more comfortable with an (admittedly problematic) extremely black story?

Any write ups of this whole reaction? I wasn't aware of any such thing when the game was new

e: A man who had his mother killed versus Tommy "coke and murder" Vercetti. Literally insane

Xen Tricks has a new favorite as of 10:05 on Oct 4, 2016

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

But they won't because video games are a ~power fantasy~ so the player character won't be treated any differently at all despite their race and despite the time period.Also it's a Battlefield game so they probably aren't attempting to do something like that because they will be more focused on the shootmans aspect.

The new Deus-Ex game is a good example of this going wrong because they wanted to go for "all augmented people are treated like second class citizens" but the player, as an augmented person, Is special and can go where they want or do what they want because they are the player character and we don't want the player not feeling all poweful all the time do we?

With all of that said though, i'm still gonna end up buying it because you run dudes through with a sword as you ride by on a horse. loving awesome.

And I think one of the singleplayer protagonists is an Arabic woman, who runs dudes through with a sword as you ride by on a horse. Sadly they decided to leave women soldiers out of multiplayer, because the devs knew that the male fanbase wouldn't be able to handle it (though the new star wars battlefront had lady rebels which was rad)

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Fashionable Jorts posted:

And I think one of the singleplayer protagonists is an Arabic woman, who runs dudes through with a sword as you ride by on a horse. Sadly they decided to leave women soldiers out of multiplayer, because the devs knew that the male fanbase wouldn't be able to handle it.

Yet they had women in Battlefront, despite the movies never showing a woman who was not Leia in battle. Or an alien that wasn't Chewbacca for that matter. Basically, the Rebel Alliance was pretty drat white and male.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Yeah that's also something that I found off about the witcher where you're supposed to be reviled as a mutant freak and there are a couple one off lines about it but it never goes anywhere because it would impede game play.

At least in dude sex you get passport controlled when you take the non Aug paths in the metro.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Somfin posted:

It's a thing that really puzzles me about the latest DOOM. You spend almost exactly enough time with The Doomslayer (the protagonist, explicitly not the same space marine as in previous games) to figure out that he's definitely a white male (phew!) before he puts on a suit of inch-thick power armour and spends the remaining awesome game as a functionally raceless, genderless blob-avatar of pragmatic rage. They could have avoided that easily by putting your naked white guy body in, say, an opaque underlayer-body suit of some kind, never show you the the torso area, and bam, protagonist is a true every-audience avatar- but no, had to stick that fat-fingered gormless white dude hand in frame.

I loved the game, by the way. It's one of the most body-focused, kinetic-feedback games I've ever played. But that fuckin' moment just leaves me with so many questions.

Jesus I never realized that. Just shows how much I take for granted as a white dude.

KiteAuraan posted:

The stories I've heard about that time is that a black Vietnam vet would go to a restaurant in his UNIFORM and be told "We don't server N---- here". Imagine saying that today?

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

KiteAuraan posted:

I don't think the single player is going to be particularly deep given Battlefield is mostly a multiplayer game, but the game is going to include the Harlem Hellfighters, the all black American fighter squadron that fought for France, the British medic class is also a Sikh which is neat as hell.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
The Assange-Alex Jones interview is a loving clusterfuck.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

du -hast posted:

Any highlights?

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

du -hast posted:

Considering he was born on the island across from my town I'm shocked he isn't ten shades stranger and a drug addict.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

E; yay lovely net making me double post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

KiteAuraan posted:

Yet they had women in Battlefront, despite the movies never showing a woman who was not Leia in battle. Or an alien that wasn't Chewbacca for that matter. Basically, the Rebel Alliance was pretty drat white and male.

Speaking of aliens and Chewbaccas, its hilarious to me that gamers talk about what an amazing hobby it is because they get to experience the grand imaginary vistas of Azeroth or Morrowind, and be a vampire or a robot or a skelleton or a dark elf or whatever Q-bert is supposed to be. But heaven forfeind they are asked to identify with someone as exotic and threatening as A Girl or A Black.