Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

There's so much stuff already designed and plotted out in tabletop that CA can keep making DLC and expansions for the next 5 years (all of which I'll probably talk myself into buying), and the move away from a setting that pays lip service to history means that they've been able to actually make the battles snappy. The one weakness in TWW that I can see is that the battle maps weren't made by the exact same people who made the Shogun 2 maps, but you can't have everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
I guess I'm the aberrant because I've gotten to the end of the shogun 2 campaigns with almost every faction, same with this game. Just haven't done dwarves or greenskins because I'm also waiting for a grim and the grave style DLC for them. I think if there were harder or multiple end time events that you had to deal with it might make the late game more interesting. The first time you deal with the chaos invasion it can be difficult because you don't know what to expect. If they added more randomness that you can't prepare for and made it fun to deal with I think that would go a long way.

Was certain they were going to tease the wood elves or anything today. Been holding off on playing until the next DLC. I just want my god drat army of nothing but pissed off trees in multiplayer.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Trujillo posted:

I guess I'm the aberrant because I've gotten to the end of the shogun 2 campaigns with almost every faction, same with this game. Never finished campaigns in any other though. I think if there were harder or multiple end time events that you had to deal with it might make it more interesting. The first time you deal with the chaos invasion it can be difficult because you don't know what to expect. If they added more randomness that you can't prepare for and made it fun to deal with I think that would go a long way.

Was certain they were going to tease the wood elves or anything today. Been holding off on playing until the next DLC. I just want my god drat army of nothing but pissed off trees in multiplayer.

They normally announce on Tuesday so here's hoping for something this week.

More waves of ramping chaos invasions would be cool but a wider range of antagonist factions would be better. Chaos is the most boring factions to fight and once you learn how to beat the challenge drops. Variety will come as they expand the game, but I'd like faction specific threats. For instance, if your dwarf or human them at turn 150 there's a global waagh where orc stacks spawn in the east and all greenskin AI get an income boost, no upkeep for awhile, and increased agression

Also, an End Times mode where Chaos Invasions becomes like an arcade game and has infinite waves. Each stronger and with more hordes then the last

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I feel like the "more antagonists" thing will be fleshed out better as they release the major updates - right now the game is kind of divided into two major conflicts - empire vs. chaos (and vampires technically, but honestly vampires don't seem to do a whole lot under the AI), and dwarfs vs. greenskins. There isn't really much overlap between the factions just because of how the map is laid out - dwarfs buffer against greenskins so as Empire you'll rarely see them, ditto with Dwarfs and chaos. With more factions there will be more opportunities to border more than one race at a time, especially if it's something like Skaven who live right in the middle of Empire and Dwarf territory.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

SickZip posted:

Variety will come as they expand the game, but I'd like faction specific threats. For instance, if your dwarf or human them at turn 150 there's a global waagh where orc stacks spawn in the east and all greenskin AI get an income boost, no upkeep for awhile, and increased agression

That's a good idea and it would be a lot of fun too. I almost never get to fight orcs in my empire campaigns because the minor factions get wiped out in like 10 turns and the main one is too far away. Similarly, I've always kind of wished that vampire rebellions felt more dangerous. I'd like it if, when there's enough vampiric influence, instead of one stack you have three or four pop up. It'd be nice if they didn't raze settlements too.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Yeah, I'm the same boat in regards to not playing around whenever I think there'll be a new DLC out. I think they've actually gotten a lot better about patches completely breaking saves but it's easier to not have to think or worry about it when there's other stuff to do anyway.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

and vampires technically, but honestly vampires don't seem to do a whole lot under the AI

I think their main problem is that they very quickly fill out their stacks with raise dead trash. That makes them very swingy since if they're in a province with a good raise dead pool they can become way better than they should be but usually it just means their stacks are light on real threats and you can just snipe the lord and watch everything crumble. They also have somewhat complicated building chain requirements which, while the AI knows what to build, it won't always have slot access as easily since AI Mannfred doesn't always destroy the other AI vampires in order to actually get a full province.

As somebody already said, they become a lot better if you mod their building requirements down so they don't need multiple slots at certain upgrade levels just to get good monsters or grave guard. Those requirements are fine for a player but not for an AI.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
In my current Empire game I have Karl Franz and Friends rolling around the southern Badlands now desperately hoping to find some actual Greenskins to fight so that he can wield Ghal Maraz, so far there are pockets of Teef Snatchaz (savage orcs don't count for quest progress) and a fuckoff huge sea of Dwarfen blue.

Also the Dwarfs canceled most of our treaties 5 turns before Karl departed the Empire in search of Orcs, so he's racking up trespassing penalties this whole goddamn time.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Honestly, that mod that reduces unit requirements/buildings by one tier seems like a pretty swell idea in terms of getting the AI and the player to fool around with the cool stuff. And a good way to fix the armies of low level trash.

I've played two Dwarf campaigns to completion and I've never seen Trollhammers, Irondrakes or the Gyrobomber.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Trujillo posted:

I guess I'm the aberrant because I've gotten to the end of the shogun 2 campaigns with almost every faction, same with this game. Just haven't done dwarves or greenskins because I'm also waiting for a grim and the grave style DLC for them. I think if there were harder or multiple end time events that you had to deal with it might make the late game more interesting. The first time you deal with the chaos invasion it can be difficult because you don't know what to expect. If they added more randomness that you can't prepare for and made it fun to deal with I think that would go a long way.

I normally never finish campaigns but in Warhammer I've cleared it with every race already.

As for teasers, CA is apparently streaming existing content this week, so that's a pretty good sign we won't get anything until next week at the earliest. I'll put my money down for trailer next Thursday for end of October release, personally.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

LonsomeSon posted:

In my current Empire game I have Karl Franz and Friends rolling around the southern Badlands now desperately hoping to find some actual Greenskins to fight so that he can wield Ghal Maraz, so far there are pockets of Teef Snatchaz (savage orcs don't count for quest progress) and a fuckoff huge sea of Dwarfen blue.

Also the Dwarfs canceled most of our treaties 5 turns before Karl departed the Empire in search of Orcs, so he's racking up trespassing penalties this whole goddamn time.

if you can start a rebellion in a dwarf province, the rebel orc stacks count, sounds like you might as well do that if the dwarfs are pissed

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Most of the stuff you guys are asking for was in medieval two's kingdoms expansions. Stuff like Wallace's rebellion or Richard the lionheart's arrival in the Holy Land were cool events to keep the campaigns interesting.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
I want a Caesar in Gaul campaign for the dwarves & greenskin factions or empire & VC. Really open up the campaign map, make cities more than a turn of movement away from each other, and have the AI pose a legitimate threat.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

The Cheshire Cat posted:

(and vampires technically, but honestly vampires don't seem to do a whole lot under the AI)

My current VH empire game I have only expanded west, and the vampires are now my neighbors, there is some AI rng elements and the vampires can kick rear end. The AI really does need some kind of cheat for building requirements though to give them cooler units.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Decus posted:

Yeah, I'm the same boat in regards to not playing around whenever I think there'll be a new DLC out. I think they've actually gotten a lot better about patches completely breaking saves but it's easier to not have to think or worry about it when there's other stuff to do anyway.

I think their main problem is that they very quickly fill out their stacks with raise dead trash. That makes them very swingy since if they're in a province with a good raise dead pool they can become way better than they should be but usually it just means their stacks are light on real threats and you can just snipe the lord and watch everything crumble. They also have somewhat complicated building chain requirements which, while the AI knows what to build, it won't always have slot access as easily since AI Mannfred doesn't always destroy the other AI vampires in order to actually get a full province.

As somebody already said, they become a lot better if you mod their building requirements down so they don't need multiple slots at certain upgrade levels just to get good monsters or grave guard. Those requirements are fine for a player but not for an AI.

Adding a mod that makes AI take more attrition, but not full, actually does a lot to keep AI Vamps in the game. In two games I've seen Mousillon stay a decently large faction through to about turn 100, before I started crushing them. It doesn't help the actual VC faction quite as much because they have to march a bit further into Stirland to take territory, but they don't fold quite as quickly anymore either.

Fluffy Tail
Jan 3, 2012

"I am the beginning and the end. The alpha and the omega. The first and the last."

Chaos Dunk

LonsomeSon posted:

If you find an orc settlement you can just sack it five times. Sack then rest up, then sack again the next turn. Not the most fun, but it gets the quest done. It's a bit of a shame that there aren't more northern orcs to fight.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Fluffy Tail posted:

If you find an orc settlement you can just sack it five times. Sack then rest up, then sack again the next turn. Not the most fun, but it gets the quest done. It's a bit of a shame that there aren't more northern orcs to fight.

I wonder if giving the minor western orcs a garrison building in their home region might help them be a bit more of a factor. As in, the send their starting stack out to bust some heads, but then immediately lose their only region to their other neighbors. I mean, I regularly see empire secessionists wipe out the tribe near their starting location!

Meanwhile, their dwarf rivals all start controlling the capital of their home provinces, meaning if they lose the initial rumble vs the skull busters or whoever, their walls still ensure they survive.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

The Secessionists never have seemed like a credible threat either. In the majority of Empire campaigns I've started their biggest army immediately runs off to try and siege some Dwarf Hold on the southern borders of Altdorf. I'm not asking for them to siege me instead, but I would at least like them to acknowledge me capturing their cities.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 3, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Most of the stuff you guys are asking for was in medieval two's kingdoms expansions. Stuff like Wallace's rebellion or Richard the lionheart's arrival in the Holy Land were cool events to keep the campaigns interesting.

Yep, and Medieval 2 is generally my favorite Total War ever :) How about that.

One new campaign per expansion isn't enough though. Having a bunch of DLC is better, but honestly I think they're getting a little lazy. They make each total war game using the last game's engine and progress. They did a great job of the art and the various factions, but more campaign options would really go a long long way to fleshing out the Total War package. Just having grand campaign + skirmishes feels... light.

I will say that Total Warhammer only letting you capture certain factions' lands is a really interesting change that at first I kinda disliked but its grown on me a ton, it helps focus a bit. Still find myself starting a new campaign once I get so many turns into one rather than try to finish it, though. Its just more fun to start off.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Trujillo posted:

That's not that crazy. Most games, I've done total world domination before end date at least once. I wouldn't do that with each faction, but I've done it a lot.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Really victory in Warhammer is a lot easier than most previous Total Wars. The victory conditions are much more straightforward, and alliances count for victory.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Jamwad Hilder posted:

if you can start a rebellion in a dwarf province, the rebel orc stacks count, sounds like you might as well do that if the dwarfs are pissed

Actually it turns out that if the Greenskins and all their minor factions are completely wiped out, you just have to deploy a wizard in a province and then do the battle.

revolther
May 27, 2008
What are the chances they'll release a few races bundled eventually? Kinda don't want to drop an additional hundred dollars to feel like I have the whole game.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

revolther posted:

What are the chances they'll release a few races bundled eventually? Kinda don't want to drop an additional hundred dollars to feel like I have the whole game.

I don't know if they'll do a discount pack or anything, but the TW series often goes on sale during the big Steam sales so you can probably pick up the DLC then.

Bear in mind that you only need to buy the DLC to PLAY as the races. They will always be present in the campaign regardless of whether you own the DLC.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
At most they tend to put their newest game's DLC at something like -15% and not the newest ones. Then it'll go to -33% next year for the oldest ones. Or, more accurately, the ones that are trailing off in sales the most since that's the only reason to ever reduce the price.

You'll be waiting a while for a good DLC sale, but I'd say that packs are entirely possible and would be very smart on their part after clear "sets" of DLC have started to trail off in sales. Like, I don't see them instantly putting up "Beastmen, Wood Elves and a unit pack for both of them all together!" but a year out it would make sense as a thing.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

LonsomeSon posted:

edit: whatever drat meme won't load anyway.

My current universal empire strat that satisfies my love of building tall and strong dwarfen allies is:

1) Wipe out secessionists by turn 5
2) Shift everything to growth and walls, fill out Karl's stack,
3) The Beastmen will show up around now, kill them and try to NAP and trade deal your neighbors. Upgrade altdorf every chance you get
4) Once walls are up in every city beeline straight to the badlands, get military access if you can but don't sweat it if you can't
5)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gCgluVD0Aw

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 4, 2016

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Okay who the gently caress decided that being able to enter forced march after sacking a town was a good idea.

actually forced march in general is a pain in the dick and makes things more annoying for me way more than its useful. At least put a attrition modifier on it so i dont have armys forever marching around my backwoods until my witchhunters can get allllll the way from the frontier to deal with them.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Agean90 posted:

Okay who the gently caress decided that being able to enter forced march after sacking a town was a good idea.

actually forced march in general is a pain in the dick and makes things more annoying for me way more than its useful. At least put a attrition modifier on it so i dont have armys forever marching around my backwoods until my witchhunters can get allllll the way from the frontier to deal with them.

Attrition on forced march would certainly help a lot to making it less of a pain in the rear end. Plus it does make sense that if you're pushing an army to the point of exhaustion for months at a time, some of them are just going to drop dead.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Mods to remove/change forced march are close to the top of my list of quality of life improvements.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

RentACop posted:

edit: whatever drat meme won't load anyway.

You gotta wait a bit before trying to link an upload from imgur now because they made their site faster and better and that means more waiting time

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Attrition on forced march would certainly help a lot to making it less of a pain in the rear end. Plus it does make sense that if you're pushing an army to the point of exhaustion for months at a time, some of them are just going to drop dead.

yeah i swear they did that in one game and it worked pretty well.

too bad the attrition would only kill like 3 ai dudes lol. brb getting an attrition fix because the more i think about it the more annoyed it get

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Agean90 posted:

yeah i swear they did that in one game and it worked pretty well.

too bad the attrition would only kill like 3 ai dudes lol. brb getting an attrition fix because the more i think about it the more annoyed it get

Hasn't been in any base game that I'm aware of the mechanic has only really existed since Rome II.

Personally don't really care to remove it, I force march my units pretty much all the time.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I wish there were more symbols for dwarf infantry. Everything's just got an axe above it.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Tried installing the steel faith overhaul, went vampire with the necro dude since Manfred is an easy unlock... Mistake.

They put a loving gatehouse on the third town in eastern sylvania and it's a loving bitch to get through. Plus the other faction can build a full army of ghouls from the get go. Then when I finally managed to overcome that challenge a beast horde spawns and a half stack of those dudes absolutely crush my skeletons :(

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Nanomashoes posted:

I wish there were more symbols for dwarf infantry. Everything's just got an axe above it.

I'm not seeing a problem

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
Dwarf longbeards should just be a beard icon.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

dogstile posted:

I'm not seeing a problem

There's so many different kinds of axes...

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
I know it's not fitting for this type of game, but man I wish that they had supply routes, etc, in this game. More logistics than just $$ to represent how a military campaign is more than just wandering around. I get that the risk map is just there to add some color to the battles but a man can dream.

Probably the sort of thing that goes beyond what is moddable.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Got a new desktop and man this game is pretty when it runs smoothly

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

fnordcircle posted:

I know it's not fitting for this type of game, but man I wish that they had supply routes, etc, in this game. More logistics than just $$ to represent how a military campaign is more than just wandering around. I get that the risk map is just there to add some color to the battles but a man can dream.

Probably the sort of thing that goes beyond what is moddable.

That kind of thing makes more sense in a historical TW game. It would also not work if the AI was held to the same rules. It essentially can't provide a meaningful challenge as it is.

Has ANYONE had the AI invade and conquer their territory past turn 20?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Yes.

loving border princes

• Locked thread