Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

"Losing your powers" is a rite of passage for basically all superheroes and I'd be interested to see that here, but mmmm yeah I doubt Mulligan would ever do that in the foreseeable future.

Ordinary superheroes actually accomplish useful heroics, the point of her character is that her powers aren't actually useful despite being amazing. Losing them wouldn't really do anything useful story-wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Uh... wait a second. Maybe he's the one actually increasing everyones powers he just doesn't know it.
That's what I was thinking, too. How many other abilities have we seen that people just have innately and can't control, like their appearance or what's his face's razor body? He thinks he's suppressing it but its just leaking out anyway, or making his OWN 'amp other people' power stronger which is leaking out like some kind of feedback loop, which would be alarming.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Flesh Forge posted:

I don't think Alison is very good at this negotiation stuff.
Christ, no. You realize the guy is a self-centered egotistical jerkface and you think calling him out about it THEN asking him for help is going to get you anything but thrown out of his house? Really? I wouldn't help her at this juncture, because she's a goddamn idiot.

If its that important to you Allison go beg Patrick to 'change his mind' for you.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
God drat Allison is terrible at this. She's so bad at this that I find myself sympathizing with the people she's arguing against.

She just fundamentally doesn't understand how to do things gradually, does she? Like, it's not hard to recognize that Max has some deep-seated issues that lead to him being an rear end in a top hat. If you start at the root of the problem, I'm sure you could talk him around eventually. Like, if you got Brad to hang out with him, I'm pretty sure that he has the level of emotional understanding that he'd eventually be able to get Max turned around. And maybe then he still doesn't want to use his power, and that's disappointing, but ultimately his decision. You don't charge in, give a bad apology for your previous behavior, insult him to his face, and then ask for his help!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
idonotlikepeas keeps trying to argue how all this embarrassingly silly writing is in service of a larger point, but that point's overdue by, what, six months now

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Allison

Cross-postin'

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The Lord of Hats posted:

God drat Allison is terrible at this. She's so bad at this that I find myself sympathizing with the people she's arguing against.

She just fundamentally doesn't understand how to do things gradually, does she? Like, it's not hard to recognize that Max has some deep-seated issues that lead to him being an rear end in a top hat. If you start at the root of the problem, I'm sure you could talk him around eventually. Like, if you got Brad to hang out with him, I'm pretty sure that he has the level of emotional understanding that he'd eventually be able to get Max turned around. And maybe then he still doesn't want to use his power, and that's disappointing, but ultimately his decision. You don't charge in, give a bad apology for your previous behavior, insult him to his face, and then ask for his help!

Introducing him to Brad would have been a great idea, because maybe he would have got to actually meet a bunch of other people who's dynamorphisms are not just lackluster but outright painful or oppressive to deal with, and then he would have some awareness that being wealthy not-superman is still miles better than being a guy who looks like a dog but still has to manage to work a regular job. Maybe he'd never use his powers anyway, but who knows maybe he would decide to direct some of his money to helping other people in some way. Or even just be less of an rear end in a top hat, which is still a positive thing.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Galvanik posted:

I'd sure like to know what his power does exactly that would help Allison with whatever it is she wants to do.

Even assuming he can just permanently empower random people and boost already powered people even further, I don't see how that would fix the systemic problems she's trying to address.

Nothing systematic, but there are probably lots of supers, Clever included, who wish they didn't have powers. And a large portion of Brad's group. If he can ramp up powers, maybe he can ramp them down, too.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Maybe have a little more tact with this guy who you blew up at last time when you're confronting them with their secret private information that you illegally obtained to get them to help with your dumb charity/outreach/cupcake organization.

Calef
Aug 21, 2007

This comic would honestly be more interesting if it detailed Allison's transformation into a supervillain that tries to force the world to "do good".

Or maybe I can just go read Worm again.

holy poo poo

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Oracle posted:

Christ, no. You realize the guy is a self-centered egotistical jerkface and you think calling him out about it THEN asking him for help is going to get you anything but thrown out of his house? Really? I wouldn't help her at this juncture, because she's a goddamn idiot.

but you know it's going to work anyway :shrug:

Calef posted:

This comic would honestly be more interesting if it detailed Allison's transformation into a supervillain that tries to force the world to "do good".

It really would, but no way :smith:

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

21 White Girl Explains Social Justice

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Oxxidation posted:

idonotlikepeas keeps trying to argue how all this embarrassingly silly writing is in service of a larger point, but that point's overdue by, what, six months now

There are certain things I'm willing to defend about this comic. The pacing is not in any way one of those things.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

A Fanfiction Writer posted:

This comic is afraid of me... I have seen its true face. The pages are extended chapters and the panels are full of words and when the eyes slide off the page, all the heroes will drown. The accumulated letters of all their text and dialogue will foam up about their waists and all the villains and professors will look up and shout "Edit this!"... and I'll look down and whisper "No."

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

but you know it's going to work anyway :shrug:

eh I still don't get this at all. He has been pretty much designed to be someone who would never under any circumstances agree with her. That seems like the point of his entire character, so I'm not sure why you think he is going to suddenly change his ways.

The more interesting question is whether or not he is going to have a working spine when this conversation is over. Though I guess most likely she'll just leave maybe after she crosses some line. Maybe she'll break part of his house? She seems pretty close to losing it here.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
idonotlikepeas, I agree with a lot of your points and just didn't have an effortpost about all it in me.

I do want to point out that Mary is basically inevitable once you start with the superhero premise "superheroes can use their judgment to dispense violence" and then take away (as this comic has) the seemingly baked-in corollary "it's possible to reliably disable someone with violence nonfatally". Trying to draw a parallel to other superheroes is pointless, because Batman and Daredevil beat criminals into unconsciousness or bash a guy in the head several times with a carbon rod and still say with a straight face "I've never killed anyone". Alison killed that one guy with the flamethrower with one punch, and no one acted like that was particularly unusual in this world--it was the threat to kill everyone else that everyone reacted to.

The story leaves room for disagreement with this viewpoint--Brad's story is basically the voice of the point of view that the basic premise of superheroism is flawed. Which is what I think is really important about that chapter--getting at the root of the idea of superheroism, forcing people to really examine it, at a time when superhero media is exploding in popularity. (And though it may have been a sloppy mistake in-universe, Mary getting away was a good story beat--leaving it narratively open-ended leaves the questions the chapter raises open-ended, rather than ending with a nice pat conclusion.)

SlothfulCobra posted:

Maybe have a little more tact with this guy who you blew up at last time when you're confronting them with their secret private information that you illegally obtained to get them to help with your dumb charity/outreach/cupcake organization.

Speaking of which, maybe it was covered in the part of the conversation we didn't see (the part where any specifics at all were explained) but Max seems pretty incurious about how Alison found out about all this.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

JuniperCake posted:

eh I still don't get this at all. He has been pretty much designed to be someone who would never under any circumstances agree with her. That seems like the point of his entire character, so I'm not sure why you think he is going to suddenly change his ways.

The more interesting question is whether or not he is going to have a working spine when this conversation is over. Though I guess most likely she'll just leave maybe after she crosses some line. Maybe she'll break part of his house? She seems pretty close to losing it here.

I agree that's how it should/would go, but I am pessimistic that it actually will. We'll see :shrug:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Speaking of which, maybe it was covered in the part of the conversation we didn't see (the part where any specifics at all were explained) but Max seems pretty incurious about how Alison found out about all this.
Which is made more odd by the fact that he already is aware that this knowledge would require some degree of governmental authority since his mother, a congresswoman buried that information. Maybe what Allison led with was more distracting than the realization that someone you just met a week ago suddenly knows one of your most intimate secrets.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

I choose to believe this is Max's entire rationale because I would kind of love him for it (right to left, I am a nerd).

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

:suspense: will she beat him up and make him join the supersocialjusticefriends?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Flesh Forge posted:

:suspense: will she beat him up and make him join the supersocialjusticefriends?

I kind of hope so. He's an idiot to not have considered the risks of saying no.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Wittgen posted:

I kind of hope so. He's an idiot to not have considered the risks of saying no.

This is something I always wanted the comic to explore more: the privilege of being a super strong, indestructible being. All she needs to do is ask someone to do something, and they would consider what she could do to them, then they would give whatever she wanted to her.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
http://strongfemaleprotagonist.com/issue-6/page-85-2/

John Galt Shkreli is now my favorite character in this comic.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

i really do not like this comic.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
what a grave miscarriage of justice.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 2, 2016

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Ahahaha

And also I never noticed poor Furnace's corpse left to rot in the river, that's some lovely poo poo there.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

ManlyGrunting posted:

what a grave miscarriage of justice.

i'm truly at a loss.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Does Max feel the irony of claiming that someone is going to have deal with not getting what they want when he's literally richy rich with parents who can cover up the fact that he has super powers?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Brought To You By posted:

Does Max feel the irony of claiming that someone is going to have deal with not getting what they want when he's literally richy rich with parents who can cover up the fact that he has super powers?

Probably not, self-awareness isn't exactly Max's strong suit.

And man, there's a lot of people in the comments who are basically the straw men that libertarians like to argue against.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

And also I never noticed poor Furnace's corpse left to rot in the river, that's some lovely poo poo there.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I knew he was dead, I just never noticed that he was literally drawn floating down the river, nobody bothering to recover his body/see if he's alive or whatever. Maybe there's hope he'll come back later in the comic in, y'know, true comic book style but Mulligan seems pretty contemptuous of traditional comics so I guess he's really just floating down the river to fetch up on a log somewhere and rot :shrug:

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Brought To You By posted:

I want Cleaver to show up with Allison and explain how Max is being a pretentious baby.

Then maybe cut him in half...maybe.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

I knew he was dead, I just never noticed that he was literally drawn floating down the river, nobody bothering to recover his body/see if he's alive or whatever. Maybe there's hope he'll come back later in the comic in, y'know, true comic book style but Mulligan seems pretty contemptuous of traditional comics so I guess he's really just floating down the river to fetch up on a log somewhere and rot :shrug:

I just like how that one panel looks out of context.

"This guy is dead." "About time!"

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Oh yeah, that made me laugh a bunch when it was first published too :)

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
See, if this was about Alison's long slide into super villiany, I'd think it had really poor pacing but might end up being a neat story. It's not, though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Mwahahahahah

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

hmmmm...this strikes a particularly poor tone after the drawn out chapter about rape.

EoRaptor posted:

See, if this was about Alison's long slide into super villiany, I'd think it had really poor pacing but might end up being a neat story. It's not, though.

Boy have I got some good news for you! That slide into super villainy? Looks like it won't be that long!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

and then I made the rich libertarian shitbird share his wealth and everyone stood up and clapped

e: Look at how chill she is!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

"So then my superwoman analogue physically forces my Martin Shkreli analogue to further her goal of stopping rapists somehow. Then bam, publish that poo poo on the web!" -Hamhands McWriter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Mikl posted:

"Do what I say or I'll snap your neck and dump your lifeless body in the middle of the Atlantic."

Zerilan posted:

I think this is finally trying to tie poo poo together with that. It may be immoral for Max to not be using his power (although we don't know what effects using his power could have on him, any side effects Allison might not be thinking about, or really anything since we don't know what the power even is yet), but Allison can't just force people to do the right thing.

And here we go.

• Locked thread