Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Len posted:

I'll give that a check when I get home then. My favorite part of miniatures was always the building parts. Putting them together, making a thing to play on, and stuff like that. I'm not big on the actual painting side of things but this feels like the proper thread for homemade rough terrain. If you guys don't want me to poo poo it up I won't post things though.

There is a terrain making thread that might be of interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Len posted:

I'll give that a check when I get home then. My favorite part of miniatures was always the building parts. Putting them together, making a thing to play on, and stuff like that. I'm not big on the actual painting side of things but this feels like the proper thread for homemade rough terrain. If you guys don't want me to poo poo it up I won't post things though.

You're not making GBS threads it up. This thread is primarily for poasting awful things like poorly green stuffed breasts on pony space marines. While your terrain isn't award winning, it's perfectly serviceable and I don't think you'd want to be lumped in with what normally goes here.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Cat Face Joe posted:

You're not making GBS threads it up. This thread is primarily for poasting awful things like poorly green stuffed breasts on pony space marines. While your terrain isn't award winning, it's perfectly serviceable and I don't think you'd want to be lumped in with what normally goes here.

If you are arguing that his efforts are too respectable for this thread, then technically he is making GBS threads it up by not posting something terrible enough to be here.

Maybe next time include My Little Ponies to lower the level?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Len posted:

It's pretty rough but I'm trying to dip my toes back into the miniature hobby. Here's my first attempt at making some terrain.

http://imgur.com/a/O1fyU

Long term I'd like to build a Frostgrave table and talk my friends into playing a campaign.

I want a whole board like this

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I don't, but my first game of hams was played with instaramen bowl buildings, so I understand thebwish to make things on the cheap.

I guess you'll eventually find some papercraft crazies who'll give tutorials on how to spend 5 hours making each tree.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Len posted:

It's pretty rough but I'm trying to dip my toes back into the miniature hobby. Here's my first attempt at making some terrain.

http://imgur.com/a/O1fyU

Long term I'd like to build a Frostgrave table and talk my friends into playing a campaign.

It looks like Runescape.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Moola posted:

Honestly, its very good for wargaming. Very clean defined lines, well represented water for difficult terrain, an acceptable amount of cover but space for larger units. There's nothing to complain about here.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah, that's about the level of quality you get from mass-produced prepaints. I'm not surprised except for how terrible the sculpt is.

Yeah, if you look at like, Mage Knight miniatures, the paint jobs are preeeeeeetty awful. Because its sweatshop labor painting in a hurry.

Ugleb posted:

People actually buy this over unpainted? Holy crap.

As ugly as it is, it looks better than a field of solid grey plastic. From a distance it looks much more reasonable, and you can always paint over it again if you want.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ugleb posted:

There is a terrain making thread that might be of interest.

And go into a thread with quality things? That will ruin my self esteem. I want to at least try a few more things before I venture into a real thread.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, if you look at like, Mage Knight miniatures, the paint jobs are preeeeeeetty awful. Because its sweatshop labor painting in a hurry.

My wife always plays the blood sorcerer lady and gets pissed off because it's like someone applied her makeup with the makeup shotgun from the simpsons. She's wanting to learn how to paint models just so she can fix it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Len posted:

And go into a thread with quality things? That will ruin my self esteem. I want to at least try a few more things before I venture into a real thread.

You'll honestly get better feedback and get pointed in the right direction if you go into a thread made for painting than going into the thread where we laugh at the depths of eBay and Dakka project logs.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Len posted:

Point taken, but you will probably get some sound advice on making stuff for next to nothing from scratch. Its like when I compare what I painted this month next to some of the gods that post to the oath thread. Times like that I know I wont be getting judges points!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Len posted:

You want to practice painting well, not practice painting poorly.

Don't worry; there's TONS of lovely painters in the painting thread :)

I used to suck at painting but honestly if you learn a few tricks and the right approach it makes your stuff look 1,000x better. I'm not winning any golden demon awards or anything, but I'm happy with my dudes now, where the guys I painted when I was younger were just embarassingly ugly.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

My wife always plays the blood sorcerer lady and gets pissed off because it's like someone applied her makeup with the makeup shotgun from the simpsons. She's wanting to learn how to paint models just so she can fix it.

So the story has a happy ending!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Moola posted:

:same: I am not creative enough to have figured that style on my own but that's pretty amazing. It certainly matches the more cartoony and clean style of cel shading I paint on my minis! You can probably put some manga/comic screentones to give it more depth.

E: there's gotta be some papercraft style that's already been around for stuff like this. You can probably make some simple bushes by folding green paper in odd ways to make it stand.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
About maybe twelve or thirteen years ago a guy I knew did a really impressive board for a game store (that has now since closed, RIP) that commissioned him that was entirely made of cardboard. He built everything out of super simple shapes and polygons and then painted it black with bright blue, red or white lines along the edges TRON/vector graphics style. Very cheap, very effective and evocative and also very unique and eye catching.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

from kickended.com a.k.a. broken dreams of $0 pledged kickstarters

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

0 backers is actually quite impressive.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Len posted:

Seriously, my first terrain pieces were made of just cardboard, painter's tape and straws. The terrain thread is chill AF and we'll happily give you ideas of how to make more terrain on the cheap, and then how to gradually make it more detailed as you get your feet wet. So don't be scared. :)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

El Estrago Bonito posted:

About maybe twelve or thirteen years ago a guy I knew did a really impressive board for a game store (that has now since closed, RIP) that commissioned him that was entirely made of cardboard. He built everything out of super simple shapes and polygons and then painted it black with bright blue, red or white lines along the edges TRON/vector graphics style. Very cheap, very effective and evocative and also very unique and eye catching.

That's basically how they did the wireframe New York in Escape From New York.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Improbable Lobster posted:

That's basically how they did the wireframe New York in Escape From New York.

This is actually what inspired him to build that. Unfortunately stuff like glow in the dark paints, EL wire, and piped lighting were still really expensive and not widely available back in like 2003. Although it probably would have looked good under a blacklight.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

This is actually what inspired him to build that. Unfortunately stuff like glow in the dark paints, EL wire, and piped lighting were still really expensive and not widely available back in like 2003. Although it probably would have looked good under a blacklight.

With nerds visiting the store? Yeah uh, probably really interesting results there :stare:

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Slimnoid posted:

With nerds visiting the store? Yeah uh, probably really interesting results there :stare:

Please be referring to cheeto stains from touching the models, not something else touching the models.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

What are you afraid of, it's just hot glue :v:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Reminder that r/cumonfigurines was a thing :wink:

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/wspPu Screenshots of posts from that subreddit.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
Came across this while browsing ebay for cheap Circle Orobos figs:

Note the square bases and the interesting application of textured paint onto things like weapons. 2/3 of a sentry stone unit. Also what looks to be a Woldwyrd glued directly to the base.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

lokipunk posted:

Note the square bases and the interesting application of textured paint onto things like weapons. 2/3 of a sentry stone unit. Also what looks to be a Woldwyrd glued directly to the base.

Thankfully all in metal, so after a swim in chloroform they'll be as good as new!

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

lokipunk posted:

This actually seems mostly fine? Like, it's clearly unfinished - there are unpainted models and some half painted ones - and it's not great, but I'd be happy to play against these any day. It just seems like a basic paint job to me :shrug:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Cat-dick pattern chainsword is back!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I'm the very cute skull on his hat

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

The baby is teething

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
i'm not one to make fun of someone who can't paint, but it amuses me that this went into a light box and got multiple camera angles

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

makes me hungry for fondue

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Seriously? I know it's played out, but come on. Wrong thread.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I love this.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

It's a classic.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

Seriously? I know it's played out, but come on. Wrong thread.

This thread became best of the worst of the best and the best on like page 2.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
NOT ORK

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

The best painting advice.

This is the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU