Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

She follows it all the way in and Basil is there, sitting on a couch sipping tea and reading Chaucer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Rip annie

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I knew it, should have sent Kat to check out the Arrow. When you have a thing that works mechanically (they knew: Diego built it) and acts dangerously on the ether (they knew: keeps Jeanne's ghost trapped here somehow), do you approach it with the expert on Diego's mechanics or the etheric half of the magic expert? Shoulda built a grabby arm or something.

(Of course, if I'm reduced to shouting "I told you so" at characters in a story, that story is obviously doing a number on me. GC is amazing, this current arc is better and more intriguing than I could have expected, I'm eagerly awaiting midnight every other day recently.)

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Oct 3, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sure you could send Kat, but she's completely insensitive to the ether. You need Annie to see all this spooky stuff.

Kat'll go and report 'Its just a skeleton taking a nap'

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Boy, if only we brought some sort of etheric being who's really, really good at solving puzzles...

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i suspect that it'd be worse for a more etheric being. dead elf bf is a creature of the forest. i'm thinking the innards of the arrow deliberately resemble some sort of labyrinth or puzzle machine or something but the actual answer is to chop that gordian knot in two some way

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I was about to say. Annie, you're a fire spirit. Blow poo poo up.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Concerned face if ever I saw one.

(Pretty sure this is also legal as a forum avatar if someone wants to snag it)

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
So basically Annie is stuck playing Myst III: Exile Nemesis.

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah
The arrow equivalent of the hellraiser puzzle box

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
If you'd just done your homework Annie this wouldn't be such a big issue

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The sheer idiocy of going for the arrow as Ether Annie as opposed to with Kat in a diving suit or even just Renard as himself is unfathomable, especially given the flashback we just had to Kat figuring out a Plan B. It is requiring a lot of suspension of disbelief to follow this arc.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Most horror films strike out on the "let's open with the worst possible plan" and this arc is batting air at this pitch hard right now. Two strikes, three balls. Level out and stick to the characters, guy.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Source you're quotes.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Should have spent these years studying, Annie.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Queue flashback to holdback year classes

"Think Annie, what am I learning through character and hard work through this retake?

That I am a giant idiot. Welp. I hate my dad."

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Potato Salad posted:

The sheer idiocy of going for the arrow as Ether Annie as opposed to with Kat in a diving suit or even just Renard as himself is unfathomable, especially given the flashback we just had to Kat figuring out a Plan B. It is requiring a lot of suspension of disbelief to follow this arc.

It seems the best option in terms of "not actually drowning" and "having a physical presence to return to".

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The Coward Heart

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Potato Salad posted:

While I agree it seems dumb at this point, I'm pretty sure there are parts of the plan we don't know yet as an audience.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Welp, I guess we're about to see what's up with plan B. Not before we get another fire elemental page though. It moves, but she hasn't tried to burn it with fire yet.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tenebrais posted:

It seems the best option in terms of "not actually drowning" and "having a physical presence to return to".

What about a grabbing it with a drone?

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Honestly it seems like a bit of a leap to assume anybody without an aetheric presence would be able to meaningfully interact with the arrow at all, let alone do whatever Annie needs to do to fix this Jeanne problem.

On the other hand they probably could have just sent Basil, seeing as he's immune to Maze.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Opposing Farce posted:

On the other hand they probably could have just sent Basil, seeing as he's immune to Maze.

But didn't Annie make a point of saying the labyrinth wasn't actually a maze? Basil would get lost in one just like anyone else.

and no sir, he wouldn't like it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Unless there is no exit I can't see why the left wall trick wouldn't work. Maybe if large sections weren't connected to a boundary wall but I think you could just circumvent them then

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I'm not sure if hug the left wall works in M.C. Escer-space.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

GodFish posted:

I'm not sure if hug the left wall works in M.C. Escer-space.

Your third left your stupid trout!

Sheogorath
Mar 29, 2007

I thought that the maze was designed to exploit the forest-folk's ability to see patterns. Like if Diego built a system where it was entirely constructed from 'almost-correct' patterns than the elf couldn't get out of it because he'd be stuck trying to make sense of it all. Its sorta like that feeling you get when you are about to fall asleep and are thinking about the next day but you are actually thinking in a completely non-ordered way and just churning non-productively.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Sheogorath posted:

I thought that the maze was designed to exploit the forest-folk's ability to see patterns. Like if Diego built a system where it was entirely constructed from 'almost-correct' patterns than the elf couldn't get out of it because he'd be stuck trying to make sense of it all. Its sorta like that feeling you get when you are about to fall asleep and are thinking about the next day but you are actually thinking in a completely non-ordered way and just churning non-productively.

Being trapped eternally because you keep falling for 'almost-correct' pattern sounds more like a fever dream where your brain has unilaterally decided that you will feel better if only you solve this one REALLY IMPORTANT problem, only you can't because you have a fever and everything is jumbled and churning endlessly.

I hope everyone gets to wake up soon :ohdear:

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

The left wall trick also doesn't work if the walls move!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

she gonna grow her etherhair back and use it like a theseus thread

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

EmmyOk posted:

Unless there is no exit I can't see why the left wall trick wouldn't work. Maybe if large sections weren't connected to a boundary wall but I think you could just circumvent them then

The left wall trick only really works for a specific subtype of maze, (specifically, fixed 2 dimensional mazes with external exits and entrance points) and all evidence points to this not being one of those types of maze.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Castomira posted:

So basically Annie is stuck playing Myst III: Exile Nemesis.

I never finished that one... or really got anywhere at all. I should go back and do that at some point...

I also don't even have 4. Finished Myst, Riven, 5, and everything they ever got around to releasing of uru though.

Keiya fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Oct 4, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Isn't Myst 3 the one that formats your hard drive when you uninstall it?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
The mechanics of it look like handcuff locks. I wonder if her lockpick skills are key here?

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Uh oh, the facade begins to crack, but her murder ghost persona hasn't taken over yet.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
That last panel face

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Dammit George you've seen Robot chopped in half before he's fine. You should have been all "You've slain the beast good job let's have some ye olds caketh".

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Splicer posted:

Dammit George you've seen Robot chopped in half before he's fine. You should have been all "You've slain the beast good job let's have some ye olds caketh".

Nah I want a "who betrayed me?" "Twas, I, George!" moment.

Forgall posted:

That last panel face

lol

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

RIP Blue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Now's the time for that Dragonslayer fus roh da