Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Erdogan's purge rolls on. Soon there won't be much left at this rate.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Charlie Wilson's War is on HBO this month, looked up his wiki because I had a moment. This stood out to me:

Wikipedia posted:

After Sunday's service, his widow Barbara welcomed a small group of her late husband's intimates to their home on the golf course in Lufkin. Next to an American eagle sculpture in the living room, the words of Abdur Rahman Khan, emir of Afghanistan from 1880 to 1901, are emblazoned on a brass plaque: "My spirit will remain in Afghanistan even though my soul will go to God. My last words to you my son and successor are: Never Trust the Russians."

http://www.dallasnews.com/obituaries/obituaries/2010/02/15/20100214-Memorial-attendees-remember-Charlie-Wilson-with-6073

That's a hell of an epitaph. even for the Cold War.

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 4, 2016

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Rodrigo Duterte tells Obama to go to hell, again threatens to pivot to Russia or China.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

This is gonna end in a coup isnt it?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

LingcodKilla posted:

This is gonna end in a coup isnt it?

lol yeah

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Obama gonna become the president of the Phillipines for his third term.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Sperglord Actual posted:

Erdogan's purge rolls on. Soon there won't be much left at this rate.

hm ok let's fire a large group of people with basic firearms training and close ties to criminals

this will end well

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Smiling Jack posted:

hm ok let's fire a large group of people with basic firearms training and close ties to criminals

this will end well

Basic? The cops were fighting attack helicopters with submachine guns during the coup. It was badass.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

my kinda ape posted:

Basic? The cops were fighting attack helicopters with submachine guns during the coup. It was badass.

BTW I talked to an ex marine cobra pilot and he said they definitely can take small arms fire with low risk to the pilot.

*reignites 6 pages of arguing about this*

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

my kinda ape posted:

that kinda speaks to them having zero military training

Realtalk: Erdogan heavily politicized the police force in Turkey specifically as a counter military coup force but they really really didn't have the training or equipment to go head to head with a real army. even European countries with semi-military national police forces (Gendarmerie, Carabineri, Soviet-Era MVD) couldn't take on a fully supported military coup.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

also never mistake enthusiasm with competence

brains
May 12, 2004

CarForumPoster posted:

BTW I talked to an ex marine cobra pilot and he said they definitely can take small arms fire with low risk to the pilot.

*reignites 6 pages of arguing about this*

btw i talked to an ex apache pilot and 30 of his friends and they all said they can definitely take small arms fire with low risk to the surrounding marshes

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

brains posted:

btw i talked to an ex apache pilot and 30 of his friends and they all said they can definitely take small arms fire with low risk to the surrounding marshes

:golfclap:

... that happened 13 loving years ago holy poo poo I'm old

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
The Army probably staged the attempted coup when it did because it learned about Erdogan's purge list and realized it was now or never.

:smith:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Smiling Jack posted:

that kinda speaks to them having zero military training

Realtalk: Erdogan heavily politicized the police force in Turkey specifically as a counter military coup force but they really really didn't have the training or equipment to go head to head with a real army. even European countries with semi-military national police forces (Gendarmerie, Carabineri, Soviet-Era MVD) couldn't take on a fully supported military coup.

I never said it was a *good* idea, just that they clearly knew how to fire their weapons :v:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

brains posted:

I dunno if 7.62x54 is really "small arms"

Syria would have went better for the rebels if they had an "old man with a Mosin" force to stop the barrel bombings

e- and oldie but a goodie

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

VikingSkull posted:

I dunno if 7.62x54 is really "small arms"

Syria would have went better for the rebels if they had an "old man with a Mosin" force to stop the barrel bombings

e- and oldie but a goodie

Though that was gonna be the Mi-8 getting hit with a Strela midair to crazed chants of ALLAH AKHBAR only for the smoke to clear and it slowly fly away

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Smiling Jack posted:

:golfclap:

... that happened 13 loving years ago holy poo poo I'm old

Explain?

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_attack_on_Karbala

quote:

Apache "Vampire 12", flown by Warrant Officers David S. Williams and Ronald D. Young Jr., was forced down into a marsh after gunfire severed the hydraulics. The air commander's radio was also hit, preventing communication with the other helicopters. Attempting to flee the crash scene, both men swam down a canal, but were captured by armed civilians. The Iraqi government would later show the helicopter on TV and claim that it had been shot down by a farmer with a Brno rifle; however due to the high volume of anti-aircraft fire and the armor of the Apache, it is unlikely that a bolt-action rifle was responsible.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
23mm and 57mm autocannons are not in the same category as submachine guns.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Not with that attitude.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Who remembers the post 9-11 freakout that FIFTY CALLYBER RIFLES CAPABLE OF SHOOTING DOWN A 747 CAN BE PURCHASED AT WAL MART

Black powder muzzle loaders are a hell of a thing.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Mortabis posted:

23mm and 57mm autocannons are not in the same category as submachine guns.

This is a fair point but some of those Apaches did indeed get damaged by small caliber arms. The pilot of one was even wounded by a round from an AKM.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Suspect Bucket posted:

Who remembers the post 9-11 freakout that FIFTY CALLYBER RIFLES CAPABLE OF SHOOTING DOWN A 747 CAN BE PURCHASED AT WAL MART

Black powder muzzle loaders are a hell of a thing.

Sadly I remember this. I also remember the counter-argument "WORLD WAR 2 AIRCRAFT WERE OFTEN RIDDLED WITH .50 BULLETS AND NOT SHOT DOWN"

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Vaguely airpower related - Nigeria destroying oil wells from a chopper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD4Kz94u7iA

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 5, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
let's strap rockets to stuff and see how fast they go

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

CarForumPoster posted:

Safe!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

CarForumPoster posted:

That's gotta be good for the ol' ecosystem!

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I think those are illegal refineries, not wells. I read an article a ways back about the illegal oil trade in Nigeria and I guess these dudes just tap straight into the pipeline, steal the crude, and refine it out in the woods.

It's like Breaking Bad with oil.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Kesper North posted:

That's gotta be good for the ol' ecosystem!

it's ok, we towed it outside the environment

nothing out there but sea, birds, and a fire

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011

Akion posted:

I think those are illegal refineries, not wells. I read an article a ways back about the illegal oil trade in Nigeria and I guess these dudes just tap straight into the pipeline, steal the crude, and refine it out in the woods.

It's like Breaking Bad with oil.

I saw this documentary too! It was very good. One dude sued BP in the Hague and won iirc

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
WOW
http://www.guns.com/2016/10/05/60-year-old-sealed-drums-found-to-have-perfectly-preserved-bombsights-inside-videos/

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
thermite grenades, huh

you aren't fooling me, everyone knows Nordens can't melt ball bearing factories

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/this-is-a-real-tweet-from-the-russian-embassy-in-the-un-1787437075

Idiocy of this aside, I'm sure the EW/SEAD community is anxious to sniff these acquisition radars. Diplomatically it's a 'facepalm' moment, but militarily, it's "hey, while you're at it, bring down S-400s too! Can you make them all current variants, too? Pretty please?"

Of course, given how aggressively they're trying to market S-300 to everyone whose check will clear, I'm *totally* sure this isn't a way to try and demonstrate its efficacy in tracking and/or engaging the Raptor.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Oct 6, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
think they'd get mad if we sent non-uniformed ghost type dudes in to whack the SAM site, and then claim we weren't involved?

I dunno Vlad, it was lil green men I guess

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

VikingSkull posted:

think they'd get mad if we sent non-uniformed ghost type dudes in to whack the SAM site, and then claim we weren't involved?

That's when they lock up (but don't fire on) a B-1 pulling bomb truck duty and claim "oh poo poo, we thought it was the UFO carrying the Little Green Men," or more plausibly, a "training session gone awry, where they thought they were running a simulation, but Sergei flipped the wrong switch."

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That's when they lock up (but don't fire on) a B-1 pulling bomb truck duty and claim "oh poo poo, we thought it was the UFO carrying the Little Green Men," or more plausibly, a "training session gone awry, where they thought they were running a simulation, but Sergei flipped the wrong switch."

lol not alien lil green men, I was tooling on them sending unmarked troops into Ukraine

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Random question: is there a reason the PAK FA doesn't have a NATO reporting name yet? The Su-47 and MiG-1.44 each had one and they flew maybe a dozen times between them. Do we just not give those out anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

VikingSkull posted:

If you're willing to have those ghost type dudes covertly inserted, attempt to infiltrate through hundreds of kilometres of regime/ISIS held territory and face the probable outcome of getting overrun and wiped out by the mechanised battalion stationed at Tartus, and then having to send the secretary of state to Damascus to negotiate the bodies back, then sure, give it a go.

Amongst the kinetic options in dealing with those Russian assets, the use of ground forces is really, really, really not credible.