Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Tis the season for Mythos recommendations.

-----

Mike Minnis

The exceptional modern Mythos writer whom time forgot.

Sometime in the late 90s, a German gentleman by the name of Mike Minnis took pen to paper. What flowed was a heady distillate of cosmic horror in the architecture of a fictional craftsman. He published 40-odd short stories hither and yon about the burgeoning internet, mostly at small congregations of weird fiction devotees with names like “thousandyoung.net”, “netherreal.de” and “nightscapes”.

Unfortunately the internet does what it is wont to do. These sites collapsed and disappeared somewhere in the mid 2000s. I had searched for them a decade ago, and could not find hide nor hair. I read a rumor that Minnis was a casualty of the Iraq war (untrue). Perhaps there was a conspiracy against the Lovecraftian sites then? Well no, unless you consider the economics of the dot-com bust a Majestic 12 invention.

However we all know the dread couplet. That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons, even death may die.

I found a post on good old Ligotti's forums. Thanks to those fans of weird fiction and the Internet Wayback Machine I was able to recover the full text of ten of his stories. I have copied them to pdf, and for the sake of convenience I have posted them to a file sharing service for download. As a disclaimer, I am not benefiting financially from this in any way. I have simply consolidated the pdfs so that more fans of weird fiction can discover and enjoy this great author’s work.

Let Him Rise

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/t6792v35951vg/Mike_Minnis_Wayback_Machine_Archive

What will you encounter therein? A range of times and fictional voices fitting the pervasive scope of Lovecraft's Mythos. I Walk the World's Black Rim is a Beowulf retelling. Knuckerhole a story of England during the blitz and good neighbors. After all, the Whateley came from somewhere. Bones of a Toad brings the harshness of Medieval life to the center stage.

One caveat friend, as I stay thy hand from the dread tome: read Shadow Over Innsmouth, The Dunwitch Horror and The Thing on the Doorstep first. Necessary? No, but enlightening along the path in the dark.

If you like Mike Minnis' work, just give the man $2 for the kindle edition of Your Poisoned Dreams, a collection of ten Mythos short stories. At that price it is an absurd steal. Right now it's even cheaper than that because of an Amazon sale.

https://www.amazon.com/Your-Poisoned-Dreams-Horror-Stories-ebook/dp/B00JPBN0DO

When I posted the above in GBS here was a response:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3789225&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=9#post464049722

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

Thanks for this. "I walk the world's black rim "loving ruled. I don't think the spoiler is really a spoiler since its what actually pushed me to read it. Awesome stuff.
The question of who is the true monster, I'm spoiling now : I walk the black rim is a retelling of beowulf, is a similar question raised in John Gardners 1984 Grendel. It's a first person, very contemporary take on beowulf from grendels perspective and while not horror, I highly recommend
I also wanna reiterate, dumbass Mike is literally only earning 69 cents per purchase on that kindle collection cause the mother fucker is selling below the 70% 2.99 threshold

Enjoy, dear reader.

And if you like it, for the love of the Old Ones leave an Amazon review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

On paper: if I was going to print out books (whose PDFs I legally own from DTRPG) so that I can have a dead-tree version, what should I be looking for in terms of paper quality? I know there's things like GSM and substance, what should I be aiming for?

In my experience its usually just cheaper to just buy the book.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Doorknob Slobber posted:

In my experience its usually just cheaper to just buy the book.
Your experience might be different if you lived in the Philippines.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

P.d0t posted:

Alright, so I have a draft of the rules for The Next Project done up well enough that I want to share it for critique.
Here's a link to the document.

If there's anything that is unclearly worded or could be rearranged, feel free to mark up the doc and leave comments.

I'll try and get some sample characters ready in the next couple days, for anyone who needs that missing context.

Crossposted from the games-writing workshop thread.

:ohdear:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Helical Nightmares posted:

Tis the season for Mythos recommendations.

Good timing! I was going to post a Halloween recommendation thread when I got home, now you have a space for these. :getin:

All Hallows' Eve Game Recommendation Station

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwXU1ZMQ7DQ

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

So I hear tell that there is a TG related Discord chatroom in which goons hang out. Could someone be so kind as to share a link?

I don't know if anyone's set one up, but I've been thinking of setting one up. There's a couple IRC channels, but those are pretty treehouse-y and it's 2016 and we can do better.

So! SA Trad Games Discord: https://discord.gg/TNY7w Very bare-bones right now, if we get enough interest I'll flesh it out. Discord link will last for a day.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a dice-roller bot thingy for Discord?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Man I wish there was a Dragon Quest like TRPG. Like have the whimsy of Ryuutama but with a solid combat and job classes thst has stuff like shepherd and sailor and taming monsters. DQ7 is really pween.

E: Also several slime subspecies.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm not sure! There's a ton of bots, but I'm not sure which ones have dice rolling functionality or how much (just d6s, just common dice, special system dice, so on). I'll look at it soon if this catches on.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arivia posted:

I don't know if anyone's set one up, but I've been thinking of setting one up. There's a couple IRC channels, but those are pretty treehouse-y and it's 2016 and we can do better.

So! SA Trad Games Discord: https://discord.gg/TNY7w Very bare-bones right now, if we get enough interest I'll flesh it out. Discord link will last for a day.

Double-posting because I forgot to mention something important. If you don't know what Discord is, it's basically a contemporary chatroom/voice chat service designed for gaming in 2016, so it doesn't have a lot of the cruft and poo poo that exists with IRC. Notably, it has mobile, web, and desktop clients and runs well on all of them, instead of Mibbit's mess. You can also join and chat without registering for Discord at all; just click on that link to join the web server and you can register later if you want to.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Man I wish there was a Dragon Quest like TRPG. Like have the whimsy of Ryuutama but with a solid combat and job classes thst has stuff like shepherd and sailor and taming monsters. DQ7 is really pween.

E: Also several slime subspecies.

I ... think there is a rogue-like that is approaching this as a goal? Let me check.

Edit: there is!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3563643&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=448#post464799776

Edit 2: vvvvv Oh. Yeah no idea.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 3, 2016

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Helical Nightmares posted:

I ... think there is a rogue-like that is approaching this as a goal? Let me check.

I meant tabletop RPG!

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Wasn't there something called Meikyuu Kingdom which was kind of like that?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

gradenko_2000 posted:

To be absolutely clear, I'm not talking about a printing service, I'm asking about what paper I should get if I'm going to print on my own paper and using my own printer. I don't even live in the States.

I have literal binders of Traveller material printed out on regular laser printed paper and it's worked fine so far. If it's something you want to travel or have bound I'd look into getting mid or heavyweight paper.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
What type of binding would you recommend?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah the rule of thumb with personal printing is to use heavier/thicker paper for things you expect to see a lot of use. Avoid high gloss if it's text heavy, that's only good for photographs, otherwise the sheen can make it hard to read.

For reference materials a simple 3 ring binder works great.

Edit: if you have the time and patience (or the equipment to automate) a spiral or wire binding is also a good choice. Don't use comb or glue binding, they're too much work and wear out too easily under tabletop use.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 3, 2016

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Binders are the best option for books but prefer the metal rings on their own for adventures and the like. You can print out your adventure, punch it, pop a ring or three in and it will lay flat in any configuration.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

potatocubed posted:

Wasn't there something called Meikyuu Kingdom which was kind of like that?

!!! Yeah! That one. Was it ever translated from JP?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

paradoxGentleman posted:

So I hear tell that there is a TG related Discord chatroom in which goons hang out. Could someone be so kind as to share a link?
There's one where a lot of board gamers hang out, I'll provide a link tonight.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

!!! Yeah! That one. Was it ever translated from JP?

There's an unofficial text-only :filez: version kicking around the internet, but I don't think it ever saw an official translation and release (booo).

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://www.carbonitex.net/discord/bots

I've used the RoboNitori bot, it's solidly functional.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

potatocubed posted:

There's an unofficial text-only :filez: version kicking around the internet, but I don't think it ever saw an official translation and release (booo).

That's because apparently at least one of the original Japanese creators stonewalls any attempts at English localization, and the way their IP laws work it only takes one to screw a deal.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Kwyndig posted:

That's because apparently at least one of the original Japanese creators stonewalls any attempts at English localization, and the way their IP laws work it only takes one to screw a deal.

Does anyone know the story behind this, or is it just a case of creator X not returning emails?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Just like ZUN...

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

How can I encourage other players in a game to roleplay more? I joined an in-person game for the first time in years, but nobody else seems to be interested in the roleplay part, and the GM isn't doing much to encourage it.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Sounds like you need something more fundamental like an icebreaker first. If these are strangers.

Other than that, to encourage roleplaying you could start by asking questions. Investigation type questions. Questions about the game world to the GM (should get any GM worth his salt very happy and excited). General questions to the group that follow up on what the GM said; "GM said that Bilbo the foolish left the shire. My family was happy to see him go because they wanted his hobbit hole. But we got stuck in probate. How about you?"

Or questions about the enemies you are killing. "What type of armor does the brigand have?" "Does this mean that they are recent army deserters or have they been doing this for some time, etc."

Then again some people JUST want to roll them dice.

report back so we can make fun of y--I mean see if the suggestions have any merit

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Watching someone trying to "get" PbtA games and asking things like "wait, I can't start with an established setting att all?" or "but why do I have to follow the Agenda?" is oddly depressing in a way I can't really articulate.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Sounds like your GM isn't wearing his mask. Have you tried starting with fixing that?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Evil Mastermind posted:

Watching someone trying to "get" PbtA games and asking things like "wait, I can't start with an established setting att all?" or "but why do I have to follow the Agenda?" is oddly depressing in a way I can't really articulate.
That would actually be pretty helpful if you could articulate it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

grassy gnoll posted:

Sounds like your GM isn't wearing his mask. Have you tried starting with fixing that?
No, this is a guy on RPGNet. I don't actually get to play games anymore, I just run them.

Rockopolis posted:

That would actually be pretty helpful if you could articulate it.
Really, the best response I can come up with for the second question is "because that's how the game works. Why wouldn't want to follow the Agenda?"

Like, regardless of which game you're talking about, the Agenda pretty much boils down to "make the setting feel real, present the players with interesting situations for them to deal with, and don't preplan what you want to have happen." What's gained by not doing that?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

How can I encourage other players in a game to roleplay more? I joined an in-person game for the first time in years, but nobody else seems to be interested in the roleplay part, and the GM isn't doing much to encourage it.

Brain: Do not say "Threaten them with a gun".
Me: What about you threaten them with a knife, or maybe a pickaxe?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Evil Mastermind posted:

Really, the best response I can come up with for the second question is "because that's how the game works. Why wouldn't want to follow the Agenda?"

Like, regardless of which game you're talking about, the Agenda pretty much boils down to "make the setting feel real, present the players with interesting situations for them to deal with, and don't preplan what you want to have happen." What's gained by not doing that?

There's a weird amount of dms who love to write fantasy world rube Goldberg machines that fall apart if you don't kiss the right nun or whatever, but then get mad when any game tries to give the players and dms any kind of direction and guidance.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ominous Jazz posted:

There's a weird amount of dms who love to write fantasy world rube Goldberg machines that fall apart if you don't kiss the right nun or whatever,
I blame old 90's metaplot-heavy RPGs.

I'm currently pre-writing a F&F of one of my most hated metaplot adventures ever (trying to get the whole thing written before I start posting since I'm already behind on two other readthroughs) and there is literally no point in any of it where the players get to make a meaningful choice. On top of that, they get to watch the major setting NPCs do everything for the first 2/3 of the adventure.

quote:

but then get mad when any game tries to give the players and dms any kind of direction and guidance.
I've seen people get mad about PbtA's GM Agenda, Principles, and Moves because "how DARE they tell me how to run my games! I've been doing this for X years!"

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Watching someone trying to "get" PbtA games and asking things like "wait, I can't start with an established setting att all?"
This makes plenty of sense to me and I can't imagine why it would be depressing. I like having a setting I can sit down and read about. I like it because then I can get a sense for what is, has, and could be happening in that world. I can get a feel for the kind of characters that might exist in that world and would be fun for me to play. I can give them realistic goals and motivations and personalities, and possibly give them ties to other existing characters/groups. When I make a character for a game, I want that character to feel like a part of the world, but I also don't want to have to create an entire bloody ecosystem at the same time just to accomplish that. It's not fun for me to have an entirely blank slate or even a bare skeleton that I have to start making blanket statements about just to have a direction to go in, because at that point I'm not playing a game; I'm making a setting whole-cloth in a very cumbersome manner, and if I want to do that I can just do that in a much more complete manner without a system telling me I have to.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Yawgmoth posted:

When I make a character for a game, I want that character to feel like a part of the world, but I also don't want to have to create an entire bloody ecosystem at the same time just to accomplish that. It's not fun for me to have an entirely blank slate or even a bare skeleton that I have to start making blanket statements about just to have a direction to go in, because at that point I'm not playing a game; I'm making a setting whole-cloth in a very cumbersome manner, and if I want to do that I can just do that in a much more complete manner without a system telling me I have to.

Yeah, I can relate to this. Some DMs enjoy taking the responsibility for the story and setting, and some players are more than willing to pass it off to someone else.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

My issue isn't that the person in question wants to use a prescribed setting with a PbtA game. What's bugging me is that the person is having trouble wrapping their head around the idea that it's possible to play a game without everything defined up-front.

Dec 26, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's very dependent on the GM and group. A lot of groups and players really don't want to stretch that hard mentally and just want to kill orcs and whatever and that's completely fine but it's important to know what you're getting into.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Evil Mastermind posted:

I blame old 90's metaplot-heavy RPGs.

I'm currently pre-writing a F&F of one of my most hated metaplot adventures ever (trying to get the whole thing written before I start posting since I'm already behind on two other readthroughs) and there is literally no point in any of it where the players get to make a meaningful choice. On top of that, they get to watch the major setting NPCs do everything for the first 2/3 of the adventure.

I remember having to summarize that adventure for Planescape 3.5. Which meant I had to read it. Ugh.

Yes, I already know which one you mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yes, I already know which one you mean.
It's not a Torg adventure.

I'd say it's one that's debateably worse than War's End.

• Locked thread